Sunderland vs Saints build up

Glasgow_Saint

Was going to be sensible and follow this from home, but nerves got the better of me. Ticket/train booked. Will be there.

Good man, let's hope a few hundred others follow suit.

Do we have any way of knowing how many have been sold so far? Dying for a sellout crowd and good atmosphere

We won't sell out, not even close, it's the whole of the top tier which holds 3000.

We'll probably take 2000.

We won't sell out, not even close, it's the whole of the top tier which holds 3000.

We'll probably take 2000.

That'll do I suppose. Hope we can keep the ball and calm that crowd down - they were dire for most of the first half but deafening when they got riled up

Sunderland's about half the distance for me but takes pretty much the same time because I've got to make two changes. Chances I'll miss one and end up cheering on from Gateshead about 3/1

Hardly winner takes all, Saints have it completely in their hands even if they lose. Yeah, not ideal and would be a poor run of form, but still likely to survive unless they completely bottle it and results go against us. Either way, it's hardly been a great set of results for MP, masked by beating some top sides. Has to cut out the WBA and QPR sort of performances, there's no excuses when they've proven they can do it against the best teams.

Draw at Sunderland would be brilliant. Have a feeling it's first goal wins though, need to minimise their support. They go 1-0 up and they're nearly safe and from their point of view, have the chance to stay up at Newcastle's expense. Can definitely see Newcastle losing their final 2 games though, which would have us safe, but a woeful end to our season.

Still be happy to see Wigan survive over Newcastle though.

It's amazing at the moment how many Football fans want to see this scenario. The Geordies were always kind of meh and up their own history, but this past 18 months they seem to have upset a lot of fans of other clubs.

Most the guys down the pub for Quiz night last night were hoping for the good-bye Toon scenario.

Hardly winner takes all, Saints have it completely in their hands even if they lose. Yeah, not ideal and would be a poor run of form, but still likely to survive unless they completely bottle it and results go against us. Either way, it's hardly been a great set of results for MP, masked by beating some top sides. Has to cut out the WBA and QPR sort of performances, there's no excuses when they've proven they can do it against the best teams.

Draw at Sunderland would be brilliant. Have a feeling it's first goal wins though, need to minimise their support. They go 1-0 up and they're nearly safe and from their point of view, have the chance to stay up at Newcastle's expense. Can definitely see Newcastle losing their final 2 games though, which would have us safe, but a woeful end to our season.

Still be happy to see Wigan survive over Newcastle though.

If Newcastle go down that will mean the three relegated sides all have ex Saints managers. Bizarre.

I reckon di Canio sounds bloody confident. And I reckon he can motivate. I am nervous.

He called Villa their "champions league final" and they lost 6-1, he looked for a reaction against a dire Stoke and they only mustered a draw so he can't be that great.

I'm nervous, but only because we may not play as we can. If we do we will have too much for them regardless of what Di Canio says to them.

He called Villa their "champions league final" and they lost 6-1, he looked for a reaction against a dire Stoke and they only mustered a draw so he can't be that great.

I'm nervous, but only because we may not play as we can. If we do we will have too much for them regardless of what Di Canio says to them.

No no no.

Don't you get it. Every other team still in the scrap is amazing. And Saints are awful.

Duhhhhhhhhhhh.

Who said we were awful ?

I just think the other teams have bigger balls and hearts than us for this sort of scrap.

The way you (and numerous others that have resurfaced after a period of hibernation when we were unbeaten for 6 games - funny that?) go on, would suggest quite the converse.

Who said we were awful ?

I just think the other teams have bigger balls and hearts than us for this sort of scrap.

It's pretty clear that although Sunderland aren't very good and 'down to the bare bones' as some might say, what they do have is plenty of fight and guts. Something that served us so well in the 90s. Still I'm sure people will write them off as a terrible team and a guaranteed three points Saturday.

It's pretty clear that although Sunderland aren't very good and 'down to the bare bones' as some might say, what they do have is plenty of fight and guts. Something that served us so well in the 90s. Still I'm sure people will write them off as a terrible team and a guaranteed three points Saturday.

Out of interest, where was this fight and guts or balls and hearts last Monday?

Out of interest, where was this fight and guts or balls and hearts last Monday?

To be fair

Last night, after a thrashing last week, 1 goal down. 1 man down. They fought for an unlikely point and were the better side out of two poor sides

To be fair

Last night, after a thrashing last week, 1 goal down. 1 man down. They fought for an unlikely point and were the better side out of two poor sides

So teams can improve their performance levels a week later?

Oh, I thought this was an absolute impossibility. According to others on here, it is at least.

My head hurts, I'm ever so confused.

So teams can improve their performance levels a week later?

Oh, I thought this was an absolute impossibility. According to others on here, it is at least.

My head hurts, I'm ever so confused.

We lost 6-1 at Arsenal then beat Villa 4-1 the following week. Would you say our perormaces levels in those two games were exactly the same or different?

You didn't watch the game last night then?

I listened on the radio.

But that's the point. Just because we were poor against WBA, doesn't mean we will against Sunderland & Stoke. I thought we fought pretty hard on Sat, and but for one moment of class in the 86th minute, would have had a draw, 40 points and be that bit closer to safety.

We lost 6-1 at Arsenal then beat Villa 4-1 the following week. Would you say our perormaces levels in those two games were exactly the same or different?

Also, that is probably a more 'magical' change in form than going from a pretty harsh defeat at Spurs, to getting a result at Sunderland/Stoke. Especially given the form prior to that Arsenal game.

Also, that is probably a more 'magical' change in form than going from a pretty harsh defeat at Spurs, to getting a result at Sunderland/Stoke. Especially given the form prior to that Arsenal game.

It's not just that one defeat though is it, 1 goals in 4 games and no wins. No it's not a magical about turn of form, but we aren't in a good run of it at the moment.

That you're completely spineless

Alpine, just F off and let people that actually want to discuss the game rationally talk on here. Your drivel means questions like:

"are there any tickets left" are going unanswered and lets face it you're not going to be at the game are you? you'll just be spouting sh*t on here*

* this is of course unless we're winning, as we all know we won't hear from you then.

On the topic of things that are useful, are there any tickets left and does anyone want to give me a lift from London? :)

It's not just that one defeat though is it, 1 goals in 4 games and no wins. No it's not a magical about turn of form, but we aren't in a good run of it at the moment.

1 goal in the next two games may well see us pick up 4 points. I'm not saying we are in great form. But other than the blip against WBA (which was awful), we aren't that awful either. We certainly wern't bad against Spurs.

As you have shown quite clearly above, form can change week-to-week. Yes, Saints have to turn up and play at Sunderland and Stoke, no doubt about it. But that is perfectly possible.

2 0-0's will do us, and me fine thanks.

there you go with that arrogance again.

Do you actually understand what arrogance is?

It's my opinion, and one that really isn't all that far fetched.

Beating Villa 4-1, after trailing 0-1 at HT, off the back of a 6-1 defeat at Arsenal, 2-3 (and pretty gutting) defeat to UTD, a 0-2 defeat to Wigan prior to that is more magical than getting results (which may include draws) to Sunderland & Stoke after a tight loss away to Spurs and, granted, a poor showing against WBA.

1 goal in the next two games may well see us pick up 4 points. I'm not saying we are in great form. But other than the blip against WBA (which was awful), we aren't that awful either. We certainly wern't bad against Spurs.

As you have shown quite clearly above, form can change week-to-week. Yes, Saints have to turn up and play at Sunderland and Stoke, no doubt about it. But that is perfectly possible.

2 0-0's will do us, and me fine thanks.

Do you honestly believe our defence is capable of keeping consecutive clean sheets? We haven't managed it all season, you think its going to happen now?

Do you honestly believe our defence is capable of keeping consecutive clean sheets? We haven't managed it all season, you think its going to happen now?

Of course it is, this magical form change is just around the corner...

Cant score

Cant keep a clean sheet.

And we are going to somehow get more points :facepalm:

Cant score

Cant keep a clean sheet.

Yeah Wigan will get 5 from Swansea, Arsenal & Villa.

Saints will get none from Sunderland & Stoke, whilst also being out scored by Norwich & Newcastle.

I never used the 'magical form' change alpine, that was your line.

And as your buddy pointed out just above, Saints have already put in more 'magical' changes in form.

We have enough to beat Sunderland, they dont worry me too much. If Shaw and Clyne play it should be enough to keep Rose and Johnson quiet, Graham doesnt look like doing anything anytime soon (which means he will probably score) my only worry is that Lambert doesnt look like scoring anytime soon either.

I reckon we will nick it, a point will do for me though.

Personally, I just want next season to hurry up so we can get some decent depth in the squad

Just booked my ticket for the game - are the away fans still behind the goal to the right of the dugouts? I think I saw the Stoke fans tucked away in the Gods ala Newcastle last night so I assume location of fans may be dependent on how many tickets are sold?
No, it was one of Martin O'Neills decisions pre-season to move the away fans from directly behind the goal to up in the upper tier. He was also responsible for moving the away fans from behind the goal at Villa.

No, it was one of Martin O'Neills decisions pre-season to move the away fans from directly behind the goal to up in the upper tier. He was also responsible for moving the away fans from behind the goal at Villa.

Does anyone have a spare space in a car going up?

Cant score

Cant keep a clean sheet.

I suspect you were saying the same thing when we went 3 without a win (including 2 defeats) at the end of February & beginning of March. After that, we "magically turned our form around" and "somehow got more points", by winning 3 games in a row and going on an unbeaten run of 6 games. But no, it is impossible that we are going to get anything from our next 2 games, of course it is.

Think we'll get a draw here, Sunderland may not play appealing looking football but they will fight and make the game scrappy which is something we need to show we can deal with more effectively. Problem is who do we play as the three behind Lambert? Davis/Rodriguez & ???

Think we'll get a draw here, Sunderland may not play appealing looking football but they will fight and make the game scrappy which is something we need to show we can deal with more effectively. Problem is who do we play as the three behind Lambert? Davis/Rodriguez & ???

Lallana. Had a decent game vs Spurs and is the best option we have.