Hats off to the EDL

dune

Cant be bothered to read this thread in full, but its simple the EDL have no right to use the Poppy to promote their political agenda. Politicising it is the reason FIFA banned it see the irony! beacause of the actions of organisations like the EDL the ban was imposed. Bunch of muppets.

Jolly decent of them to show their respect on Armistice Day.

Near the Cenotaph as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15697632

The organisation had said it would be in Westminster on Armistice Day to pay its respects to military personnel who had been killed or injured.

Police said 57 arrests were made to "prevent a breach of the peace".

The EDL said it originally planned to stop members of the Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) group from burning poppies near the Royal Albert Hall in Kensington. MAC had said it would stage an anti-Armistice Day protest for the second year running.

But on Thursday, Home Secretary Theresa May announced MAC had been banned, and the organisation was disbanded.

The EDL then urged its members to gather peacefully in Westminster on Friday "to remember the sacrifice of the fallen".

On its Facebook page, the EDL said police were "taking patriots out of pubs in tens and nicking them for breach of peace".

Much as I dislike the EDL, arresting people before they have committed any crime makes me distinctly uneasy.

Yes I agree, but on the other hand it makes me very uneasy to see a bunch of racists trying to misuse the poppy, or indeed the national flag, to promote their cause. This attempt by the EDL to make political capital out of Remembrance Day really scrapes the bottom of the moral barrel.

Yes I agree, but on the other hand it makes me very uneasy to see a bunch of racists trying to misuse the poppy, or indeed the national flag, to promote their cause. This attempt by the EDL to make political capital out of Remembrance Day really scrapes the bottom of the moral barrel.

Regardless, they shouldn't be arrested for not doing anything. Down that path lays a dystopian future.

Regardless, they shouldn't be arrested for not doing anything. Down that path lays a dystopian future.

Breach of the Peace is a very wooly law. You can be arrested if, in the opinion of a police officer, you remaining where you are is likely to cause a breach of the peace. It's not a criminal offence, more a preventative measure.

What's the problem? They were arrested to prevent a breach of the peace. They'll get released and dine out on the story for weeks to come. It prevented any ugly scenes, so fair enough, I say. I wouldn't worry about "1984". There just aren't enough coppers to enforce a police state.

I think it was ill judged to attend as a group. It politicises a non political moment of respect and remembrance. In this instance the police were right to take draconian action just as they would be completely justified to ignore civil liberties and wade into any Islamists who tried to disrupt proceedings.

What's the problem? They were arrested to prevent a breach of the peace. They'll get released and dine out on the story for weeks to come. It prevented any ugly scenes, so fair enough, I say. I wouldn't worry about "1984". There just aren't enough coppers to enforce a police state.

They were doing nothing wrong and you think that nicking them for doing nothing is acceptable?

I despise the EDL but the OB are out of order.

Breach of the Peace is a very wooly law. You can be arrested if, in the opinion of a police officer, you remaining where you are is likely to cause a breach of the peace. It's not a criminal offence, more a preventative measure.

I think the EDl is a pointless organisation, but what the pigs did there sounds like bullsh!t. If they are causing hassle fair enough, but to arrest them because the plod think they might cause trouble is nonsense. That behavour is only going to add support for groups like the EDL.

I think the EDl is a pointless organisation, but what the pigs did there sounds like bullsh!t. If they are causing hassle fair enough, but to arrest them because the plod think they might cause trouble is nonsense. That behavour is only going to add support for groups like the EDL.

This. Lets face it, if a group of Saints fans were arrested in a pub pre-match for a potential 'breach of the peace' when they hadn't done anything, this place would be in uproar.

I think it was ill judged to attend as a group. It politicises a non political moment of respect and remembrance. In this instance the police were right to take draconian action just as they would be completely justified to ignore civil liberties and wade into any Islamists who tried to disrupt proceedings.

Good Lord, I agree!

Clueless.

This. Lets face it, if a group of Saints fans were arrested in a pub pre-match for a potential 'breach of the peace' when they hadn't done anything, this place would be in uproar.

Spot on!! When you think of the fuss people are already making re the 'bubble' for the skate game, this sort of thing would create anger and uproar on a scale never seen before in the history of Saintsweb!!!

Are you a member of this group? as you seem to have a go at posters slagging them off alot on this forum without offering any reasonable debate or reason apart from one or two word posts.
i think he believes in them and what they say for public consumption but thats up to him and i have had mates in the past who defended and believed the nf and and.bnp propganda and now years later are ashamed that they were involved with that scum and are now some of the bigest anti racists now.

that does not make them bad people just gulible and i expect has they get older they will see the light.

Are you a member of this group? as you seem to have a go at posters slagging them off alot on this forum without offering any reasonable debate or reason apart from one or two word posts.

While it does attract more than it's fair share of idiots, I completely understand where the people behind EDL are coming from. The vast majority are genuine, passionate patriots, angered and frustrated by the behaviour of significant sections of the muslim communities in this country. I can see where the EDL are coming from and while you won't see me on any of their marches, I do sympathise with their position. They aren’t run by politicians educated at Oxbridge, supported by an established spin machine, so they won’t always get their point across in the best way. But if you were to strip down their views to the basics, plenty of normal working class people in this country would agree with them.

While it does attract more than it's fair share of idiots, I completely understand where the people behind EDL are coming from. The vast majority are genuine, passionate patriots, angered and frustrated by the behaviour of significant sections of the muslim communities in this country. I can see where the EDL are coming from and while you won't see me on any of their marches, I do sympathise with their position. They aren’t run by politicians educated at Oxbridge, supported by an established spin machine, so they won’t always get their point across in the best way. But if you were to strip down their views to the basics, plenty of normal working class people in this country would agree with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuNuqIev8M

passionate patroits oh dear the same language the nf and bnp :rolleyes:use and frustrated by the behaviour of significant sections of the muslim communities in this country-i always thought it was a minority but i expect you think different.

on this day the real patriots are those who died fighting against facism real heros not beer swigging louts of edl bnp and nf and who had any guts would join the army and fight for queen and country.

Not sure what your point is? Not even going to bother watching the vid, read the first line of my post.

They are all like that. Thugs and incoherent imbeciles. I hate to insult, but it is true.

Sure, they should be allowed to voice their opinion(no-one should be silenced, even if their opinion is abhorrent), and it should be addressed, but they are extremists.

You sound like a pair of posh, members of the surburban chattering classes "oh, they're beer drinking louts how frightfully distasteful" :lol:

Oh please... I drink beer just like anyone else. It's hardly the point.

I know their types, I've met plenty of the left wing variety on Protests I've been on. Everything to say, and understanding of nothing. There basically just for some 'action'.

You sound like a pair of posh, members of the surburban chattering classes "oh, they're beer drinking louts how frightfully distasteful" :lol:well thank you lord snooty for your witty reply its so funny i,m splitting my sides with your wit ha ha:lol: must read your copy of the beano soon:)

Oh please... I drink beer just like anyone else. It's hardly the point.

I know their types, I've met plenty of the left wing variety on Protests I've been on. Everything to say, and understanding of nothing. There basically just for some 'action'.

Which was sort of the point of my original post, so I'm really not sure what your point is? The nature of the EDL (and as you say protests of that kind in general) will always attract knobs. Doesn't mean the underlying message doesn't have some validity.

Which was sort of the point of my original post, so I'm really not sure what your point is? The nature of the EDL (and as you say protests of that kind in general) will always attract knobs. Doesn't mean the underlying message doesn't have some validity.

Their underlying message doesn't have validity though. The idea that Muslims coming to the UK somehow threatens the English identity and way of life is bull****. They aren't making you do anything, and they certainly aren't imposing our law on us, and there is certainly no way that Sharia Law will EVER be put in place in this country above our law, as the EDL sometimes like to stir.