Rickie Lambert called up for England

Saint-Armstrong

Rickie showed in 20 minutes how to lead the line for England in a way that Rooney could never match. He scored one brilliant goal and could have had two others. The chance that hit the post was unlucky because the ball took a nick off a defender just before it reached him. When Rooney plays he is like a school kid chasing all over the place for a touch of the ball and this drags England out of shape. Rickie came on and provided what was needed - a centre forward who holds a disciplined position so that the rest of the team know where he is. Unfortunately I doubt Hodgson will see it that way and he'll continue to pick Rooney who will continue to run around like a headless chicken.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-chairman-says-no-5016001

DEAN HOYLE today scotched rumours of continued Town interest in Rickie Lambert and said both he and manager Lee Clark are delighted with the five signings made so far this close-season.

Despite denials by the Galpharm club and Bristol Rovers, stories of a deal for the £750,000-rated striker, who was a Town transfer target last January, refuse to go away.

However chairman Hoyle, who is cycling 70 miles a week as he prepares for his charity bike ride to the opening League I match at Southend United on Saturday, August 8 (see Page 10), insisted: “A move for Rickie Lambert is a no-no.

“No disrespect to a very good player, but it’s a simple matter of economics. Any deal would cost a minimum of £750,000 plus add-ons for a player who is 27 and who would want a three-year contract.

“Even if he scored 30 goals a season for those three years, by the time the contract is at an end, the player would be 30, and therefore there would be little or no resale value.

Well Done & Congrats to Lambert for scoring for England tonight

and that he thoroughly deserved the call up & the goal &

will hopefully get a call up against Moldova next as well but we'l see

or at least will hopefully score at West Brom as well but we'l see!!!

COYR!!! :D

Woy: "He's been so enthusiastic. He's been like a young boy with a new toy ever since he joined us.

"We believe in him. Funnily enough, when he came on the first thing Gary Neville said to me was that he's going to get us a goal. He almost got us three! He certainly got us a very good one and was very close to two others.

"I'm deighted for him. He's a man who's worked very hard for his chance and done it the hard way. Now he's crowned his debut with a goal.

"I think the 15 Premier League goals he scored last season told us a lot. Technically he's a very good player, and he's got great composure in front of goal as we saw today.

"I'm happy for him, and happy that his goal gave us the victory."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8870916/International-friendly-Roy-Hodgson-hails-England-hero-Rickie-Lambert

Is there a limit to how many times you can watch that goal before it becomes creepy?

No. They showed it here about 20 times at the end of the game and BOY it was amazing EVERY time.

FFS, deep down as Saints fans we knew he had the ability to score for England, we've seen him rise to every challenge.

We dreamt he'd come on and score the winner, but we knew deep down that God doesn't work that way, only Hollywood.

But then he goes and farking DOES it?

Absolutely MENTAL here in the Pub. Everyone knew @dubaisaints weren't bothered by the game but wanted to see SRL come on and when we went nuts the whole place just turned and grinned.

There were about a dozen p1ssed up Jocks in the place, who equally went mental when their Kenny Miller story started to be written.

But, and here's the weird thing.

When a saddened drunken Jock, comes up to you after a game they have just lost and buys you a beer, you KNOW something special just happened.

And that was it. A pat on the back, a well done, and AMAZINGLY "That was good for Football" as their parting words.

I got sh1t earlier in the thread because I had a tear in my eye when he actually got the call up. Don't think I was the only one tonight.

Oh and how great it was on our TV coverage that the camera panned to the crowd to show some tiny little kid being held aloft by his Dad...... wearing last season's Saints shirt.

F\/ck me, what a magnificent moment.

Thank you Rickie & Thank You Big Man upstairs for letting Hollywood write the script for once.

Oh sh1t is THAT the time? oops not a chance of sleeping, just buzzing.

#soproudtobeasainttonight

God Bless you Rickie Lambert

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})