Ammar Jemal

Super Carlton

So it looks like Sir Woody deserves an apology from the many who gave him crap about a player called Jemmal possibly signing.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?31383-Player-Medical-11.40am-today

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?31383-Player-Medical-11.40am-today&p=1094836#post1094836

I wouldn't hold your hopes up too much Sir Woody!

Needs an appology from who exactly?

i suggested it could be a clever guess that a medical was going on and stand by that. Meant no offence to sir woody as I have already said. Passing on ITK info so late that even the Echo could have announced it doesnt sound like exciting ITK news to me though.

Source?

It seemed he had a medical on Friday if the reports on here were true. Adkins hinted that another signing is very close when talking on Saints Player about De Ridder. From what Ive read about this guy he looks good.

More or less what I had heard

I think he was hanging out for a "better" offer from the Prem

I don't blame him for sourcing the best option

What's Tunisian for "Saints are your best option" ???

I hope he joins us soon

I think its is a lot more likely that the Friday medical was De Ridder.

Ammar Jemal is closing in on a move to Southampton #Saintsfc

@fourth_official

Hope we get this sorted soon. I've not seen much of him, but judging by the interest from the level of clubs...we'd be pulling of something of a coup. (I never thought I'd say that about beating Stoke to a player tbf, but it's true atm...)

He's probably just as good as Matt Mills, maybe slightly better, yet i bet he costs 5 times less than Mills did. This is what you have to do.....there are some absolute gems in European football and if you have the scouting network, you can build one hell of a team with very little outlay. WBA did it a few years back getting the likes of Texiera, Cesar, Koren, Mulumbu, Tamas etc...

Hope we get this sorted soon. I've not seen much of him, but judging by the interest from the level of clubs...we'd be pulling of something of a coup. (I never thought I'd say that about beating Stoke to a player tbf, but it's true atm...)

He's probably just as good as Matt Mills, maybe slightly better, yet i bet he costs 5 times less than Mills did. This is what you have to do.....there are some absolute gems in European football and if you have the scouting network, you can build one hell of a team with very little outlay. WBA did it a few years back getting the likes of Texiera, Cesar, Koren, Mulumbu, Tamas etc...

I agree with this - it's just a more sensible business model. There's no sane way to justify Matt Mills moving from one championship club to another for five million, just as Billy Sharp shouldn't be talked about in terms of 3 million plus. Even in the prem there's been some mental price tags - Henderson and Downing stand out particularly. Granted there are some duff over priced overseas signings as well, but I'd be happier taking a less expensive gamble which probably has the same chance of success as signing a UK based player for much, much more.

from time to time there is an obvious "shortage " of good players (in various positions) in the market.

Example: If you wanted a top class keeper NOW - who would you bid for ?..there are very few available at the best of times.

I think that Mills' fee (£5 million ?) reflects an auction situation rather than a club buying a VG player, and even fewer central defenders are British players with League experience. Hence the influx of foreign (tougher ?) central defenders in many sides.

I think that Mills' fee (£5 million ?) reflects an auction situation rather than a club buying a VG player, and even fewer central defenders are British players with League experience. Hence the influx of foreign (tougher ?) central defenders in many sides.

Yes a phoney auction

Wolves missed out on Matt Mills after refusing to join a phoney bidding war with Leicester.

The 24-year-old defender has signed a four-year deal with the big-spending Championship club, who agreed to pay an initial £4.3million rising to £5.5million.

And Wolves’ offer to Reading for the centre-half was actually less than £3million.

Despite only two clubs chasing his signature, Leicester continued to up the bidding on the misunderstanding that the price was being cranked up by rival offers.

In fact, they were only bidding against themselves for a Championship player who could have walked away for nothing when his contract expired in a year’s time.

Wolves were also unwilling to pay Mills the £25,000 to £30,000 a week wages he will be earning at Leicester.

If he comes to Southampton because Stoke have lost interest, that is by no means "beating Stoke to the signing....". For a North African coming to play in England from Switzerland, ihe shouldn't be expected to have an interest in any particular club and logical that he should look for better money from a club in the Premier League before settling for a second tier club. If he's good enough for NpC level we should be glad to have him, and then set about coaching him to be better. But if we do sign him, I hope we can be spared the PR quotes about how pleased he is to be here, etc., as he'd be pleased to be anywhere that will pay him enough.

If he comes to Southampton because Stoke have lost interest, that is by no means "beating Stoke to the signing....". For a North African coming to play in England from Switzerland, ihe shouldn't be expected to have an interest in any particular club and logical that he should look for better money from a club in the Premier League before settling for a second tier club. If he's good enough for NpC level we should be glad to have him, and then set about coaching him to be better. But if we do sign him, I hope we can be spared the PR quotes about how pleased he is to be here, etc., as he'd be pleased to be anywhere that will pay him enough.

It's the standard stock quotes for any new signing though.

''I'm so happy to be here'' ''The set-up here is amazing'' ''The facilities are premiership class'' ''It didn't take too long to decide, it's a massive club"

etc!

I agree. This really winds me up when a player signs. You can argue it's essentially harmless except for the fact that some people start to think that players have the same emotional attachment to a club that a fan does. Obviously that's rubbish. Problem with that is that when a player leaves (or wants to leave) it's perceived as a betrayal.

He's probably just as good as Matt Mills, maybe slightly better, yet i bet he costs 5 times less than Mills did.

I think he is actually nowhere near as good as Matt Mills. Mills has all the attributes of the modern day Centre Half; tall, strong, great in the air, reads the game well and his distribution is spot on. His transfer fee was massive, but I bet he moves again in a couple of years for a lot, lot more.

I agree. This really winds me up when a player signs. You can argue it's essentially harmless except for the fact that some people start to think that players have the same emotional attachment to a club that a fan does. Obviously that's rubbish. Problem with that is that when a player leaves (or wants to leave) it's perceived as a betrayal.

More a problem with naive fans than the players in my opinion. People can be pleased to be somewhere (i.e. a place of work) and then get an offer from elsewhere impossible to turn down. It doesn't mean they have betrayed anyone, it just means they are looking after their own interests which most of us would do in a heartbeat. Why people feel football should be any different is beyond me. It's their job after all and most people have ambition. The two coupled together mean that you will see players move on sometimes if they receive an offer from a bigger team etc etc. Nothing wrong with that at all. The challenge for the club is always replacing those players with the appropriate quality, something we have struggled to do in the past.

I think he is actually nowhere near as good as Matt Mills. Mills has all the attributes of the modern day Centre Half; tall, strong, great in the air, reads the game well and his distribution is spot on. His transfer fee was massive, but I bet he moves again in a couple of years for a lot, lot more.

Probably would have stayed with us if Beerley hadn't wasted him at left back. Wigley had gone to Man City (after relegating us) and obviously recommended him to Stuart Pearce but if he'd been competing for a CB spot I think he'd have stayed.

Probably would have stayed with us if Beerley hadn't wasted him at left back. Wigley had gone to Man City (after relegating us) and obviously recommended him to Stuart Pearce but if he'd been competing for a CB spot I think he'd have stayed.

I don't think he was ever played at LB, and I think he'd left before Burley had even come in? It's down to Redkanpp as to why he left.

I don't think he was ever played at LB, and I think he'd left before Burley had even come in? It's down to Redkanpp as to why he left.

Yes, Harry's reluctance to play some of the younger players didn't help but don't you remember Mills playing at LB before and after XMAS 2005? He gave one goal away to Shipperley for Sheff Utd's winner at SMS trying to get the ball back onto his right foot. I think Burley was in post by then and Harry had left although my memory may be failing me. To be fair to Burley, he hadn't been here long at the time and we had a few injuries but to me Mills would have been a better partner for Claus with Svensson still injured.

He's taken a lot of abuse from a lot of fans, can't quite see why, as you point out a lot of what he has said has come to fruition.

He often tweets deals which are on the Sky Website later that day. Has some good contacts somehow.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Yes, Harry's reluctance to play some of the younger players didn't help but don't you remember Mills playing at LB before and after XMAS 2005? He gave one goal away to Shipperley for Sheff Utd's winner at SMS trying to get the ball back onto his right foot. I think Burley was in post by then and Harry had left although my memory may be failing me. To be fair to Burley, he hadn't been here long at the time and we had a few injuries but to me Mills would have been a better partner for Claus with Svensson still injured.

Burley came in in early/mid-December 2005 - our first match under him (away at Watford, IIRC) was a bizarre mishmash of kids and fringe players (and Delap at CB) due to an injury crisis and a ton of players who with hindsight had obviously been told they were about to be sold not playing. Mills got into the side around the time and also played at Cardiff, where he looked decent, before leaving shortly after with the rumour (not sure if it was reported at the time or not) being that he'd made up his mind under Redknapp and Burley tried but couldn't stop him going.

I'm not sure he was at LB though, pretty sure he played CB. I'll find the teams and see if we can work out how they fit together.

Mills got into the side around the time and also played at Cardiff, where he looked decent, before leaving shortly after with the rumour (not sure if it was reported at the time or not) being that he'd made up his mind under Redknapp and Burley tried but couldn't stop him going.

You're spot on - and I'm pretty sure it was reported that way too.

As I recall, I read somewhere...

Mills and Crainie were the dynamic duo in the Academy sides under Steve Wigley, but with all the uncertainties surrounding his (Wigley's) exit - - and the yet to be appointed new manager (whichever one that was?) ..Mills became unsettled (and he wasn't the only one).

Mills had only worked with " one manager " for him namely - Wigley and it didn't take too much persuasion for him to follow Wigley to Man.City.

Matt seemed surplus to requirements and the fee (£500K ?) must have seemed a good deal for a young reserve (or so RL must have thought).

As we know neither had a very long tenure with City - who seemed to have changed managers almost as often as we did at that time - and they both went their seperate ways. This is down to one decsion that we didn't make. If Mills had stayed he would surely have got into the first side eventually,

and he was more ambitious than the club who were fighting relegation and debt problems.

He must also have given some consideration to the fact that, at one time or another two of his THREE brothers - was it ?... had all played for Saints youth sides at various times and, as is likely with the last (Joseph) - were let go having failed to make the grade - and move up to the first team.

The Mills' and Goberns of this world (it seems) get picked if the team is playing mediochre /mid table type football with the sole ambition of survival.

If we are fighting relegation - you can't take a chance of your youth players (as the Dutch duo later discovered), and if you are pushing for promotion as with Burley and get to the play-offs - you go for with some experienced faces.

Edited by david in sweden