Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

If we are still looking for a center back, Mamadou Sako has just announced he wants to leave PSG. Fits the young player with bags of potential, would be a brilliant signing. He is also a current French international. Apparently, Ac Milan and Liverpool are interested

Don't want to come across all Turkish, but there's no way he'd come here. He'll go to AC, he's a Champions League quality player.

If we are still looking for a center back, Mamadou Sako has just announced he wants to leave PSG. Fits the young player with bags of potential, would be a brilliant signing. He is also a current French international. Apparently, Ac Milan and Liverpool are interested

Was France u21's captain and is absolutely quality, I severally doubt we could pull that one off...

Now" the Committee" will come in for a lot of stick because " we haven't signed anyone else - YET

.......but players have the right to choose (ask Bale and Rooney) and No!.. I understand were not in for them, but if only half the "rumoured " contacts we've been linked with are true, then no-one can accuse us of not trying to get someone who CDAJFU......

It seems were not afraid to bid high..and presumably have the salary offer to back it up, but I think " some agents" are only looking to move their clients to a top six side and are discouraged from recommending us....but I think " the Wanyama saga " is proof that many of these so-called links are in someone's imagination, and are often far from reality.

HOWEVER; I will be more impressed if we sign a left sided defender PDQ........It's was nice to think that Luke Shaw was going to have a great season, but that may not be the case now, and ....if he does have / gets a serious injury, then we are back to picking Fox :scared:

and about that extra striker.....if the £20 million South-American isn't interested then move on .......who's next on the wish list?

I'm not disatisfied with any of our present strikers, providing they can stay fit .....and score some goals, but if not ...do we bring in Ryan Seager, or?

Think Riise wants to go back to Norway, but giving him a 6 month contract until January would mean he's match fit in time for the start of their season. Would be a good deal for all concerned!

Saw a report in the press yesterday that Werder Bremen were interested in him.

That's the sort of purchase Harry Redknapp would be looking at. I like to think we've moved on a bit since then.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Nothing against Riise - I have no idea how good he really is defensively - but it doesn't feel like a progressive signing. Mind you, he's better than Fox presumably and perhaps this kind of signing is what we need, especially for this position, so perhaps I am wrong.

If we don't get a replacement for Shaw and Luke is out for a while then it will cost us games.

It will.fox is ok for the odd game. But for a run of games. No way

We have a real chance to get a good start and this could blow that

I am really shocked that the club hasn't got more players in this summer...we all know that it is a squad game and you need options...

Shaw is only 18 and is already injured...his body is fragile and he was always going to play 25-30 games tops...Fox has shown he is not an adequate replacement at this level and should of been sold...we could of easily got a left back who would fight for a place in the first team...Olsson from Norwich is a prime example, who will fight with Garrido...again squad game.

Now Clyne has missed most of pre-season and we are using a 18 year old rookie in Chambers...wow massive call, this could backfire big time...Fox and Chambers to start at full back if he doesn't decide to use Cork at right back instead...who would be out of position...

We then have Yoshida flying to Japan with Gaston...so will probably be left of a back four of

Chambers Lovren Hoiveld Fox

Wow that is scary...and not in a good way...and this is the first game of the season for christ sake!!

We need another centre back big time...Hoiveld and Fonte are a liability...full back cover and a striker...

Something tells me it's not gonna happen...this should of been sorted a month ago...SORT IT OUT CORTESE

A blast from the past...

Reports coming out of France claim Crystal Palace are chasing former Bordeaux left-back Florian Marange, who is available on a free transfer, and Rennes centre-back Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik

Double double-barrelled! For a player that posh I guess the committee just need to ask his butler.

Kana biyik is class, has a very good reputation in France. Defenders in the French league are very under rated and we could do worse than take another center back from there. I agree that Hoiveld is a liability, how many own goals and mistake that lead to goals was he accountable for? Too many. If Mo doesn't rate fonte as much as Hoiveld then he doesn't have a future here.

If we bring in another top center back, then the defense to me is sorted.

Fox is an adequate replacement for Shaw, yes he is not perfect but not many defenders are prepared to play second fiddle. As for chambers, not many people predicted Shaw to become first choice last season.

If we are not prepared to give him a chance, then our policy of giving youth a chance goes down the drain.

Kana biyik is class, has a very good reputation in France. Defenders in the French league are very under rated and we could do worse than take another center back from there. I agree that Hoiveld is a liability, how many own goals and mistake that lead to goals was he accountable for? Too many. If Mo doesn't rate fonte as much as Hoiveld then he doesn't have a future here.

If we bring in another top center back, then the defense to me is sorted.

Fox is an adequate replacement for Shaw, yes he is not perfect but not many defenders are prepared to play second fiddle. As for chambers, not many people predicted Shaw to become first choice last season.

If we are not prepared to give him a chance, then our policy of giving youth a chance goes down the drain.

Fonte or Hooiveld having to play a few games concerns me far less than the idea of Fox playing. Get's caught out of position much too easily especially for a LB that doesn't get forward all that often and lacks the pace to recover. At this level you can't have LB/RBs like that as such mistakes are punished far more regularly.

I am amazed at how many people think Fox is "perfectly good enough" at left back. His positional sense is non-existant, I thought he was our weak link in the Championship, and is nowhere near PL quality.

Fair enough it's a game of opinions, but mine is that if we have to start with Fox for a number of games we will be conceding plenty of goals.

What does having an opinion on a player have to do with support? I always give plenty of vocal support and certainly don't join in with any booing at matches, I hate any negativity like that.

I just simply don't think Fox is good enough to play in the PL, and given Shaw's poor record with injuries, we could be relying on him quite a lot this season, which worries me.

I am not a Fox-hater but the tackle against West Brom where he was sent off was virtually recreated against Real Sociedad on Saturday which made me think he has not learnt anything at all. Pochettino has a selection headache ahead of Saturday.

What does having an opinion on a player have to do with support? I always give plenty of vocal support and certainly don't join in with any booing at matches, I hate any negativity like that.

I just simply don't think Fox is good enough to play in the PL, and given Shaw's poor record with injuries, we could be relying on him quite a lot this season, which worries me.

Exactly- an utterly bizarre post. Support has nothing to do with whether a player is good or not good enough.

Brilliant Adrian...let's just be glad we have 11 players out there shall we?? isn't it lovely to be in the Prem...little old Saints...wow more Dell mentality

Personally i don't think any of your points are viable...Shaw is barely 18 and cannot be relied upon for a full season, so i don't think it's too much to ask for an able deputy...particualry when the Prem gives the club about £80 million and the club want me to pay £42 a ticket...sorry doesn't wash

Sport is entertainment...like the theatre...i don't pay top whack to watch rubbish actors...accordingly i don't pay £42 a ticket to watch Danny Fox play left back in the best league in the world for my club...

Expect better...that's how this club will progress

Brilliant Adrian...let's just be glad we have 11 players out there shall we?? isn't it lovely to be in the Prem...little old Saints...wow more Dell mentality

Personally i don't think any of your points are viable...Shaw is barely 18 and cannot be relied upon for a full season, so i don't think it's too much to ask for an able deputy...particualry when the Prem gives the club about £80 million and the club want me to pay £42 a ticket...sorry doesn't wash

Sport is entertainment...like the theatre...i don't pay top whack to watch rubbish actors...accordingly i don't pay £42 a ticket to watch Danny Fox play left back in the best league in the world for my club...

Expect better...that's how this club will progress

Perfectly put. Fox is not good enough. We need a decent LB regardless of Shaws fitness or not. If the "back-up" (or other option is how it should be looked at) is Fox then the boy Shaw will not progress as he will with a player good enough to challenge him and actually better than him. That way you find out how good he really is and will be.

So ideally a LB, A Striker and a CB. Get them and were are seriously top 8 contenders.

Because it's gone well beyond people saying 'Fox isn't really good enough', it's constant over the top criticism and people suggesting we'll lose whenever he plays, which clearly hasn't been true. He didn't even belt it in his own goal like Jos last season, but he gets far more support. Jos improved a bit which some people noted, but so did Fox when he had to fill in again.

I didn't say that at all. I said he will cost us games which IMO he will.

Isn't that just football? You lose an important player, you're less likely to win games? Signing expensive cover for every business is nice in theory, but unrealistic and financially idiotic.

Fox is perfectly good as back-up, he just happens to be pantomime villain on here. I'm sure he'll remain a scapegoat but there are 10 other players out there who need to do their job. It's hugely unlikely to be a case of 10 good performances and Fox messing it all up. It's never been that in the past, his mistakes have been alongside plenty of other players playing poorly.

I tend to back the underdog a lot on here as my defence of Jos all last season proves, but even I struggle with Fox. He had a decent game at Swansea, especially considering he hadn't had a run of games in the side, but by and large he causes us problems. He doesn't get tight, ever, drops far too deep to cover for his lack of pace, and doesn't work hard enough going forward or tracking back. He has enough ability on the ball to play at this level, but this is the top flight. More is expected. Are people forgetting the impact Cork and Shaw had on our solidity and results last season? Losing Shaw is a massive blow. Massive.

Because it's gone well beyond people saying 'Fox isn't really good enough', it's constant over the top criticism and people suggesting we'll lose whenever he plays, which clearly hasn't been true. He didn't even belt it in his own goal like Jos last season, but he gets far more support. Jos improved a bit which some people noted, but so did Fox when he had to fill in again.

Have to agree with everything you've been posting. Why is it we always have to have a scapegoat (or two). Fox and Guly are nothing like as bad as some people make out.

Totally agree - Fox isn't anywhere near the player Shaw is, but it's ludicrous to expect that he should be. If Shaw's injury is going to keep him out for a couple of months, then by all means bring in a replacement, but to expect the club to shell out several million just to keep Fox out of the team for a fortnight or so is idiotic.

(Also no one bothers to mention that Fox is probably the best striker of a corner/indirect free kick we have, so we might actually score a couple more with him in the team to off-set the ones we'll apparently inevitably concede).

I don't enjoy slating our own players, but he's not good enough for this level. Any winger with enough movement and pace will tear him a new one, as we saw countless times last season. His positioning is awful, although I do have to say he's improved on his attacking play. He's a good Championship left-back, but Premier League? No.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that Fox may actually improve as a player under the guidance of MP and the new coaching staff, especially with a pre season under his belt. Yes - he wasn't good enough last season but it doesnt mean he's at the peak of his ability. Once he sorts his positioning out he'd be a very good left back.
Do you actually think that is likely?

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that Fox may actually improve as a player under the guidance of MP and the new coaching staff, especially with a pre season under his belt. Yes - he wasn't good enough last season but it doesnt mean he's at the peak of his ability. Once he sorts his positioning out he'd be a very good left back.

Positioning, timing, closing down, covering the back post, ability to press forwards..... if he improves all of this then I agree, he would be a good left back.

Positioning, timing, closing down, covering the back post, ability to press forwards..... if he improves all of this then I agree, he would be a good left back.

As he hasn't managed it by the age of 27, I wouldn't get your hopes up. He is a good Championship level left back and is out of his depth in the Premier League.

Had all summer to address this, but here we are.

Incredible, that five days before the start of the season and we are talking of a back four permutation involving Hooiveld, Fonte (although I rate him as a cut above the others mentioned here) and Fox. Worryingly, I don't rate Yoshida as much better either.

An injury to an 18 year old with less than 30 league games to his name, and its panic stations.

Had all summer to address this, but here we are.

Incredible, that five days before the start of the season and we are talking of a back four permutation involving Hooiveld, Fonte (although I rate him as a cut above the others mentioned here) and Fox. Worryingly, I don't rate Yoshida as much better either.

An injury to an 18 year old with less than 30 league games to his name, and its panic stations.

Who's panicking?!