Seems to be a lot of anti-Lallana people

Saint-Beer

I don't get this. Has bags of talent, can be a joy to watch but people on this forum give him a lot of stick. Ok, he needs to up his shooting but on his day can cause all sorts of problems, Liverpool at home for example. Even as captain, it doesn't stop other players from voicing opinion on the pitch or motivating a player. Why do these people give him so much stick ??

The Lallana hate on here is pathetic, he stuck with us through all the bad times and was a very competent championship left mid and a key part of the way we played under Adkins in the championship, as the amount of assists Lallana and Richardson got that season will testify. He isn't a a premier league player, anyone can see this, but like Fox, Sharp, Richardson, Hammond and Davis did the job he was brought in to do, the only difference is the the others were replaced by better players so are viewed as heroes who did their job in the championship and were part of a great team. Whereas we failed to bring in a left mid last summer, so Lallana is viewed as some useless out of depth clown who should never play for us again.

I don't get this. Has bags of talent, can be a joy to watch but people on this forum give him a lot of stick. Ok, he needs to up his shooting but on his day can cause all sorts of problems, Liverpool at home for example. Even as captain, it doesn't stop other players from voicing opinion on the pitch or motivating a player. Why do these people give him so much stick ??

Have you been watching him regularly? Since his injury last season he has not been as good as he was - hopefully this season he will be back to his old self.

The Lallana hate on here is pathetic, he stuck with us through all the bad times and was a very competent championship left mid and a key part of the way we played under Adkins in the championship, as the amount of assists Lallana and Richardson got that season will testify. He isn't a a premier league player, anyone can see this, but like Fox, Sharp, Richardson, Hammond and Davis did the job he was brought in to do, the only difference is the the others were replaced by better players so are viewed as heroes who did their job in the championship and were part of a great team. Whereas we failed to bring in a left mid last summer, so Lallana is viewed as some useless out of depth clown who should never play for us again.

Spot on mate.

I disagree and believe AL can be a good premier league player. To say he is out of his depth is wrong. How many premier league players have his technique? Not many. I agree he needs to up his shooting and maybe a few more assists, but last year was his first season in the prem and injury hit. I really think he can deliver at this level. Someone out there must believe this too ?!

Good read for the Lallana and Gaston negative fans:

http://footballspeak.com/post/2013/04/01/Southampton-on-the-rise.aspx

I for one am a big fan of AL and think he's done ok for his first season in the prem. of the top of my head he was excellent against Liverpool. A great talent who will get better and better, for sure. Encourage his talent, don't knock him.

He was good against Liverpool but am struggling to think of many more good performances last season. His finishing is woeful as is his final ball. Puncheon was much better than him last season IMO and should start vs west brom. Not sure he's up to it. However, as a person wonderful guy who has been great for us.

I for one am a big fan of AL and think he's done ok for his first season in the prem. of the top of my head he was excellent against Liverpool. A great talent who will get better and better, for sure. Encourage his talent, don't knock him.

Agree with this and your other post above.

With this full pre season for fitness and his natural talent AND his heart in the Saints...his form will return..Top class player

As with Gaston...two very naturally gifted footballers which can only be good for the Saints.

The coaching staff believe and so do most of the fans..

Things can only get better.:)

Think the problem is a lot of people thought he would be a top Premiership player for us and in the two thirds of his first season in the league he did not live up to people's expectations.

How dare he take longer than 20 odd games to adjust to the next level up :rolleyes:

I don't have anything against Lallana at all, and I don't believe any of our fans do. He can just be very frustrating and 'powerpuff'' on all too many occasions. But he has talent and ability above a lot of English players, so let's cut him some slack.

One thing though, he isn't a captain. That's my main gripe. Please take the captaincy off of him.

I don't have anything against Lallana at all, and I don't believe any of our fans do. He can just be very frustrating and 'powerpuff'' on all too many occasions. But he has talent and ability above a lot of English players, so let's cut him some slack.

One thing though, he isn't a captain. That's my main gripe. Please take the captaincy off of him.

I agree about the Captain bit. He isn't a natural leader by the look of it and the added responsibility may well be hampering him.

He isn't one of the players left in the squad who you just know is not Premiership quality - if I mention a couple I'm sure I will be accused of picking scapegoats - he just needs a return to the form he is capable of. Everyone has dips in form, and when you are getting used to a step up in quality and you have had an injury or two its going to take a while.

Lets see what he is like by Christmas....but I do wonder, as Sour Mash has suggested, wether he will be in the starting eleven from the first match ?

I disagree and believe AL can be a good premier league player. To say he is out of his depth is wrong. How many premier league players have his technique? Not many. I agree he needs to up his shooting and maybe a few more assists, but last year was his first season in the prem and injury hit. I really think he can deliver at this level. Someone out there must believe this too ?!

Agree. He lacks the power and pace to be a really top player imo, but is still more than competent at this level. He provided 8 goals + assists last season; I believe he's better than that and hope he shows it this year.

Absolute joy to watch on his day. MLT regularly says he would have loved to play in the same team as him. His final ball, shooting and pace let him down really.

Hopefully he'll come back this year and make a bit of a step up. Has all the potential to be a real club legend

Couldn't agree more. Lallana had a poor finish to the season (post injury) but he did well prior to that. Yes, his shooting can be powder-puff at times and sometimes he tries to do too much but to say that he isn't premier league quality is just plain wrong.

Lallana is class. His shooting needs to improve but that is mainly poor decision making rather than lack of talent, he seems to want to place the perfect shot every time when he should sometimes just put his foot through it. He will improve, I'm not surprised at some SWF mongs writing him of though.

The thing with AL is he seems to be a victim of his own success. He had 2 great seasons in L1 and another in the championship. He was able to play left mid exceptionally well there after converting from attacking midfielder in the relegation season. Personally, I don't see him as a wide midfielder at prem level as full backs seem to be more savvy than at lower levels and have that extra bit of pace in general. I see him as more of the 'in the hole' type of player he used to be, but unfortunately in that position, GR is more accomplished, despite having patchy form himself. I hope both have great seasons this time around and silence all of the nay-sayers and their jerky knees.

Absolute joy to watch on his day. MLT regularly says he would have loved to play in the same team as him. His final ball, shooting and pace let him down really.

Hopefully he'll come back this year and make a bit of a step up. Has all the potential to be a real club legend

The worry for Adam is we seem to be favouring overseas players and signings.

Been to Kenya and the premier league is massive. A good friend of mine is in Kenya right now and works out there. He tells me we'll be the best supported club in East Africa after Arsenal, United and Chelsea. The interest that a Kenyan will be playing in the Premier League is huge. Don't underestimate it.

Watching the 12/13 goals DVD, it's easy to forget the contribution he made through the season. Absolutely key to how we played earlier in the season but he does have weaknesses. His best goal last season sadly came when it made little difference, at Upton Park when we capitulated at the start of the second half.

Lallana is class. His shooting needs to improve but that is mainly poor decision making rather than lack of talent, he seems to want to place the perfect shot every time when he should sometimes just put his foot through it. He will improve, I'm not surprised at some SWF mongs writing him of though.
Can you train decision making in a footballer in their mid 20s? That's something quite ingrained I reckon.

The thing with AL is he seems to be a victim of his own success. He had 2 great seasons in L1 and another in the championship. He was able to play left mid exceptionally well there after converting from attacking midfielder in the relegation season. Personally, I don't see him as a wide midfielder at prem level as full backs seem to be more savvy than at lower levels and have that extra bit of pace in general. I see him as more of the 'in the hole' type of player he used to be, but unfortunately in that position, GR is more accomplished, despite having patchy form himself. I hope both have great seasons this time around and silence all of the nay-sayers and their jerky knees.

Lallana has always had trouble with his finishing. Remember slating him for awful misses in our relegation season. If he'd been efficient we might not even have gone down. Blackpool at home was one of the worst accumulations of missed easy chances known in the history of football and then we lost 1 - 0

Agree. He lacks the power and pace to be a really top player imo, but is still more than competent at this level. He provided 8 goals + assists last season; I believe he's better than that and hope he shows it this year.

He scored 3 goals.

not much left after that then is there. Just a bloke going round and round and finally disappearing up his own rear end. What's the point of beating 8 opponents and getting barged off the ball by the 9th or even worse tripping over your own feet. Not a PL player.

IMHO he can only now be considered as a squad player and not nailed on for the first XI. Great flair and vision but lacking that yard of pace to be a top player at prem level. At lower level his technical ability made up for this but particularly with the way MP wants to play with a high tempo pressing game he often leaves us exposed. Definitely a useful squad player to come on and try and unlock a defence in a tight game though and his contribution in taking us back to the big time should not be forgotten

He was kind of thrown in at the deep end though. In a poor team, disgruntled locals, the Dutch experiment, looming administration, unnatural playing position. Its all alot for a twenty year old to cope with. He did score 20+ goals for us in L1 in a season though as I recall so he finishing is there. At that level at least. I still don't think LM Is his position though and his overall game isn't just about goals. He is a good player, just not quite there yet, which is a slight issue given his age.

I'm a Lallana fan, how can anyone who loves Saints not be? He was with us in the Premiership relegation year and has seen us all the way down and stuck with us, now he's seen us all the way up, he really is 'one of us', more than anyone. But I don't think he's the right person for captain and I don't think he recovered well from injury last year. The team used to depend on him, now he's just going to be a squad player

I'm a Lallana fan, how can anyone who loves Saints not be? He was with us in the Premiership relegation year and has seen us all the way down and stuck with us, now he's seen us all the way up, he really is 'one of us', more than anyone. But I don't think he's the right person for captain and I don't think he recovered well from injury last year. The team used to depend on him, now he's just going to be a squad player

Ah but when sentiment gets you PL points Man U and Chelsea will get relegated.

Lallana has always had trouble with his finishing. Remember slating him for awful misses in our relegation season. If he'd been efficient we might not even have gone down. Blackpool at home was one of the worst accumulations of missed easy chances known in the history of football and then we lost 1 - 0

Was that the game where blackpool had three disallowed for offside, and McGoldrick hit the bar in injury time?

He was kind of thrown in at the deep end though. In a poor team, disgruntled locals, the Dutch experiment, looming administration, unnatural playing position. Its all alot for a twenty year old to cope with. He did score 20+ goals for us in L1 in a season though as I recall so he finishing is there. At that level at least. I still don't think LM Is his position though and his overall game isn't just about goals. He is a good player, just not quite there yet, which is a slight issue given his age.

His finishing may have been there against poor defenders and keepers, isn't at the highest level, needs too much time.

Was that the game where blackpool had three disallowed for offside, and McGoldrick hit the bar in injury time?

they scored from a penalty right on half time and Lallana missed a shedload. Early season TV game, The rest has disappeared into the mists of time. Just remember Lallana's woefulness, we could have had the game stowed away long before Blackpool scored.

The AL of the 2nd half of last season was a disappointment.

That does not make him a bad player suddenly (IMHO). However, BECAUSE he has so much talent, to see him not playing to that level IS disappointing. I don't think even he can be happy with that, maybe the injury (ies) have set him back we don't know the full story on the last couple of years.

What I want to see is NOT a replacement for Adam, but the OLD Adam back playing at his best in the PL.

The point (again IMHO) is that towards the end of last season he was not at his best and I WANT HIM TO GET BACK TO IT.

If it is mental/confidence then that needs work. IF it is because of his knock then THAT needs work. IF it is too many nights out then that needs work.

The point I believe is that the real AL is the first name on the teamsheet. The AL of the end of last season is NOT the first name and IF he is going to stay like that THEN we may need a replacement

they scored from a penalty right on half time and Lallana missed a shedload. Early season TV game, The rest has disappeared into the mists of time. Just remember Lallana's woefulness, we could have had the game stowed away long before Blackpool scored.

If its the one I'm thinking of, it was pure comedy gold. They kept scoring for fun, and the ref kept disallowing them. Like you say, it was ages ago so might have been another game altogether, tbh.

So some Cambridge United fan blogger thinks he's good.

A while back we all thought he was going to be world class and that has led to some disappointment, he hasn't found his feet yet in the prem. The fans will get behind him and I'm sure he will have a better season this year than last. How good he will be is anyones guess, he will end up somewhere between Bale and Surman

The AL of the 2nd half of last season was a disappointment.

That does not make him a bad player suddenly (IMHO). However, BECAUSE he has so much talent, to see him not playing to that level IS disappointing. I don't think even he can be happy with that, maybe the injury (ies) have set him back we don't know the full story on the last couple of years.

What I want to see is NOT a replacement for Adam, but the OLD Adam back playing at his best in the PL.

The point (again IMHO) is that towards the end of last season he was not at his best and I WANT HIM TO GET BACK TO IT.

If it is mental/confidence then that needs work. IF it is because of his knock then THAT needs work. IF it is too many nights out then that needs work.

The point I believe is that the real AL is the first name on the teamsheet. The AL of the end of last season is NOT the first name and IF he is going to stay like that THEN we may need a replacement

No way first name on teamsheet. The old Adam wasn't that good IMO. More like the prem showed him up

I don't think people hate AL, it's just that he had a decidedly average season. For me me this year is pivotal, both AL and GR have to show they can deliver consistently at this level or unfortunately I think their time at Saints will come to an end.

Its a shame because AL has been brilliant for us over the L1 and championship years, however life in the prem has a darwinian outlook and sadly your previous service will not be taken into account.

F()ck me, there are some impatient retards on here. He's just had an injury-hit first season where, by his standards, he would have been disappointed, too. FWIW though, he was still better than A LOT of so-called PL-league footballers.

You have to wonder whether the "I WANT SUCCESS AND I WANT IT NOW!" brigade can remember a few years ago when he could have left - he didn't (even then, there was a few saying he should have been sold for £500,000). And because he stayed, he became one of the main focal points of our resurgence in League One and secondly, the nPC. He didn't f()ck off at the first opportunity like Kenwyne Jones, Chamberlain... but I bet some of you would welcome them back in the hope that they might bring us a better chance of instant success.

Sure, Adam no longer is one of the "main" players now we're in the Premier League. That's to be expected, there's plenty of good footballers at the club to share the burden.. but to say he can't do it in the PL after one injury-hit season is ridiculous. Who would you rather have? Henderson? Shelvey? Jenas? Cleverley? Ramsey? Ha, yeah, ok.

Not only has he contributed massively to our success and show loyalty to the club, he still remains OUR captain and an important player... yet instead of look forward to having a fit AL for the new season and giving him some support, there's plenty on here who'd rather p1ss and moan that Adam isn't good enough. Absolute b0llocks. Doesn't matter anyway, you'll soon move on to your next target soon enough, depending on who plays poorly against Vigo, Sociedad etc...

PS: Oh, weren't we all told the following players were not good at enough at some point last year; Boruc, Lambert, Rodriguez, Yoshida, Fonte, Hooiveld... and now Gaston's also a sh1t footballer, despite Inter Milan wanting him. Hmmm, yeah, ok Saints fans.

F()ck me, there are some impatient retards on here. He's just had an injury-hit first season where, by his standards, he would have been disappointed, too. FWIW though, he was still better than A LOT of so-called PL-league footballers.

You have to wonder whether the "I WANT SUCCESS AND I WANT IT NOW!" brigade can remember a few years ago when he could have left - he didn't (even then, there was a few saying he should have been sold for £500,000). And because he stayed, he became one of the main focal points of our resurgence in League One and secondly, the nPC. He didn't f()ck off at the first opportunity like Kenwyne Jones, Chamberlain... but I bet some of you would welcome them back in the hope that they might bring us a better chance of instant success.

Sure, Adam no longer is one of the "main" players now we're in the Premier League. That's to be expected, there's plenty of good footballers at the club to share the burden.. but to say he can't do it in the PL after one injury-hit season is ridiculous. Who would you rather have? Henderson? Shelvey? Jenas? Cleverley? Ramsey? Ha, yeah, ok.

Not only has he contributed massively to our success and show loyalty to the club, he still remains OUR captain and an important player... yet instead of look forward to having a fit AL for the new season and giving him some support, there's plenty on here who'd rather p1ss and moan that Adam isn't good enough. Absolute b0llocks. Doesn't matter anyway, you'll soon move on to your next target soon enough, depending on who plays poorly against Vigo, Sociedad etc...

PS: Oh, weren't we all told the following players were not good at enough at some point last year; Boruc, Lambert, Rodriguez, Yoshida, Fonte, Hooiveld... and now Gaston's also a sh1t footballer, despite Inter Milan wanting him. Hmmm, yeah, ok Saints fans.

Spot on.

He didn't have his greatest season last year - these things happen. He was still good, and can still be better this time around. He is quite clearly a vital member of the squad and huge figure within the club.

On the captaincy issue, I think he's there as an example to the academy players. It doesn't make the world of difference that some think it does.

Spot on.

He didn't have his greatest season last year - these things happen. He was still good, and can still be better this time around. He is quite clearly a vital member of the squad and huge figure within the club.

On the captaincy issue, I think he's there as an example to the academy players. It doesn't make the world of difference that some think it does.

But he really wasn't good. 3 goals isn't enough and puncheon scored 7. Some games Adam was just damn right awful.