Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

Should he be given the No.17 shirt IF he does sign, it may indicate Saints are not finished in the window perhaps - leaving 11 free for a winger?

Osvaldo will play as a wide forward. In a 4-2-3-1 he will probably be playing in the wide berths that Punch/Lallana filled last season. I'm not sure where he'd fit I a 4-4-1-1 (guess up front, but assume he could fill a wide berth if needed).

Essentially, I feel he is the wide player you want us to sign. He will get the 11 shirt. If we sign Osvaldo, and if we then were to sign another player (which I doubt), they would probably be backup at left back or perhaps to cover Artur, not a winger IMO.

Indeed Joensuu, Saints may indeed go retro and give the No.11 shirt to a prospective left back (think Benali many moons ago) or a centre half (Svensson) :)

I think they are still short in those areas, especially if Fox leaves.

As for Osvaldo, wait and see still whether he will come :)

Osvaldo will play in the striker position, no question about that IMO.

Rickie will drop down in the hole. We all know Rickie loves to drop down or drift wide and with Osvaldo in the team we will have a player in the box at those times which we can benefit big from. Now when Rickie drifts wide there is often nobody in the box, and we´re missing that in our game at the moment.

Jay Rod may move wide, or miss out I guess

I would lay money on it being SRL missing out. JRod gives us mobility up front and I reckon that is more central to Mopo's game plan than the qualities SRL brings (sadly).

With Osvaldo in we would have 4 attacking spots and options consisting of

Lallana

Ramirez

Rodriguez

Davis

JWP

Puncheon

Lambert

Guly

to compete for them, obviously Lambert, Osvaldo and Rodriguez will be the players that will compete for the CF spot, but it appears there will be good competition and a variety of options for MP regarding the 3 AM slots.

Osvaldo will play in the striker position, no question about that IMO.

Rickie will drop down in the hole. We all know Rickie loves to drop down or drift wide and with Osvaldo in the team we will have a player in the box at those times which we can benefit big from. Now when Rickie drifts wide there is often nobody in the box, and we´re missing that in our game at the moment.

Surely the secret is not to be that clear. The harder it is for he opposition to work it out, the more effective it will be. I can see the front constantly switching and moving to confuse and create opportunities.

Surely the secret is not to be that clear. The harder it is for he opposition to work it out, the more effective it will be. I can see the front constantly switching and moving to confuse and create opportunities.

Guly, JayRod, Lambert and Lallana did this to perfection against Real Sociedad in pre-season - its team really struggled to keep tabs on the four of them.

At the end of last season when J-Rod was playing as the left of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation, as soon as Rickie pulled out to the left J-Rod would move to take up the role in the centre. Probably why Merson thinks we play 4-4-2!

Earlier in the thread there was a link to a report saying that Osvaldo prefers the same role as J-Rod plays above.

Guly, JayRod, Lambert and Lallana did this to perfection against Real Sociedad in pre-season - its team really struggled to keep tabs on the four of them.

Exactly, each of the 4 played in each position at some point during that half. I would expect the same a lot this season, especially at home. It confuses defenders, they don't know who to mark, and runs are unpredictable. We will create enty of chances playing this way, and IF Osvaldo signs, he will be integral to this.

VERY exciting

Rough translation from Roman News 18/8/2013:

PRESS RELEASE- On the future of Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, there will be a verdict in the next few hours. As reported the player did not travel with the Roma team because a negotiations are in hand although the official reason given was that Osvaldo was suffering a muscle fatigue after playing for the Italian national team. Roma are encouraging the player to accept the transfer to Southampton. Coach Pochettino has spent several days trying to persuade him. The last phone call was yesterday. Osvaldo did not reject the possibility, asking a few hour's to consider and a signing-on bonus. It is taking him time to come to terms with leaving Italy and he continues to hope for a revival of interest by another club: this footballer's strategy. There are two reasons, that he has two daughters who live in Florence and he wants to retain his place in the Italy team with the World Cup approaching. Osvaldo awaits signals of other interest, if not from Italy, at least from Spain. Atletico Madrid would be a welcome destination is interested but they will not offer the sum required by Roma.

ENDS

In summary this is only what we already know - Roma want to sell to Southampton as they have made the highest offer. The player doesn't want to come but may not have any other options so we could be taking on a reluctant recruit. If he signs, Cue: I badly want to play in the Premier League and Southampton have always been my first love..... If he doesn't sign - no great surprise, but not long to find another player of his calibre.

I don't think its as much a done deal as we think, but we are certainly in pole position it would seem.

Also harsh to say he doesn't want to come. He just wants to see what is on offer. If he really doesnt want to come to us he won't. He doesnt seem like the type of peraon who would be pushed around.

Edited by Saint Charlie

PRESS RELEASE- On the future of Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, there will be a verdict in the next few hours. As reported the player did not travel with the Roma team because a negotiations are in hand although the official reason given was that Osvaldo was suffering a muscle fatigue after playing for the Italian national team. Roma are encouraging the player to accept the transfer to Southampton. Coach Pochettino has spent several days trying to persuade him. The last phone call was yesterday. Osvaldo did not reject the possibility, asking a few hour's to consider and a signing-on bonus. It is taking him time to come to terms with leaving Italy and he continues to hope for a revival of interest by another club: this footballer's strategy. There are two reasons, that he has two daughters who live in Florence and he wants to retain his place in the Italy team with the World Cup approaching. Osvaldo awaits signals of other interest, if not from Italy, at least from Spain. Atletico Madrid would be a welcome destination is interested but they will not offer the sum required by Roma.

ENDS

In summary this is only what we already know - Roma want to sell to Southampton as they have made the highest offer. The player doesn't want to come but may not have any other options so we could be taking on a reluctant recruit. If he signs, Cue: I badly want to play in the Premier League and Southampton have always been my first love..... If he doesn't sign - no great surprise, but not long to find another player of his calibre.

Different level of player, but when we signed Fonte in league 1, he didnt really want to come if i remember rightly. Palace were in administration and needed to offload him and we paid the highest fee. Fonte said all the rights things to the press but i remember lots of reports of him not wanting to come.

Anyway, success and good players around him soon brout him round and he soon began to love the place.

With the team spirit as it is, and our (hopeful) success this year, im sure Osvaldo won't take long to come round to the 'southampton way' and will be delighted to be part of the squad... The wages and bonuses will help too

I don't think its as much a done deal as we think, but we are certainly in pole position it would seem.

Also harsh to say he doesn't want to come. He just wants to see what is on offer. If he really doesnt want to come to us he won't. He doesnt seem like the type of peraon who would be pushed around.

THEVMAN seems to think so. And he would know....

ENDS

Fair play to him, perfectly reasonable concerns.

THEVMAN seems to think so. And he would know....

I know THEVMAN has good connections to Lallana, but it sounds like Osvaldo hasnt completely decided yet so Im not sure its a done deal i.e if Osvaldo doesn't know then how could anyone else?

We are in pole position but all it takes is one phone call from a big club....wait til its on the OS before celebrating.

I know THEVMAN has good connections to Lallana, but it sounds like Osvaldo hasnt completely decided yet so Im not sure its a done deal i.e if Osvaldo doesn't know then how could anyone else?

We are in pole position but all it takes is one phone call from a big club....wait til its on the OS before celebrating.

The press think Osvaldo doesn't know yet - no direct quotes from him.

It could be more advanced than the press are reporting. VMAN doesn't get much wrong so I'm inclined to believe that it's going to happen.

I understand but when saying Osvaldo doesn't know, how do we know that? The italian media were putting out numerous articles like this about Ramirez last year, but the deal was actually wrapped up many days before. The truth is we don't know what to believe, but THEVMAN doesn't let us down, usually.

I would lay money on it being SRL missing out. JRod gives us mobility up front and I reckon that is more central to Mopo's game plan than the qualities SRL brings (sadly).

I can't see SRL being dropped. I can see him playing in the centre of the forward 3 with Osvaldo ahead of him. I'd pick SRL ahead of Gaston in that no.10 role at the moment.

I can't see SRL being dropped. I can see him playing in the centre of the forward 3 with Osvaldo ahead of him. I'd pick SRL ahead of Gaston in that no.10 role at the moment.

Yep there is no way Rickie will be dropped, he will play deeper or as a partner for Osvaldo (if he comes).

The ones under threat would be Jay Rod, Lallana and Gaston.

To be honest it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if they let Gaston go if he signs.

I dont dislike him but I just dont see him as an MP type player !

Osvaldo will play as a wide forward. In a 4-2-3-1 he will probably be playing in the wide berths that Punch/Lallana filled last season. I'm not sure where he'd fit I a 4-4-1-1 (guess up front, but assume he could fill a wide berth if needed).

Essentially, I feel he is the wide player you want us to sign. He will get the 11 shirt. If we sign Osvaldo, and if we then were to sign another player (which I doubt), they would probably be backup at left back or perhaps to cover Artur, not a winger IMO.

Agree- can see him drifting in off the wing. Possibly from the right hand side.

How about this?

----------------BORUC-----------------

CLYNE----LOVREN----YOSHIDA----SHAW

--------WANYAMA----MORGAN----------

----------------LALLANA----------------

-----JAYROD----LAMBERT----OSVALDO--

JAYROD------------------------LALLANA

--------------------LAMBERT-----------

---------OSVALDO---------------------

?

How about this?

?

The 2nd one is how I imagine it working out. Not sure where it would leave Gaston, though.

How about this?

?

Looks good, although I feel we'd mix it up, with both players and formations changing on the fly. If I had to stump for a single formation, I think we might be considering something like this:

----OSVALDO----RAMIREZ----LALLANA----

---------------LAMBERT----------------

Looks good, although I feel we'd mix it up, with both players and formations changing on the fly. If I had to stump for a single formation, I think we might be considering something like this:

----OSVALDO----RAMIREZ----LALLANA----

---------------LAMBERT----------------

I like that, although might make 1 or 2 changes...

----LALLANA---LAMBERT---JAYROD------

---------------OSVALDO----------------

Think Osvaldo is a better finisher than any of our current forwards, so it makes sense for him to be the one who's highest up the pitch. Lallana and Jay pushing up and making runs into the box, Rickie a bit deeper to dictate the play.

Boruc

Chambers/Clyne - Lovren - Yoshi/Fonte/Jos - Shaw/Fox

Cork/Wanyama/Davis - Morgan/JWP

Lallana/JRod/Osvaldo/Puncheon - Ramirez/Lambert/Lallana/Osvaldo/JWP - Lallana/Puncheon/Osvaldo/JRod/JWP

Lambert/Osvaldo/JRod

Confusingly, that's how I see it. Then just depends on form, fitness and opposition.

Yeah, that's pretty conclusive. Email it in.

Latest from Corriere Dello Sport:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.corrieredellosport.it%2Fcalcio_mercato%2F2013%2F08%2F18-331723%2FCalciomercato%2BRoma%252C%2BOsvaldo%2Bverso%2BSouthampton

[h=2]Transfer Rome, Osvaldo towards Southampton[/h][h=3]The attacker has not been part of the expedition giallorossa in Terni: now it is next to its departure, destination Premier League. But his assignment does not solve the issue Lamela[/h] ROME - It is going to close the adventure of Osvaldo to Roma. Yesterday, the striker has not made part of the expedition giallorossa in Terni for the friendly with rossoverdi, Southampton is increasingly in the future of the attacker. Pochettino is doing everything possible to have him back after the adventure with Espanyol, and the challenge that continues for months by the fans romanista now definitively dismissed the player from Rome. In London Baldissoni and Sabatini have already closed the deal, more than 18 million bonus to the club and 3 million per season for 4 years all'italoargentino who wanted the Premier but would have preferred a landing directly to London, via Arsenal or Tottenham but have not aimed at him as have the red and white Hampshire. Today could be the announcement of the fateful yes. That, however, could be disconnected from the possible departure of Lamela, enticed by the four million per season from Tottenham own proposed: increasing engagement at the 'Coco' could be the solution to not be deprived, in Trigoria think about it.

@angelomangiante: @Lee_R1989 @Zoggers87 #Osvaldo is really so close to @SouthamptonFC. Pochettino is the key for his decision. I guess no sorprices this time

Guess this was one of the main reasons Poche was brought in. Will be a good litmus test.

After the whole Gaston Ramirez deal last summer it's difficult to take the tweets on face value; tt least the general trend is entirely positive now. Amazing how just three smilies from someone considered credible can cause a storm. Good work vman.