Congrats Rickie

Saints boy in Leeds

I like to think that somewhere Alan Pardew and Nigel Adkins were enjoying that moment as much as we all were.

Adkins couldn't get the grin off his face just being interviewed about his call up - I should think he's being peeled off a ceiling at the moment.

Just back from the game. Being Scottish, I was neutral for the day... until Lambert came on. I'm so proud to say "I was there when Lambert won it for England." Being surrounded by other Saints fans also helped make the moment.

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better outcome from that game.

Edited by tartan_saint

Was working until about midnight and didn't see the score until then. Couldn't believe my eyes at first, I'd hoped Lambert would at least get a decent run out and dreamed that he might score. To come on and score the winner with his first ever touch for England, that's just a fairy tale.

Nobody deserves an England cap and goal more than Rickie, a true professional, a nice bloke and a top player. Come on Rickie, now you've got to earn that plane ticket to Brazil.

Incidentally, who was the last Saints player to score for England? Did Crouch manage it before we sold him? Not Bridge, Beattie or Le Tiss sadly. I'm beginning to wonder if it's happened in my lifetime.

Just back from the game and what a night, we just knew it was going to happen and for it to be done with his first touch, wow, just wow.

He got a superb response from the crowd when he came on and to hear them signing Rickie's name during and after the game on the way to the Tube was a bit special, well done fella, proud to be a Saint!

I think he has been a real breath of fresh air to the England team, no WAGS or OK mags just a humble guy that the regular fan can connect with.

Edited by BadgerBadger

Fantastic words cannot express my delight for SRL. So gutted I had to go to work 5-mins before he came on.

I was bouncing in the car & singing Rickie Lambert Englands goal machine when the header went in.

1st touch just 2-mins into his debut what dreams are made of.

Scores the winner & goes of with Wembley chanting his name, can it get any better for the big man.

I was really surprised at the great reception he got on coming on to the pitch! Delighted for him and the look on his face when he scored...........superb!

I noticed that, and was delighted as it showed a recognition and above all respect for the fact that he has really toiled and put tremendous effort in through his career to reach this level, not just another 'protege' who has it all too easy and an England cap drop into his lap.

How much is SRL worth now? even at 31 don't sell him

I assume you missed a critical word out there , "don't", which I've edited for you.

Irony, that at 31, Huddersfield Town could not be able to afford him, despite their chairman a few years ago saying he'd have no resale value at 30 so refusing to pay £750,000.Although to be fair to the bloke he did acknowledge when we were both in L1 that it was his worst ever decision.

I hope The OS have their cameras rolling wen SRL meets up with the rest of The Saints squad and management for training today!!

I just can't get enough of all this adulation from everywhere, not just us totally impartial Saints fans.

Somewhere on here I caught a brief reaction from the TV studio at the end of the game, and Roy Keane was beaming. I think it really appealed to him that

a genuine down to earth pro was getting the plaudits instead of some prawn sandwich scoffing fancy dan golden boy!!

Still can't get rid of the stupid grin on my face.

Soaking in every bit of news about the goal like a huge sponge - god knows what SRL must be feeling like.

Cinderella stooooorrryyyyyy.

From Beetroot Packer, through the bottom leagues to the Premiership.

(note for the press: 15 goals last season, JOINT TOP ENGLISH SCORER AND ROONEY CAN LICK THE SWEAT OFF OF HIS SWEATTY MEATY SWINGERS)

First touch for England-a goal

Almost scored two others.

Rooney........meh, crap, lies about firtness, just can't be arsed.

I was there to see Ricky score against the Sweaty Socks.

And I relish it.

He'll never play for England again. He showed up too many lazy overpaid premadonna bastards. We can't have that. He showed that you don't have to play for the big 4 to get selected. We can't have that. He proved that there are many good players out there, maybe not a skilled as Gerrard, Rooney etc. but almost, who would show them up if given a chance because they would play their ******** out with passion, pride and for the 3 lions. And we can't have that.

Well done Sir Ricky Lambert. You're be all over the papers tomorrow instead of that Lazy clunt Rooney and just so. And you probably put an extra million on your price tag, although you're going nowhere.

That'll do, Rick, That'll do.

Sent from my HP Spectre XT TouchSmart laptop using my big chubby fingers and a Vodafone 3g dongle, hanging out of the window on a USB extention, from my Car whilst my friend revvs the arse out of it with 'We are Southampton' screeming out of my Blaupunct speakers and mine and his Saints scarfs hanging out of the back windows.

I think I've drunk to much.

Quality post :lol:

Awesome, as many have already said, I haven't celebrated an England goal since I don't know when. My visiting sister got the full leap in the air, fist pumping, screaming like a banshee celebration.

As if this man could get any bigger a legend at our club! Pure class from the man. Professionalism and modesty in spades. England would do well to have a few more players like SRL on the plane to Brazil.

Like many a Saints fan worldwide I too am basking in the reflected glory of Sir Rickie's triumph this morning. Bloody brilliant wasn't it?

Having done a bit of packing myself (though not Beetroot's) I must say seeing this genuine working class hero get to where he is now has been a especially pleasing experience - a proper 'Roy of the Rovers' story if ever I saw one. Time will tell how far SRL goes with the national team, but one thing I know for sure is that no one can ever take that one perfect moment in time away from him.

Just back from the game. Being Scottish, I was neutral for the until Lambert came on. I'm so proud to say "I was there when Lambert won it for England." Being surrounded by other Saints fans also helped make the moment.

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better outcome from that game.

Wow. Rickie Lambert, scorer of goals, uniter of nations.

So pleased for him. Emotional when he scored, but made even more so by the crowd's reaction and chanting.

I guess that's because we are a 'neutral' team for most England fans.

Who said friendlies are meaningless?

I was surprised at the positive reaction that he got when he came on. I expected a negative from the 'he's just a donkey' fans who cant see his qualities. i misjudged the average neutral fan.

When he scored he was so pleased and it was great to an English man showing how pleased he was proud to score for his homeland.

After he scored I thought of the guy who stands about 10 rows back in the centre of the Northam who gives him terrible stick about being a' fat lazy #### '

Well there you go RL has shown he is a good player. It was unfortunate that he missed the 2nd chance when the ball bobbled, that will give Hidgson the excuse to say he is not clinical

Reading the comments on Twitter (he was trending) after the game was amazing. So much genuine support and appreciation for Rickie and for the fact somebody had finally arrived in the England setup with love and passion for playing for their country! Makes you proud.

Don't think I've ever yelled so loaud at a goal as I did last night, even when we've scored against p**pey. Saw loads of Saints shirts there last night, easily more than any other club, and couldn't help but have a little chuckle at the dumb skate who threw me a dirty look on the way out, you could tell from his expression he was trying to be happy England won but couldn't! ***t.

That's twice in a week that I have woken up and thought I dreamt something, then realised that it actually happened! That is a great feeling! Firstly, when he was picked for the squad, and secondly, when he came off the bench to score the winning goal in a 3-2 win against Scotland at Wembley.

We were sat right behind Baines when he took the corner, you could just see it coming, Rickie hung in the air and got all his power behind. We went ballistic and it was great that everyone around us who knew we were there just to see Rickie were so chuffed. The crowd were right behind him not sure I have seen an England crowd willing someone on so much since Gazza made his debut.

His was unlucky to hit the post the defender got a little touch and the long ball he took down and laid off as it came over his head was just class.

There was some pathetic Skate shouting Scummer randomly, they really are a bunch of *****s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone else said England look much better with a proper Centre Forward playing. He was pulling the centre halfs apart and creating space wheras they coped with Rooney quite comfortably.

This was amazing.

He comes on, runs around a bit then trots up to the goal mouth for the corner. Whilst the corner taker is getting set I turn to the wife an say "Ricky is awesome at scoring from corners with his head" and what do you know, its in the back of the net.

The sense of pride rushed over me and the wife look pretty impressed that I had predicted it...sort of.

Well done Ricky, I bet you score Saturday too as the euphoria from last night will carry you for the next few games. Such a shame he's not 3 years younger.

This was amazing.

He comes on, runs around a bit then trots up to the goal mouth for the corner. Whilst the corner taker is getting set I turn to the wife an say "Ricky is awesome at scoring from corners with his head" and what do you know, its in the back of the net.

But when did he last score with a header from a corner for Saints then? :)

it was a galling when the commentator said @unfashionable Southampton' but i suppose it is true. never mind in a few years you never know

Someone should have reminded him that without "unfashionable" Southampton the England team would have been three players light. Still at least SRL gave us a glowing recommendation!

There was a good feature about RL on West Country Tonight regional ITV programme in our part of the world, obviously focusing on him as a former Bristol Rovers favourite. Interview with the chairman, and head of the supporters club etc.

Wonder what the 'uddersfield chairman is saying up there ?

I was surprised at the positive reaction that he got when he came on. I expected a negative from the 'he's just a donkey' fans who cant see his qualities. i misjudged the average neutral fan.

When he scored he was so pleased and it was great to an English man showing how pleased he was proud to score for his homeland.

After he scored I thought of the guy who stands about 10 rows back in the centre of the Northam who gives him terrible stick about being a' fat lazy #### '

Well there you go RL has shown he is a good player. It was unfortunate that he missed the 2nd chance when the ball bobbled, that will give Hidgson the excuse to say he is not clinical

has anyone got a clip of this? I missed the last few minutes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10244515/England-v-Scotland-Five-reasons-why-this-was-best-friendly-ever...-Or-at-least-the-best-anyone-can-remember.html

The Best Friendly ever?

2. Rickie Lambert

Son of a beetroot farmer, born with a defective metabolism, 47 years old. No-one could begrudge Rickie Lambert his moment. A first touch goal, a header so powerful it would have bored through the stadium and finally come to a stop somewhere around Kilburn had a net not got in its way, the most genuinely thrilled celebration since that Italian chap lost his marbles at the World Cup in 1982. Incredible

I'll leave you lot to attack the author... Son of a Beetroot Farmer?

Isn't there a new song in that somewhere? But of a Dusty revamp?

:)

Soaking in every bit of news about the goal like a huge sponge - god knows what SRL must be feeling like.

Then for your viewing pleasure, I'll bring a few quickly translated quotes from Danish PL-fans commenting on the goal on a Danish footy site:

"Lambert epitomises the whole of England. He helped Saints get up through the leagues. And then the big final yesterday. Scored with his first touch. There's a hint of Hollywood to it.

I'm afraid he won't get another chance. Sturridge will soon be back and younger players will be introduced to the team. But what a story."

"I'm afraid your prediction will come true. A shame as I think Lambert is an excellent striker and very underestimated. There are few strikers as accurate and dangerous as him"

"I don't get why people are so excited about the game and this English "hero". A friendly at home against Scotland? Even by English standards that's not a huge accomplishment"

"It is the story about a player with no great talent making it to the top. You know, a modern Cinderella. Going from League 2 to Premier League is IMHO f*cking amazing. But to go further and represent the national team is an unparallelled journey in modern football. This is why every football romantic is excited and happy about Rickies story and journey"

"Yeah ok, I can see the beauty in that part of the story :)"

"I think Lambert was only included because Carroll was injured. Hodgson will probably want a big striker at the WC and here I see Lambert and Carroll as the only candidates. Apart from the age issue I don't really see why Carroll should be ahead of Lambert. Lambert is a technically better player and Southampton's tactics are more similar to the way Hodgson wants England to play - at least compared to West Ham. This may also influence his choice."

So seemingly a lot a fans know about Lambert's journey - and they seem to share our joy :)

Hope your sponge liked the above quotes...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2394932/Rickie-Lambert-A-real-hero-Unvarnished-joy-scoring-England-perfect-antidote-selfish-modern-superstar.html

Rickie Lambert’s winning goal at Wembley on Wednesday came at the perfect moment, and not only in the context of England v Scotland.

It was wonderfully timely, too, for those of us steeling ourselves for another season of absurdly well-remunerated Premier League footballers feigning injuries and spouting platitudes, in thrall to nobody but their agents, and viewing every international cap — even in a season which culminates in a World Cup — as little more than another bargaining chip to extract an improved sponsorship deal.

It would be terribly cynical to cast all leading players in this unflattering light, yet terribly naive to assume that more than a handful of them understand what an enormous privilege it is to be so extravagantly feted and rewarded for playing football. How often do these men talk disparagingly about representing their country, citing the pitfalls — such as the unutterable ‘tedium’ of being holed up in a five-star hotel — rather than the pride?

Lambert is cut from different cloth. ‘I’ve tried to play it calm all week when all I wanted to do was scream,’ the Southampton striker said, after scoring with his first touch in international football. He meant the screaming excitement of being with England, not the screaming boredom, or the screaming potential for personal enrichment.........

It means so much to us, too, to hear an England player speak with such guileless, unvarnished emotion about his country. What a welcome counterblast it is to the notion that the Champions League first and the Premier League second are what really matter on a player’s c.v., and that the main advantage of international football is the prominent place it affords him in the shop window.

Either that or the chance, as in Wayne Rooney’s case this week, to accrue useful game time. How apt, incidentally, that it should have been the largely ineffectual Rooney whom Lambert replaced.

I know it's some forward projection, but has anyone contemplated how not getting picked throughout the season for England could negatively affect Lambert's contribution to Southampton; or further down the line, if he had a terrific season and wasn't taken to Brazil could that kill off his drive?

I just watched his FATV interview, having previously thought it was the Gabriel one from ITV and his last line was, "I hope a scenario will come along that'll better this in a few months...well in a year or so." I think Brazil is everything for him now. It'll drive him this season and I reckon he'll be even better than before, but if that call-up didn't come it may ruin him.

Can only echo what everyone has said, its is an amazing story. The Mirror said his call up was not about the future of England but a reward for a player that has put in the hard yards, I think we have come obsessed with the future of England that we have forgotten that caps can be used as rewards as well, it's topped of Rickies career stats and in true Lambert style he seized the opportunity and smashed it.

Rickie has undoubtedly been brilliant for us and has earned legend status, but we have also been good for him. He provided the goals and we provided the vehicle for him to move up through the divisions, together we have been able to fulfil each others aspirations; I guess that's the perfect relationship.

On the point of the Huddersfield chairman, he set out his thinking and made a decision based on financial risk. He can't be blamed for that as he is at the helm of a club that have been in financial trouble a few times. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

On a sour note I do fear the two misses will be more important in the minds of the English management than the goal, lets hope Roy buys into the romance of the situation and gives him another go.

Well done Rickie.

This Daily Mail article is a wonderful heart-warming read, I recommend it.

It seems nobody has a bad word to say about our Rickie, which is a refreshing change. I would now expect to see more pictures of him whenever the Premier League is promoted.

This Daily Mail article is a wonderful heart-warming read, I recommend it.

It seems nobody has a bad word to say about our Rickie, which is a refreshing change. I would now expect to see more pictures of him whenever the Premier League is promoted.

That was already noticeable on the Daily Fail Sport Home page in a pre-season review.

Rickie is a name & a face now, not just that bloke down at Southampton.

I am sure it won't affect him but I do hope that he doesn't get bombarded and distracted by Agents wanting him to model underwear, advertise Pizzas or beer and all of that nonsense. (Yet at the same time I'd wish him well on what extra money he can earn off it for the future of his family)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rickie-lamberts-parents-joy-rise-2172904

The parents of England’s new rags-to-riches football hero Rickie Lambert last night proudly declared: “It’s only what he deserves.”

Maureen Lambert and husband Ray were still celebrating after their striker son, 31, bagged the winner with his first touch against Scotland at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Maureen said: “We all went down to Wembley, about four car loads all from Merseyside, all of his friends and family.

“It was brilliant.”

Father Ray said: “We were sitting with the family and when he scored me and the missus got up and hugged each other.

“We were made up. She was crying and I was nearly crying. We’ve had a few proud moments - we will always be proud of him.

The call up to the England squad came on a big day already for the Lambert family as that morning Rickie’s wife had given birth to their third child.

And on top of becoming a father once more, news of the national team call-up left the Southampton forward bouncing with joy.

Ray said: “He phoned me up and it was a bit of a shock. He was like a kid in the sweet shop, so happy and it was so lovely.”

Maureen added: “It was lovely, he had only just had a baby and then he got the call up.

“We knew about the baby because that was at 4.30am, then he just rang us at about 1.15pm on the day and said his manager had just rang him up to say that he had been called up.

“He was so excited, he felt like a little kid. It’s only what he deserved.

Edited by trousers