Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

For me, this is the player that it would be worth to overpay a bit....

Perfect striker for our system and he knows the system and has thrived under it before....

Agree. Plus Poch has managed him before so I'm not too bothered about his antics at Roma that have been reported.

Players like Osvaldo & Banega are players that can take you up a level.

Right, according to Di Marzio (leading journalist in Italy)

we already have an €18m + €2m agreement with Roma for the player

dimarzio: @tarakammous al giocatore. 3 mil al giocatore. Col club c'è già accordo a 18 più 2

dimarzio: @ tarakammous to the player. 3 mil to the player. There is already agreement with the club to 18 plus 2

So you dont think a Lambert with great speed would suit our needs?

Where did I say we didn't? Just that I watched Bony a lot and for 12m would of been exactly what we were looking for.

The guy has turned down us down and Wolfsburg? has a record of incidents....we had and still have better options than gambling on someone who doesnt want to come here.

Dan - do you think this transfer will happen?

dimarzio: @tarakammous al giocatore. 3 mil al giocatore. Col club c'è già accordo a 18 più 2

dimarzio: @ tarakammous to the player. 3 mil to the player. There is already agreement with the club to 18 plus 2

Where did I say we didn't? Just that I watched Bony a lot and for 12m would of been exactly what we were looking for.

The guy has turned down us down and Wolfsburg? has a record of incidents....we had and still have better options than gambling on someone who doesnt want to come here.

I read your last sentence to quick about a different striker to what we have.

But Bony and Vydra are gone and probably not identified as targets by our management.

Out of curiousity, could you name any of those better options now?

reluctantnicko: @danbsfc Find it all a bit hard to believe.

danbsfc: @reluctantnicko So do the majority of Saints fans! Similar to Ramirez last summer, will be a huge deal if the Don can pull it off.

danbsfc: @reluctantnicko Same journo also saying Saints have an agreement of €18m + €2m in add ons with Roma. Huge fee.

reluctantnicko: @danbsfc Sometimes the wild goose is actually caught ...

reluctantnicko: @danbsfc Good players keep their value.

Minarzouki: @Sachk0 Pochettino is all Southampton need to push for a top 8 place imo

Whatever that last tweet means, i don't know?

shes a big fan of pochettino - Mina Rzouki ‏@Minarzouki 22 May

If Pellegrini leaves Spain, as we expect, than La Liga has lost 3 of its best Coaches this yr: Pochettino, Pellegrini & Montanier

would also love osvaldo to sign, excellent player who already knows the coach and his tactics. i also dont think he will need much of a "settling in" period due to the fact hes already worked with Mp before. much rather spend 18m on him than the 26m quoted for damiao (hes worth no way near that imo)

I read your last sentence to quick about a different striker to what we have.

But Bony and Vydra are gone and probably not identified as targets by our management.

Out of curiousity, could you name any of those better options now?

Defoe would be one - proven Premiership goalscorer - English so adds to that requirement, something different to what we have.

I don't think Cortese will let this drag until the end of the window, in case it fails, then he's up the creek without an alternative.

By the sound of it, he's offered good money to the lad. Now, I reckon it's a take it now or leave it job. Playing for Italy tonight, so no deal today, but an answer tomorrow.

If those figures are correct I cant see many other clubs coming in for that kind of fee and Roma will keep pushing him to accept our offer.

And that he has turned us down before isn´t an issue IMO. It could be strategics from him to negotiate and get a better salary, I have done the same in the past with employers...

to me, this de rossi quote sounds like he's more likely off somewhere rather than staying with roma...

De Rossi said he was unsure whether Roma team-mate Pablo Osvaldo - who has been linked with moves to Fulham and Southampton - would stay with the club.

"I don't know if I'm optimistic or not on the Osvaldo situation," he said.

"I'm his friend and I'm optimistic when I know he's happy, so if he's happy staying at Roma I'll be happy for him, but I'll be happy for him even if he prefers going to another team.

"Roma would surely lose a very strong player without him and we would lose a great guy, a team-mate, a friend.

"Anyway it's not my or your business, it's up to them to make this decision, I wouldn't like anyone to express their opinion on my future decisions so I don't do it for anyone. I really don't know what will happen."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2013/08/14/4185307/de-rossi-saddened-by-messi-absence

I can see why Roma wouldn't take that. A Loan which only becomes permanent if they qualify for the CL (unlikely, as there are only 3 places available and five teams with better squads, including Roma themselves)

Looks like our offer is just smoking out other clubs and no doubt his agent is peddling him everywhere

Looks that way doesn't it. But who else has had an offer accepted? All very well expressing interest.

This is feeling more and more like the Ramirez and Wanyama transfers.

Might. Start. To believe.

@tancredipalmeri: Benfica have contacted Roma for Southampton's target Osvaldo, according to Sky Italy. Likely the deal would be linked to Cardozo exit

Damn...I was just dusting off that old 70s Peter Osgood chant...

"Oh, Oh, Oh, Os...sie, OS...ssie,

I'd walk a million miles for one of your goals,

Oh, Os...sie!"

Why are we continuing with this madness....he doesn't want to come here. There are better and more reachable targets...we should of gone for Bony, Vydra or even Defoe a different type of striker to what we have.

You've spoken to him about it have you?

Very likely he wants to see if there are better offers..which there are of course many, mainly those in the CL...BUT it does not mean he WILL NOT come here. Whoever ends up signing for us even if they wanted better is fine by me...they only ruin their career if they do not perform especially in WC year.

I don't understand why people go on about Bony. Why would we have been able to get him instead of Swansea? They've just won a cup, have a world famous manager, European football etc. To get better players at this stage we probably need to go after players Swansea can't afford.

Why would Osvaldo come here? I go on about him because he IMo is exactly what we need. I watched him ..have you?

How can we go after players Swansea can't afford...Bony was £12m...Osvaldo cost about £18m?

Update on a situation that we have followed in detail in recent days. The Southampton is making important steps to Osvaldo. It's a continuous pressure from the English club. The coach of Southampton Mauricio Pochettino Osvaldo put at the top of my wishlist. Pochettino knows the attacker since the time ofEspanyol. The club's optimism grows also because it would not be a problem to find an agreement with the person concerned and with Rome. The last word is, of course, the giallorosso club.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alfredopedulla.com%2Farticoli%2F27095-esclusiva-osvaldo-il-southampton-in-pressing

You've spoken to him about it have you?

Very likely he wants to see if there are better offers..which there are of course many, mainly those in the CL...BUT it does not mean he WILL NOT come here. Whoever ends up signing for us even if they wanted better is fine by me...they only ruin their career if they do not perform especially in WC year.

Yeah he phoned me a couple of minutes ago.....

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2h

Southampton have raised the bid re Osvaldo's wages, according to Sky Italy. So far the deal hasn't go through cause Osvaldo turned them down

that says to me he doesnt want to come here....if you know different then fine.

Southampton have raised the bid re Osvaldo's wages, according to Sky Italy. So far the deal hasn't go through cause Osvaldo turned them down

You've taken a leap there, turning down a wage offer doesn't mean he wouldn't want to come here.

So if you were offered a job that might interest you, would you take it for any type of wages even if you think you could get mote/you think you deserve more?

So you're saying that he wants to come here but is unhappy with the wage offer?

No, I'm saying it is a strange logic Give it to Ron is using. I have no idea what Osvaldo has or hasn't done. But turning down a wage offer, does not mean a player by default wouldn't be interested in a move, merely he isn't happy with that particular offer. It is a negotiation process.

Have you considered Saints might have more money than Swansea?

Of course ...and all the other factors, better manager, won something , in Europe but the point you are missing and I am badly trying to make is that we missed IMO a better target - far cheaper and with a better offer than Swansea miore attainable - thats based on me watching Bony.

Do you really mean better, or do you mean more achievable?

As I have seen very little of Osvaldo I can't really answer that - just looking at whole package - number of clubs each has had, incidents, wages. Its not just Bony though I think we could of gone for other targets as well.

TBH I made a bit of a cock up with Osvaldo and the not wanting to come here as along with that twitter I thought it was him that made the ambitious club statement but checked again and that was Damiao.