Saints 2 Newcastle 0 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Thing is Kracken' date=' [b']its just as easy to assume that Nige was TRYING to fit him in[/b], that it worked well in training as he may well have had a big say in the signing - which at 6-7mil will have put pressure on him. There is no real evidence either way and its just what we chose to believe. To date the opinion that there was pressure from other parties to play a player out of position is just rumours. Yes there may be truth in them, but I dont believe expecting some sort of eveidence before we strat assuming the worst is too much to ask - especially as we have as a club progressed so rapidly. The concept that our poor start was due to inexperience, naivity, injuries and getting new players to gell, especially defensively is the 'positive' view for sure, but its seems equally logical to Nige being presuurised - especially when you look at the quality of the opposition we have faced recently and the attcking side of the performances we had against City and Man U.

Frank, if that's what you want to believe then you're welcome to it. You'll notice that my discussion with Dig Dig respected his right to think what he did, while he also accepted that I think differently. Nothing wrong with having an opinion (mine is clearly the correct one though, obviously........). I've heard things from a few sources which i feel backs up my opinion that pressure was being brought to bear, and I'm happy to stand by that opinion. If others wish to believe otherwise then they're of course welcome, I just disagree. I don't see the problem with that, really.

Frank, if that's what you want to believe then you're welcome to it. You'll notice that my discussion with Dig Dig respected his right to think what he did, while he also accepted that I think differently. Nothing wrong with having an opinion (mine is clearly the correct one though, obviously........). I've heard things from a few sources which i feel backs up my opinion that pressure was being brought to bear, and I'm happy to stand by that opinion. If others wish to believe otherwise then they're of course welcome, I just disagree. I don't see the problem with that, really.

Nor do I, but just pointing out that from what I have heard form my sources - and this includes those close to parents of a first teamer, many on here have it wrong. The point is there is ALWAYS going to be pressure to play a 7mil signing, even if one for the future - matter not where it comes from. I dont believe, pressure of this nature is always a bad thing either - its just that we seem stuck in teh time warp where the manger must be king and do everything himself - yet its not the situation in many countries where they have success - where the manager has to get on with the players provided and coach the best out of them. In fact when a club has invested 30 mil in new players, I would expect there to be pressure to play find the best way in training etc for them to fit into teh side and develop a system and style that works with the players you have available. That said, our injuries have not helped, nor did our start.

I just find it strange that in this modern era where managers at the top clubs do NOT have 100% say in signing decisions or contract clauses, we seem to think that MUST be the case here or its 'interfering' - (yes Fergie probably does, but I suspect he is now the last of the breed). One persons 'interfering' is anothers 'colaboration' with multiple coaches who observe players in training coming together to provide input.

Yes lets all laugh... sorry Hypo, you have been hangin out with bad uns too long and are begiining to think its all really funny to just take the **** out of folk ... Derry freely admits he was level, and in REAL TIME as with the lino he was happy with the decision... as he would have made the same, as would most - benefit of replays and different angles may show it to be wrong un... **** thats been part of football for donkeys so who cares...., yet if it pleases you to take the ****, merely suggests some bad habbits have rubbed of from your new 'mates'.

You used to have more respect for folk than that, what happened? Worried about ending up on the wrong side of Turkish and his stalking?

Talking about me again Francis, you're another one who is becoming obsessed.

Hyp, I know Derry. I hav sat with him at games in the past - and I dont always agree with his perspective on a game or what we should do, and we have enjoyed a good debate about it in the Itchen. He is a smart and Does have teh xperience you mention, and like all in football, opinion will always be divided on what is the solution...which is no bad thing. But when someone who was at teh game, has years of experience in the game makes an observation that the officials agreed with in real time, I am not sure that invalidates that experience when viewed in replays or from different angles.

Officials make mistakes - as they have only one chance and no benefit of slo mo replays - all Derry was saying was that from where he was sitting, i real time, he had no complaints about the decision. When viewed later on the TV he may well change his mind - but either way, just because you dont agree with everything he says, not sure for the need for the crappy attacks... as I said, you never used to.

Erm that isn't all he was saying was it. He was absolutely adamant that he was 100 percent offside. That was soon changed when it was clear that he was utterly wrong.

Nor do I, but just pointing out that from what I have heard form my sources - and this includes those close to parents of a first teamer, many on here have it wrong. The point is there is ALWAYS going to be pressure to play a 7mil signing, even if one for the future - matter not where it comes from. I dont believe, pressure of this nature is always a bad thing either - its just that we seem stuck in teh time warp where the manger must be king and do everything himself - yet its not the situation in many countries where they have success - where the manager has to get on with the players provided and coach the best out of them. In fact when a club has invested 30 mil in new players, I would expect there to be pressure to play find the best way in training etc for them to fit into teh side and develop a system and style that works with the players you have available. That said, our injuries have not helped, nor did our start.

I just find it strange that in this modern era where managers at the top clubs do NOT have 100% say in signing decisions or contract clauses, we seem to think that MUST be the case here or its 'interfering' - (yes Fergie probably does, but I suspect he is now the last of the breed). One persons 'interfering' is anothers 'colaboration' with multiple coaches who observe players in training coming together to provide input.

Do people think that? The idea of a transfer committee is, I thought a well respected and good one. Certainly is in my opinion. I have a friend who works as head of player recruitment for a Championship side and have seen first hand on numerous occasions how this works within a club, and how it is far removed from the manage r running 100% of the club. And how it is a far better system.

That said, the manager should IMO still have the final say when it comes to playing matters. i can accept that chairmen may make their own signings; Lowe did this with Delgado, Niemi, Crouch etc, Cortese I'm sure has done it with Papa Waigo, Guly and Ramirez. But in selection matters, the manager should of course be open to advice and counsel from his committee but should retain overall control. Sorry, but I don't believe that happened, I truly believe Nigel was influenced against his true will in a minority of decisions. he also made mistakes himself, so you'll notice I'm not absolving him of all blame. Indeed I've always conceded that the "blame" for our disastrous start should have been equally atributed to Cortese, Reed, Adkins and the players, with a nod to injuries too.

Edited by The Kraken

Cracking game, and if you want to feel even better then check out the NUFC forum match thread. Classic!

Flew back from Ceylon yesterday and was iffy about going today but sure glad I did. Great team performance, they all had good games but Punch, Lallana, Gaston, Cork and Morgan bossed it for me! Fonte was also superb at the back and was totally on his game. Also what looked like a fantastic save from Gazza with some good antics and goalie celebration to remember for the 2nd goal! Think he has a quality sense of humour and confidence for such a young and inexperienced keeper!

Also, I may be proved wrong on MOTD, but I think that has to be the worst referee and linesmen double act I will ever see. Sadly it won't get shown fully on MOTD but he missed so many blinders, throwings, corners... was ridiculous. I'm not even mentioning the penalty or offside goal. Atkinson should be struck off. Horrendus!! Its a bigger positive for me today that we won against 12men than the fact that is 3 games unbeaten or that we got a clean sheet etc. He was that bad.................!!!

So Referees - this is for you...

,,|,,

Either way' date=' its it really such a big deal?[/quote']

Fair enough then. He was onside, replays confirmed that to be the case, many thought he was onside at the time and derry was wrong to think that he was off. The linesman got it wrong and should be criticised accordingly rather than saw we are happy with the decision just because it was a tight call.

Do people think that? The idea of a transfer committee is, I thought a well respected and good one. Certainly is in my opinion. I have a friend who works as head of player recruitment for a Championship side and have seen first hand on numerous occasions how this works within a club, and how it is far removed from the manage r running 100% of the club. And how it is a far better system.

That said, the manager should IMO still have the final say when it comes to playing matters. i can accept that chairmen may make their own signings; Lowe did this with Delgado, Niemi, Crouch etc, Cortese I'm sure has done it with Papa Waigo, Guly and Ramirez. But in selection matters, the manager should of course be open to advice and counsel from his committee but should retain overall control. Sorry, but I don't believe that happened, I truly believe Nigel was influenced against his true will in a minority of decisions. he also made mistakes himself, so you'll notice I'm not absolving him of all blame. Indeed I've always conceded that the "blame" for our disastrous start should have been equally atributed to Cortese, Reed, Adkins and the players, with a nod to injuries too.

Fair enough K, but there are some on here who have used the 'committee' as a stick with which to beat the club with... all comes back to the classic paradox. When we win every week, no one would give a flying feck if the tea lady had a say in Nige's selections - yet would give her no credit.... the moment we struggle and its a whole different ball game.

FFS children, haven't we got anything better to do than ***** from behind our keyboards. This has been dubbed by some a mongboard which is exactly what it is proving to be this evening. Did I miss something? I thought we won today. Most of the posts are a source of real amusement though, on an evening when there's only the X Factor and IACGMOOH on the box at least there's somewhere to go for entertainment. Just play nicely!

Fair enough then. He was onside, replays confirmed that to be the case, many thought he was onside at the time and derry was wrong to think that he was off. The linesman got it wrong and should be criticised accordingly rather than saw we are happy with the decision just because it was a tight call.

Come on Hypo, you know it all depends where you sit and what angle you get - Derry sits on row A or B so is level with pitch and called it as the lino saw it. The point is having read it all, its just saying that in real time he could see why the lino called it as he did. Even if he was later proven wrong, is it such a big deal?.... pro linos get this wrong every week - because they make a split second decision in real time. Dery was saying the same thing, that in real time the decision looked the right one... no biggy surely?

Come on Hypo' date=' you know it all depends where you sit and what angle you get - Derry sits on row A or B so is level with pitch and called it as the lino saw it. The point is having read it all, its just saying that in real time he could see why the lino called it as he did. Even if he was later proven wrong, is it such a big deal?.... pro linos get this wrong every week - because they make a split second decision in real time. Dery was saying the same thing, that in real time the decision looked the right one... no biggy surely?[/quote']

Actually Frank, derry was being daft by refusing to accept that it was indeed offside. Despite the video evidence to the contrary.

I can't see how the camera which wasn't level could be used to adjudicate. The camera was on the halfway line, only a camera level with Rodriguez could be correct. He was offside, which was the reason the linesman gave it.

Anyway, it matters little. It was onside, as replays have proven and should have been given but wasn't.

What the hell is this thread getting clogged with all the infighting rubbish, you bunch of prissy ****s? just ****ing discuss the game.

Which was the best I've seen us for some time. Looked far more dynamic and dangerous, less predictable, more options, movement, quality.. Really made up.

Actually Frank, derry was being daft by refusing to accept that it was indeed offside. Despite the video evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, it matters little. It was onside, as replays have proven and should have been given but wasn't.

Thanks Kraken that was of course my very obvious point.

great game, worth getting fecking soaked before,durring & after!

thought the officials were awful today,especially the 2 lino's. i was inline with Rodriguez & i was 100% sure he was onside

nearly lost my voice yelling at the useless lino countless times durring the match.

great to see the backline keep a clean sheet at last,lets hope we can replecate this on wednesday

UTS !

Hope we are on first tonight. Bet we aren't.

From what I can see there is no first match, it's match choice straight up.

Oh and by the way, get a room the lot of you.

And finally... Conspiracy theorists, you're all wrong. Everyone else, you're all wrong. While I'd love to congratulate Nigel and the boys on today's performance, the real reason that we won is that I turned the bog roll the 'wrong' way around again just before the first goal just to see if it would work again, and it did. No need to thank me, it's all in a days work.

Killswitch

Forum member

Re: Southampton Vs Newcastle United Matchday Thread

« Reply #333 on: Today at 04:41:49 PM »

Who's the most popular member of the squad , Pardew must have f***ed his lass to have such little team spirit :?

hahahah made me laugh this post on their match thread

If you need a video replay to make a decision then by definition it's a close call and you can't really say the lino was wrong to give it. Offside is never an exact science.

Great game for us! Highlighted everything wrong with Pardew (and probably why we sacked him) as copying QPR's kick and rush is a brilliant tactic...

Linesmen and Ref seemed to want to help a sorry Newcastle out so much though, it felt like 11 vs 14... Both pens were missed, their left back falling over near punch going against us, numerous throw ins and that off side were just sickening. Nearly as bad as the Brighton game last year.

On the plus we completely outplayed them, not one silly game changing mistake, not one oh Ba/Cisse are good so let them have a goal and no stupid wasting possession. Delighted for Adkins showing why we have to stick by him!

If you need a video replay to make a decision then by definition it's a close call and you can't really say the lino was wrong to give it. Offside is never an exact science.

Actually, it often is. There's pretty specific rules to define it; most of the time it isn't down to interpretation.

Agree with Robsk that it's not interesting to read about the petty infighting and pointscoring between certain posters .

But, to the game... again building on last week thought that the whole team played well. Fonte was excellent today, particularly in the first ten minutes of the second half when Newcastle actually were the better side and we for some reason seemed to have momentarily lost our shape. In that period he won everything that came at him with a number of important interceptions on the ground and in the air. Some fantastic short passing and interplay and again we appeared to cut through Newcastle at will and created numerous chances.

This game reminded me of some of the games in our promotion seasons in both League 1 and the Championship when we were just too good for the opposition. It had that sort of vibe about it.

I thought that Rickie looked affected by his injury and was not influencing the game after that in the second half and that J Rod could have come on a bit earlier to to give them something to think about with his increased mobility, but that is not a complaint.

Very happy with the result and the shape of the team. As others have said, Shaw and Cork have made a massive difference and great to see Gazza make that wonderful save from Santon. that, for me, cancels out his naivete against Swansea. I like Gazza's cockiness- I predicted to my son that he was going to do his mock shoelace trick just as he did it. The sort of thing what would infuriate me from an opposition keeper but he does it well - gloves off, bending down to deal with a non- existent lace problem to eat up time. Bring on Norwich, which will be a harder game but clearly is another potential three points.

Actually, it often is. There's pretty specific rules to define it; most of the time it isn't down to interpretation.

Whether a player is interferring with play can, at times, be very subjective. Not sure it's quite as black and white as you're suggesting.

Enjoyed the game today, a good atmosphere and a confident mood about the place. Be nice to follow it up Wednesday.

Anyone who was lucky enough to be there today could only agree that we played some good football during this match, indeed for long periods we were close to being superb actually. Keep this under your hat my friends, but somehow we even managed to defend our goal adequately - which is a real turn up for the books I'm sure many of you will agree.

It's kinda unfair to pick out individuals because every single one of them did their jobs very well. What I will say however is that a midfield of Cork, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Puncheon and Ramirez - always a tasty prospect on paper - is starting to deliver on that great promise. Methinks there may be even more to come from them as well. As I've voiced a few criticisms of the manager this season it's only fair that I go on the record and praise him when he gets it right - so well done Nigel.

Now lets be clear, I don't think we are out of trouble, I don't even think we're nearly out of trouble. But we can perhaps allow ourselves the hope that we can climb away from the relegation zone over the next few months.

As ever, only time will tell.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Whether a player is interferring with play can, at times, be very subjective. Not sure it's quite as black and white as you're suggesting.

Enjoyed the game today, a good atmosphere and a confident mood about the place. Be nice to follow it up Wednesday.

That's why I said often. Not always.

We're starting to see the benefits of a stable line-up and tactical approach - all over the pitch. The chemistry is really developing well now - at the back, in the middle and up front, which is crucial for our playing style. I love seeing Puncheon and Clyne going down the right with pace, and Shaw is gaining in confidence with every game, which will give us the same dimension going down the left. I really enjoyed watching Ramirez ghosting around today, knitting things together with lovely touches. Rickie does so many things well - his deft, little lay-offs are a joy to watch; I worried that he was losing his scoring touch by becoming too much of a build-up player, but he's crucial to how we play.

Offensively, our ability to keep playing in tight spaces is Top-8 standard or even better, while the central defensive quartet when we don't have the ball (Schneiderlin, Cork, Fonte and Yoshida) is actually starting to look very solid.

This is the best summary I've read!

Wow! At times Saints were on the rampage. Well done fellers! I can't pick a man of the match, not even Adam nor Ramires. This was total team work.

I was criticised on here last week for saying that Saints at QPR were too timid to the tackle and backtracked too much. But today they let nothing pass by unchallenged. Saints wanted the ball all the time, held firm against Newcastle's raids and counterattacked with devastating skill and speed. And crowd support was deafening. We thoroughly deserved the win! Roll on Norwich!

There are too many variables, part of the body, angle of view across the pitch, timing of the pass. Don't be fooled by the white lines they put on the freeze-frame, they too are open to interpretation. If the linesman is the same side as the players then it's even more difficult for them. The only safe thing is to make sure you're a yard onside and play the pass at the right time.

Really believing we belong in the Prem now. First clean sheet a great step on the ladder. Felt sorry for Pardew though, because not only did his team lose a 3rd consecutive match but by the end he was absolutely saturated due to standing in the technical area wearing a suit, shirt and tie. Very smart but I thought Adkins could have leant him an aap waterproof coat!