• Pearce
    • Skacel
    • Lallana
    • Surman
    • Euell
    • DMG
    • Perry
    • Schneiderlin

If we still had, Saganowski, John and Rasiak at our disposition we would already be in administration and we probably wouldn't be able to pay them.

Seems to me we could have not bothered with a few of the signings and the money saved could have paid for most of Stern's or Gregor's wages.

Robertson, Gasmi, Pearce, Cork, Pulis, Forecast and the rest of them, or a 20-goal-a-season striker............

I wasn't there today, so won't bother commenting on the game and further than to say I expected we would lose and we did.

The manager lost that for us today.

If Perry had started things could not have been as bad as that first 30 minutes.

Second half we were spirited and organised. The first half was a shambles. Euell was as effective as anybody until he went (which looked very harsh - they didn't even appeal).

Cork was good.

Morgan was good.

Surman was good.

BWP was good

Lancashire is the most lost player I have seen in a long while. Within 5 years he will be playing for (or against) Totton.

McG is not any kind of answer for us going forward. Does not hold it. Does not do the simple thing. We haven't the time for him to learn "alone" this year.

The way the first half was going we could have let in six - against an average looking side.

Brum and Reading will be the automatic two. Wolves are not good enough.

Well done the saints for another heroic loss, thats what I like to see, the old British Bulldog spirit, go down but go down fighting.

Actually, I have a British Bulldog, he cost me a fortune, he only wakes up to be fed, he smells bad, and he will occasionally sh*t on the carpet.

Seriously, I don't really care any more if we play well but still lose, now, only wins count and if we don't start doing so on a more regular basis we are sunk.

It was us bossing the second half that shut up the Wolves crowd. They were very subdued.

No it wasn't. They were also poor in the first half too, when they were two goals up. I was sat virtually at the aisle that separated them from us. Worst set of fans I can remember considering their league position.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy:

"I don't know at the end of it whether we're worthy winners or whether we got out of jail a bit in the second half.

"A third goal would have killed the game but of course they went up the other end and scored and it made it a nervy second half.

"They kept passing and playing and I'm pleased we managed to come away with the points."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy:

"I don't know at the end of it whether we're worthy winners or whether we got out of jail a bit in the second half.

"A third goal would have killed the game but of course they went up the other end and scored and it made it a nervy second half.

"They kept passing and playing and I'm pleased we managed to come away with the points."

Correct me if I am wrong but a few Managers have said similar nice things about the Saints side......The nice side that we are at times needs to start winning, as all the nice things said will not count and we will be in the lower leagues playing some of those really not so nice teams......We have to get better at winning and that is where we seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Its easy to be complimentary when you walk away with 3 points......but Saints play "pretty. pointless" football week in/week out and get beaten and can't score.......so it doesn't matter what the winning opposition managers say..........the fact is the product has no end result and thaty will only get thye club into League 1 and administration..........90% of fans would rather play ugly and win............ not pretty and lose virtually every week!!

My ratings for Saints v Wolves :

K Davis 7.5 - horribly exposed by his defence but still gave his usual excellent shot-stopping display .

J Cork 6 - better going forward than defending , kinda like a younger Alex Ostlund . Playing out of position IMO .

O Lancashire 5 - novice CB , you just can't play 2 inexperienced young CB's at the same time :mad: especially with Perry available .

A Pearce 5.5 - promising player but very raw , an obvious threat at corners but his distribution is awful .

R Skacel 6 - not obviously better than any other Saints player despite his unaffordable salary , could be more effective up field ?

M Schniederlin 7.5 - good young player , will go far in the game .

A Surman 6 - not one of his better games but willing enough and an automatic starter in this team .

O Gobern 4 - clearly not ready for the 1st team at this time , loan him out to L1/2 .

A Lallana 8 MOTM - obviously very talented but not quite influential enough (as yet) to boss the game .

J Euell 6 - honest pro and much better than Wotton , never going to be great however . His red card looked very harsh to me .

DMG 6.5 - worked his shocks off in the thankless lone striker role but crucially can't hold play up or take chances regularly at CCC level .

Substitutes :

BWP 4.5 - hit the post but then disappeared as usual . I really can't stand this player .

J Robertson 5 - a late sub (too late?) didn't get much of a chance .

C Perry 7 - a welcome replacment for Lancashire , should have started IMO .

Summary :

Terrible defending meant we were 2 down after 20 minutes and looking down and out . For some reason Euells red card seemed to galvanise the team and they gave it a real go 2nd half and may be considered unlucky not to get something . As ever the 4-3-3 system is part of the problem rather than the solution and why we persist with it remains a mystery to this reviewer .

Chris Iwelumo was virtually unstoppable - a big strong lump of a centre forward are all any away team needs for success at SMS it seems to me - I swear he didn't lose a header until Chris Perry came on . If we don't learn to cope with players like this we may have to wait a very long time before we see SFC win at home again .

PS - the ref must come from Fratton or Wolverhampton , he was shocking !

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Well I was there and I must say that it was Cork's most disappointing game for us. He looked off the pace and was roasted a few times including for the second goal. He gave up on some passes to run on to as well.

DMG I think suffers from the 'one up front' formation - he can head the ball on and down quite well but had nobody to run off him. Jan P has a difficult job but if I have one complaint about him it is the formation.

We deserved at least a point from a match ruined by the ref and Euell's 'victim' feigning injury (he didn't even have the sense to pretend to limp off the field) and if they keep playing this way I'll still be there watching them. Let's face it, the only hope for success of any kind these days is to have a billionaire benefactor, so until one comes along we can at least hope to be entertained.

COYS

Andy

I'm sorry but you are bang out of order with vitrually everything you say in this post. It must also be difficult to be so negative from so far away. Basically, on this occasion you just do not know what you are talking about.

I have just got in from the game and my reactions are very confused as I am so angry with the ref and the skinny grey haired linesman who only made a decision when he could be wrong, otherwise he didn't bother and yet I am so made up with the performance of our lads. We could easily have had two penalties and were not given a fraction of the free kicks we deserved around their box.

We came out of the traps very quickly and played some delightful football, but they went down our end with more or less their first attack and scored. We then took time to settle and they had their only period of dominence in the game culminating in their second goal. There was a sense of injustice throughout the ground and our players responded magnificently. We put pressure on them and Pearce crashed in a magnificent header.

We were on top for the remainder of the game and played some of the best football I have seen at this ground. They not only played flowing football, but they showed spirit, fight and a will to win. I feel with different officials they would have won by several goals. I really thought the doom and gloomers would of had a night of after such a terrific display by my team.

If we can maintain the good qualities we showed today for the rest of the season we will be fine.

Excellent summary of the game. We started of well until they scored their first goal then the defence was at sixes and sevens, you just knew they would score on their next attack and thay did. Getting a goal back just after they scored their second lifted the players spirits and we had a couple more efforts before Euell was sent off. Second half saw a great fightback by the saints and although we had few chances (hitting the post, couple of saves by their goalie and a missed open goal) Wolves looked like they could score as well.The ref was diabolical imo. Two penalties missed by the ref (a McGoldrick foul and a handball), Euell sent of when it looked like a fifty fifty tackle, a foul on the edge of the Wolves box which the ref waved play on, only for our player to then foul a Wolves player for a free kick to Wolves. The ref then booked the Wolves player who fouled our player just a few seconds earlier clearly pointing to the spot where it was committed. Now I can only assume he played advantage to us from that foul, an advantage we clearly did not have. Great support by the crowd especially the northam, Wolves fans very quiet considering they are top and were winning.

Why do we have such a problem dealing with meat head strikers like Iwelumo, Adebola etc?

Strikers must love playing against us right now, if it wasn't for Davis we would be bottom of the league. Superb again today as he has been all season. I thought Schneiderlin and Lallana where both good again. Surman was dross he couldn't do a thing right, hopefully it's just a blip because he's been great all season.

Well I was there and I must say that it was Cork's most disappointing game for us. He looked off the pace and was roasted a few times including for the second goal. He gave up on some passes to run on to as well.

DMG I think suffers from the 'one up front' formation - he can head the ball on and down quite well but had nobody to run off him. Jan P has a difficult job but if I have one complaint about him it is the formation.

We deserved at least a point from a match ruined by the ref and Euell's 'victim' feigning injury (he didn't even have the sense to pretend to limp off the field) and if they keep playing this way I'll still be there watching them. Let's face it, the only hope for success of any kind these days is to have a billionaire benefactor, so until one comes along we can at least hope to be entertained.

COYS

Andy

Agreed Cork was rubbish today at defending, a bit better going forward although his reading of the ball was lost sometimes. McGoldrick needs a partner up front, he cannot play on his own and we need to play 4 4 2 at home.

game with a bit of everything: goals, red cards, controversy, atmosphere, crap ref, fans trying to beat each other up

first half wolves were superb going forward i would say without doubt they were the best team i have seen at st.mary's since we went down. in fact even in the days of arsenal/man u etc coming to SMS i have never seen a team just run through our defence like that. WW is certainly not exaggerating with 4-0 being possible, in fact if the finishing was better then would have been 4

second half saints were great and wolves were average but we couldnt get the goal we needed. i think euell getting sent off really spurred us on. bwp hit the post and mcgoldrick should have had a penalty from where i was there was no doubt about it.

we are so close to being so good but we are just missing something. an experienced striker would help so much, mcgoldrick has been playing well recently but with someone like john or rasiak when the ball lands in the box they are always there and they can get goals out of nothing. again 4-4-2 is essential at home. perry needs to replace lancashire

Davis 6

Cork 6

Pearce 6

Lancashire 5

Skacel 7

Gobern 2 Feel sorry for the lad but he was simply way out of his depth. Jan should have learnt that youngsters need several sub appearances before they start playing from the start

Surman 6

Schneiderlin 7

Euell 7

Lallana 8

McGoldrick 7

Subs:

Perry 7

BWP 7

Robertson 5

Also does anyone know why Mick McCarthy was on crutches?

I will not banter with you as we have nothing in common - I speak from an informed standpoint having seen the match and you speak from ignorance and care to take the negative stance.

Informed ? I suppose you are one of the Self-Appointed Ueber-Fans who think that posessing a season ticket entitles you to be in complete denial about the situation the club is in whilst you sneer at everyone else who dares to offer an opinion ?

Reply to me or dont - I couldnt give a shiny one. But considering your "informed" position, you are still writing bolllocks.

Considering how teams reduced to ten men often react defiantly to compensate for the loss of the player, especially if tinged with a sense of injustice, the second half performance sounds unremarkable to me. Though no doubt the supporters of the incumbent regime will try to turn it into something it isnt. Certainly the habitual 3- or 4-goal canings will resume against Reading.

The important question to be answered is : why did we start the game so utterly shiiite YET AGAIN that our players were demoralised, and someone like Euell so under pressure that he made a stupid mistake ?

We didn't start so utterly shiiite we started the better team, it wasn't until the first Wolves attack that they scored and by the time we got a goal back midway through the first half the players spirits were lifted. As for Euell he didn't make a mistake through pressure but went 50/50 with a wolves player. The fact that the wolves player feigned injury says a lot about the decision. Still you have to be there to witness these incidents.

Informed ? I suppose you are one of the Self-Appointed Ueber-Fans who think that posessing a season ticket entitles you to be in complete denial about the situation the club is in whilst you sneer at everyone else who dares to offer an opinion ?

Reply to me or dont - I couldnt give a shiny one. But considering your "informed" position, you are still writing bolllocks.

You offer an opinion on a game you did not see, 15saints gave you an opinion on a game he/she did see, that's the difference so his/her "informed" position is a lot more accurate than your bolllocks.

Apparently Michael Mancienne has been called up to the 23 man England squad to face Germany on Wednesday. I don't know about any of you, but I didn't think a great deal of his performance today.

Then again, what do I know?

I thought he played well, to be honest. Got booked but otherwise had a very good game.

I really enjoyed that game which is hard enough to do watching any Saints game but especially one we actually lost. Obviously theres a huge sense of frustration but I certainly can't complain about the effort or some of the quality of the play, specifically the performances of morgan and lallana.

We didn't start so utterly shiiite we started the better team, it wasn't until the first Wolves attack that they scored and by the time we got a goal back midway through the first half the players spirits were lifted. As for Euell he didn't make a mistake through pressure but went 50/50 with a wolves player. The fact that the wolves player feigned injury says a lot about the decision. Still you have to be there to witness these incidents.

Wow, no shiit ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never heard of a team scoring before their first attack, I must say...

alpine why are you such an argumentative condescending *****? Season after season you moan for the sake of moaning.you have had a go at anumber of fans who were at the game. also hemel who i know.and he is someone i respect. I am hurting with our performances but what makes me really angry is when people like you and stanley do nothing but whine on about the club all the friggin time . i will be at the game next week cheering the lads on. i want the lads to start winning not so much it will give me the feel good factor but more to do with the fact you will crawl back into your rat hole where you belong.

Never mind, you carry on shooting the messenger.....

Davis 7 - no chance with either goal but made some good stops 2nd half. Still doesn't communicate enough.

Cork 6 - Solid game I thought. Always tries to use the ball well.

Lancashire 3 - Blessing that he got injured because he would have got sent off again. consistently jumped under the high ball. not good enough.

Pearce 6 - Great goal and recovered well after dodgy start.

Skacel 6 - Not much going forward but did his job effectively.

Schneiderlin 7 - some great passing but needs a 'tackler' alongside him. Tired as game went on.

Surman 4 - Not a central midfeidler, too powder puff in the tackle and generally not assertive enough.

Euell 4 - Makes runs in to the right areas and with him in the side, the formation has a better chance of working. Sending off was not deserved. yellow at most.

Lallana 7 - Worked his balls off. Lovely skills but needs a bit more end product.

McGoldrick 6 - Some decent play in the air and on the ground but at 1-0 he was 1 on 1 twice and missed twice.

Gobern 2 - Ridiculaous selection. out of his depth.

Wright-Phillips 5 - Had a limited impact though very unluckty to hit the post. Not a winger.

Perry 6 - Defence looked miles better as soon as he stepped on the park.

Poortvliet 2 - Sort it out you clown. The selection of Gobern and the non-selection of Perry were absolutely astounding. If we'd lined up with Wotton in midfield and Surman on the left, with Perry in for Lancashire - that would have been a good line up. Gobern, like Thomson and White - isn't ready. Lancashire is a liability. He gets booked / sent off because he's not good enough so he's always diving in. If Perry is fit then he has to play and he's on the bench so he's fit. The unwritten rule seems to be that we can only pick 2 experienced players and today we had Euell and Skacel. Perry and Wooton in that team would have made it a lot tougher and more organized.

I know football is all about opinions, but I thought we were ****e and could have been 3 or 4 goals down! It wasnt until the 2nd half we started to play

Before wolves scored their first goal they barely got out of their half, granted when they scored they could of been 3 up but when we pulled one back we created a couple of other efforts without playing brilliantly. The fact that someone comes on here and claims we were sh1t without seeing the game is a bit over the top. Still if you prefer their opinions over someone who saw the game that is up to you. I will stick by my own viewed opinion.

Before wolves scored their first goal they barely got out of their half, granted when they scored they could of been 3 up but when we pulled one back we created a couple of other efforts without playing brilliantly. The fact that someone comes on here and claims we were sh1t without seeing the game is a bit over the top. Still if you prefer their opinions over someone who saw the game that is up to you. I will stick by my own viewed opinion.

So your opinion should be respected above ex-professionals on the radio who feed the information to those who do not / cannot attend?

That is completely ********!! The guy's 36 years old, the season is long and Jan's blooding the youngsters despite the disappointing results.

Sure he and the players want to win, but it's clear at this time that this isn't the end all of what he's doing. Any teachers will give his student a shot and then have someone more well versed take over when the going gets tough. Jan's pushing these youngsters to the limit in the same way Wenger's doing, like the French Academies do. When the money's not there this is the way to exist, survive. In France all clubs aim to produce one or two players per season on the production line to sell in order to cover the season's overheads.

Perry is a top pro, one of the best around, and he will be fighting fit and up for it and capable when we really need to gain the points. At the same time, you might find by then that the youngsters will have made the grade and Perry'll find it hard to get a look in. Don't forget the Svensson factor.

The experienced players still at the club are those who are committed, who know the situation and are prepared to work with the youngsters.

And I might say I'm exceptionally proud of each and every one of these fighting young guns and fully support what the club has set out to achieve.

I don't expect him to play every game, but he has been left out before when fully fit and ready to go whilst other alternatives have been preferred.

Todays game was actually mental torture. I feel really unhappy because of sitting through 90 minutes of the same old ****.

I don't think I will attend the next Saints home game. Would much rather watch paint dry.

Strange response. The game was quite entertaining today I thought and certainly not without incident.

wolves local paper, also states we started the brightest

Goals from Chris Iwelumo and David Jones put Mick McCarthy's men in the driving seat at St Mary's but a spirited response from the Saints, who pulled a goal back through Alex Pearce and had Jason Euell sent off, will have pleased Dutch boss Jan Poortvliet.

Euell was sent off for a studs-up challenge on Richard Stearman just before half-time, but a young Saints team kept Wolves under the cosh for long periods in the second half.

The home side started brightly and Wolves were fortunate when David McGoldrick was left unmarked in the box but could not finish.

However, the visitors were quickly into their stride and Iwelumo opened the scoring in the eighth minute.

On-loan winger Carlos Edwards swung in a cross and the unmarked Scotland striker, recalled to the national squad this week to face Argentina despite his awful miss against Norway, headed in.

But McGoldrick led an impressive response from the Saints and it took a good save from Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme in the 15th minute to deny the striker.

And Wanderers extended their lead two minutes later when Edwards broke forward before laying the ball off to fellow midfielder Jones, who hit the ball past Saints goalkeeper Kelvin Davis.

But the home side replied straight away with Ikeme tipping over Andrew Surman's effort and defender Pearce was left unmarked from Adam Lallana's ensuing corner to head in.

Ikeme needed to be alert to gather Surman's swerving shot before Jones' vicious volley was well saved by Davis as Wolves threatened to restore their two-goal lead.

Moments before the half-time whistle, referee Lee Mason showed a straight red card to Euell when he and Stearman jumped into a tackle, but the Wolves defender came off worse.

The visitors looked to make their extra-man advantage pay straight from the restart but it was Southampton striker Bradley Wright-Phillips, replacing Oscar Gobern at the interval, who hit a post as Poortvliet's young side bravely took the game to the leaders despite being down to 10 men.

Wolves centre-half Michael Mancienne, on loan from Chelsea and tipped to win an England call-up for the friendly against Germany, was booked for a foul on Morgan Schneiderlin as the home side continued to dominate.

Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy replaced an out-of-sorts Sylvan Ebanks-Blake with another striker, Andy Keogh, but it was the home side who nearly scored next with Wright-Phillips squaring the ball for McGoldrick who should have equalised.

The visitors were also guilty of wasting chances with the unmarked Jones heading wide from Edwards' cross.

A flurry of bookings saw Surman and Rudi Skacel booked for Southampton, and Wolves captain Karl Henry cautioned for arguing with the referee who decided not to book Schneiderlin after he tripped Edwards.

The official further upset the home fans by turning down an appeal for a penalty after McGoldrick tumbled in the area following a challenge by Stearman.

Wolves substitute Sam Vokes fired into the side-netting in the final moments but the visitors hung to stay six points clear of second-placed Birmingham following their fifth successive victory

Does every team score on their first attack at goal :rolleyes: You find it so easy to post about something you know fvck all about.

No, but that's not what you wrote. Taking into account your lack of self-awareness (or embarrassment, considering the follow-up abuse) here it is again :

"it wasn't until the first Wolves attack that they scored"

Possibly the most mongy comment to have been made on here in recent times....

Iwelumo stated that we were the best passing side he has come across in a very long time.

This appears to be a recurring theme,shame it dosen't gain us many points however.

Quite. The problem is that someone at SFC has forgotten (or never understood) that football is won at the two ends of the park.

I really like watching some of our passing stuff, and if it wasn't for the quality we have on the ball we would have no points at all BUT

you HAVE to defend properly to have any chance, and any spare money is always best spent on the best strikers available. (proof , look at the Leeds side that got the playoff final in the CCC). Rubbish side but two class strikers.

A great game, best I have seen this year by miles. We started so poorly and defended like chumps once again. Cork has not solved the right back position and we offer both full backs little cover. Great fightback though and we were by far and away the better side in the second half. If only we had taken one of those chances

Davis 6 - distribution choices terrible again.

Cork 6 - too easily done in the first half (lack of cover not helpful)

Lancashire 4 - too easily bullied again.

Pearce 7 decent display

Skacel 6 - worked harder than I have seen for a while in the second half. Still needs to do a lot more and to look like he wants to be here.

Schneiderlin 7 - still waiting for that first tackle. Bottled one badly in the second half. However why do we take him off to replace him with a tired McGoldrick?

Euell 5 - tackles and misplaced passes. Bit like what he offered when he played CM last season.

Surman 7 terrible start but got better as th egame went on. Worked his socks off.

Lallana 8 - did everything he could and played well.

McGoldrick 9 - only the goal was missing. Terrific display

Gobern 2 - ****e from start to finish. Don't come back till you are ready.

BWP - 8 switched on immediately and caused them problems.

Perry 9 - showed the sort of strength and bite that Lancashire fails to offer.

Robertson - 2 failed to win anything, get the ball under or take the chance offered to him.

Why on earth Jan took Scheiderlin off, replaced him with Robertson and then drop a knackered McGoldrick into midfield is beyond me. We were causing problems and shoud have stuck how we were. As soon as Morgan goes off we lose our shape, hoof it anywhere and look a poor side. Stop ****ing doing it Jan.

Edited by Chez

A great game, best I have seen this year by miles. We started so poorly and defended like chumps once again. Cork has not solved the right back position and we offer both full backs little cover. Great fightback though and we were by far and away the better side in the second half. If only we had taken one of those chances

Davis 6 - distribution choices terrible again.

Cork 6 - too easily done in the first half (lack of cover not helpful)

Lancashire 4 - too easily bullied again.

Pearce 7 decent display

Skacel 6 - worked harder than I have seen for a while in the second half. Still needs to do a lot more and to look like he wants to be here.

Schneiderlin 7 - still waiting for that first tackle. Bottled one badly in the secomnd half. Why do we take him off to replace him with a tired McGoldrick?

Euell 5 - tackles an dmiss placed passes. Bit like what he offered when he played CM last season.

Surman 7 terrible start but got better as th egame went on. Worked his socks off.

Lallana 8 - did everything he could and played well.

McGoldrick 9 - only the gola was missing. Terrific display

Gobern 2 - ****e from start to finish. Don't come back till you are ready.

BWP - 8 switched on immediately and caused them problems.

Perry 9 - showed the sort of strength and bite that Lancashire fails to offer.

Robertson - 2 failed to win anything, get the ball under or take the chance offered to him.

Why on earth Jan took Scheiderlin off, replaced him with Robertson and then drop and knackered McGoldrick into midfield is beyond me. We were causing problems and shoud have stuck how we were. As soon as Morgan goes off we lose our shape, hoof it anywhere and look a poor side. Stop ****ing doing it Jan.[/quote] Two very key points. Perry should have started and Morgan should not have been subbed.