Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

As I have seen very little of Osvaldo I can't really answer that - just looking at whole package - number of clubs each has had, incidents, wages. Its not just Bony though I think we could of gone for other targets as well.

TBH I made a bit of a cock up with Osvaldo and the not wanting to come here as along with that twitter I thought it was him that made the ambitious club statement but checked again and that was Damiao.

Fair enough, and I think that's the point, we don't know.

I'm not going to criticise the club for setting our sights too high though, even if we fail, within reason.

We are not a big enough club for this kind of player unfortunately , that said a player will go anywhere if the money's right as most said Ramirez wouldn't come. More money doesn't always equal a better player may be better of looking at cheaper alternatives

Has their take over happened yet? Might inject some funds I'd imagine?

Wont do until new year. It´s why they want to put up some sort of loan deal now with buying him next summer, but also with some sort of CL clause if I understand it correct...

Well if that's the case then lets move on quickly. This seems to have dragged on enough and would tie in with what people have said about a Wednesday deadline. Would have dearly loved to have seen him here but there are plenty more options out there. Just hope the club have other irons to stoke up.

Don't think it's a money issue. If Osvaldo comes here, then his chances of playing for Italy in the World Cup next summer will decrease greatly IMO. If it wasn't a World Cup year, then I suspect we'd have already signed him.

Roma won't sell him to Inter, a) because they don't have the money and b) because Roma do not want to reinforce a direct rival.

Don't think it's a money issue. If Osvaldo comes here, then his chances of playing for Italy in the World Cup next summer will decrease greatly IMO. If it wasn't a World Cup year, then I suspect we'd have already signed him.

Roma won't sell him to Inter, a) because they don't have the money and b) because Roma do not want to reinforce a direct rival.

i disagree. Playing for Saints would not hinder his opportunities. He would be automatic choice and play near on every game. Remember the Premier League is the most popular league in the world and would be up against the best players. Fail to see how that would hinder him.

i disagree. Playing for Saints would not hinder his opportunities. He would be automatic choice and play near on every game. Remember the Premier League is the most popular league in the world and would be up against the best players. Fail to see how that would hinder him.

Could he not play in a higher standard team? If yes we will have to pay more for a possible hindrance on his career.

Can't see Benfica affording him. That article seems like a hashing together of various snippets from twitter from the last couple of days.

Even if they could I can't see him wanting to play in the Portugese league. He wants to catch the eye of the national manager and Roma want him out of the country so that means he'd only look at Spain, England or possibly Germany IMO.

We must be in with a good shout at the moment.

Didn't Ramirez claim (honestly) that he'd joined us because of the money we were offering him? If so, one would think Cortese would lull Osvaldo in using this same tactic. Money talks. Even if he doesn't particularly want to be here, I think Osvaldo would soon come round to the idea once he sees what we're building here...

Even if they could I can't see him wanting to play in the Portugese league. He wants to catch the eye of the national manager and Roma want him out of the country so that means he'd only look at Spain, England or possibly Germany IMO.

We must be in with a good shout at the moment.

Champions League, medals and a larger club?

@GraemeBailey: Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Roma met with Tottenham's Franco Baldini in London on Wednesday to discuss Pablo Osvaldo and Erik Lamela.

@GraemeBailey: We do understand Southampton are very much in the mix for Osvaldo - but ex-Roma man Baldini knows him well and could well do a deal.

I have a clue and I have been saying it all along if people have listened, he will come that there is no doubt but we will have to pay an awful lot more than more fashionable clubs, Rome/Roma or Southampton? That will be the story for all players of repute.

I must have missed this.

:yawn: