Pablo Piatti

Dazza82

We have been linked with a move for Pablo Piatti from valencia can play on the left or right or even as a forward. Seems like the kind of player we would be looking at.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/424014/Premier-League-interest-in-Everton-and-Celtic-target-Pablo-Piatti-confirmed

Was he linked in a different paper? That Express article does not mention us once.

"Pablo Daniel Piatti (born 31 March 1989 in Ucacha, Córdoba) is an Argentine professional footballer who plays for Valencia CF in Spain. He operates mainly as a left or right winger, but can also play as a second striker or a forward."

Definitely not suited to our system ;)

Still think we need one more tbh.

I know it's early days and our new boys haven't gelled, but we need to be able to move the ball quicker and I think we need to exploit counter attack opportunities with more direct (not necessarily route one) balls at times.

We don't score enough goals by playing defence splitting balls for attackers to run onto. We always seem to go for the wide option and look to hit hopeful crosses into the box. This might be because of the idiot behind me in the Northam who never stops shouting "Go wide!" though.

or....can he stand by a post for corners ....without bring told ?

We went 0-1 down to the smallest Sunderland player heading in with both posts undefended. We then failed to have anyone on the posts for every Sunderland corner after that. Perhaps it's the new way?

He's only 5ft 4 - too small for the premier league I think

If we're going to sign a player of that type we should go for Manuel Lanzini from River Plate

Dyer, Lennon, Tevez, Hernandez, BWP etc

See a theme emerging? You don't need to be tall to play off the wing.

We went 0-1 down to the smallest Sunderland player heading in with both posts undefended. We then failed to have anyone on the posts for every Sunderland corner after that. Perhaps it's the new way?

Citeh had a bloke on the post today, didn't make one iota of difference when Campbell scored fron a corner. What we should be looking at is the failure of the 3 kids to pick up their man systematically at corners. Perhaps it's something that comes with experience.

There seem to be two possibilities:

1) it's long been noted that marking posts leaves two defenders wasted not marking or attacking the ball. The few times they clear it off the line don't make up for the increased number of times the opposition will win the header. Man mark properly and you out number the attackers and have a keeper to get the ball. Not perfect, but by far the best system and most accountable. The man on the post thing is just very lazy punditry.

2) fans on football forums have noticed a brilliant defensive tactic that countless top level managers and coaches across the world have failed to spot.

Or to be more accurate 3) Some clubs do it (including Man City today at times, including for Cardiff's 3rd goal), some don't and its a question of individual teams' tactics.

There seem to be two possibilities:

1) it's long been noted that marking posts leaves two defenders wasted not marking or attacking the ball. The few times they clear it off the line don't make up for the increased number of times the opposition will win the header. Man mark properly and you out number the attackers and have a keeper to get the ball. Not perfect, but by far the best system and most accountable. The man on the post thing is just very lazy punditry.

2) fans on football forums have noticed a brilliant defensive tactic that countless top level managers and coaches across the world have failed to spot.

I'm delighted with any praise but esp' from you!

Spreading a bit...

http://www.todomercadoweb.es/mercado-futbolistico/valencia-pochettino-quiere-a-piatti-para-el-southampton-55063

Again Mauricio Pochettino Valencia look closely when planning the Southampton market. After the unrealized interest in Victor Ruiz, former Espanyol have placed in their sights, according to People, Pablo Piatti. The end outside Miroslav Djukic plans this season, came close to committing to Rennes or PAOK. The Greek club awaits his eventual qualification for the group stage of the Champions League to finalize a deal. The Southampton while working to anticipate. For three and a half million euros could be closed recruitment.

I hope this isn't true. I was on holiday in Valencia visiting friends and went to see them play against Seville. He was awful, missed 2 open goals, gave away a penalty and got sent off. The Valencia fans call him the Argentine Micheal Gilkes. One to be avoided.

I hope this isn't true. I was on holiday in Valencia visiting friends and went to see them play against Seville. He was awful, missed 2 open goals, gave away a penalty and got sent off. The Valencia fans call him the Argentine Micheal Gilkes. One to be avoided.

Maybe, but he has very good taste in clothing. That alone should warrant us signing him.

So he's not even up to the Neil McCann standard then ?

Valencia fans have heard of Micheal Gilkes?!!!!?

Good insight Pat. One to miss then.

I wonder what Michael Gilkes is doing these days. Apart from Spanish Dancing on Ice, of course.

I certainly remember his name from FM. Can't believe he's still only 24.

Is probably versatile enough to play in any of the 'support 3' positions.

Think a loan is a sensible option. Best case scenario : He plays like Coutinho. Worst case scenario : He's like another Iago Falque.

Shame we aren't in for the other Argentine midfielder at Valencia.

He's only 5ft 4 - too small for the premier league I think

If we're going to sign a player of that type we should go for Manuel Lanzini from River Plate

Now that would be a good acquisition. At the time the name Lamela first appeared, I wondered why perhaps we did not try buying upcoming South American players direct from Argentina, or Brazil rather than after wait until they had made a name - and clocked up a £12 - 20m price - in Italy.Or in the case of Piatti, until his career has come off the rails a little.

Possibly the answer is uncertainty as to how they settle in Europe, or wanting to see them play in a better league standard, or does playing in Italy first make a work permit easier ?

I read on a site that Roma want Lanzini before agreeing the sale of Lamela, so it would be good to scupper that deal and p1ss the yids off in the process ( Don't forgive them for the Bale deal, and lumbering us with Forecast.)

Edited by Badger

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/robby.snead/348568/southampton-lead-swansea-in-the-chase-for-valencia-s-pablo-piatti

The 24-year-old could make the move to the St Marys Stadium in time for Southampton's next Premier League fixture, in what would be a season long loan deal.

The diminutive Argentine is not a permanent fixture in Valencia's starting line up and could soon follow his former teammate, Roberto Soldado, to the English Premier League.

You seen much of Piatti, then?

Seen a fair bit of him at Valencia and while he is certainly skillful and quick he really is lightweight, even in a less physical league he struggles to cope with it at times.

If he was somehow able to overcome the physical nature of the English game, he would be very good but I don't see it happening.