The "I was there" Thread

View From The Top

Many of us will have been at moments in Saints history that then they are mentioned or shown say "I was there". I was wondering what are yours?

Mine is being in a bleak, dark Blackburn along with Corky Morris & DJ when MLT smashed in a 40 yarder that, when seen from behind in the away end, swerved the whole width of the goal. We looked at each other in shock before going mental.

When Franny scored! My mate pointed out he was unmarked as the free-kick was being lined up.

When Franny assaulted John Fashanu.

MLT's goals against Nwcastle.

MLT's 30 second goal and hat-trick against L'pool in the snow.

Pahars against Everton.

6-3

Pretty sure Iain Dowie scored a good goal once and I was there.

David Lee beating a defender.

Neil Heaney beating a defender.

Ali Dia

Mickey Evans heading the post whilst scoring.

Doddsy taking a red card for the team v West Ham

MLT free-kick v Wimbledon

Barry Horne v Bolton in the League Cup (?)

Sorry.... Got a bit carried away!

FA Cup - I was there. ****ing quality. Beating Man United on pens in the same cup run - that was a ****ing good night.

Ekelund and MLT at Coventry away - a brief glimpse of how the future could've been.

Too many to mention but of recent times - Leeds away last season will live long in the memory.

Can't remember the year, but when we beat Pompey 3-0 at home, Marian scored a great goal after a massive drought and it meant we were 4th over Christmas. Really thought we'd kick on after that season and become a solid mid-table prem side. Could never had guessed what was to follow.

But for the best for me will always be Wimbledon away when we won 2 nil to basically stay up. Must of had 15k there, all over the ground. Had just started going away regularly with my dad. Ahh, better days.

I was celebrating on the coach home from Saints victory over Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semi-final when a pessimistic Saints supporter* momentarily p!ssed on our parade by saying how embarrassing it would be if Man United hammered us in the final; I was there a few weeks later when they didn’t.

* He wasn’t anyone on here, was he?

Can't remember the year, but when we beat Pompey 3-0 at home, Marian scored a great goal after a massive drought and it meant we were 4th over Christmas. Really thought we'd kick on after that season and become a solid mid-table prem side. Could never had guessed what was to follow.

But for the best for me will always be Wimbledon away when we won 2 nil to basically stay up. Must of had 15k there, all over the ground. Had just started going away regularly with my dad. Ahh, better days.

Ah yes December 2003 in a champions league spot! If I remember correctly though we were actually closer on points to the relegation zone than we were to 3rd place! Then we lost on Boxing Day and ended up finishing season 12th, 1 place above Pompey with their fans saying they would finish above us the next season.

Recently, the 0-6 win at Oldham, 0-1 at Leeds last season and all the promotion games. Further back, MLT last goal at the dell, FA Cup Final 2003, we might have lost but a proud day for me to see something I never thought I would. 6-3 and 3-1 wins against Man Utd, Derby play off game, al the final day relegation scraps.

I love this club.

I was at the City Ground in 1977 for Forest 3-3 Saints FA Cup tie when there were so many Saints supporters packed behind the goal at the away end I didn’t see a single goal! A few days later I was at the Dell for Saints 2-1 Nottingham Forest in the replay; probably the best atmosphere I ever experienced at the Dell.

I was there when the aubergine was cast upon the turf at Bristol Rovers, signalling the end of Pardew's reign.

I was there when Kelvin Davis pulled a groin muscle at Hartlepool from constantly trying to kick into a gale force wind.

I was at that one, and also there a few years before when a certain Rickie Lambert knocked us out of the cup !

Was there at Wembley at 4:33 on May 1st !976. I was also there at the CWC Quarter Final v Anderlecht having hitched from Worcester in the afternoon. I was at Highbury to watch that ***** Heath put us out of the cup semi, and at the Dell a

few days later when we stuffed them! Was also at the Dell when we stuffed Blackburn 5-1 when we next met them after Ossie's swansong. Bailey, dogs abuse throughout. Happy days. Been so many times since but those stand out.

I was there for Tommy Forecast's debut in a Saints XI side away at Weymouth in pre-season. Seem to remember we went 2-0 down after the first 10 mins but went in to win 3-2. Was also one of Poortvleit's first games too. If I remember correctly, there were 8 other Saints fans in the away end, but also a few others clearly dotted in with the home.

Random one:

I was there watching Peter Crouch play for Saints reserves against Leicester reserves at Kettering Town's old Rockingham road ground in December 2004. He was not yet fully established in our first team and at the point not especially popular.

6 months later he was signing for the European Champions after becoming a fan favourite.

I went to Walsall (a), Hartlepool (a), Tranmere (a) and Rochdale (a) in our promotion season. 3 of them on Tuesday nights and a total of 1 point between them with that being a 0-0 at Hartlepool!!

That was a dismal game, it could have gone on for another 3 hours and we would never have scored, just seemed to be fated that day.

Rosler scoring the winner at the last ever game at the Dell...

And Rosler scoring Saints first goal at St Mary's against Espanyol! They did score first tho!

Dellhurst, MLT v arsenal at the dell with CMFG almost stealing his thunder with a 20+ yard strike which clipped the bar, Everton at home same season as dellhurst.

One non directly saints memory was sending Wimbledon down at the dell!

30th April 2005 Saints v Norwich.

Henri Camara scoring in the last minute making it 4 -3 and re-igniting our relegation fight, which ultimately proved unsuccessful but simply the most exciting match I have seen in 37 years following Saints and, and it's a big and, my son Declan was the 7yr old Saints mascot and the whole family turned out for the event.

Simoly unforgettable for some many reasons.

3 April 1963 - Saints v Nottingham Forest - FA Cup Quarter-Final replay. 3-0 down deep into the second half, with many of our fans leaving The Dell, when we staged the most remarkable recovery to claim a 3-3 draw and a 2nd replay at a neutral White Hart Lane the following monday.

8 April 1963 - Saints v Nottingham - FA Cup Quarter-Final 2nd replay. In front of 42,000 fans, with 30,000 from Southampton, we romped to a 5-0 victory under the floodlights at White Hart Lane.

Saints team for both games - Reynolds, Williams, Traynor, Wimshurst, Knapp, Huxford, Paine, O'brien, Kirby, Burnside & Sydenham. Happy days!

30th April 2005 Saints v Norwich.

Henri Camara scoring in the last minute making it 4 -3 and re-igniting our relegation fight, which ultimately proved unsuccessful but simply the most exciting match I have seen in 37 years following Saints and, and it's a big and, my son Declan was the 7yr old Saints mascot and the whole family turned out for the event.

Simoly unforgettable for some many reasons.

This - the noise from the entire crowd was epic

When Franny scored! My mate pointed out he was unmarked as the free-kick was being lined up.

When Franny assaulted John Fashanu.

MLT's goals against Nwcastle.

MLT's 30 second goal and hat-trick against L'pool in the snow.

Pahars against Everton.

6-3

Pretty sure Iain Dowie scored a good goal once and I was there.

David Lee beating a defender.

Neil Heaney beating a defender.

Ali Dia

Mickey Evans heading the post whilst scoring.

Doddsy taking a red card for the team v West Ham

MLT free-kick v Wimbledon

Sorry.... Got a bit carried away!

These two!! I was only a nipper!!

Marseilles Away

Enough said

Oh and dodging the bricks from the collapsing wall at Orient in 77

And one that not many will know about

Reading vs Palace in gawd knows when....

The Saints took the Reading end and everyone went WTF? (We were away to Orient midweek & it got called off due to waterlogged pitch while most coaches were at Fleet Services, so we all went to Reading instead)

Edited by dubai_phil

some great memories and i was lucky enough to see them all, but one that always stays with me was Chivers down the wing in the 88 minute against Charlton, cross Paine slides it home. we win 1 nil stayed on track for first ever promotion to top flight and the noise was biggest i ever heard at Dell

those goals against newcastle..that day there was a red card protest against branfoot...still had my branfoot out t-shirt until a few years ago

when villa fans stormed the pitch at the dell

franny scoring

beating man u 3-1 and then 6-3

MLT scoring a hattrick against liverpool..one of the goals was within 30 seconds

that free kick against wimbledon

first win at SMS

beating pompey 3-0 to go 4th in the prem

Argyle away last year

coventry at home this year

one thing I never predicted...would have been the roller coaster 10 years when we moved into SMS..when I was at the charlton game and we won (pahars bullet header)...i really thought we were set....WGS turned out to be a great manager and we just got better and better....he did...but we screwed it up LOL

Couple that I enjoyed that stand out for me;

Saints winning 3-1 up at Middlesbrough when Gray was in charge (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/sep/30/match.sport4), only about 400 Saints up there but what a great match and I remember even Ripley was good that day!!!!

Saints losing away at Feyenoord pre-season. Rubbish football, but excellent week away!