Gazzaniga what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Mr X

I am no goalkeeping expert but I do think that any keeper would have struggled with most if not all of those that Liverpool put away the other week. On top of that I struggle to think of many times this season when I have thought that was down to the keeper. Stek hasn't had the cover that FF had last year. Have you ever played in goal? It really isn't that easy when players have time and space to place their shots. You can say he should be doing better all day long but there is only so much any keeper can do. I really don't think he has done a poor job for us.

I think he's been very good and we should sign him permanently, he'll have a year left on his contract by the summer so we won't have to pay much, should be able to cover his wages without issue as we probably already are, and he'd be an excellent option with Forster fit. Though if it's that or signing a DM in addition to the current lot, I think I'd go for the DM first.

• 7 months later...
Possible loan move to Rayo Vallecano mentioned on Twitter.

Would be great for him to get a season of starts under his belt IMO.

I've always thought he was the one player who should go out on loan. Should do him the world of good. Makes you wonder why we didn't do it last season.

Who mentioned it on Twitter? Anyone credible?

@rayoherald: El guardameta elegido por el Rayo Vallecano es Paulo Gazzaniga. Llegará cedido por el Southampton. Desde UK nos aseguran que llega mañana".

Says he is expected to arrive on loan tomorrow.

Not sure how reliable of course but could be why Lewis played 90mins yesterday.

Rayo got relegated from La Liga but Segunda is a decent level and hopefully if true he plays every week.

Nice trip for Kelvin Davis to check up on him of course. [emoji6]

@rayoherald: El guardameta elegido por el Rayo Vallecano es Paulo Gazzaniga. Llegará cedido por el Southampton. Desde UK nos aseguran que llega mañana".

Says he is expected to arrive on loan tomorrow.

Not sure how reliable of course but could be why Lewis played 90mins yesterday.

Rayo got relegated from La Liga but Segunda is a decent level and hopefully if true he plays every week.

Nice trip for Kelvin Davis to check up on him of course. [emoji6]

Fair play & good luck to him if true.

He's more athletic than Kelvin Davis and less crippled by injuries than Steckelenberg. But, he doesn't seem to have the mentality to concentrate for a whole game, and the degree of concentration required from a PL goalkeeper is exceptional.

Agreed. He has all the capabilities (physique-wise..6'5"? ) but seems to lack concentration - which is the vital factor for goalies at Prem. level.

A loan-out will show us whether he's got what it takes for a Prem. standard keeper.

Suggests we will sign two keepers, we can't go through the season, including the PL2 and ELT with 2 senior keepers (assuming we sign McCarthy) and one u18, however good Lewis might be. Maybe it will just be another young keeper, unless we are going to rely on Kelv coming out of retirement in case of emergency.

Les Reed's comments indicate that the loan to Rayo Vallecano is very positive for Gazzaniga's future with Saints. He wouldn't be loaned out if the club were thinking of moving him on and instead they are getting him better prepared for first team action. Nice to see the mention of Paulo gaining experience to prepare for European games, which confirm's the club's ambition as to the level at which they intend to compete.

Les Reed's comments indicate that the loan to Rayo Vallecano is very positive for Gazzaniga's future with Saints. He wouldn't be loaned out if the club were thinking of moving him on and instead they are getting him better prepared for first team action. Nice to see the mention of Paulo gaining experience to prepare for European games, which confirm's the club's ambition as to the level at which they intend to compete.

Think that is club spin

Doubt he will ever be our 1st choice keeper

Think that is club spin

Doubt he will ever be our 1st choice keeper

I agree. After 4 years at the club he's no closer to being first choice than when he signed. When McCarthy joins he'll be down to third choice so he's actually further away if anything. Despite the odd half decent performance he's show little to suggest he can step up to be our number one. He'll probably end up a competent championship keeper.

• 3 weeks later...
They seem to be liking him at rayo although google translate has had a brain fart.

"Gazza. brutal sensations in training, safety and spectacular with both legs scrimmage. Pint of cancerbero with very good benefits"

Has he switched to Rugby?!

Cancerbero (apparently) means goalkeeper, not that that makes it any clearer.

Scrimmage is a very old football term (Norwich actually sing about it in their club song "On the ball, City"), back from when rugby wasn't so far removed from football in terms of physicality. Rugby has "scrummages". Scrimmage is also a gridiron term, which again shows the similar origins of the games.

Oh, and I'd forgotten Rayo Vallecano were in Segunda Liga this season, so it's not much different to him going to a Championship side.