Morgan

Saint dyer

He only had 30 minutes but for me looked superb. One 70 yard ball to feet forwards was awesome. He always comes and takes responsibilty and wants the ball. He should start for me our most skillful midfielder.

He's good, however it's the CM combo that's important and for me the best matched pair is Chaplow and Cork.

No way should chaplow start. He wasnt very good at end of last season. Hes my last option. Morgan then hammond then chaplow.

Good player but he wont start imo. I reckon Cork is a dead cert but that Nigel won't start with two youngsters in the middle. Of the senior players Hammond is less erratic than Chappers so I think will start with Cork.

Sent from my X1goo0i using Tapatalk

thought MS/JC looked mobile and worked well

I think they could be a decent partnership but think it unlikely that Nigel will start with them. We have options though.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Best 4 CM's we've had for a long long time IMO - proper competition and a real healthy debate.

FWIW I would be very very suprised if Hammond doesn't start, who partners him is up in the air though as I thought Chappers looked great today, same with Morgan and same with Cork

Hammond was also pretty impressive in the first half imo.

Best 4 CM's we've had for a long long time IMO - proper competition and a real healthy debate.

Couldn't agree more. We effectively replaced Wotton with Chaplow and Gobern with Cork.

We've got real quality in the middle of the park now, and it'll serve us well over the course of the season.

For what it's worth, I think Hammond and Cork will start against Leeds, but only time will tell.

For me Cork and Spiderman were an awesome pairing - lots of vitality and energy with Cork often being the most forward of our team. Spiderman still needs to learn to stop scything the opposition down and not to go in with both feet. To be fair to hammand he did break a lot of opposition attacks down but his distribution is nowhere near as good as Spiderman. Chaplow was in headless chicken mode last night - lots of energy with little to show.

Its looking that way but I dont understand why. Just cos ur captain doesnt mean that you should play if other people in this case morgan is better than you.

THe best XI dont always make the best team. The fact is that despite being widely knocked week in week out on here, he started when fit. Doesn't that suggest that maybe just maybe, Nige knows & values him and his contribution to the team is beyond what our forum football experts are able to comprehend?

Notice how Adkins has given Morgan and Cork quite a bit of game time together in the friendlies...

More of a shame is this stupid new subs rule which means one of the four central midfielders is likely to not make the matchday squad, unless we have no keeper on the bench.

Don't need a keeper on the bench, not with only 5 subs.

I still think it will be De Ridder - Hammond - Cork - Lallana.

As much as I think Schneiderlin is a top top player, I'm just not sure whether they will compliment eachother + Hammond deserves to start IMO.

THe best XI dont always make the best team. The fact is that despite being widely knocked week in week out on here, he started when fit. Doesn't that suggest that maybe just maybe, Nige knows & values him and his contribution to the team is beyond what our forum football experts are able to comprehend?

Also known as the Francis Benali conundrum; the influence you have on other players in the dressing room and on the pitch can far outweigh the individual attributes any certain player may have.

I think Schneiderlin is technically better than Hammond; but then Schneiderlin is also IMO too casual and can make too many sloppy mistakes. Also, as skipper Hammond is likely to be a much bigger personality, a very important feature in a closely knit team like ours clearly is.

Last night Cork and Schneiderlin together, unlikely as it seemed, were by far our best midfield on the night. Hammond gave the ball away regularly as did Chaplow who also committed at least half a dozen late tackles turning the ball over to the opponents, which didn't happen with Cork and Schneiderlin. Ball retention is vital and I can't see Adkins playing a midfield that gives the ball away. I think he has made up his mind that we are going to play a ball retention passing game but is still giving all the players a chance.

Last night Cork and Schneiderlin together, unlikely as it seemed, were by far our best midfield on the night. Hammond gave the ball away regularly as did Chaplow who also committed at least half a dozen late tackles turning the ball over to the opponents, which didn't happen with Cork and Schneiderlin. Ball retention is vital and I can't see Adkins playing a midfield that gives the ball away. I think he has made up his mind that we are going to play a ball retention passing game but is still giving all the players a chance.

Why is that unlikely? Quite a few people have said that's their preferred midfield partnership.

Technically speaking I definitely think that's our best partnership. I think Adkins will go with Hammond & Cork though, as Hammond is his skipper and it's often a little bit more than just individual talent that makes it.

Back to the original point of the thread, Morgan is the most obvious member of the squad yet to be signed up on a new deal, although seem to be only doing one at a time. I hope it is in progress and not due to any desire of his to leave at teh end of his contract. I await news soon he has signed an extension.

Why is that unlikely? Quite a few people have said that's their preferred midfield partnership.

Technically speaking I definitely think that's our best partnership. I think Adkins will go with Hammond & Cork though, as Hammond is his skipper and it's often a little bit more than just individual talent that makes it.

Because one of them would have to change their game and play box to box. Cork looks as though he is happy to do this leaving Schneiderlin to continue playing his way. Hammond might wear the armband but he is no leader or driver.

Because one of them would have to change their game and play box to box. Cork looks as though he is happy to do this leaving Schneiderlin to continue playing his way. Hammond might wear the armband but he is no leader or driver.

Exactly I was hoping that we would get in an experienced midfielder of centre back who could be the leader on the field something we do seem to lack

Back to the original point of the thread, Morgan is the most obvious member of the squad yet to be signed up on a new deal, although seem to be only doing one at a time. I hope it is in progress and not due to any desire of his to leave at teh end of his contract. I await news soon he has signed an extension.

I don't think Hammond is signed on beyond the end of the season either.Our pick any 2 from 4 is peturbing them, as NA says they all want to be in the starting XI.

It wasn't that long ago that the French U21 Manager (or a member of the national team stuff at one of the age group levels) was giving Schneiderlin grief saying he needed to be playing at a higher level. Do we think that the Championship will appease that requirement because I hope he stays - would be good to get his contract sorted before the start of the season. 12 months left on a good players contract is a dangerous thing for the owning club.

I think Cork is a dead cert to start, and rightly so. I would go for Morgan to partner him at home and Chaplow or Hammond away but I doubt it will work like that.

This.

As i've said before Morgan seems to stuggle away from home.

Did you learn this whilst in the changing rooms, before, after and at half time during games last season?

Did you learn this whilst in the changing rooms, before, after and at half time during games last season?

I literally cannot believe that post. Amazing. He's been a captain for more than one football league side (one who just got promoted), but he's not a leader or a driver. Suuuuuuure he isn't.

if you arrive at the ground and hear the team, can't see anyone thinking that any combination of the four is disappointing.

personal choice would be Morgan and Jack, expect Hammond to start though due to his experience / captaincy etc

I think Cork is a dead cert to start, and rightly so. I would go for Morgan to partner him at home and Chaplow or Hammond away but I doubt it will work like that.

I'd actually be more inclined to go Cork (defensive) + Chaplow (attack) at home and Cork (defensive\attack) + Hammond (defensive) away.

4th choice in the player of the season awards, our best midfielder pre season ( adkinds words ) and some people rate cork over him who's played all of 2 games.

He was a long way from being the best midfielder against WBA. He and Chaplow gave the ball away regularly, we didn't keep the ball until Schneiderlin and Cork came together. Cork scored, nearly got another and hardly missed a pass.

The midfielders will depend upon the opposition, the competition ( ie league, fa cup or league cup) and if its home or away, if its a good pitch or not and the time of year and if there are injuries or international call ups. It may also depend upon result(s) required at the end of year. Last but not least it will be affected by FORM, GOALSCORING AND SUSPENSIONS.

For me, Adam is the outstanding talent followed by Cork and Morgan, but every talented team needs its gregario or domestiques - or even super domestiques - for me Hammond and Chaplow come into that category and they are just as important as Cork or Morgan in that regard...though we have no clear replacement for Adam unless De Ridder is allowed that role....

Edited by Giordano
sp.

4th choice in the player of the season awards, our best midfielder pre season ( adkinds words ) and some people rate cork over him who's played all of 2 games.

Yeah, it's funny how fans would rate a player who has played for England at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21, is still very young, and has played in the Premier League, over a player who has played most of his career in the 3rd tier of English football.

He was a long way from being the best midfielder against WBA. He and Chaplow gave the ball away regularly, we didn't keep the ball until Schneiderlin and Cork came together. Cork scored, nearly got another and hardly missed a pass.

hmmmm well the game i watched saw Saints absolutely boss the WBA midfield for almost the entire 1st half thanks mainly to Chaplow and Hammond who both kept us ticking over very nicely thank you very much ... I admit that Cork and Schneiderlin both produced some lovely vision and cute touches when they came on tho... as ive said before elsewhere our Nigel has a lovely problem of who to select when all are fighting fit.. and some great reassurance of quality in depth when they are not.

Just play them all and do a Barca, play with no strikers...

---------Bart-----------

Butters---- Fonte-- Martin---- Harding

---------------Morgan ------------

---------Cork-----------Hammond----

Riddler-------- Lallana--------- Oxo

We dont need strikers we have too many good midfielders :p

Just play them all and do a Barca, play with no strikers...

---------Bart-----------

Butters---- Fonte-- Martin---- Harding

---------------Morgan ------------

---------Cork-----------Hammond----

Riddler-------- Lallana--------- Oxo

We dont need strikers we have too many good midfielders :p

What about Guly ?!?!

hmmmm well the game i watched saw Saints absolutely boss the WBA midfield for almost the entire 1st half thanks mainly to Chaplow and Hammond who both kept us ticking over very nicely thank you very much ... I admit that Cork and Schneiderlin both produced some lovely vision and cute touches when they came on tho... as ive said before elsewhere our Nigel has a lovely problem of who to select when all are fighting fit.. and some great reassurance of quality in depth when they are not.

Giving the ball away plus Richardson doing the same is not going to be allowed by the management, together with Chaplow committing at least six late tackles. In a league match he might have had to be substituted. Adkins is looking to play possession football from the back. Richardson, Hammond and Chaplow will give the ball away, Schneiderlin and Cork won't.

Its like a pishhhhing game with some of you big boyzz.....

My midfielder is better than yours.....

I have played at a higher level than you and therefore I know more than you...

I am a coach with 27 coaching badges and know more than Pards and Wotte .....

Some of you even come on the same thread several times to shout other opinions down.....

Is this called debate or we have a genuine selection problem with a group of very good midfielders who on top of their game will give

the Manager a biggg headache...

On top of the magnificent four we have Ward-Prowse who is believed will be pushing our first team players very quickly...

Come on our Nigel over to you...

WIFM