Markus Liebherr memorial cup

ladysaint

be disappointing if only 10k there to remember ML and what he has done for us.

Well it was disappointing that the attendance this year was so low. I cant see it being any different and I dont think its a snub to Markus, people just dont do pre-season games in large numbers.

The flag was partly a symbol of how high the fans hold Markus and the club wont display the thing.

Well it was disappointing that the attendance this year was so low. I cant see it being any different and I dont think its a snub to Markus, people just dont do pre-season games in large numbers.

The flag was partly a symbol of how high the fans hold Markus and the club wont display the thing.

I don't think it was disappointing at all. It's entirely understandable that not a lot of people are interested in Orr season friendliest.

if we are promoted....and we get Napoli and A.N.OTHER top Euro side, it'll be a good test of our squad against other future European opposition.

I won't expect it to be friendly practice games, but a chance to see us matched against class continental opposition.

If the crowds are low (as some predict)... it'll be more the result of summer holiday planning, rather than a lack of interest from Saints fans.

I wouldn't call Napoli a top European side.

I think they've proven this year that they're up there. They took Chelsea all the way.

Players like Cavani, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Inler - top top international class players. They're a neat team

I wouldn't call Napoli a top European side.

Jeez, I suspect you're one of the only ones - which sport are you talking about?! Cavani and Lavezzi are unreal.

It was a good little day last year. Plenty of bits and pieces to keep the kids amused inbetween the matches and I would imagine the Markus flag will see another outing going on what JustMike said. Enjoyed the format too.

Has the date actually been set for 14th July ?

That seems very early given that the Euro's are on until presumably end of June, and the season starts later in August due to the Olympic yawn.

Yes it has. The date coincides with the olympic torch going around the stadium, which will be at some point during the day.

Has the date actually been set for 14th July ?

That seems very early given that the Euro's are on until presumably end of June, and the season starts later in August due to the Olympic yawn.

It was confirmed by Cortese in the article on the OS earlier in the week, as the Olympic torch will be coming round the stadium during the tournament

I have to go to my niece's wedding on the 14th July. I'm a right plastic, me.

It's better then having to go to your brothers wedding on the first day of next season, having not missed a single game this season...

I think they've proven this year that they're up there. They took Chelsea all the way.

Players like Cavani, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Inler - top top international class players. They're a neat team

Form yes but top European side, no. They've won the uefa cup once, as have Ipswich Town. I might pop along though since, as you say, currently they are pretty good.

Form yes but top European side, no. They've won the uefa cup once, as have Ipswich Town. I might pop along though since, as you say, currently they are pretty good.

So on that basis Chelsea aren't a top european side? Or Man City?

I wonder if Arsenal will be part of the tournament? Someone mentioned on here a pre-season friendly as part of the Oxo deal?

Now that could be interesting and bring the crowds in?

No chance if we are promoted.

I wonder if Arsenal will be part of the tournament? Someone mentioned on here a pre-season friendly as part of the Oxo deal?

They host their own tournament at the Emirates, unlikely they'll want to take part in 2 tournaments in 1 summer. More likely our friendly vs them will just be an ordinary friendly.

Napoli and a Spanish team I think. Perhaps Bilbao again.

That date is far too early for it to be a worthwhile pre-season game for Saints.

One of the reasons the crowd was so low for the previous ML tournament was the late announcement of details. It stopped me going and I'd have otherwise made it down.

So on that basis Chelsea aren't a top european side? Or Man City?

Correct. Neither has won much unlike Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, juventus, Milan, Manu.

having said that Chelsea are 3rd in the Uefa club rankings. Man City are about 28th. Napoli are 55th.

I wouldn't call Napoli a top European side.[/QUOTE]

well they are certainly better placed than Saints in the Euro-table, and will most certainly qualify for one of the Euro tournaments next season.

Napoli are currently 5th in SERIE A, (the Italian Premiership) which is dominated by Milan and Juventus.

They have lost only 5 of 28 games, and are only 1 point behind the third placed side .

They are second highest scorers (behind Milan) and have one of the best GD in that division. not bad opposition - wouldn't you say?

I wonder who else Cortese will turn up with ?

I wouldn't call Napoli a top European side.[/QUOTE]

well they are certainly better placed than Saints in the Euro-table, and will most certainly qualify for one of the Euro tournaments next season.

Napoli are currently 5th in SERIE A, (the Italian Premiership) which is dominated by Milan and Juventus.

They have lost only 5 of 28 games, and are only 1 point behind the third placed side .

They are second highest scorers (behind Milan) and have one of the best GD in that division. not bad opposition - wouldn't you say?

I wonder who else Cortese will turn up with ?

David, yes, like I said above their form is good currently and I might pop along to see them as they are attractive opposition. Ofcourse they are higher in the euro rankings than Saints. Are we even ranked? But that doesn't make them a top european side. Fulham are ranked higher than Napoli though I wouldn't turn up to see them pre-season

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/9189529/West-Hams-Ravel-Morrison-eager-for-chance-to-prove-he-has-cleaned-up-his-act-since-leaving-Manchester-United.html

Arsenal rumour surfaces in the telegraph today

Olympic Torch in Southampton on 14th July follows this route :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/19_03_12_day57_bournemouth_southampton.pdf

Leaves the ferry terminal at 17:41 so will be at St Mary's around 6pm. What we don't know is when the match will be played on that day - could be a 4pm kick off and come around after the match, could be a 5pm kick off and happen at half time or could come around before an evening kick off.

17:41 : Southampton ferry forecourt

Day 57 Southampton Bugle St

57 Southampton Bugle St - Right Turn

57 Southampton Hamtun St - Right Turn

57 Southampton Castle Way - Veer Left

57 Southampton West St - Left Turn

57 Southampton High St

57 Southampton Above Bar Street

57 Southampton Above Bar Street - Right Turn

57 Southampton New Rd - Right Turn

57 Southampton Palmerston Road

57 Southampton Palmerston Road - Left Turn

57 Southampton Houndwell Place - Right Turn

57 Southampton A33 Evans St - Left Turn

57 Southampton St Mary's St - Veer Right

57 Southampton Chapel Rd

57 Southampton Chapel Rd - Left Turn

57 Southampton Granville Street - Left Turn

57 Southampton Stanford Street - Veer Right

57 Southampton Malborough Street

57 Southampton St Mary's Stadium Entrance

57 Southampton Pitch Side - Right Turn

57 Southampton Pitch Side - Left Turn

57 Southampton St Mary's Stadium Entrance - Left Turn

57 Southampton Car park - Right Turn

57 Southampton Marine Parade

57 Southampton Marine Parade - Right Turn

57 Southampton Chapel Road

57 Southampton Chapel Road - Left Turn

http://l2012.cm/FPJdEA if you want to see it in map form.

The following day it leaves London Rd at 6am and tootles down the Avenue for a bit before getting transferred off elsewhere.

Edited by The9

It`s a bit disappointing that the Ted Bates trophy has been erased from the pre season calender. Just saying like.....

The trophy itself is still on display in the foyer near the Players' Entrance though, which is nice.

If it's the same format as previously, I would recommend the Liebherr Trophy to anyone considering a freindly. The format of 3 teams in shortened games meant you got to see Saints play against a couple of different styles and most of the squad getting a run out. Because it's a freindly nature with each team having time off you can get around and chat to all different parties. Take advantage of the Liebherr suite and it really was a memorable day, even had a chat with Adkins. Disappointed it was such a low crowd but that is to be expected at that date but made everything seem a lot more accessable. The format, the three games I thought was excellent and it would not surprise me if Arsenal turned up, it just seemed like excellent preparation at that time of the season.

Arsenal are definitely one of the teams playing, haven't heard anything about the other team.

Arsenal have announced their pre-season programme or at least part of it.They're going to Malaysia for a training camp and play

one local side there,'bout the end of July I think.Then they go to Hong Kong and Pekin I think and somewhere along the way they play Manchester City in an exhibition match,no doubt for mega bucks. Couldn't say where we fit into all that,afterwards perhaps but that might not leave much time before the season starts.

why no chance..?

Other than in one of these mini Tournaments I can't think of one single time when two teams in the same division played each other in a pre-season friendly. Arsenal already have their annual Emirates Cup tournament so can't see them wanting to get involved in a 2nd.

Other than in one of these mini Tournaments I can't think of one single time when two teams in the same division played each other in a pre-season friendly. Arsenal already have their annual Emirates Cup tournament so can't see them wanting to get involved in a 2nd.

no Emirates cup this summer, don't want it to clash with the Olympics.

Arsenal have announced their pre-season programme or at least part of it.They're going to Malaysia for a training camp and play

one local side there,'bout the end of July I think.Then they go to Hong Kong and Pekin I think and somewhere along the way they play Manchester City in an exhibition match,no doubt for mega bucks. Couldn't say where we fit into all that,afterwards perhaps but that might not leave much time before the season starts.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-to-visit-malaysia-on-summer-tour

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that the first-team squad will once again be travelling to Malaysia to play a match in Kuala Lumpur in July.

The Gunners will be visiting for the second consecutive year, following their successful summer Asia tour in July 2011, during which the Club played matches in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Hangzhou, China.

After arriving in Kuala Lumpur, the first-team squad will take part in an open training session in the Bukit Jalil Stadium, Kuala Lumpur, on Monday, July 23, an event which was attended by over 30,000 people last year.

On Tuesday, July 24, Arsenal will play a match against a Malaysia XI, once again in the Bukit Jalil Stadium, Kuala Lumpur, kick off 9.45pm local time.

The visit to Malaysia is the first leg of Arsenal’s 2012 Tour. After the match in Kuala Lumpur, the Gunners will be travelling to China to play against Manchester City in Beijing on Friday, July 27. The team will then visit Hong Kong for a match against Kitchee FC on Sunday, July 29.

Arsenal Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis said: “Further to the overwhelming success of our visit to Kuala Lumpur in 2011, everyone associated with Arsenal is very excited to once again be visiting Malaysia this year.

“We are delighted that our many loyal fans in Malaysia and neighbouring regions will again have the chance to see their team in action live. We had a fantastic time in Malaysia last year and we are all looking forward to visiting this great country and meeting its wonderful people again in July.”

Ticket details and travel options for supporters wishing to attend the match in Kuala Lumpur will feature soon on Arsenal.com, together with any developments and news regarding Arsenal’s summer pre-season schedule.

hey, NC has steered us top of the league

you must be gutted

LOL

As my gran used to say, 'you my friend know the cost of everything....and the value of nothing'. She also used to come up with some complete bat****. But I think this one just about nails it.