• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • De Ridder

Disagree completely with the point about Jay Rod.

Thought the change was made at the right time and he looked lively when he came on.

He looks lively in a run around alot way as usual,but he didnt create anything or look like scoring.

Hes featured in most games this season off the bench at least, how many times has he changed a game?

We were magnificent today, great workrate all over the pitch and much better tempo in possession. We nullified the hottest attack in the EPL and were probably the better side. Bit unlucky to have Gastons strike ruled out for the push, but can see why it was given. Wasn't a foul, but his hands were up and we always get **** refs who will give that to the big clubs all day long and twice on Sundays. Willshere is the most overrated waste of space. I really don't get why the media fawn over him so much. And he's a proper diver, unlike Bale who is just too quick for defenders. Anyway, got one in the Jacobs from Ramirez, which makes him MOTM for me.

He looks lively in a run around alot way as usual,but he didnt create anything or look like scoring.

Hes featured in most games this season off the bench at least, how many times has he changed a game?

Jay Rod caused problems for Arsenal back four on a few occasions. His pace got him to balls that got played over the top on a few occasions and had Arsenal running towards their own goal, something Ricky wouldn't be able to do. They both offer something different and as Ricky didn't look like scoring, I thought NA made the right choice bringing on Jay Rod.

I'm starting to think Ricky might be an option to play in the hole behind Jay.

Edited by slickmick

We were magnificent today, great workrate all over the pitch and much better tempo in possession. We nullified the hottest attack in the EPL and were probably the better side. Bit unlucky to have Gastons strike ruled out for the push, but can see why it was given. Wasn't a foul, but his hands were up and we always get **** refs who will give that to the big clubs all day long and twice on Sundays. Willshere is the most overrated waste of space. I really don't get why the media fawn over him so much. And he's a proper diver, unlike Bale who is just too quick for defenders. Anyway, got one in the Jacobs from Ramirez, which makes him MOTM for me.

Media fawn over wilshere because he is excellent. Absolute skill and talent and we did well to keep him quiet. It happens

As for cheating. How many times does Ramirez go flying to the ground per game?? You don't seem too bothered about that???

Edited by Thedelldays

I haven't seen MOTD, but the flag went up immediately, so I assumed the ref blew for offside, was that not the case?

Nope, Gaston was actually well on side, linesman flagged for a push Gaston made - which was so slight that it wouldn't have knocked over a feather. Basically, their defender was caught out and had to improvise a way to get himself out of the ****...

I haven't seen MOTD, but the flag went up immediately, so I assumed the ref blew for offside, was that not the case?

Nope, supposed 'push' or nudge on kocielny (I think) by Ramirez, even thought his action of flying onto the floor was delayed by about 2 seconds...wasn't a foul for me.

No he definitely raised his flag for the push, and there was a push all be it a very little one. MLT raised the point afterwards though - had it been the other way round would it have been a penalty? I doubt it. Penalty on Yoshida as well in the first half, attrocious tackle from behind throuhg the legs by Vermaelen, but also Cork probably did handball it as well.

On balance of play we deserved to win it, however........

A point against any of the top 4/6 is bonus point in my book

The team will take great confidence from this and if the same industry can be applied against Villa we can win.

Hopefully they will get embarassed by Ipswich in the FA cup and then have a long battling game against Bradford on Tuesday with us having a full weeks rest (with some rested against Chelski I reckon).

Villa have been atrocious recently, against Swansea they somehow got a draw despite Swansea haveing 23 shots and 61% possesion, got hammered by Spurs 4-0, 20 shots gainst and 39% possesion, 3-0 against Wigan, although only 9 shots, and 8-0 against Chelsea, conceding 24 shots and only having 37% possesion. They are us at the start of the season and there for the taking.

ONE big questionmark is - why is the defender falling backwards if Ramirez pushes him in the back? The natural thing is to fall forward if someone is pushing you in the back? So nice acting from the defender and bad call from the ref - I still say that it should have been 2-1 there. OK Im happy with one piont but feel a bit robbet of another 2.....

Poor support from us, can't remember such a quiet home crowd for such a big game ever before.

Don't like to dwell on the negatives as there's far more positives right now but our home support does seem to be getting poorer each home game. Last night was shocking we were attacking second half in near silence. If the Northam/Kingsland corner don't make a bit of noise then SMS is dead. Most south of the halfway line need to wake up, you don't have to sing but give them a bit of a roar if we're piling forward.

Good start to 2013, we need a Gaston Thriller at Aston Villa, repeat of QPR away will do nicely.

Though Morgan was excellent, covered huge amounts of ground. Davis had his best game for us imo. Puncheon a poor game by his (this season very high as it's already been pointed out) standards. The back 4 looked solid, a real credit to the work that has been put in on the training ground. Gaston is starting to look worth the admission fee alone, I love him. Great vision (that back heeled pass at the edge of the box in the first time would be all over MOTD if Berba did it) and a superb finish for the allowed goal, watched the disallowed goal back and the quality of the take and finish was World Class imo. Does go to ground easily.

Think I saw a different Wiltshire to everyone else on here, completely agree with the diving/ moaning part but thought he looked an outstanding centre midfielder, literally everything came through him moving forward and he has the uncanny ability to find space in the middle and actually pass the ball successfully to an easy option. Simple football stuff that makes him the closest English player to the Spanish and German midfielders at the moment.

Other observations

Boroc's kicking was possibly the worst I've ever seen from a professional footballer (even worse than one of Paul Jones' more "shaky" days). His throws were superb, his kicks scared me to death!

How many Jap's do we get at St Marys because of Yoshi? Seriously it must be a few hundred, loads with bags full from the mega store too. Canny business move but becoming a genuine player too.

Oh yeah I remember the other thing from the game I thought was odd.

Arsenal's away fans have some cheek coming and singing about being quiet and not singing when at the Emerates there was nothing for 90 mins! Felt that was just embarrassing from them that they could manage exactly two songs at home and hardly made a noise when they were smashing them past us and away as soon as it started to go wrong (aka they didn't look comfortable to win) they shut up again.

Where i sit, i can see right across the line and i didn't even bother to get stand up and cheer when Gaston scored. While it was a only a little push, it was a clear push which bought him space to control the ball and turn. sorry to say but the lino got it right....

However if i put on my saints goggles on - Gaston never touched him - greatest goal i've ever seen!! :-)

Very happy with last night's display. Guly was unfortunate, 99/100 that goes in the Chapel and it was a stupid free kick to give away by JP. Boruc looked solid after a wobbly start and should retain the jersey. Back 4 were all outstanding and any of them could have been MOTM. Morgan did well and that was Davis's best game for Saints by far. Gaston was lively throughout but right decision to sub him as he was tiring. Puncheon did well free kick apart and put in an excellent defensive shift supporting his full back as did Guly. Rickie held it up nicely and won a lot of headers. J Rod and SDR were handy coming on as subs.

Well done to Theo and Ox at the end. The only sour note for me was that tasteless 'French Jimmy Saville' song aimed at Wenger. The 'geese' one at the Emirates was original and funny, last night's song had all the charm and grace of a w@nk stain.

Think I saw a different Wiltshire to everyone else on here, completely agree with the diving/ moaning part but thought he looked an outstanding centre midfielder, literally everything came through him moving forward and he has the uncanny ability to find space in the middle and actually pass the ball successfully to an easy option. Simple football stuff that makes him the closest English player to the Spanish and German midfielders at the moment.

absolutely outstanding player, brilliant touch but also strong and quick too. Thought he was the stand out player. Credit to us for ensuring the other didn't benefit from his bursts into space. If only England could find another 1 or 2 of him.

I knew people would kick off about the substitutions, plenty around me were doing the same but they were absolutely the right changes at the right time.

I don't go with that. Lambert was winning everything at the time and causing them all sorts of problems. I thought we should have taken Ramirez off and let Rodriguez try and get on the end of his countless flick ons. In the end we took both off and went with the extra midfielder. Our goal threat decreased not increased.

Agreed with the Lambert sub - he was tiring and hadn't really affected the game IMO. Slowly their CBs were bring the ball further and further forward out of defence.

I didn't agree with Ramirez at the time as he was having one of his best games for us and was a goal threat. However - having thought about it I can understand why we did it. JWP enabled us to match their system more, and is more diligent defensively than Gaston.

Scores his open goal v Stoke we win 4-1

Doesnt score an OG today and we win 1-0

You do the maths

He's cost us 4 points in his last two games!

Good to see him end his year+ goal drought though!!!

No he hasn't, he's helped us win 2 points. What a load of idiotic rubbish.

Ignore the complete tool called glasgow, his just attention seeker...

I called it as a 2-2 so 1-1 ok for me. Guessed our ex-pats wouldn't be up for it here in front of their old home crowd so surprised Wenger started them. I wonder, did they let us "win" so they could have Morgan and Luke on the cheap - how else do you explain their incompetence and our unusual dominance. I'm not allowed to expand further. Now to stuff Benitez & Co.

Agreed with the Lambert sub - he was tiring and hadn't really affected the game IMO. Slowly their CBs were bring the ball further and further forward out of defence.

I didn't agree with Ramirez at the time as he was having one of his best games for us and was a goal threat. However - having thought about it I can understand why we did it. JWP enabled us to match their system more, and is more diligent defensively than Gaston.

No harm in resting old Rick now and again, he's knocking on a bit now and 4 games in 10 days is asking a lot of the old codger.

Before the match I'd have taken a point but I'm a bit gutted we didn't get all 3, Arsenal were having a real off day but we didn't quite manage to put them to the sword.

Thought Gaston was a very classy attacking link, the lad is really finding his feet and will only get better.

After his initial bout of nerves Boruc looked pretty assured too, I just hope he gets a proper run of games now.

A point against Arsenal is nothing to be sniffed at but I can't help feeling it was 2 dropped.

Before the match I'd have taken a point but I'm a bit gutted we didn't get all 3, Arsenal were having a real off day but we didn't quite manage to put them to the sword.

Thought Gaston was a very classy attacking link, the lad is really finding his feet and will only get better.

After his initial bout of nerves Boruc looked pretty assured too, I just hope he gets a proper run of games now.

A point against Arsenal is nothing to be sniffed at but I can't help feeling it was 2 dropped.

As I saw it Arsenal had an off day because we stopped them having an "on" day. Right from the off we chased and harried them, getting a boot or a head in all the time. It's what happened to us a few times early in the season. They didn't play badly, in the main we just stopped them from playing their type of football and they didn't have the personnel to change enough for it to make a difference.

I thought we had a really good game: right tactics bossing Arse in the middle of the park, a solid back four showing good spatial anticipation and both wide midfielders tracking back as well as forward in support of RL and GR; centre midfield closed theirs down like terriers.

Boruc - 5 solid after a shaky start and a real character; mad as a hatter; not a lot to do 'cos we defended so well

Cork - 8 as good an RB display defensively as you will see but no attacking threat

Fonte - 8 one of his best games in the PL; covering well for others

Yoshi - 8 ditto; well positioned and solid throughout; for me just shaded MotM

Shaw - 7 not his best game but dealt well with AOC

Morgan - 8 commanded the centre of the field

Davis - 7 scurried around spoiling Arse's midfield; with MS, nullified Willshire and co

Puncheon - 5 well below his best and sometimes seemed unsure where to run to or pass to; poor shooting - best one went straight to the keeper

Gaston - 7 inventive and sometimes too clever for his teammates; good two "goals"

GDP - 8 strong on the ball and closed Sagna down almost every time when the latter attacked; cracking 2nd half shot

Lambert - 6 strong but too immobile; not at his best and never looked like scoring.

Subs did OK but we lost our attacking threat and didn't look like scoring after GR, RL and GDP departed. GDP had to attack the Walcott free kick otherwise Koscielny would have got to it.

Saints looked like the team challenging for Europe, not Arsenal. We deserved to win 2-1 and didn't deserve to have Gaston's little hand-off penalised (I originally thought it was for a wrongful off-side). Tactically spot-on.

(I don't know what Ottery is talking about -sunny Devon indeed - OSM is only a few miles from here and it's been cloudy and raining or drizzling almost incessantly for as long as I can remember.)

Five point cushion over Reading and QPR, one over Wigan and not far behind Villa and Newcastle. The future's bright; the future's red and white!