Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

How can you guarantee something which can't be measured? And fwiw I think you're wrong. Damiao is a class above Rhodes.

Damiao's scored 29 in 4 seasons in a crap league, Rhodes scored 100 in the same time. Rhodes has a better goalscoring record at international level as well, so yes I think it's fair to say he's a better goalscorer.

Damiao's scored 29 in 4 seasons in a crap league, Rhodes scored 100 in the same time. Rhodes has a better goalscoring record at international level as well, so yes I think it's fair to say he's a better goalscorer.

And 75% of those are in the great league called.....*drumroll*....League One.....

And btw, the Brazilian League is much better than people on here understand. It wasn´t like Neymar could do anything he wanted in that league and still he was superior in Confed Cup....

And 75% of those are in the great league called.....*drumroll*....League One.....

And btw, the Brazilian League is much better than people on here understand. It wasn´t like Neymar could do anything he wanted in that league and still he was superior in Confed Cup....

He's just a Brazilian Jay Rodriguez, we need a goalscorer not some mincer who runs round a lot then misses.

And people say that Damiao's goalscoring record is only good because of the bad defenders he's up against - shocking defending in that video! Lost count of the amount of free headers Sow put in there.

Looks like a decent player though, good movement and finishing and looks a strong lad as well. If we can get him for the right price then he'd be a very good acquisition.

Rhodes is another Billy Sharp. He gets goals in the lower leagues but his allround game isnt up to the PL, hence nobody going for him.

Like Lambert he has no pace but unlike Lambert he has no presence, awareness of others or ability to link the play well.

To suggest he is better than Damiao is laughable.

If we're going to sign another player, it must be someone capable of dislodging a current 1st team regular. Otherwise pointless and we might as well go into the next season with the current line-up. We won't do much better than last season, but then we'll probably not struggle quite as much in some games.

If we're going to sign another player, it must be someone capable of dislodging a current 1st team regular. Otherwise pointless and we might as well go into the next season with the current line-up. We won't do much better than last season, but then we'll probably not struggle quite as much in some games.

If we don't improve much next year I doubt our ability to hold onto Morgan, shaw or clyne for much longer

Rhodes is another Billy Sharp. He gets goals in the lower leagues but his allround game isnt up to the PL, hence nobody going for him.

Like Lambert he has no pace but unlike Lambert he has no presence, awareness of others or ability to link the play well.

To suggest he is better than Damiao is laughable.

To suggest Damiao's a better goalscorer is laughable. Nobody outside of League 1 took a punt on Lambert so that point is irrelevant.

To suggest Damiao's a better goalscorer is laughable. Nobody outside of League 1 took a punt on Lambert so that point is irrelevant.

The fact Lambert is far superior to Rhodes is clearly relevant.

We are looking for a new striker to seriously challenge for Lambert's place in the team. Hence we aren't going to be signing a player that is not as good as Lambert himself.

We are looking for a new striker to seriously challenge for Lambert's place in the team. Hence we aren't going to be signing a player that is not as good as Lambert himself.

The counter argument to that is how good was Lambert at Rhodes age? He was banging in goals for Bristol Rovers in a low league but doubt he had the all round game he has now. Rhodes may well develop and be better with better players around him as SRL clearly was. Saying all that I agree with the post above that we need better than what we have just now and sadly there's just not that many strikers of that quality to go around.

If we were going to sign Rhodes we would have done it last year when he was a sensible price, blowing all that cash on this season is down right retarded, buying Steven Fletcher for £14m retarded. He's not an upgrade on any of our players and isn't screaming I'll be better than Rodriguez in the future so it's such a non starter.

Can tell the premier league should start soon as we're all getting itchy feet and moody

Rhodes is much better than Lambert was at that age, we should get him and rotate the two until Lambert is finished, he'd be an ideal long term replacement if properly managed.

FWIW I think Rhodes is a decent enough player and will play in the prem but I dont think he is what Saints need right now unless we change our style of play, he is also going to be expensive.

The reason we are looking at players such as Osvaldo and Damiao is for their all round play ?

It's the Campeonato Gaucho (regional league) that is the crap Brazilian league he plays in, and in which his scoring record is 40 goals in 52 appearances. The Brasileirao is the national league, and is of a standard equivalent in many ways to the Premier League - it is this league in which he has scored 29 goals in 74 games. Frankly, neither record should be sniffed at, particularly when you add 11 in 19 in the Copa Libertadores.

It's because they're infinitely better players technically, have played with some world class players and look likely to score a lot in the premier league. It's a different world to taking a punt on Rhodes. We took a punt on JRod, who was a much better all round playing, HALF the price and yet still, despite progress is inconsistent and needing to prove a lot more.

I like Jay Rod, but his finishing is appalling compared to Rhodes and that's by far the most important thing for me for a striker. If a player scores every other game I couldn't care less if they sat on their arse for the rest of it.

^ Osvaldo is easily the best striker we've been linked with.

JRod was an excellent finisher in the Championship. You don't seem to be able to judge Rhodes with any objectivity. Is he a relative or something?

Judging solely on goal records is dodgy ground when signing between leagues. Countless players have got great records in lower leagues, scotland, wales, norway, holland, portugal etc and been rubbish in the PL.

It's about far more than that, which is exactly why I thought Lambert would succeed. Not because of goals scored, not because it's saints, just because i'd actually seen him play dozens of times and could see the required, technique, control, vision and composure. If you watch rhodes or any other player and see those skills then fair enough, perhaps they'll make it. but merely throwing numbers of goals around isn't enough.

I'd say Jay Rod was good, but nothing resembling excellent, he'll never be an out and out striker, he seems more of Walcott type player. Yes but common sense would suggest if you have an average record in a poor league you're not going to have a good record in a great league. For all the talk no one has actually been willing to pay any substantial amount for Damiao yet £8mill has been spent on Rhodes from a league one club.

If you say that Rhodes would succeed in PL because he has a similar/better record in lower leagues than Lambert then you are forgetting the most important detail.

Lambert joined us in League One, he had been part of the team for 3 years before he played his first season in PL. He knew his strengths in the team and the team knew his strengths and we played a type of game that are using his strengths and it´s a team that has played together for a few years when you look at the core of the team.

This is why many players that have good records in lower leagues often struggle when they are moving to another team that plays in the PL.

That team dont know how to use these players and the players themself is not used to that teams way of playing.

I doubt that Rickie would have been a success if he was signed by a PL team when he was at Bristol Rovers, but because he was in a team that together got promoted up into the PL he was a big part of a team that knew how to play to their strengths together and therefore he could excel....

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1514741/newcastle-consider-cut-price-offer-liverpool-stewart-downing?cc=4716

liverpool looking to sell downing for 5mil. i know not many are fans of downing on here and his form since joining liverpool has not done him any favors. but at 5 million, he is worth a punt and CDAJFU if he is able to rediscover the form that led to his transfer to liverpool.

Interesting to read above that Damiao had scored just 29 goals in four season. That is not quite the full picture. according to Wiki in:

2010 he scored 7 goals in 25 Brasileiro Série A games. 12 in 35 in all competitions.

2011 he scored 14 goals in 28 Brasileiro Série A games. 38 in 51 in all comps.

2012 he scored 7 goals in 19 Brasileiro Série A games. 24 in 43 in all comps.

2013 he scored 1 goals in 2 Brasileiro Série A games. 9 in 20 in all comps.

Interesting to read above that Damiao had scored just 29 goals in four season. That is not quite the full picture. according to Wiki in:

2010 he scored 7 goals in 25 Brasileiro Série A games. 12 in 35 in all competitions.

2011 he scored 14 goals in 28 Brasileiro Série A games. 38 in 51 in all comps.

2012 he scored 7 goals in 19 Brasileiro Série A games. 24 in 43 in all comps.

2013 he scored 1 goals in 2 Brasileiro Série A games. 9 in 20 in all comps.

That goalscoring record suggests 20m plus would be a pretty large overpayment.

That goalscoring record suggests 20m plus would be a pretty large overpayment.

Word. I reckon we're having to pay extra cos he's Brazil International centre forward and cos of interest from big european clubs. NC is getting totally mugged off! If Damaio was Ugandan and had been scoring them goals in San Marino League, he'd be miles cheaper.

Word. I reckon we're having to pay extra cos he's Brazil International centre forward and cos of interest from big european clubs. NC is getting totally mugged off! If Damaio was Ugandan and had been scoring them goals in San Marino League, he'd be miles cheaper.

Maybe we can sell Guly using the same Jedi mind trick?