Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

That's a shame, he looked absolute quality, would have loved to see him with us. I wonder why he's going so cheap?

Fener signed the Nigerian Emenike yesterday and as they're by no means certain to continue in the CL this season they probably wanted to get their wage bill down a bit. Olympiakos have no money and will probably not take up the option anyway. The low price and loan availability just suggests to me that we weren't interested in the player.

Yep, he's a nutter.

Also, he's only scored 14 goals in 70 games for Werder Bremen . Great. Worth every penny of £13m...

Just out of interest, do we know how many assits he got ... also wonder how many goals Rickie would have over the same amount of games if you took away penalties and free kicks? #sorryifthisisabitblasphemous

I wanted Stoch was never anything from Fran.

The bid accepted in Spain was that of Osvaldo.

Cant see someone like Stoch fitting regularly into the forward tactics that we seem to want to play, obviously would be a very good option though.

I have seen a biy of Isgrove, and heard reports that he is looking good. Have you seen anything of him to suggest possible pedigree ?

What about Rondon from Rubin Kazan. Ticks ALL of our boxes, and Poch would know of him from his Malaga days. Goal scoring record good not amazing but quick, strong, young, european success, international quality.

Good price.

Not a bad shout - right age at 23

Others to add to the list of young strikers with potential we could take a look at are Luc Castaignos and John Guidetti

Dont think Defoe fits the description we want of a striker now. There is a reason we are looking at Osvaldo and Damiao and that is the combination of size, strength and movement...

So what else are out there to fit the description and might be on the market.......

Oscar Cardozo, Mirko Vucinic, Lacina Traore, Moussa Sow, Stefan Kiessling, Bafetimbi Gomis, Rodrigo, Morata (yeah yeah I know, I wish...), Marko Aurnatovic, Ibarbo....

Obviously a few of these are probably out of reach even though you can make a bit o a case for anyone of them regarding if they are aveilable or not...

I would love to get Cardozo in despite his age, Traore is the fantasy signing of course....

I'm not convinced that we were actually looking at Osvaldo - there's an interview with Pochettino where he says we have not made an offer for him and are not interested

Reading between the lines we seem to be looking for a striker between the ages of 20 and 25 - ideally 21-24 - with the perfect age being 23. Old enough to make a difference but young enough to get better

It also seems we want someone big enough, strong enough and fast enough to lead the line - with Rickie playing as a second striker.

Leandro Damiao seems to be the perfect fit for this role - hence our undoubted interest - but it looks to be a complete no goer

Personally I think Rodriguez has the ability to play this role - but can also play on the left or right of a front 3

Rondon from Rubin Kazan would fit the profile we seem to be after - and at 23 is the right age - and I think has said he wants to leave Rubin Kazan. He's also played in Spain for Malaga and and in the champions league which ticks more boxes.

Rodrigo Moreno Machado - the Spanish Brazilian who plays for Benfica and has a great scoring record for the Spanish U21 side and seems to be able to play across the front 3 - would be another worth considering - that's if Benfica would sell.

There are some good articles on strikers Villa should have looked at to replace Benteke if they sold him - which is the same type of striker as we should be looking at - here:

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/7/16/4526508/striking-prospects

http://www.7500toholte.com/2013/7/17/4531484/transfer-rumour-christian-benteke-finnbogason-castaignos-hosnier

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/astonvilla/id/877?cc=5901

Of that lot Alfred Finnbogason, Luc Castaignos, John Guidetti and Philipp Hosnier look to be the pick of the bunch

Gonzalo Bueno might also be worth taking another look at - he can also play across the front 3 and you never know he might help us get the best out of fellow Uruguayan Ramirez

Mattia Destro from Roma would be another worth taking a look at - although if we were going to sign a player from Roma rather than Osvaldo or Destro I'd love to see us sign Erik Lamela to play wide on the right or left of a front three

Add Antoine Griezmann from Real Sociedad to play on the left and Damiao to lead the line and with Lamela I think we'd have an awesome front 3 - we can all dream can't we!?!

Edited by Rebel

Is he any good on the deck? Or better suited to West Ham?

Think Peter Crouch at his very best but also with speed and it´s pretty close to the truth.

Better with his feets than you would think just by looking at him (due to his length of course)...

The market seems pretty tangled up right now, based on nothing but inclination I can't see Saints getting anything done until the last week of the window (unless they are holding something up their sleeves for tonight or tomorrow).

If we don't spend big on a striker it will be interesting to see who we do end up going for - I'm pretty sure we won't be going into the new season with just three senior strikers in the squad, one of which is 30+, one unproven and looks uncomfortable up top on his own, and another who appears guarantee to start deeper on the left (Rodriguez).

Not sure if anyone else caught it on the SaintsPlayer commentary but Adam Blackmore of BBC Solent Sport said that he has been told that 'two out of three' first choice targets have been secured transfer wise and that we should expect at least one, maybe more signings before the end of the window. The maybe signing was alluded to be an attacking midfielder, whilst we all know the priority signing is a striker.

No names suggested.

2 already done. We want a striker, that's our priority.

Striker obviously a priority. Attacking, creative midfielder would be a massive bonus. IMO we're a CB light too but that would only be added upon if a top notch CB became available, as the "cover" we have is fine. We were rumoured to be looking for a right back in the early summer too - I'm assuming Chambers has shown enough to show he can cope with the pressures of Premier League football. That, or Cork will be seeing some right back action.

Two more signings would be an ideal summer IMO - striker and creative midfielder.

If Shaw's injured for than a couple of weeks we're going to need a first choice left back too

Don't know about 2 weeks, but if the club is in a position where Fox has to start for 6 or more matches, it could mean trouble for us. He's that bad and opposing managers know it.

Cardiff smash their transfer record AGAIN this summer for a Chilean International midfielder nicknamed 'Pitbull' from Sevilla. £11million.

They may have missed out on a few players, but they've still managed to strengthen their spine. Mind you I've only seen Caulker play, the other two could be expensive flops...

Cardiff have shown a decent bit of ambition in this window, quite a tidy team they have there now. It's not been a case of throwing players at it either, just intelligent signings down the spine to enhance the quality.

I think Hull have made a couple of good additions for a team at their status as well.

If I were a Palace fan though, I would be absolutely bricking it. As it stands, they will do well to hit double figures. They look completely out of their depth.

Any murmurs from around the ground today about any impending business? I was there but didn't even hear a sniff of a rumour.

I wasn't there but a couple of people have said that the talk was that the club are 'in discussions with a striker' or at least 'in the hunt for a striker'. So nothing new there really.

I wasn't there but a couple of people have said that the talk was that the club are 'in discussions with a striker' or at least 'in the hunt for a striker'. So nothing new there really.

I think ''in the hunt'' is more of what was being banded around, which is kind of common knowledge anyway! Didn't hear any links to any bids or advanced talks. Just that we're still looking.

If we are still looking for a center back, Mamadou Sako has just announced he wants to leave PSG. Fits the young player with bags of potential, would be a brilliant signing. He is also a current French international. Apparently, Ac Milan and Liverpool are interested