• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • De Ridder

if Guly had left the ball the arsenal player would have scored. If the own goal had not been, the whole passage of play would have been different and we may have lost. If an event doesn't happen the rest that follows is different.therefore you can't say we would have won 1-0

No guarentees that they score if Guly doesnt score that OG! You cant/shouldnt predict the unknown

Scores his open goal v Stoke we win 4-1

Doesnt score an OG today and we win 1-0

You do the maths

I think you are on a wind-up. You know as well as everyone else that it doesn't work that way. There is no way you can assume that without the OG we would have won 1-0.

A lot is being made of the fact that Arsenal looked flat, but we didn't let them play. Simple as that.

Was thinking same thing walking home tonight, in that whilst I think Arsenal wont be happy with their performance I do think the main reason was that we outfought and out thought them in key areas.

We definitely stifled them going forward and Ox, Theo, Giroud & Podolski never got much change out of the defence. Put them nder pressure in the midfield and never really let them play, although Wiltshere looked composed and dangerous whenever he had his foot on the ball.

Click on Alpine's name on the thread, go to his profile and add him to ignore list.

Shhs! .... He said no names ;)

As for the game. Only thing to havit better for me was guly not scoring an own goal. He works so hard to appease the fans then it all goes. wrong and the same few beat him mercilessly. I thought tactic were good.. we shut then down! And all players were superb bar boric... Still has sum work to do for me. Morgab. Gran, GRam, cork or yoshi for MOM

Nice to see Alps is back derailing threads though, I suppose even the Grinch smiled at xmas

I thought this was the post-match reaction thread, meaning people should post their reactions to the match, not what you think they should be.

- I think it was 2 points dropped at home again, considering how the game went

- I am pleased at our defensive improvement.

- I am worried our new defensive understanding might about to be disturbed by a moove for Shaw

Wow, controversial.....

No guarentees that they score if Guly doesnt score that OG! You cant/shouldnt predict the unknown

aye? But you have done exactly that. Guly scores we go 4-1 up, but who knows maybe Stoke get a 4-4 draw. Guly doesn't score own goal today but perhaps they pile men forward a la Stoke and score at a different point to get a 1-1 draw. You can't/shouldn't predict the unknown.

aye? But you have done exactly that. Guly scores we go 4-1 up, but who knows maybe Stoke get a 4-4 draw. Guly doesn't score own goal today but perhaps they pile men forward a la Stoke and score at a different point to get a 1-1 draw. You can't/shouldn't predict the unknown.

I predicted that you'd write that ;)

I thought this was the post-match reaction thread, meaning people should post their reactions to the match, not what you think they should be.

- I am worried our new defensive understanding might about to be disturbed by a moove for Shaw

Wow, controversial.....

its the way you tell it Alpine. To take the shine off by saying we should have won it when patently Arsenal would feel the same. I was not confident of a point until the final whistle. When you have the quality we were up against they could turn the game in seconds.in fact if it was not for Yoshidas interception right at the end they could have nicked it. It was a good point and whilst in theory it could be seen as 2 dropped points it is churlish to mention it. A worldly stopped us Saturday and the rub of the green today.

Wow, controversial.....

You know what you are though Alps, your precision and timing are impeccable, you allow everyone to set the mood, happy with a fantastic display against one of the prems heavies and then Boom, jump in with an assessment that we are drab and not good enough ?

And if you really are that 'innocent' do you really not expect this reaction ? I mean ? If these really are how you feel, so mind numbingly, chillingly depressing. You consistantly miss the mark

I think you thrive off the attention.

i thought this was the post-match reaction thread, meaning people should post their reactions to the match, not what you think they should be.

- i think it was 2 points dropped at home again, considering how the game went

- i am pleased at our defensive improvement.

- i am worried our new defensive understanding might about to be disturbed by a moove for shaw

wow, controversial.....

kok

its the way you tell it Alpine. To take the shine off by saying we should have won it when patently Arsenal would feel the same. I was not confident of a point until the final whistle. When you have the quality we were up against they could turn the game in seconds.in fact if it was not for Yoshidas interception right at the end they could have nicked it. It was a good point and whilst in theory it could be seen as 2 dropped points it is churlish to mention it. A worldly stopped us Saturday and the rub of the green today.

And the excuse for the next match will be ?

I dont think it is churlish to mention it. I think the team is lacking a winning/killer mentality. 19 points lost after taking the lead. I suppose that is all luck in your opinion ?

As Mark Bright on the BBC wrote, Arsenal were there for the taking today, we wont often get a better chance to beat them.

Most threads turn into Alpine vs the world at some stage.

I think it's a good thing that people of all views can come here and express themselves, whatever they think. It's just ****ing annoying when they then feel the need to push that view over and over again, quote everyone that disagrees with them, post abuse and then cry when it comes back... and then have the nerve to complain about a lack of debate.

Most threads turn into Alpine vs the world at some stage.

I think it's a good thing that people of all views can come here and express themselves, whatever they think. It's just ****ing annoying when they then feel the need to push that view over and over again, quote everyone that disagrees with them, post abuse and then cry when it comes back... and then have the nerve to complain about a lack of debate.

You want to think about how it feels when you express your opinon, like everyone else, then get a dozen posters responding with relentless abuse. Of course I try to defend myself/elaborate my opinion.

How anyone can think it is attention seeking in such context is utterly beyond me.

As I said earlier, I get a whiff of "we're the finished PL article" on here, just because we drew with one of the weakest Arsenal teams for years.

Does anybody else find it annoying, when listening to score round-ups on TV, when the presenter claims 'Southampton held Arsenal to a 1-1 draw' as if they were all over us and we somehow managed to hang on in there.

Wow, controversial.....

Well, I guess you never complained after the Sunderland game??

Cause if points gained or dropped is only because of performance you should think that we didn´t drop any points at all in that game....

A great performance today. We could and should have won. Everyone played well and a great atmosphere. Weren't the Arsenal fans shocking? I left the ground slightly disappointed we didn't win but tremendously proud. If we continue our improvement we will have no problem staying up. I chose Davis as MOM simply because it was his best performance so far. And a shame for the own goal for Guly. More ammunition for his hate brigade. He played well.

Wow, controversial.....

For the first time in a long while I'm kind of with Alpine. I came away from the ground wondering exactly how we didn't win the game. We deserved to as we were by far and away the better side. We stifled Arsenal brilliantly, but equally they were terrible. Sagna and Corzola gave the ball away under no pressure time after time and they weren't the only ones.

I'm not taking anything away from our own display, but they really were there for the taking (because we had done so much to win the middle of the park) but we just didn't see really go for the jugular. No idea why we took Lambert off. He was ****ing all over their centre backs. Swap Rodriguez for Ramirez and go for it. Instead we bring Ward-Prowse on for Ramirez and we take our foot off their throat dropping deeper rather than pushing on. Strange. I guess this might seem harsh/greedy, bloody hell, I went into the game worried about a beating, I come away disappointed not to have won. We certainly have come a long long way in three years. Hopefully we can continue this form and beat Villa in two weeks time.

Boruc 4 forget the two handling errors, it was his terrible kicking that concerned me more. He struggled to make the half way line and put us under pressure with some woeful slices and bad clearances. How slow was he to come out for the under-hit backpass. Great throw outs.

Cork 8 I hate to see his talent wasted at rightback and I couldn't help think why not play Richardson there, but he had a very good game and kept us very solid. He's top notch no matter where he plays. Lack of overlapping didn't help Puncheon, but perhaps was right for the team.

Yoshida 8 Since I slated him he has been first class defensively. Distribution still leaves a lot to be desired at times, but I can live with that.

Fonte 8 another very good game, although our tactics and Arsenal made it easy for him as they hoofed it long to the tiny Walcott.

Shaw 8 very assured again, but with every game he offers a little more offensively. By the end of the season he might be running games from left back like Bale did for us...hopefully

Puncheon 6 not his best game for me (he's set high standards), nothing seemed to really go right, but he also didn't seem to want to take Gibbs on. Did Gibbs have him in his pocket at the Emirates? He did fashion the best chance himself, but on his swinger he just put his head down and hit and hoped when tucking it in the corner was what was required. Good defensively. Very honest tracking of runners.

Morgan 8 very strong game

Davis 8 also a very good game. He was very composed and more than competed with their three in the middle

Guly 7 another good shift working hard up and down the line. Would like to see him offer himself at throw ins, he just stands there doing nothing. Didn't really penetrate offensively, but the balance of the side perhaps doesn't need a second attacking wide player

Ramirez 7 not a lot came off for him, he often tries that little bit too hard, but I just love seeing him go for things. I just get the feeling that when it all clicks he is going to take a team apart. Felt our threat decreased when he and Lambert went off

Lambert 8 dominated in the air. Unfortunately Ramirez dropped deep to collect so when the ball went long he wasn't there to take advantage of Lambert's headers. Do not understand the substitution. Rodriguez with Lambert near the end would have been my preference.

Rodriguez a threat when he came on. He offers us something different as he runs the channels.

Edited by Chez

For the first time in a long while I'm kind of with Alpine. I came away from the ground wondering exactly how we didn't win the game. We deserved to as we were by far and away the better side. We stifled Arsenal brilliantly, but equally they were terrible. Sagna and Corzola gave the ball away under no pressure time after time and they weren't the only ones.

I'm not taking anything away from our own display, but they really were there for the taking (because we had done so much to win the middle of the park) but we just didn't see really go for the jugular. No idea why we took Lambert off. He was ****ing all over their centre backs. Swap Rodriguez for Ramirez and go for it. Instead we bring Ward-Prowse on for Ramirez and we take our foot off their throat dropping deeper rather than pushing on. Strange. I guess this might seem harsh/greedy, bloody hell, I went into the game worried about a beating, I come away disappointed not to have won. We certainly have come a long long way in three years. Hopefully we can continue this form and beat Villa in two weeks time.

Boruc 4 forget the two handling errors, it was his terrible kicking that concerned me more. He struggled to make the half way line and put us under pressure with some woeful slices and bad clearances. How slow was he to come out for the under-hit backpass. Great throw outs.

Cork 8 I hate to see his talent wasted at rightback and I couldn't help think why not play Richardson there, but he had a very good game and kept us very solid. He's top notch no matter where he plays. Lack of overlapping didn't help Puncheon, but perhaps was right for the team.

Yoshida 8 Since I slated him he has been first class defensively. Distribution still leaves a lot to be desired at times, but I can live with that.

Fonte 8 another very good game, although our tactics and Arsenal made it easy for him as they hoofed it long to the tiny Walcott.

Shaw 8 very assured again, but with every game he offers a little more offensively. By the end of the season he might be running games from left back like Bale did for us...hopefully

Puncheon 6 not his best game for me (he's set high standards), nothing seemed to really go right, but he also didn't seem to want to take Gibbs on. Did Gibbs have him in his pocket at the Emirates? He did fashion the best chance himself, but on his swinger he just put his head down and hit and hoped when tucking it in the corner was what was required. Good defensively. Very honest tracking of runners.

Morgan 8 very strong game

Davis 8 also a very good game. He was very composed and more than competed with their three in the middle

Guly 7 another good shift working hard up and down the line. Would like to see him offer himself at throw ins, he just stands there doing nothing. Didn't really penetrate offensively, but the balance of the side perhaps doesn't need a second attacking wide player

Ramirez 7 not a lot came off for him, he often tries that little bit too hard, but I just love seeing him go for things. I just get the feeling that when it all clicks he is going to take a team apart. Felt our threat decreased when he and Lambert went off

Lambert 8 dominated in the air. Unfortunately Ramirez dropped deep to collect so when the ball went long he wasn't there to take advantage of Lambert's headers. Do not understand the substitution. Rodriguez with Lambert near the end would have been my preference.

Rodriguez a threat when he came on. He offers us something different as he runs the channels.

Inimagine he went for J Rod as he offers more running, Lambert gave them a battering all game but J Rod gives you legs.

The two that surprised me though was Ramirez as he always looks like he could make something happen, he played well today, plays some good football, he will get used to the players around him eventually. And punch, he didnt have his best game, nothing really worked, id have kept Guly on and taken Punch off

Other than that, more or less spot on, MS and yoshida immense, Cork strong, bit harsh on Boruc, 6 maybe but yes his kicking was abysmal.

In reply to Chez, I didn't think Lambert was an 8 today. Won a fair share of headers but didn't direct them well, often looping them up in the air. No shots from him either that I can recall, we need more than that from our main striker.

Just home, first time i've seen saints get a result at home this season, in a nut shell I thought it would be 7-0 after Boruc acted more like Borat, complete clown and last ever game I imagine. On the positives can't fault any other player, defence was quality, to only let in one goal after Arsenal smashing Newcastle is amazing. Well done lads

Not quite sure what to make of this, other than severe misuse of a Christmas present. As good as Merson and Lawrenson, I guess, other than the bit about Sagna taking his braids out:

http://gingers4limpar.com/?p=2635&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=diary-of-a-season-southampton-1-arsenal-1

Just home in sunny Devon.

Well done Saints..

Giving 8 score for everyone.

But Steve Davis gets an EXTRA SPECIAL mention......

Worked his socks off...fought for every ball....

Never let Arsenal settle.

Made himself available all the time. WELL DONE TEAM AND VERY WELL DONE Steve DAVIS.:)

In reply to Chez, I didn't think Lambert was an 8 today. Won a fair share of headers but didn't direct them well, often looping them up in the air. No shots from him either that I can recall, we need more than that from our main striker.

It wasnt his best of games, which is why I wasnt too worried he was replaced, that pass from Gaston when he just looked at him summed him up, we do need more movement from him upfront IMO, he is a striker playing like a midfielder

It wasnt his best of games, which is why I wasnt too worried he was replaced, that pass from Gaston when he just looked at him summed him up, we do need more movement from him upfront IMO, he is a striker playing like a midfielder

Lambert just isn't mobile enough to lead the line - he needs someone likec Rodriguez to play in front of him and run the channels - and get the best out of him

At times today his lack of pace really cost us today - plus he ran out of steam long before the 90 mins was up

He's really best as a second striker

Just home, first time i've seen saints get a result at home this season, in a nut shell I thought it would be 7-0 after Boruc acted more like Borat, complete clown and last ever game I imagine. On the positives can't fault any other player, defence was quality, to only let in one goal after Arsenal smashing Newcastle is amazing. Well done lads

He looked shaky for 10 minutes, but after that I thought he settled and from then on he claimed almost everything.

His kicking needs work but some of his distribution out of his hands was superb.

Home just now to see it on motd again.

Positives completely out played them, Yoshida, Fonte and Schniderlin were utter class. Steven Davis got Morg's normal role today and played that much better than Corks (which morg did right). Corck at rb was a very sensible choice too.

I felt so sorry for Guly on the og as he had to touch it, shame it wasn't enough (otherwise it was just rubbish defending from him). He was also good apart from being tired. Punch also looked tired but played well and Gaston was much better after not featuring against Stoke. Lambert was slipping and trying which was ok, just need to think of a better game plan when he is off, Rodriguez can't do that as well...

Shaw was too good and now Wenger will be creaming all over for him :(

Boruc has to be in goal unless we buy a new no.1, give him more game time and he should just do enough to keep us up. Can't put Gazza or Davis back in now.

Negatives, Gaston's second goal was ruled out for literally nothing (from motd). The touch has no bearing on the direction of travel of the cb and I now feel robbed.

Also Steve De Ridder was just the white Ghervinio. Utterly useless after that single run.

All in all we have the right number of points from the last 4 games, but in overall the better way. 3 competitive near wins (that are draws) show the team are a lot better than 17th, which is really nice, just a shame we ruined it against Sunderland.

Really didn't think much of Arsenal after that, they just seemed tired and confused. Recent score lines have flattered them a lot. Also Wilshire needs to learn how to play standing up, comes across as such a nasty little player rolling about like he's been shot anytime we went near him. Don't like seeing players injured at all, but god he deserved another one. Really a pathetic little midfielder, why he is ahead of Cork in the England set up is well and truly beyond me.

The Match of the Day pundits were divided about the disallowed Ramirez goal. I thought it looked marginally offside, but was disallowed because of a push by Ramirez. Dublin said rightly, but Lawrenson said that the goal should have stood, as the Arsenal defender reacted like a leaf in the wind or something like that. Ramirez hardly touched him, so same old Arsenal, always cheating.

Davis was fantastic worked his socks off and played some neat stuff. The whole back 4 did well, although we missed clynes overlaps.

Really pleased for Nigel as there were a few near me moaning about his substitutions but I think be got them spot on. Legs up top and strengthened the middle of the park.

Arsenal were on a roll and had knocked a few in lately, so would have taken a point at start.

Keepers obviously still an issue, but I'd stick with the nutter.

Cork, Yoshi and Davis immense today. Boruc ended the match looking solid as well, despite his, er, "shaky" start. Thought Guly was very good as well.

Nice to see Theo and Alex getting a good reception from us as well, they've been nothing but respectful towards us since they left and have developed into great players.

The Match of the Day pundits were divided about the disallowed Ramirez goal. I thought it looked marginally offside, but was disallowed because of a push by Ramirez. Dublin said rightly, but Lawrenson said that the goal should have stood, as the Arsenal defender reacted like a leaf in the wind or something like that. Ramirez hardly touched him, so same old Arsenal, always cheating.

Koscielny falling wasn't even a reaction to Ramirez, he tried to jump backwards and head a ball which was going behind him and lost his balance. Lawro was right, Gaston barely touched him.

If you watch the replay slowly, there is a brief moment between the (tiny) push and the fall where LK briefly maintains his balance then jumps for the ball.

Not a foul.

Thought we were excellent, particular mention should go to the back 4, each were outstanding and I'd dare say that Cork was a better right back than Clyne has been this year.

Thought Puncheon had a poor 2nd half, kept on taking too many touches, giving the ball away and leaving Cork exposed. Ramirez went missing a bit in the 2nd half as well in my eyes.

Arsenal were very poor though, has to be said, they are such a funny, unpredictable team.

Poor support from us, can't remember such a quiet home crowd for such a big game ever before.

We were pretty good all over the pitch today I thought shcneiderlin and guly worked especially hard.

Gaston was also class and our main attackin threat.

Again though I think after our substitutitions were made and gaston and rickie went off you knew we wouldnt score.

Jay rod still doesnt seem to bring alot to the table, I think we would have had more chance of snatching the win with lambert and ramirez still on

We were pretty good all over the pitch today I thought shcneiderlin and guly worked especially hard.

Gaston was also class and our main attackin threat.

Again though I think after our substitutitions were made and gaston and rickie went off you knew we wouldnt score.

Jay rod still doesnt seem to bring alot to the table, I think we would have had more chance of snatching the win with lambert and ramirez still on

Disagree completely with the point about Jay Rod.

Thought the change was made at the right time and he looked lively when he came on.