Transfer deadline day thread (Summer 2013)

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Good heavens, what an interesting cross-section of mankind the forum provides. We are a team that has risen from the pit of league 1, signed an impressive set of players with champions league experience, bred a handful of potentially world class youngsters and 3 games into the season are calling for the head of our manager whose barely completed 9 months in the job.

Yes that players are adapting to a step up, a new formation and some new partnerships. Yes the players that are outbound, don't meet the newly set standard of our team / ambition.

That being said, we've got no pace, Pocheticherino has no idea what he's doing (why hasn't he learned english yet?), Lambert has lost it, Osvaldo disrupts the team, Wanyama is the new Ali Dia (I should know) - we need forte / puncheon up top and billy sharp ahead of our italian international striker.

:mcinnes:

I'm not sure why people are so black and white about people coming back from injury and being on the bench. Perhaps Clyne said that after Barnsley he was ok but feeling it a bit, Shaw likewise. There's never an absolute cut-off when returning from injury unless you are so cautious that you hardly play anyway. It's all about the management of risk and it seems perfectly feasible to have someone on the bench who _ideally_ you would wish to rest but not play unless necessary. As it happened Fox didn't let us down and Chambers (and JWP) were caught out by raw pace and a little inexperience. I'd prefer Clyne but Chambers is a great back-up to have, and he'll have learnt from the experience.

West Ham look horrendously short of a striker with the ever injury prone Carroll still out.

Their transfer policy is the most laughable in the League. That, plus Jack Sullivan the 13 year old son of David, tweeting about all their negotiations. They will be looking to get Ba but will end up re-signing Carlton Cole I reckon.

Their transfer policy is the most laughable in the League. That, plus Jack Sullivan the 13 year old son of David, tweeting about all their negotiations. They will be looking to get Ba but will end up re-signing Carlton Cole I reckon.

Ba is off to Arsenal isn't he?

So looks like nothing today then. I'm a little disappointed that we are weaker on the right now than when the window opened and we have very little pace. We have clearly strengthened well in other areas though like cb which appears to be a great buy. I do think if we fail to strengthen on the right it will haunt us.

So looks like nothing today then. I'm a little disappointed that we are weaker on the right now than when the window opened and we have very little pace. We have clearly strengthened well in other areas though like cb which appears to be a great buy. I do think if we fail to strengthen on the right it will haunt us.

Would say RB is stronger for the emergence of Chambers, he and Clyne are an excellent set. Further forward, yes we could perhaps use someone who can beat a man....but overall the window has been very, very good. All teams always want "one more".

Happy with the overall strength, happy with the right from a first team point of view but I am a little worried that we seem to have no plan B, I was hoping Mayuka would provide pace should we need to change things dramatically. But now its only the unproven Isgrove (who I think is decent)

Sharp deserves his chance in the barclays premier league

Today's loan move of Mayuka has me recalling that his signing led to Sharp moving down the pecking order and going out on loan. Could Mayuka's move signal that Sharp is about to be given his long awaited chance? Sharp himself doesn't indicate any moves are imminent and is at home with his wife and son.

Today's loan move of Mayuka has me recalling that his signing led to Sharp moving down the pecking order and going out on loan. Could Mayuka's move signal that Sharp is about to be given his long awaited chance? Sharp himself doesn't indicate any moves are imminent and is at home with his wife and son.

Pochettino has said at least 3 or 4 times that he is "not counting on" Sharp and he can find another club. Don't see why that will change.

He hasn't been training with the first team etc...

Not sure how you can think we are weaker now than before the window opened. Louvren has unquestionably improved the defence. The addition of Wanyama to Cork and Schneiderlin for DM gives us better strength in depth than last season when we had to play S Davis there. Osvaldo didn't get to be Italy's number 9 without having something about him. He's only had about 90 mins for us so far so it's too early to tell whether he'll

be a hit or a miss.

Of the players leaving Puncheon and Mayuka were only ever going to be bit part players at best. As far as pace goes, it's going to come from speed of thought and speed of passing the ball rather than outright leg speed, as well as the overlapping play of our fullbacks and Isgrove off the bench.

Pochettino has said at least 3 or 4 times that he is "not counting on" Sharp and he can find another club. Don't see why that will change.

He hasn't been training with the first team etc...

The club blocked a move to a premiership club for Sharp - get the feeling that Sharp is now making a point.

Either let me make my prem move or ill sit out my contract. Fair enough imho he's always wanted to play in the prem so why should he move to the championship or SPL just becuase the club dont want him in the premiership,

I'm not sure why people are so black and white about people coming back from injury and being on the bench. Perhaps Clyne said that after Barnsley he was ok but feeling it a bit, Shaw likewise. There's never an absolute cut-off when returning from injury unless you are so cautious that you hardly play anyway. It's all about the management of risk and it seems perfectly feasible to have someone on the bench who _ideally_ you would wish to rest but not play unless necessary. As it happened Fox didn't let us down and Chambers (and JWP) were caught out by raw pace and a little inexperience. I'd prefer Clyne but Chambers is a great back-up to have, and he'll have learnt from the experience.

Ah Sue... Cutting through the depressing drivel and WUM's with a sharpened ski pole... ;)

I think that's all perfectly reasonable and even likely. Top post.

I'm sure Pochettino rates Clyne and Shaw above Chambers and Fox but you have to be able to trust your backup options, or what's the point of them being here? Hence Mayuka on loan for a year.

I spoke to billy on twitter last night and he said he's not coming back after that tweet you sent him for not celebrating our result

The club blocked a move to a premiership club for Sharp - get the feeling that Sharp is now making a point.

Either let me make my prem move or ill sit out my contract. Fair enough imho he's always wanted to play in the prem so why should he move to the championship or SPL just becuase the club dont want him in the premiership,

I see what you did there.

Would say RB is stronger for the emergence of Chambers, he and Clyne are an excellent set. Further forward, yes we could perhaps use someone who can beat a man....but overall the window has been very, very good. All teams always want "one more".

Nah don't agree it's not about having just one more. You could argue we could do with another cb but I'm not too fussed about that. We needed pace since before last summer and certainly someone on the right but luckily punch stepped up last year so it wasn't so obvious. Have now lost him and mayuka.

Not sure how you can think we are weaker now than before the window opened. Louvren has unquestionably improved the defence. The addition of Wanyama to Cork and Schneiderlin for DM gives us better strength in depth than last season when we had to play S Davis there. Osvaldo didn't get to be Italy's number 9 without having something about him. He's only had about 90 mins for us so far so it's too early to tell whether he'll

be a hit or a miss.

Of the players leaving Puncheon and Mayuka were only ever going to be bit part players at best. As far as pace goes, it's going to come from speed of thought and speed of passing the ball rather than outright leg speed, as well as the overlapping play of our fullbacks and Isgrove off the bench.

Oh dear. I don't think you read what I said properly.