Fulham build up

Thedelldays

If we do go down, we can blame not beating any of Wigan, Fulham, Swansea, Norwich and Sunderland at home. We still have Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton to come!

Away form, unfortunately, must improve.

Got a ticket for this one, thinking a day out at the footy on boxing day will make a nice change from the usual in laws 'party'. Imagine my disappointment as I discover not only that a/There's a tube strike on but b/The overland trains don't run on boxing day anyway. Anyone want to buy a ticket?
YES please PM me

unsurprising, Lambert must have put 10 sitters (OK 3 or 4) either over the top or wide. Probably why he got dropped for the next game. Watching Chelsea at their best yesterday made me realise just what difference clinical finishing makes.

you do talk some rubbish. You really believe lambert not being clinical enough is why we are where we are? Nothing to do with the goals conceded? Have a blooming look at the goals conceded column.

you do talk some rubbish. You really believe lambert not being clinical enough is why we are where we are? Nothing to do with the goals conceded? Have a blooming look at the goals conceded column.

I give up, for some Lambert can do no wrong, this is causing major problems, we can't drop him because the fans won't wear it but he doesn't score when we need him to. 5 goals and a penalty in 17 isn't an acceptable rate for a principal PL striker. No way. Insisting with him is holding us back. Needs to be pushed aside and let us see what JRod can do as a main striker.

I give up, for some Lambert can do no wrong, this is causing major problems, we can't drop him because the fans won't wear it but he doesn't score when we need him to. 5 goals and a penalty in 17 isn't an acceptable rate for a principal PL striker. No way. Insisting with him is holding us back. Needs to be pushed aside and let us see what JRod can do as a main striker.

You should give up as your'e completely out of touch. We only had our good run when lambert was in the team. J rod runs around but is about as lethal as a dead fish. How you dont think that the defence is the weak link I dont know. Pleased you dont clean my windows. By the way I thought lambert had a poor game on sat but so did most of the others.

Don't worry pal you're not alone. I've been very critical of Lambert recently. Granted its not entirely his fault as he's had no service (certainly didn't against Sunderland), but his complete lack of mobility means that regardless of how good a finisher he is if you do get him up against centre-backs that can beat him comfortably in the air then he is rendered useless unless we can have players in midfield who can beat/one-two it past players and get to the byeline. Otherwise Lambert really is little more than a target-man.

I think the biggest sign though that demonstrates how much we've overrated Lambert though is the absolute fury from our fanbase when he is compared to Grant Holt, as if even the comparison with a player who naturally we feel is in comparison, a talentless lower-league clogger who scores headers is utterly outrageous. We've even had a few people on here say that he could make it for England.

Lambert is what he is, a decent lower-end Premiership player, no less but really no more. He'll get about 10-12 this season which is a respectable return and currently probably does just about still merit a start. However, he simply has to put more effort in and start coming up with the goods. 5 goals from open play so far this season is hardly setting the league alight.

Don't worry pal you're not alone. I've been very critical of Lambert recently. Granted its not entirely his fault as he's had no service (certainly didn't against Sunderland), but his complete lack of mobility means that regardless of how good a finisher he is if you do get him up against centre-backs that can beat him comfortably in the air then he is rendered useless unless we can have players in midfield who can beat/one-two it past players and get to the byeline. Otherwise Lambert really is little more than a target-man.

I think the biggest sign though that demonstrates how much we've overrated Lambert though is the absolute fury from our fanbase when he is compared to Grant Holt, as if even the comparison with a player who naturally we feel is in comparison, a talentless lower-league clogger who scores headers is utterly outrageous. We've even had a few people on here say that he could make it for England.

Lambert is what he is, a decent lower-end Premiership player, no less but really no more. He'll get about 10-12 this season which is a respectable return and currently probably does just about still merit a start. However, he simply has to put more effort in and start coming up with the goods. 5 goals from open play so far this season is hardly setting the league alight.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

I should also mention that in Lambert's defence, we won't get the most out of him by relying on him too much. The problem against Sunderland was that the midfield had no movement whatsoever, no-one could beat a player or so much as play a half decent one-two or really do anything constructive with the ball from an attacking point of view.

Far too often our midfielders gave the ball to a team-mate with an attitude of "its your problem now" rather than instantly thinking about how to support that player and actually trying to use the ball constructively and creatively.

One example of this was that we hit the ball forward to Lambert time and again regardless of whether he was marked or whether or not he actually might be in a position to get a mismatch with one of the full-backs. I will happily concede that against Sunderland a lot of that wasn't Lambert's fault as an individual.

The defence is a weak point, but ever since our defensive record has improved, so has our potency in front of goal. 25th November Vs Newcastle, was the last time we scored 2 goals in one game. Have got to do better.

It's a compromise. We can look to score 3/4 in a game again, and probably lose by 4 or 5 goals, or we can be solid, hard to break down and score a couple. It's a balance, but in this league with the defenders we've got, there is no way we should have ever been looking to play as open as we did. We've obviously learned from that, and as a result our attacking potency has reduced - which it was always going to do, it was a balancing act.

If I'm honest, I'd prefer us to lose games by the odd goal so we're still competitive and in the game until the end, as opposed to being so open and looking to score on every attack, but because our defense isn't up to scratch we lose 6-3 for e.g.

It was a brave idea, but pretty foolhardy to play as open as we did from the start. A fair bit of naivety from the management right through to the players there.

I know what you mean mate. He's not going to win much in the air against the best defenders out there. If we're going to use him, we need to work on the interplay between the front 4 and supply the ball to his feet. If he drops off, the defenders are less likely to go with him and we're more likely to get joy. We need to play football though if we're going to get him in.

I know what you mean mate. He's not going to win much in the air against the best defenders out there. If we're going to use him, we need to work on the interplay between the front 4 and supply the ball to his feet. If he drops off, the defenders are less likely to go with him and we're more likely to get joy. We need to play football though if we're going to get him in.

No but seriously having seen that JRod strike that was ruled just offside a few games back don't you think "Need some of that"

No but seriously having seen that JRod strike that was ruled just offside a few games back don't you think "Need some of that"

Would definately be useful at times. The Spain style attacking where a host of players take it in turns to come and go is hard to do. Would be good to be able to simplify things with an early ball into a poaching striker.

Ramirez must play behind Ricky with Jayrod on the left wing if we are to get the best service for Lambert.

Or put Puncheon on the left and actually have a natural left footed player on the left crossing from better angles than he manages on the other wing, where he always has to come inside and usually loses it.

Think we're capable of getting something from this one and will be looking for a reaction to the tepid performance of last Saturday. Not sure Kelvin should have been pointing out how few goals Berbatov has scored so far though.

Yes, is tempting fate, but i also think we will come away happy from this game. A season of ups and downs and this will be an up.

Is Kelvin likely to start today? I know he's a stalwart club legend, good bloke and a loyal servant but he makes me nervous and he looks "out of date" between the sticks these days.

Hmm.. I know what you mean but do we have a keeper that doesn't make you nervous?

Gazzaniga scares the **** out of me.

For the record I see a big reaction to the awful display last time out and we'll get a deserved draw

Hmm.. I know what you mean but do we have a keeper that doesn't make you nervous?

Gazzaniga scares the **** out of me.

For the record I see a big reaction to the awful display last time out and we'll get a deserved draw

Agreed; though the nervousness associated with Boruc might be with supporters sitting adjacent to the Saints goal should he start. The lack of information about Boruc's situation and for that matter Gazza's fitness does create an anxiety if Kelvin is the only one available.

Can't see him not starting.

Why is Davis starting? I just don't get it.

Downgrading prediction to loss again because of this and the fact we're usually pants at Christmas and against teams we're expected to beat. 0-1

Why is Davis starting? I just don't get it.

Downgrading prediction to loss again because of this and the fact we're usually pants at Christmas and against teams we're expected to beat. 0-1

Did he do anything wrong on Sat? Made a brilliant save in the first minute.

Only change for me would be J Rod for Mayuka, if fit. Btw, where is Lee?

Did he do anything wrong on Sat? Made a brilliant save in the first minute.

Only change for me would be J Rod for Mayuka, if fit. Btw, where is Lee?

He did make a fine save early and generally looked safe - but the spilled catch which wedged between his feet in a very similar situation to Barts' nightmare v Blackpool is the thing which makes many nervous these days.