• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • De Ridder

We are entirely justified in considering that a point gained, whereas Arsenal will surely consider it two points lost. I came away from the match feeling much the same sometimes as when we have won. But in reality, looking at the stats of shots on goal, we certainly had it within our grasp to gain all three points. Any neutral observer asked to identify which team was the star-studded glory team and which was the one only recently languishing in the third division would have been hard pressed to choose Arsenal as the better team.

Tactically, Adkins got it spot on today, as he had against Stoke. He played each team in such a fashion as to neutralise their strengths. In the case of Arsenal, we had to be in their faces, denying them the space to play their fast passing game. Time and time again we tackled the ball off them, or saw their passes go astray, so it us who played the neater passes and kept possession to better effect.

Sky would have scheduled this match expecting a goal-fest and if they were lucky, a high-scoring Arsenal win reminiscent of that against Newcastle the last time they played. What a disappointment we must have provided them, with Arsenal unable to score and our increasingly mean and well-organised defence improving with every match; and we didn't even have our first choice right back available.

Tonight I feel a real sense of pride in our manager and our team. Playing like that against Arsenal, if sustained, gives cause for optimism for the second half of the season, especially if we can fine-tune the team a bit with a good signing or two in this transfer window.

Lucky, lucky Arsenal. We did enough to win it and the disallowed goal for a nudge by Ramirez looked very marginal. Back four tremendous with mention for Cork's job at RB. Boruc looked better as the game wore on and his mopping up of Jose's back pass and clean take from Theo's drive from the right showed steadiness. As others have said, Guly had a second consecutive good game with effective defensive help for Shaw; several good crosses and high energy levels. Punch looked dangerous; Gaston a threat and Ricky's hold up work was outstanding. My only complaint with the subs was that it took away any attacking threat we had and immediately had us "holding on" for the point. Atmosphere looked and sounded brilliant. A little bit of quality added during January will help a lot.

Winnersaints and chalet. its the nearest pub to where I am staying. I was too late to get a ticket for this game. still three pints of morlands made for a noisy and excited saints fan. It could have been worse I could have been in the maidens now that was a pub full of inbreds, thank god that has been closed down.

I saw Laurie Mac was at the game today with his Mrs. Also Mr and Mrs Paine were at the game sat behind NC.

On a final note i thought our second goal should have been allowed. Initially I thought it was disallowed due to offside no way was it a foul.

Good performance from the team and a great one by the defence. Yoshida just pips Cork for MoM for me.

Well done Nigel Adkins; got the tactics and line-up spot on again today. I wonder how many on here still want him sacked?

Thought it was a great second goal by Gaston, but he did give a slight shove before hand.

Happy with the point, as I thought we were going to get spanked after watching the Arse/Newcastle match, but in the end really felt we could have won it.

Very pleased to be out of the bottom three.

Really looking forward to the Villa match!!

Can't choose between Cork, Yoshi and Schneiderlin.

The rest of the team were good also, and an honourable mention for Steve Davis - probably his best game in a Saints shirt so far.

Same for me, and now I've seen the qualities I had hoped we were getting when we signed Steve Davis.

The back-heeled pass from Ramirez in the first half was pure genius.

Kudos to Cork, Shaw and the wide midfielders for shutting out Arsenal down the flanks. Without Clyne and Lalllana I thought that's where we'd get done.

I'm still stunned at Alpine's post, after everyone worked their nuts off to deny space to one of the most potent attacks in the PL. Cretinously stupid even for him, and that's saying something.

Great match.

Everyone looked good out there, Boruc started a bit shaky but played good after the shaky start.

You can see that the players have faith in Boruc and dare to pass the ball to him whenever.

He also came up in the air to pick out a few balls that i think Davis might have had problems with.

There is one BIG thing from this match that I dont think that anyone here has reflected on.

The pass home from Fonte, I think that Davis or Gazza wouldnt have came out for it and we would

probably have been scored on.

Anyone else think the same?

I thought Theo didn't try and chase it, Theo and Alex are saints at heart

On a final note i thought our second goal should have been allowed. Initially I thought it was disallowed due to offside no way was it a foul.

The linesman definitely gave it for a push, not for offside. I thought at the time I saw a nudge but will wait for MOTD.

Same for me, and now I've seen the qualities I had hoped we were getting when we signed Steve Davis.

The back-heeled pass from Ramirez in the first half was pure genius.

Kudos to Cork, Shaw and the wide midfielders for shutting out Arsenal down the flanks. Without Clyne and Lalllana I thought that's where we'd get done.

I'm still stunned at Alpine's post, after everyone worked their nuts off to deny space to one of the most potent attacks in the PL. Cretinously stupid even for him, and that's saying something.

So, its cretinously stupid to believe that having done the hard work by, as you put it, denying space to one of the most potent attacks in the PL, that we use our many chances to win the game ?

May I remind you that apart from Reading, we have the worst record in the table for giving away points once we have acquired the lead ? Its 19 now, I believe.

Our home games are running out fast. We need to win them, given our dire away record, if we want to stay up.

Really, I wonder at this sites ability to see any sort of balance whatsoever sometimes. Yes, our defence has improved, but it was only 3 games ago when the whole team played utterly sh*te against Sunderland. There is a massive amount of work to be done, and a critical time has arrived where we must reinforce in the right manner. Getting a home point against Arsenal is near the beginning of the process, not the end.

Not been hugely impresssed with Davis up to now but clearly another player who is growing into the role, we have so many players that are only going to get better.Stick with Boruc as keeper too I can see him as a future fans favorite.

Oh, give it up with the foul whining. Post your post-match thoughts on Facebook if all you want is a gushing sheep mentality, rather than a real discussion.

You're still a mentalist if you don't take the opposition into account when assessing the value of a point. Arsenal were poor because of our hard work.

So, its cretinously stupid to believe that having done the hard work by, as you put it, denying space to one of the most potent attacks in the PL, that we use our many chances to win the game ?

May I remind you that apart from Reading, we have the worst record in the table for giving away points once we have acquired the lead ? Its 19 now, I believe.

Our home games are running out fast. We need to win them, given our dire away record, if we want to stay up.

Really, I wonder at this sites ability to see any sort of balance whatsoever sometimes. Yes, our defence has improved, but it was only 3 games ago when the whole team played utterly sh*te against Sunderland. There is a massive amount of work to be done, and a critical time has arrived where we must reinforce in the right manner. Getting a home point against Arsenal is near the beginning of the process, not the end.

Oh go boil your head you sanctimonious *****! That was a truly battling performance against a quality Arsenal side and we stopped them having the walkover they thought it would be.

The team deserve credit not some utter garbage trying to justify your constant whingeing and negativity.

You're still a mentalist if you don't take the opposition into account when assessing the value of a point. Arsenal were poor because of our hard work.

I'm guessing thats part of it, but having played so brilliantly over the past few games I'm guessing they expected an easy ride today and took their feet off the gas a bit. You can only beat what is in front of you.

Oh go boil your head you sanctimonious *****! That was a truly battling performance against a quality Arsenal side and we stopped them having the walkover they thought it would be.

The team deserve credit not some utter garbage trying to justify your constant whingeing and negativity.

Another attempt at sensible discussion met with abuse. I wonder about the moderation round here sometimes.

No, it's cretinously stupid to turn one of the most positive afternoons of the entire season into nothing more than a negative. Only you could do that.

If you can't enjoy that performance for long enough to resist the urge to post utter sh*t within an hour of the final whistle, you should find another sport. Or another team. Or, better yet, another planet. You ask for all the abuse you get.

No, it's cretinously stupid to turn one of the most positive afternoons of the entire season into nothing more than a negative. Only you could do that.

If you can't enjoy that performance for long enough to resist the urge to post utter sh*t within an hour of the final whistle, you should find another sport. Or another team. Or, better yet, another planet. You ask for all the abuse you get.

Nothin more than a negative ? I praised the defensive improvement, or were you too busy being outraged in my assertion we should have beaten them and therfore 2 points were dropped, to get to the end of my post ?

I'll support who I want to, and you can carry on believing the hype about a point against Arsenal meaning we are the finished article.

Edited by alpine_saint

Not been hugely impresssed with Davis up to now but clearly another player who is growing into the role, we have so many players that are only going to get better.Stick with Boruc as keeper too I can see him as a future fans favorite.

I am going to break the habit of a lifetime and agree with manji. Davis my mom and it is time to stick with this keeper to let him develop confidence.

I was disappointed with Puncheon today mind. Thought he was pretty clueless.

Defence superb and had we had Wiltshire today we would have won with ease.

I'm guessing thats part of it, but having played so brilliantly over the past few games I'm guessing they expected an easy ride today and took their feet off the gas a bit.
we didn't get the rub of the green. The ball hit Sagnas knee and could have easily gone in, Guly went in,add the penalty not given.

how much did guly and shaw cost us? how much did sagna and ox cost arsenal? the battle on that side of the pitch was well and truly won with shaw putting in a performance that belied his age (unfortunate that one of his best performance had to be against wengers team who would now surely be stepping up their pursuit?) and guly working ever so hard to track back and help shaw.

hardworking team performance where no one could been faulted really. thought ramirez showed excellent control and finishing in the disallowed goal but unfortunate to have it disallowed for a touch on the defender, otherwise that could have been the goal to signal his arrival to the premier league. cork did a more than capable job filling in at RB, similarly Davis in cork's position. i think in the event of clyne being out i would much rather this than yoshida at rb/ hooiveld at cb. jury is still out on boruc who had little to do against arsenal (surprisingly and perhaps luckily) did have a very shaky start spilling simple catches in the early stages though, still feel all three keepers are pretty much at the same level

overall, yet again another game in which we could have and maybe should have won like the stoke one but lets just savor a point against one of the biggest teams in the league! bring on chelsea

Another attempt at sensible discussion met with abuse. I wonder about the moderation round here sometimes.

You don't know the meaning of the word sensible discussion all you do is post negative crap to provoke your trolling and your internet persona character you have built up.

Even you don't believe the sh1te you write.

What a great game AGAIN.

From just the 4 stragglers watching the game we ended up with about 20 or 30 joining in oohing and ahhing with us and even had one major OWTS from everyone (mixed footie fans who loved watching Arsenal get a footballing lesson)

Cork showed real class today, especailly when he put Gervinho on his ass. Compare him and Wilshire as England candidates? Hmm

Shaw owned AOC. Davis & Guly put in exceptional shifts, Morgan, Lambert did everything we would expect.

Fonte? Slowly becoming true PL quality as is Yoshida.

Ramirez? Oh yes he's had a run now since he came back from injury and as the TV taters said "starting to prove to the sceptical Saints fans that he will be the real deal." OK it was disallowed but what a finish for the second "goal"

Puncheon non existant in the 1st half came into his own as the game wore on, still took the wrong options though.

Subs showed why we need to spend money.

But as the Arsenal haters said "wow, you boys have a great team there, well played"

REALLY enjoyed the game even though am sick as a pig today

We don't always get along but I heartily agree. It's ridiculous to be anything other than extremely pleased to get a point against arsenal.

Completely agree with the first part but I'm still not sure about Boruc. He has a very lazy style that causes him problems but he's also capable of big saves and dominating his box. He's an unabashed whacko, and I suspect that the fan affection will only last until he makes a few errors, which he's certainly capable of doing.

we didn't get the rub of the green. The ball hit Sagnas knee and could have easily gone in, Guly went in,add the penalty not given.

I don't usually whine about bad luck but I don't think we got one break, or even one bounce, the entire game. Even when Arsenal panicked at the back, which was quite often, everything seemed to fall their way.

Alpine. I am unsure as the next man about our chances of survival

But saints looked anything but a bottom 4 side today. GULY had another good game. Worth his place. You could see he was utterly gutted when he came off but he had To go for the ball...

Good point against an arsenal team who have been on fire

Best chant of the day at Wenger by the Northam "Your just a French Jimmy Savile" :D quality!!!!

Hilarious. Weird you find it amusing. What annoyed me is the northam singing "one Nigel Adkins" just before they scored when they had a free kick in dangerous area" sing it at the right time.

Have to agree, not been Davis' biggest fan (not sure he offered us much up until now), but thought he was excellent today and had by far his best game for us.

Thought our set up, tactics and the way we played was spot on today and although happy with a point also felt we played well enough to deserve all three. Some big performances out there today and wouldn't want to single anyone out as was a great team performance against an in form team.

A lot is being made of the fact that Arsenal looked flat, but we didn't let them play. Simple as that.

Our tactical shape and balance defensively was spot on, as good as it's been all season. Whenever they picked up the ball in the centre, we got close...and midfielders also dropped off to close the space in front, so you often saw them passing backwards or sideways. So no threat really.

But we also retained the ball very well, and it soudns simple - but as long as you have it, the other team can't create chances or score goals!

I'll go with what i've been saying for the last few weeks, we're now a PL team. Competitive in every game we play, and I predict that 2013 will be better than a lot expect. I think we've got a new found resolve, as well as retaining our attacking threat - and against anyone we've shown we can score goals, and cause problems.

We still can't ignore the January window, as it's an excellent opportunity to build on what we're doing and enhance the area's which we're a bit short in. But there's not much wrong with us, a couple of tweaks in the window and the 2nd half could be a lot of fun.

Overall I felt it was a decent point today, and it keeps our head out of the zone again.

Scores his open goal v Stoke we win 4-1

Doesnt score an OG today and we win 1-0

You do the maths

if Guly had left the ball the arsenal player would have scored. If the own goal had not been, the whole passage of play would have been different and we may have lost. If an event doesn't happen the rest that follows is different.therefore you can't say we would have won 1-0