Transfer deadline day thread (Summer 2013)

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I hope that, if we don't bring anyone in today, people still realise that it has been a great window from us. By miles our best ever and IMO would be easily in the top 5 of Prem clubs (relative to club size).

Agreed. We'll see how the new, unfamiliar players do at other clubs but in terms of adding quality, keeping the existing group together and moving the excess on professionally I think we've done as well as anyone.

If we don't do something stupid like sell cork, I will be chuffed! The three signings made will improve squad imo!

Only thing which is a bit frustrating is the sale of Puncheon, and not bringing in a similar type player. But we should still do better than last year, so progress will be made!

Football fans are just like small children, always wanting one more.

One more would be nice, but i'm very happy with our business this summer, only gripe would be not replacing the pace and directness of Puncheon.

I hope that, if we don't bring anyone in today, people still realise that it has been a great window from us. By miles our best ever and IMO would be easily in the top 5 of Prem clubs (relative to club size).

Oh I agree for the most part, the three players we've signed are of a quality we've not seen since Lawrie's first spell. However, if we are going to play such a narrow system, which does make us quite defensively solid by the way, we need two energetic full backs/wing backs/wide players on both sides as Saturday demonstrated amply. We've got some already - Shaw, Clyne, maybe Isgrove/Mayuka - but with Puncheon going, we need another outlet today who can either push forward as a wing back or a genuine winger. Cresswell from Ipswich from the little I've seen could be a good budget option, especially if Billy moves to Portman Rd as suggested.

Nabil Hassan: "Talks/interest re: Billy Sharp have stalled/cooled. Looking more likely to be a loan move unless breakthrough with #SaintsFC can be reached."

We want the buying club to pay his wages in full, they won't, so billy wants us to subsidise what he loses up until the end of his contract with us. We're not prepared to do that, hence stalemate.

Money grabbing b.....etc

That's what I've heard anyway.

Who needs to go? Martin, Forte, Barnard, Lee and Sharp. Some posters would want Fox and Guly to leave on top of that. Rumours, mutterings at best, of Hooiveld and Mayuka out. Not sure how much money that would bring in really but it would reduce the wage bill by a reasonable amount. Pleased with the 3 players brought in so far but can't help but feel that that the squad is somewhat light in certain areas. It does feel greedy wanting more signings but there are squad numbers not yet allocated which does indicate that there might have been the intention of bringing more players in. What is it, numbers 11, 14, 15, and 19? Would like to see full back cover, a starting centre back to partner Lovren and a couple of pacy attacking midfielders to give the team and squad that added quality and resilience to deal with any injuries.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Puncheon is quick?

Nope, too much start and stop for me. When he´s already beaten a player he loves to stop and make another dribble so I dont think he trusts his own speed either.

Good player, imo overachieved the first half of last year and we should be thankful for that but not a player if we want to make that next step imo.

Nope, too much start and stop for me. When he´s already beaten a player he loves to stop and make another dribble so I dont think he trusts his own speed either.

Good player, imo overachieved the first half of last year and we should be thankful for that but not a player if we want to make that next step imo.

The problem is, now we just.......stop. ;)

Surprised Aaron Martin hasn't found a club yet.

His level is L1, where his wages at Saints are still way off their budgets (and this is a guy who signed from the BSS).

Also I'd like to see us sort out some of our fringe players. But that seems difficult and it'll probably be done over the loan window.

Edited by melmacian_saint

How can you say that ? Its nonsense.

Puncheon has gone. If Cork goes, Gashton stays and VW and Osvaldo dont deliver (still a bit worried that Osvaldo allegeldy turned us down twice), I think its a candidate for our WORST window in history...

Yep Lallana frustrates me too at times ;)

Just assuming you mean him....

Spot on, he gets you off your seat initially as he beats a man with great skill but then it just stops and it goes out for a throw in our something. If Lallana had pace and power he wouldn't be here, put it that way. That's the only reason big clubs haven't spoken about him IMO, still a big talent though. Insane technical ability in those boots.

A few tweets with the #saintsfc hastag suggesting there is a rangerover at staplewood with Lennon as the number plate. I'm sure this is just trolls trying to reel people in, as I doubt that would happen without the skysports reporter camped outside being aware.

However has anyone been near staplewood who can confirm this is rubbish?

Chris Baird to QPR then....According to SKY

Always liked Bairdy when he was here, always have fond memories of that season we just missed out. Don't know why, but maybe deep down I just knew it was the most fun (in terms of winning games) we'd have for a good few years....as it was pretty horrific there on in.

A few tweets with the #saintsfc hastag suggesting there is a rangerover at staplewood with Lennon as the number plate. I'm sure this is just trolls trying to reel people in, as I doubt that would happen without the skysports reporter camped outside being aware.

However has anyone been near staplewood who can confirm this is rubbish?

Just a SKY news cameraman. He might have spotted such a vehicle arriving. Just a hunch.... :)

Puncheon has gone. If Cork goes, Gashton stays and VW and Osvaldo dont deliver (still a bit worried that Osvaldo allegeldy turned us down twice), I think its a candidate for our WORST window in history...

Oh for goodness sake. Had Lallana's shot gone a couple of millimeters to the right on Saturday......

Nurse, nurse, he's gone again !

If we had some eggs we could have ham and eggs, if we had some ham.

Oh for goodness sake. Had Lallana's shot gone a couple of millimeters to the right on Saturday......

That would have papered over the cracks.

Personally, I think it is too early to judge Osvaldo and VW, I was somewhat playing Devils Advocate.

But IMO the Ramirez transfer is clearly going to end in tears. He's failed to start a season well now twice, and next summer it will be some other bullsh*t excuse that prevents him doing a proper pre-season.

Oh yes, theres a World Cup going on next door to Uruguay...

I would have though that would be 2005 summer window when we only spent £90k on that Jamaican (I've even forgotten his name) and a free from Palace.

That would have papered over the cracks.

Personally, I think it is too early to judge Osvaldo and VW, I was somewhat playing Devils Advocate.

But IMO the Ramirez transfer is clearly going to end in tears. He's failed to start a season well now twice, and next summer it will be some other bullsh*t excuse that prevents him doing a proper pre-season.

Oh yes, theres a World Cup going on next door to Uruguay...

Sorry Alpine, I think you are being hysterical. I cannot agree. Our squad depth is immeasurably better then this time last year, we have signed three players who have significantly strengthened our first team, kept all of our young talent which in prior years would have been ripe for the plucking and the only disappointment is losing a player who regardless of ability has had a history of erratic behaviour on loan.

Any weakness currently would seem to be on the side of the manager who needs to back up the squad we have by getting things right tactically, Poch admitted on Saturday he shouldn't have removed Lallana as early as he did... if any negativity should be present currently it should be directed there, not at our transfer activity.

To progress from where we are we will need to invest exponentially more and more in the side for incrementally smaller and smaller levels of improvement. The important thing as fans is not to get too carried away regardless of the clubs big talk.

Edited by Colinjb