Transfer deadline day thread (Summer 2013)

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

more weak points.

Lots of foreign players come to England and fail to make the grade here.

Our youngsters have been developing with the English footballing culture in the background, so more quickly understand how things are when the hit the first team.

But they havn't played in the PL, that was your point! And yes, lots of foreigners have failed to make the grade in the PL, so have many, many domestically trained players. Nationality is immaterial to a certain degree, talent and attitude on the other hand are not. Many academy players have also failed to make the grade.

Back to the key point, You seriously maintain that we havn't benefited from signing the three players we have?

But they havn't played in the PL, that was your point! And yes, lots of foreigners have failed to make the grade in the PL, so have many, many domestically trained players. Nationality is immaterial to a certain degree, talent and attitude on the other hand are not. Many academy players have also failed to make the grade.

Back to the key point, You seriously maintain that we havn't benefited from signing the three players we have?

Lovren - yes (was hard not to improve). The other two - not sure. I like what I saw of VW and would like it to work out, but worry about the Cork situation. With Osvaldo, I have my doubts about his motivation.

Lovren - yes (was hard not to improve). The other two - not sure. I like what I saw of VW and would like it to work out, but worry about the Cork situation. With Osvaldo, I have my doubts about his motivation.

As you say, time will tell. Until that time has passed we will not be able to tell either way.

Just seen this for what it's worth:

Simon Peach@SimonPeach Retweeted by Eurosport Transfers

Despite reports to the contrary, seems #SaintsFC will not be bringing anyone in on deadline day.

OK, so assuming this to be true, genuine strengthening of the squad, at least on paper, has given way in the last few days of the window to a worrying loss of diversity and flexibility in the squad.

Lets hope MoPo has clear vision of where he is going formation- and tactic-wise, and just needs some gelling time.

Seems strange to let Puncheon and Mayuka go and not look to bring anyone else in. A few key injuries and we could drop from a top-ten team to fighting for survival again!

Maybe Cortese is forcing his arm saying he wants more academy products involved, so we'll see Sinclair/Isgrove more involved this year.

Maybe Cortese is forcing his arm saying he wants more academy products involved, so we'll see Sinclair/Isgrove more involved this year.

Fair point, and seems likely, but definitely a massive risk considering the calibre of opposition in our league. Hope to see them prove themselves, though. :)

Seems strange to let Puncheon and Mayuka go and not look to bring anyone else in. A few key injuries and we could drop from a top-ten team to fighting for survival again!

We were never going to finish in the top 10 this season and look nothing more than a team that's going to battle for survival. We've wasted money in the transfer market and paid over the odds for pretty much every player we've signed.

We were never going to finish in the top 10 this season and look nothing more than a team that's going to battle for survival. We've wasted money in the transfer market and paid over the odds for pretty much every player we've signed.

Oh yea of little faith. What about Arnold Ancastle - signed in 1908 for 3 guineas..

We have won one of our first two away games against an established Premier League team. We murdered another established Premier League team at home and should have won but for wayward finishing (a problem we hope to have addressed by signing a current Italy international striker). We lost narrowly to an established Premier League team away.

This all despite having injuries to our two best full-backs for large parts of those three matches.

Whilst we have not been scoring enough, it's not for lack of chances. Encouragingly, we have conceded only twice in three matches, which is very good (especially given two of those were away).

Yep, we're in all sorts of trouble.

Yeah, we're going down.

Yeah, we're going down f'sure.

To be fair this is probably the much more likely scenario for us anyway, I'm not sure that we will be fighting for survival - but I think we will be closer to the bottom than the top. 2nd season, teams will know that we are decent, points will be harder to come by. Slow progress in this League - consolidation is where we need to be aiming a la Stoke.

We need squad depth and getting rid of both Puncheon and Mayuka with no new arrivals is a massive risk if we pick up a few injuries. I thought we are trying to build a really good squad not just an excellent 1st 11 and if Cork and Jos leave today aswell with no replacements bought then it will have ended up as a slightly disappointing window even with the 3 quality additions as we need decent back ups

We need squad depth and getting rid of both Puncheon and Mayuka with no new arrivals is a massive risk if we pick up a few injuries. I thought we are trying to build a really good squad not just an excellent 1st 11 and if Cork and Jos leave today aswell with no replacements bought then it will have ended up as a slightly disappointing window even with the 3 quality additions as we need decent back ups

Haven't they gone on loan? We may have a clause that we can recall?

Norwich and WBA home and away last year opts...Norwich and WBA away so far this year 3 pts oh and Sunderland at home 0 pts this year 1 pt....yes we're not playing as well as at some points last year but Loveren looks class and the defence vastly improved, Wanyama has had a great gamer an average one and another one ! but he's 22 give him a chance.

Would love to see a Ramirez for Banega plus cash or a Lennon type purchase but no need to worry. A few key injuries and we've actually got some cover except for Loveren and Shaw...

Once Clyne and Shaw are fit and playing they'll provide the width missing right now

"Slightly" disappointing ?

If Hooiveld goes, I am starting to think either we really dont get squad depth or we are financially overstretched.

Cork is just going to be crass over-faith in the new signings, which I assume is similar in the case of Puncheon.

Why did St Chalet close the Mayuka thread? Big difference between a player leaving and the types of discussion that opens up over a generic transfer window day thread. Are we supposed discuss the impact of Mayuka leaving just here then?

It hasn't been confirmed by either club, I guess when they do it can have its own thread.