Rickie Lambert called up for England

Saint-Armstrong

On the Danish footy site I use, everyone is very complimentary towards Rickie - several comment that he must have been kept in a time capsule from the 80's as he encompasses everything a traditional English forward is about.

He has deserved this moment no matter what comes next, but don't underestimate the vaule for the club as a whole. Much like Maya making the FIFA cover in Japan; SFC is starting to get noticed again...

Aside from Lambert I'm actually liking the way England are starting to shape up. Bring Carrick in for Gerrard, Forster in for Hart and Lambert in for Rooney and that's a decent outfit. Centreback is a cause for concern - hoping Caulker has an outstanding season, as we need new blood from somewhere - but I'm optimistic that we can get to Brazil and give it a good go.

Still on cloud nine, thanks for that Rickie.

Having seen all the clips of him being interviewed, surely there can not be a better role model than him. He seems so down to earth and such a nice guy, and you can see the joy in his face.

Good to keep on hearing his thanks to SFC, and it sounds like he loves this club.

I can't ever remember seeing anything bad said about him, or reports in newspapers of him doing anything wrong.

Any youngster out there should take note, not everything in life can be made better by having a bigger wage packet.

It's a little sad that it seems such a novelty that someone is excited and proud to pull on the England shirt.

FFS that is the reason I haven't bothered watching an England game recently. actually only started watching last night when the board here said he'd come on.

This ^

Exactly my thoughts,I think people have got tired of average players playing for England over better,more hungry players just because of which club they play their day to day football for.

Lambert and his kind would crawl on broken glass just to be involved,compare that to the overpaid ponces who wouldn't even drive over a puddle in their Ferrari's to get to wembley.

Rickies story should be shown to every young footballer in England by the FA as an inspiration.

Calling it now, England strikers to go to Brazil:

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert.

I fear Rickie will have to score 3 times as many goals as Carroll to get his seat on the plane. Don't forget Carroll once cost £35m and used to play for Liverpool and is therefore automatically better.

I fear Rickie will have to score 3 times as many goals as Carroll to get his seat on the plane. Don't forget Carroll once cost £35m and used to play for Liverpool and is therefore automatically better.

Well, that and he is a good player with tournament experience, and I think he'll flourish at West Ham. If he has an injury-free season and matches Lambert for goals then it will be difficult for him, but if Lambert gets another couple of call-ups and can prove his worth as a passer and mover as well as finisher then I think he'll do it.

OK back to the match last night.

5 Official Dubai Saints had dragged mates down the puib so we had about 12 of us. None of us were that bothered by the game itself and tbf were not that interested in it as it may have been passionate but it was as Mrs D_P said - a bit like watching us play a rubbish team like Wigan at home...

Being a busy bar we had no Commentary, game was on about 6 screens. SRL comes on we gave out a really good roar and actually got a lot of "smiles" from the rest of the pub.

Then that corner comes in.... A Bullet header hits the net and there was about 5 HOURS of slow motion silence...

We are all staring at the screen. We are looking to see who it is that is pulling away to celebrate. Everyone of us had time to say to our selves OMG let that have been Rickie. We even seemed to have time to look at the Ref and the Lino to see if there had been a foul or something and then

the close-up

We are leaping around like demented rabbits. Our mates are standing their Cheering and laughing and saying OMG it's really happened, OMG. Others in the Pub have stood up at their tables all looking at us and at the telly, huge grins oin their faces, hands in the air and clapping, even their Girlfriends are looking up in understanding.

And then the Noisy Drunken Jocks - Their shoulders at first slumped, look up turn round and come over and say, well done, what a good moment for football. You jammy B*stds...

Today the Boss phones me up and talks bloody football & Rickie Lambert (He's a Yank FFS!)

Back to earth with a bang then on Saturday when DM tells us all what Rickie doesn't want to do now...........

Even now still got a tear in my eye and a grin on my face

We are all staring at the screen. We are looking to see who it is that is pulling away to celebrate. Everyone of us had time to say to our selves OMG let that have been Rickie.

Was funny as from where I was in the stadium (almost down the other end from that goal) I knew instantly it was Rickie. I was jumping about shouting and the guys I was with were still trying to work out if I was correct, but I knew it was his goal!!! :lol:

it's hard to be subjective, but Rickie is simply a better all round player than Carroll. Carroll is a tad quicker and better in the air, but Rickie wins on pretty much every other facet. Defoe will get the nod despite doing pretty much **** all all season and maybe even carrying a knock.

Picking on Hart for a few mistakes is crazy. England fans always call for a new keeper, build them up then turn on them. Hart is a really good keeper playing at a very high level. He'll make mistakes, all keepers do, plus he's young. Put those mistakes aside and there's a good keeper for many years. Get on his back and vilify him every time and it gets worse.
he was poor last season and it's his reputation alone that has kept him in the side and perhaps the lack of genuine competition. All keepers make mistakes as you say, but he is making too many at present. Hopefully he'll get back to where he was 12 months ago.

As always, there's the making of a good England team, but it won't happen. He won't drop Gerrard, so England won't keep possession enough. Carrick would be great, Wilshere is good, but Cleverley and Gerrard? I've always preferred Lampard because he's a more patient player, he keeps possession more and fits in better to a successful side. Gerrard sits there looking for the key pass every 2 minutes and runs around the pitch the rest of the time.
Gerrard was my MOTM last night. Only one hollywood ball attempt all night (which typically went straight to an opponent) which is possibly why he impressed me. He worked hard, looked sharp and showed a great first touch and real composure. If he keeps passes short he's an automatic for me. Miles better than Carrick who is just average. Cleverly isn't good enough. I'd rather play Milner, who has always looked good in the middle - its out wide he offers nothing. Wiltshire is class.

I'd love to ditch Rooney altogether and take Lambert, Welbeck, Sturridge and Defoe or Carroll. Think too many fans are fed up supporting someone like Rooney to be honest.
Rooney is still a top quality player and he gives it all in an England shirt. He was poor in South Africa, but he was coming back from injury. He'd be in my squad every time.

As for CB, it just needs time. Cahill and Jagielka are both good players. Jones will improve, but I don't see much to gain from changing it round all the time. Much like Saints without Cork last year, the defence isn't helped by a complete lack of holding midfielder. Gerrard was off elsewhere, just like the last couple of tournaments, leaving big gaps and little protection.
I don't think Cahill or Jagielka are anywhere near good enough at international level. The problem is I don't see anyone else that is. Jones needs to get a season as first choice at United and maybe Smalling too. Can't see that happening so we have Dawson as the only other option and he'll be injured anyway.

Well, that and he is a good player with tournament experience, and I think he'll flourish at West Ham. If he has an injury-free season and matches Lambert for goals then it will be difficult for him, but if Lambert gets another couple of call-ups and can prove his worth as a passer and mover as well as finisher then I think he'll do it.

Exactly this, Carroll gets a hard time but is better than people give him credit. If he has a decent season he will get the nod. Other than that though I dont hold much hope for England in a world cup. Gerrard and Rooney are the onky two top class players on display last night, gerrards stock is starting to fade and Rooney didnt seem sharp enough ladt night, he needs to sort his head out.

Wilshere and Cleverley in midfield must give SG a headache who tried to be available for passes and marshall the defence but got little protection from the other two. Wilshere looks good on the ball but gets caught in posession and gives it away easily at times. Movement upfront is an issue aswell. Personally swap Gerrard for Cleverley and play Carrick deeper and it should be ok. The ball from Gerrard to Rooney was sublime and should have been onside.

Welbeck looked good again, contrary to what many would have hoped. Walcott didnt look massively interested but his pace is such a get out ball.

Agree re defence, it doesnt fill me with confidence at all.

does anyone know when the next England squad will be announced ? I assume it will be before the Norwich game which could just leave 2 league games to impress in , surely they'll give him another chance in the squad ?!

The big thing in Rickie's favour is that he's now very much on the media's radar, which means that all the little things he does will be noticed more than ever before. We've seen them week-in, week-out, but the media have lazily focused mainly on his goal production.

He has far more dimensions to his game than Carroll - while Carroll's contribution is largely at the end of the build-up, Rickie's exists at pretty much every stage.

Once that's acknowledged, a big gap opens IMO.

Is it time to change the line in the Lambert song from He took us to the Premier League to He scored a goal at Wembley...

....I know he'd already scored in the JPT final but we weren't in the Prem then and also Wembley rhymes better with three than league.

The big thing in Rickie's favour is that he's now very much on the media's radar, which means that all the little things he does will be noticed more than ever before. We've seen them week-in, week-out, but the media have lazily focused mainly on his goal production.

He has far more dimensions to his game than Carroll - while Carroll's contribution is largely at the end of the build-up, Rickie's exists at pretty much every stage.

To be fair I think there are a fair few who already know it. The following article was written after his call-up but before last night. Apologies if it's been posted before. http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/jim-holden/421184/Spot-on-Rickie-Lambert-England-call-up-is-wonderful-news

In the game there are those who can see where Carroll's weeknesses are, Rogers could see he didn't immediately fit a technical team and got rid, and I'd imagine RH is also aware. That's not to say he can't improve but at the moment I think Hodgson will realise Rickie's got a bit more going for him.

I think that barring injury Rickie'll be in the next squad. There was a telling bit at the end of RH's post match interview that I've not seen picked up on elsewhere. Hodgson said something along the lines of 'I respect Rickie for working so hard and long and earning the chance to be here late in his career, as I have."

Given Gary Neville pointed this out numerous times last season on his excellent match analysis I'm wondering if he's slowly undermining Woy and maybe that will see Rickie in the line up more often...

To be fair I think there are a fair few who already know it. The following article was written after his call-up but before last night. Apologies if it's been posted before. http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/jim-holden/421184/Spot-on-Rickie-Lambert-England-call-up-is-wonderful-news

In the game there are those who can see where Carroll's weeknesses are, Rogers could see he didn't immediately fit a technical team and got rid, and I'd imagine RH is also aware. That's not to say he can't improve but at the moment I think Hodgson will realise Rickie's got a bit more going for him.

I think that barring injury Rickie'll be in the next squad. There was a telling bit at the end of RH's post match interview that I've not seen picked up on elsewhere. Hodgson said something along the lines of 'I respect Rickie for working so hard and long and earning the chance to be here late in his career, as I have."

I saw that article and was really pleased to read it. You're right - there has been acknowledgement of his broader contributions but IMO it has been far from universal.

Another thing in Rickie's favour is that he's one of those "glue types" that can bind a dressing room together. There was a lot of genuine happiness for Lambert among the seasoned internationals in the England dressing room - and, as you said, even in Hodgson himself.

It's hard to put a price on having someone with those qualities in a squad, and it's another advantage that Lambert has over Carroll.

Do you think that if we had signed RL for say £10m-15m then he would be looked at in a different light? The closest player to him is Carroll who has cost a combined £50m (as opposed RL's £1.5m). While there is the "big" club thing, I also wonder whether the fee isn't also taken into account.

image_normal.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

Poch said: "I was at Wembley with my family and when Rickie scored we jumped out of our seats." #lambert #saintsfc

image_normal.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

Poch said: "After so many years cheering for Maradona and his hand of God goal it was very strange to be celebrating an #England goal."

image_normal.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook59s

Poch said: "In Argentina or they will tear my passport up.” #saintsfc

Like one or two other players in the England squad, Carroll gets picked on reputation, rather than on form. Playing for West Ham does him no favours, as he is simply used as a target for high balls. In my view he is a capable of much more than just that, and could fulfil a similar role to RL given a chance. He is potentially a really good international player. But he needs to work on these aspects of his game and it won't happen at West Ham.

In terms of what he adds to the team, I would have RL ahead of Carroll any day.

This ^

Exactly my thoughts,I think people have got tired of average players playing for England over better,more hungry players just because of which club they play their day to day football for.

Lambert and his kind would crawl on broken glass just to be involved,compare that to the overpaid ponces who wouldn't even drive over a puddle in their Ferrari's to get to wembley.

Rickies story should be shown to every young footballer in England by the FA as an inspiration.

Could not agree me - every quality you want in a footballer he showed last night and throughout his career. Humble, gracious, hard-working, respectful - a bloody great role model for young footballers everywhere.

A bloke who put tops on beetroot jars for a living knows how lucky he is. We need more with that understanding. He's worth a million John Terrys as a man and as a footballer.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})