The "I was there" Thread

View From The Top

I was at the City Ground in 1977 for Forest 3-3 Saints FA Cup tie when there were so many Saints supporters packed behind the goal at the away end I didn’t see a single goal! A few days later I was at the Dell for Saints 2-1 Nottingham Forest in the replay; probably the best atmosphere I ever experienced at the Dell.

Ditto the above! Just wonderful, fantastic atmosphere!

At Villa for the heart break of Law's goal in the Semi.

There to see Cliff Huxfords heroics at the Dell in the draw with Forest.

Too many more to list

Edited by Norm

I was there at the end of the 73-74 season where we played Manchester United under Tommy Docherty. A 1-1 draw wasn't enough to help either side avoid relegation and we both went down together.

Other notable matches were the 3-1 and 6-3 beatings of Man Utd and the game where we were losing 0-1 to Newcastle and came back to win 3-1 in the last few minutes - plus too many matches where we could have been relegated on the last day of the season. Oh, and of course the last league match at the Dell, beating Arsenal and MLT scoring the winner.

In with the away fans by mistake when we beat Man Utd 4:1 in the Littlewoods Cup and Big Ron lost his job the following day.

When Alan Shearer scored his hat trick to be the youngest player to score a hat trick in the First Division.

When we lost 6:1 to Everton at Goodison Park and the fans were singing "You only sing when your five up" and they promptly scored again. Got a chuckle from Barry Favies on MOTD highlights.

I've been lucky enough to see a few of the ones mentioned so far but for me August 1969 beating United 4-1 at Old Trafford is right there...they had all the legends out, had won the European cup and we psst on them. I got punched outside too for being a p*ss-taking, gobby teenager too far away from our own supporters but nothing will ever detract from how good that day felt...still rub it in to my plastic mates along with wee Bobby's moment!

More recently being able to share a cup final win with my son at Wembley, fantastic day....Coventry last year felt like my feet weren't touching the pitch as I ran on like a kid, the noise at Camara's goal was the time when my ears physically hurt with the noise...the voice was knackered for weeks after.

The 3-0 against the skates was pretty special too :-) So many good times to counter the down 'moments'!

I was there when :-

We beat Wolves 9-3

We won 6-2 at Stamford Bridge

We won the FA Cup

Kevin Keagan made his debut for us

Peter Shilton scored against us at the Dell

We lost 0-8 at Everton

Bruce Grobbelaar let in the 'dodgy' goal at Coventry but Ekelund, making his debut, won the game for us.

Marseilles Away

Enough said

Oh and dodging the bricks from the collapsing wall at Orient in 77

And one that not many will know about

Reading vs Palace in gawd knows when....

The Saints took the Reading end and everyone went WTF? (We were away to Orient midweek & it got called off due to waterlogged pitch while most coaches were at Fleet Services, so we all went to Reading instead)

Expand..

So many notable games

Wolves at home 9-3 so my father says although can't remember a thing about it !

Every game in FA Cup run 76 apart fom Villa replay

Cup winners away games at Marseilles and Anderlecht

Forest away in FACup 77 3-3 with 12,000 Saints fans in a crowd of 36,000 for meeting of two Div 2 teams

Man Utd FA Cup 2 - 2 (won on Penalties)

6 - 0 away wins at Carlisle 77, Wolves 2007 and Oldham 2011

Hamburg and Bucherest away in UEFA CUP

Beating Man U several times including 3-1 (grey Shirts game) and 6-3 following season

Beating Liverpool 4-1 (in game where Doddy made home debut and Rod Wallace 2, Rideout and Matty scored)

and Finally beating Pompey with Steve Moran last minute goal in FA Cup in 84

Effectively winning promotion at Orient 78 and Plymouth 2011 and confirming promotion Spurs, Walsall and Coventry

There are many more I could include but this would be my top games / trips

Most of mine have been mentioned, but here goes anyway -

At The Dell for 1st ever Top Flight game, v Man City. Was my 1st ever game - makes me the original glory hunter!!

At Stamford Bridge for the 6-2 win when Big Ron got 4, Civers got 2 and even Ossie weighed in with 2 for Chelsea. My 1st ever away game - down hill ever since!!

At The Dell v Rosenberg - Saints 1st home in in Europe. Sadly never made it to an away game yet, one of my greatest SFC regrets.

At Wembley 76 - one of only about 25000 Saints fans who have seen us win The FA Cup!!

About 15 feet up one of those trees outside what is now The Soul Cellar hanging on for dear life as Saints showed off The Fa Cup from the balcony of The Guildhall. The tree wasn't very big back then!! Always have a little smile when I walk past it on visits home.

Mick Channon's Testimonial - never seen The Dell so full of scarves, flags and banners, awesome.

1st Prem League game at St Mary's v Chelsea. Living away from home it was my first time of seeing it in the flesh - goosebumps, despite the score.

That's enough for now.

1 Jan 2002 Saints beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge and my Chelsea supporting brother replying to my 'may the best team win' with 'We will' just prior to the match.

5-4 win against Norwich. Unbelieveable atmosphere when Henri scored, the floor bouncing and the closest I've evr come to a heart attack!

0-6 at Wolves with a make shift defence

0-6 at Oldham

The JPT final with my Dad and son. Thank you Markus.

3-1 win at Oldham when David Connolly scored the third. Knew he was going to score. His dip of the shoulder just prior to shooting deceived the keeper and most of the crowd too!

Derby away in the play-offs when we lost. So proud of team and our fans. Still makes me laugh about the lads who were so soaked they drove home in their undies.

FA Cup against Bolton, Barry Horne equalising in injury time, I ended up on the pitch, then scoring the winner. To this day still my favourite moment.

Crossley saving Le Tiss penalty, my brother and I looked at each other before he took it and both said he's going to miss this!

ZDS Cup final at Wembley and JPT Final.

Le Tiss hatrick against Liverpool in the snow.

Spurs 1 saints 3 fa cup 3rd round early nineties. Anyone drinking in the Nags head in covent garden will remember it well. Our fishy friends were at palace same day and brought us some tear gas.

Lovin this thread, so many memories.

Don't let 19c know we could have another Soul Cellar on our hands ( it was no coincidence that I name checked the place in my post earlier!!) ;)

But not Carlisle?

Different views on how recent "recent" means possibly!!

I rememmber being down town shopping and seeing the score on a TV in Plummers and mentally read it as 0-0 and thought better than expected.

Classic double take, jaw hitting the floor moment and then a cheer as several other conveniently placed shoppers finally registered it as 6 as well.

This is how we rolled bitd before mobile phones and computers FFS.

To add a few more:

Shearer's hat-trick on his debut against the Arse.

Beating Coventry 8-2 in '84 ( A young Stuart Pearce at left-back for them).

The '84 semi-final at Highbury (not a good day).

Hearing Mark Wright's leg break at White Hart Lane in the '86 semi against Liverpool.

Dellhurst - seeing Clapham Junction packed with Saints fans and coming out of South Norwood station to a sea of red and white.

I was there when the aubergine was cast upon the turf at Bristol Rovers, signalling the end of Pardew's reign.

I was there when Kelvin Davis pulled a groin muscle at Hartlepool from constantly trying to kick into a gale force wind.

Was there for both of those. Still no idea what that aubergine was all about.

And a few other recent ones -

6-0 at Oldham.

Schneiderlin's first (and for a while only) goal for the club, and what a hit!

JPT, my first trip to the new Wembley.

Consecutive promotions.

First ever game at SMS and I was in a photo in the Echo the next day.

Jaidi's 95th minute equaliser at Carlisle.

Brighton away, all their banners (Keeping Up, Adkins diet Egg on face, Pompey 4-1 Scummers etc) and smugness as they were 1-0 up heading into the last few minutes, then two late goals and a 2-1 win, gained numerous cuts as I fell down the steps and ended up on my arse on the running track. Good day.

Some great memories from before my time on this thread!

Yes, remember a lot of those mentioned. Good memories mainly. Of the more bizarre, I was there when...

Jimmy Gabriel got sent off on a stretcher at Elland road in a 1-0 defeat 1970

We lost to Newcastle at St James Park (on agggregate score) in the second leg of the Texaco Cup Final 74/5. My first ever cup final.

Yes, remember a lot of those mentioned. Good memories mainly. Of the more bizarre, I was there when...

Jimmy Gabriel got sent off on a stretcher at Elland road in a 1-0 defeat 1970

We lost to Newcastle at St James Park (on agggregate score) in the second leg of the Texaco Cup Final 74/5. My first ever cup final.

My 1st ever Cup Final was the reserve team winning the Combination Cup v WHU in the late 60's/early 70's.

Used to go to quite a few reserve games if we couldn't go to see the 1st XI away. Score updates from them every 15 mins lol and only a few hundred in The Dell.

Loads of plastic glory hunters out for the final though :D

I was NOT there physically for the FA Cup Final in 1976, but there was one radio station in the Toronto area that used to broadcast the Cup Finals every year. So I listened to the game via radio and recorded the commentary on my reel-to-reel tape recorder. That 7" tape reel is in a box somewhere down in the basement.

I was there when saints lost 2-0 to Notts county in the cup midweek in 2006 I think..- God what an awful game that was....My son was 3 months old, my wife said - go watch saints have a night out....Awful game....

Anyway other notables Forest in the League cup final '79, Matty making his england debut for El Tel at Wembley v Denmark in a friendly, and of course the last league game at the Dell....

Oh and watching that game v's Burnley that signalled relegation to League 1...That penalty miss.......

Wembley 1st May 1976

MLT Newcastle, Forest, Wimbledon free kick, last goal at the Dell

Dellhurst, simply fanastic

West Ham 3-3 to stay in the prem, wonderful MLT freekick and pen and Neil Maddison scored

Orient 1-1 when we got promotion in 1978, the wall fall down at the end, 10,000 Saints fans, marvellous

Steve Moran vrs Skates in the Cup in 1984

League Cup Final

ZDS

Paint Brush Trophy

Thrashing Liverpool x 2

Thrashing ManUre x 2

Danny Wallace 1-0 at Highbury, stood in the Arsenal end

Ricky Lambert's goal at Palace

Many, many, more

So many moments, that's why I'm a Saints fan!!

It's 1960 and 3rd Division Saints are 2-1 up away at half time to 1st Division Man City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I'm sitting watching Grandstand with great anticipation for the teleprinter to give out the final score..Man City 1 Southampton 5 ...Unbelievable.

It's 1960 and 3rd Division Saints are 2-1 up away at half time to 1st Division Man City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I'm sitting watching Grandstand with great anticipation for the teleprinter to give out the final score..Man City 1 Southampton 5 ...Unbelievable.

Derek Reeves 4 goals, headline in the Pink "I'm tickled pink" I was about 5 and a half, still remember it though,knew the score, couldn't wait until my dad went and got the The Pink from White's corner shop. Not that I was an ace reader at 5 but I liked the pictures.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I thought this was the "I was there" thread.

I saw the moon landing on TV. :D

Many of the above including Micky Channon's testimonial (only mentioned once even though there were probably 35,000 in the Dell that night).

Despite seeing promotions and cup wins I still think Matty's last goal was the most sublime and special moment. So predictable that he would do it but still so very, very special.

Derek Reeves 4 goals, headline in the Pink "I'm tickled pink" I was about 5 and a half, still remember it though,knew the score, couldn't wait until my dad went and got the The Pink from White's corner shop. Not that I was an ace reader at 5 but I liked the pictures.

Where was that located?

'I was there' at loads of the above - great memories.

But was anyone else at the Dell on the day Saints got relegated in 1974? We were winning 3-0 AWAY at Everton at the time but I was watching the reserves and listening to updates over the tannoy. Absolutely gutted when it was announced we were down. Couldn't get to Goodison on a teenagers money so did the next best thing!

I was there for what I think was Alan Ball's first game as manager at Newcastle when we won 2 -1. Matty scored a the winner with a free kick. Due to work on the stadium there were no away fans allowed. Did anyone else get in?

I was there to along with 7 other London Saints who managed via contacys in Newcastel to get tickets for the game

Was really difficult to keep quiet when Matty got winner, and one hell of a triip on th train back, i think about 20 Saints fans managed to get in one way or another