Gazzaniga what are his strengths and weaknesses?

Mr X

Seems a bit of an odd move on the surface....

With Forster due back "possibly before the end of the year" and Steklenberg looking solid with the potential to convert his loan into a permanent move (?), plus the recent signing of "the next Joe Hart" (the lad from Shrewsbury), its difficult to see Gazza getting much first team or U21 action in the medium to longer term.

That said, based on recent performances (end of last season + the U21s + pre-season friendlies) he seems to have gained considerably in confidence, so maybe the plan is for him to be Forster's long term back-up after all, which would obviously squeeze Steklenberg out of the frame...

Or, Forster not going to come back making Stekkers No1 and Gazza No2?

With Forster due back "possibly before the end of the year" and Steklenberg looking solid with the potential to convert his loan into a permanent move (?), plus the recent signing of "the next Joe Hart" (the lad from Shrewsbury), its difficult to see Gazza getting much first team or U21 action in the medium to longer term.

That said, based on recent performances (end of last season + the U21s + pre-season friendlies) he seems to have gained considerably in confidence, so maybe the plan is for him to be Forster's long term back-up after all, which would obviously squeeze Steklenberg out of the frame...

The boy from Shrewsbury is u18, one for the future, 5 maybe 6 years time.

Or, Forster not going to come back making Stekkers No1 and Gazza No2?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13713142.Southampton_s_Bertrand_and_Clasie_still_on_road_to_recovery/?ref=mac

The Saints boss also provided an update on Fraser Forster, who has been out since suffering a serious patellar tendon injury in March.

"He’s doing well, but it’s a long process, we know," he said. "Maybe seven, eight, nine months.

"Ok, he started training again in April. He was starting after the surgery in April his first weeks of rehabilitation. He is outside and that’s good to see, because he is an important player."

Koeman said he would put no timescale on the keeper's return, although when asked if it could be before Christmas he said: "I hope."

Paulo was due to go out on loan before the window shut, but it didn't materialise in the end for reasons beyond his control.

I agree with Saint-Charlie, he really needs a loan spell. Think his confidence was damaged under Adkins and he was struggling with communication too.

Hopefully time and coaching has and will continue to improve that, but he needs to get out and play somewhere. Hopefully that comes soon for him.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Harry Lewis is 17 years old and has been playing for Saints under 18s.

Paulo Gazzaniga is 23 years old and with Kelvin Davis & Maarten Stekelenburg due to leave in the summer of 2016, we need senior keepers other than just Fraser Forster for 2016/17. Even if we sign Stekelenburg next summer, we still really need three senior keepers.

Harry Lewis is 17 years old and has been playing for Saints under 18s.

Paulo Gazzaniga is 23 years old and with Kelvin Davis & Maarten Stekelenburg due to leave in the summer of 2016, we need senior keepers other than just Fraser Forster for 2016/17. Even if we sign Stekelenburg next summer, we still really need three senior keepers.

Fair points sir

That would mean we only have Stek and Kelvin. An injury to Stek would then mean having to put a 17 year old on the bench, and Kelvin in goal!

Personally, I thin Gazza should be our permanent number 2, he looked pretty good in pre-season imo. I certainly feel more confident with him between the sticks than Kelvin (as much as I admire all the latter has done for us in he past).

He made some cracking saves in his very first games, along with some bad mistakes, if I recall.

Best of luck to him!

Cardiff away (which was his 17th match for Saints) was the first one where I saw him make a save and not concede goals I thought he might have saved, and by that point it had become a thing that in 2013/14 he hadn't stopped anything much.

Admittedly I have completely forgotten what he was like in his 11 matches in 2012/13. Either way he's got a lot better since then and continues to improve, and I see no problem with us giving him another deal, he's not that far from being a Prem starter and if the current setup continues he'll be good enough with more experience.

I'm still expecting us to send him out on loan now the FL loan window is open though, especially as he's signed a new deal - that's practically a pre-cursor now.

That would mean we only have Stek and Kelvin. An injury to Stek would then mean having to put a 17 year old on the bench, and Kelvin in goal!

Personally, I thin Gazza should be our permanent number 2, he looked pretty good in pre-season imo. I certainly feel more confident with him between the sticks than Kelvin (as much as I admire all the latter has done for us in he past).

Not if you put a recall clause in the loan agreement.

Say Maarten gets injured mid-game, Kelvin steps in and finishes the game and we call PG back straight away.

Cardiff away (which was his 17th match for Saints) was the first one where I saw him make a save and not concede goals I thought he might have saved, and by that point it had become a thing that in 2013/14 he hadn't stopped anything much.

Admittedly I have completely forgotten what he was like in his 11 matches in 2012/13. Either way he's got a lot better since then and continues to improve, and I see no problem with us giving him another deal, he's not that far from being a Prem starter and if the current setup continues he'll be good enough with more experience.

I'm still expecting us to send him out on loan now the FL loan window is open though, especially as he's signed a new deal - that's practically a pre-cursor now.

I remember being at the Cardiff away game when he got a massive cheer and applause when he finally made a save (and eventually a clean sheet). He'd become a bit of a joke from his recent poor performances and either didn't get that the over-the-top cheering was somewhat sarcastic, or just had the spirit to dealt with it admirably.

The decision to extend his contract seems baffling on the face of it. People struggle to name any game he's performed well in, but even if you can, that's not the point, because being a goalkeeper is all about being solid and unspectacular over lots of games rather than great for the odd game and poor the rest of the time. He's never shown any sign that he can be a reliable keeper at any level really.

sorry I know I will get flak for this but Gazzaniga is a terrible keeper he's shown no evidence of any improvement in the years he's been here. Whenever he plays he looks so panicked and that rubs off on the defence almost immediately. I'm guessing he is a cheap contract for the club to consider this.

Paulo was due to go out on loan before the window shut, but it didn't materialise in the end for reasons beyond his control.

I agree with Saint-Charlie, he really needs a loan spell. Think his confidence was damaged under Adkins and he was struggling with communication too.

Hopefully time and coaching has and will continue to improve that, but he needs to get out and play somewhere. Hopefully that comes soon for him.

another 4 years may give him to time to improve...?. It's a long haul being a young keeper, but Joe Hart finally made it OK ..and Jack Butland is improving ...at last.

.well.... if PG does move (eventually) - we have a better chance of re-couping some of our original fee than if he walks away for nothing next summer.

after 3 years...he has shown little sign of real improvement, and has hardly been outstanding in the U21's. Right now he needs real game time at Championship level.

sorry I know I will get flak for this but Gazzaniga is a terrible keeper he's shown no evidence of any improvement in the years he's been here.

You're right, you will get flak for this, because you are just plain wrong. In the games I saw him play towards the end of last season and in pre-season, he looked a completely different player from the 'rabbit-in-headlights' performances of seasons past. He has improved a great deal IMO. I'm not saying he is ready to be a PL starter, but I'm much more comfortable with the knowledge that he is our back-up now than I was two years ago.

You're right, you will get flak for this, because you are just plain wrong. In the games I saw him play towards the end of last season and in pre-season, he looked a completely different player from the 'rabbit-in-headlights' performances of seasons past. He has improved a great deal IMO. I'm not saying he is ready to be a PL starter, but I'm much more comfortable with the knowledge that he is our back-up now than I was two years ago.

If he is our back up. How come he doesn't make the bench?

He has improved. Whether it is enough, God knows

sorry I know I will get flak for this but Gazzaniga is a terrible keeper he's shown no evidence of any improvement in the years he's been here. Whenever he plays he looks so panicked and that rubs off on the defence almost immediately. I'm guessing he is a cheap contract for the club to consider this.

Not from me you wont. He still looked poor in the recent U21 game against Boro. He just looks like a bloke who has turned up to watch and has been put in goal as the keeper didn't turn up.

• 2 months later...
No way will he. Stek will be back in if fit.

Then gazza will be 3rd choice soon, when Forster is back

I didn't ask 'will he', though. I asked 'should he'.

I'm inclined to say we should encourage and reward good performances with more opportunities. Maarten hasn't ripped up trees, by any means.

Still think he needs a loan, though.

I didn't ask 'will he', though. I asked 'should he'.

I'm inclined to say we should encourage and reward good performances with more opportunities. Maarten hasn't ripped up trees, by any means.

Still think he needs a loan, though.

And I said no way

No way will he. Stek will be back in if fit.

Then gazza will be 3rd choice soon, when Forster is back

And yet last week Stek was our worst keeper in history!! Who couldn't save a single shot on target. Think Gazza managed a save or two, and maybe old school but I personally would reward an excellent performance with another start - might just send a message to others?

And yet last week Stek was our worst keeper in history!! Who couldn't save a single shot on target. Think Gazza managed a save or two, and maybe old school but I personally would reward an excellent performance with another start - might just send a message to others?

it is the way Koeman works

The experts on here will tell you that Stek has had no chance with the goals he has let in recently (despite the fact he should be doing better)

but koeman is very loyal to his players. If Stek is fit, he will play

The experts on here will tell you that Stek has had no chance with the goals he has let in recently (despite the fact he should be doing better)

Did anyone think before the game 'good, Gazzaniga is playing'? However average Stek has been of late.

If he starts against Spurs and flaps at a cross to concede a goal. Yesterday's performance will be a distant memory

Send him out on loan. There is a good keeper in there. We saw some of it today.

He needs proper game time which he won't get here when Stek and Forster are fit.

......and maybe he will, but not yet.

Last season, we only had Gazza and KD (after Forster was injured) and the outcome was like the choice between a rock and a hard place :mcinnes:

If he is our back up. How come he doesn't make the bench?

He has improved. Whether it is enough, God knows

Because young goalkeepers need matches to improve, so he's better served playing for the Dev squad than he is doing nothing for the first team.

I am no goalkeeping expert but I do think that any keeper would have struggled with most if not all of those that Liverpool put away the other week. On top of that I struggle to think of many times this season when I have thought that was down to the keeper. Stek hasn't had the cover that FF had last year. Have you ever played in goal? It really isn't that easy when players have time and space to place their shots. You can say he should be doing better all day long but there is only so much any keeper can do. I really don't think he has done a poor job for us.

I am no goalkeeping expert but I do think that any keeper would have struggled with most if not all of those that Liverpool put away the other week. On top of that I struggle to think of many times this season when I have thought that was down to the keeper. Stek hasn't had the cover that FF had last year. Have you ever played in goal? It really isn't that easy when players have time and space to place their shots. You can say he should be doing better all day long but there is only so much any keeper can do. I really don't think he has done a poor job for us.

Sadoldgit mate!! Every other keeper would have sved some of them its just saints goalies who are rubbish