Hammers in for Lambert?

Saint Charlie

http://www.claretandhugh.info/427/

What a joke of a club they are. Scrambling around for any PL striker they can get their hands on.

Gold and Sullivan up there with the worst Owners in the league for me. No clue about football, rambling on in their programme yesterday about how the Olympic Stadium will generate "hundreds of thousands" new fans for them.

Really hope they go down and fully expect some LOL signings from them on huge money. Amr Zaki anyone?

What a joke of a club they are. Scrambling around for any PL striker they can get their hands on.

Gold and Sullivan up there with the worst Owners in the league for me. No clue about football, rambling on in their programme yesterday about how the Olympic Stadium will generate "hundreds of thousands" new fans for them.

Really hope they go down and fully expect some LOL signings from them on huge money. Amr Zaki anyone?

But harsh to maline Rickie like that!! :D

who is clartetandhugh? Is he their ITK?

Can't see us selling Lambert half way through the season.

Yeah, think he used to work for the Sun.

I wouldn't place much store on the article as theres one every couple of days about various strikers. Plus I doubt we would loan out RL even if another striker did come in.

They are just such a desparate club and have no chance of doing anything whilst those planks are in charge. They are the problem, more so than Allardyce who incidently is the 4th highest paid PL Gaffer and 12th best paid in World football apparantly.

Lambert to WHam?:lol: ..........this is the third time this story has emerged since the summer.

Rickie is on a good thing, almost 32 ... and .......a 3 year contract, and won't always be reguired to start every game.

A house and a new baby ...whatever would possess him to want a move ? Maybe.......a chance to play in the Olympic Stadium for a Championship- level side :smug:

This isn't, in my opinion, such a bizarre story.

I predicted at the beginning of the season that Lambert wouldn't have such an outstanding run this year. In terms of playing ability, he's already peaked and is unlikely to improve in the way that Jay Rodriguez or Dani Osvaldo will. On top of that, Rickie isn't going to get any fitter. If anyone's watched his recent performances, he is playing far deeper than normal and struggles to keep up with the game after half time. For all intents and purposes, I think he's directly comparable to Grant Holt whose quality quickly declined after a more than decent maiden season in the Premier League. He was quickly moved on to Wigan in the most recent transfer window.

However, does this mean that Lambert will be sold this January? Not necessarily. Holt's departure to Wigan came during the summer and, as we know, the Southampton board are generally adverse to making big name moves during the halfway point. Also, Wigan were a Championship club by this point. Should Lambert go to West Ham, he'll be directly competing against Southampton thus reducing the board's incentive in selling him. This is debatable however considering that the Hammers and Saints are competing for different spots in the table. Would Lambert's departure in this sense really have much of an impact on Southampton? Also, does the club really need the money? Holt was sold for around £2 million, apparently. If a similar bid should be lodged for Rickie, I can't see it being accepted. We're not desperate for that amount of cash and he is unlikely to depreciate within six months.

Finally, would his departure actually have much impact upon the team itself? Well, as stated above, his goal tally is far from stellar. Though I'd argue that his overall contribution to the club away from the pitch justifies his continued presence. Lambert is an important character who reinforces mental stability - a consequence of his steadfast loyalty since League One. On a sort of side note, something might be said about his recent on-pitch behaviour though he looked fine to me at Cardiff.

So, what incentive do the club have for selling him? Not really much of one. They're unlikely to bring in anyone to replace him in January, and although his contribution in terms of goals is clearly waning, he would remain a helpful presence for the team. His 'value' is pretty much negligible at this stage, so unless West Ham bid something ridiculous for him (not entirely unlikely - think about their desperate need for a proven striker - supply and demand etc. - and also their past history in making outrageous bids) then the board wont let him go.

Overall, it's unlikely that he'd leave in January - the story might be completely different in the summer, however.

Its funny how some people assume that Lambert is an automatic replacement for Andy Carroll. So they're all of the view that if West Ham need a striker to replace or step in for Carroll, Lambert is the one to do it. For some reason they think big Sam's hoofball approach would be ideal for Lambert. But there's much more to his game than the traditional CF role that Carroll plays.

Can't fault their consistency. Not that it will do them much good, they are a big club but not do not have the sparkling appeal they believe.

Anyway I think West Ham's current problems are as much defensive as offensive, thet don't look the same side as they did before Reid was injured. Diamé looks pretty scruffy most of the time as well compared to last season.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I can imagine this is about as attractive to him, as would be a move to L2 portsmouth.

They are an ugly club to play for. Cannot see any sort of pull what so ever.

I cannot imagine Lambo playing for another team, it would just be odd...and wrong. Can't ever see it happening!

It's been said a brazillion times on here that SRL is more like Teddy Sheringham (though less smug) than Holt/Carroll etc. We, and England need that kind of player, so no point in getting rid. He is an absolute class link player, as per Cardiff. I do hope, however, he isn't undergoing personal stress of some sort as he does look a bit less up than he has done. I 3> Rickie (probably got that wrong.

I predicted at the beginning of the season that Lambert wouldn't have such an outstanding run this year. In terms of playing ability, he's already peaked and is unlikely to improve in the way that Jay Rodriguez or Dani Osvaldo will. On top of that, Rickie isn't going to get any fitter. If anyone's watched his recent performances, he is playing far deeper than normal and struggles to keep up with the game after half time. For all intents and purposes, I think he's directly comparable to Grant Holt whose quality quickly declined after a more than decent maiden season in the Premier League. He was quickly moved on to Wigan in the most recent transfer window.

I wouldn't use "Grant Holt" and "Quality" in the same sentence. The bloke was a battering ram with an eye for goal. Rickie has a far more football-intelligent brain than Holt. This is the media's comparison too, and it rings false to anyone that's actually seen both play.

Sure, as Rickie gets older he'll not be as good as we've seen of him in the past, but IMO he still has a job to do at Southampton for the foreseeable future. A big transfer fee though for a 32 year old may sway things a tad....

I wouldn't use "Grant Holt" and "Quality" in the same sentence. The bloke was a battering ram with an eye for goal. Rickie has a far more football-intelligent brain than Holt. This is the media's comparison too, and it rings false to anyone that's actually seen both play.

Sure, as Rickie gets older he'll not be as good as we've seen of him in the past, but IMO he still has a job to do at Southampton for the foreseeable future. A big transfer fee though for a 32 year old may sway things a tad....

With regards to the Lamert/Holt comparison I really am inclined to agree with you, though I can't shake the feeling of Southampton bias. It's funny because I did see them at Carrow Road last season, and besides Holt's blatant dive towards the end of the match, the two were pretty much the same. However, that whole match was pretty dire with neither team gaining a substantial foothold.

Is there really that much difference between them? I've looked at my stats and Lambert's assists to starts ratio (0.26) is considerably more than Holt's (0.08 ) in their respective maiden seasons in the Premier League. Perhaps there is some objective truth to what you're saying. I really should have qualified what I meant - in terms of physical ability and playing style, I believe the two are very similar. But when it comes to team play and mentality, Lambert is certainly more preferable - though that doesn't factor in the team around them and playing style.

Anyway, good reply!

Edit: fixed accidental smiley

Edited by ratio_decidendi

They're a massive club and have wanted him for a while, hardly scrambling. Anything over £5mill would be good for everyone. It was more interesting to hear we're in for a striker when we said were not going to sign anyone

Big but hardly massive. And yes I think that it is a good idea to help our rivals improve.

If we are indeed in the market for another high quality striker,

I wouldnt have a problem with sending Rickie out on loan to take points off other mid table teams (In the same way as Puncheon) - particularly considering the clubs apparent high opinion of Gallagher.

yes and I'm all for seeing youngsters coming in, but I'd be happier to have this conversation again when the lad's come off the bench and played half-a-season and scored a few goals.

Rickie has another birthday soon (32) , and he hasn't got Rodriguez' pace .... but his first touch /passing is nothing to complain about. IMHO just now - he stays.

He's said that he wants to finish his career at SFC .....and (quite frankly) so do I.

Edited by david in sweden

Too many fans seem to be blind to quality RL possesses in his setting up play,and speed of mind. His set up for JRods second was supreme and yet again he scored. I agree he has little pace but his link up play gives other players with pace the chance to get into the position to score. 2goals in 2ga,ES is hopefully a kick start to his goal scoring this season

I am going back Rickie to score 15 again. Its not that much of a stretch to imagine him scoring another 9 goals this season. I think, even by his own high standards, he has had a slow start in front of goal. But I believe he is just about to hit form. Even when he isn't scoring he has a lot to offer on the pitch. I don't want to see Rickie go now or even in the summer. I reckon he still has a big role to play for our club.

Edited by Saint J 77

However, does this mean that Lambert will be sold this January? Not necessarily. Holt's departure to Wigan came during the summer and, as we know, the Southampton board are generally adverse to making big name moves during the halfway point. Also, Wigan were a Championship club by this point. Should Lambert go to West Ham, he'll be directly competing against Southampton thus reducing the board's incentive in selling him. This is debatable however considering that the Hammers and Saints are competing for different spots in the table. Would Lambert's departure in this sense really have much of an impact on Southampton? Also, does the club really need the money? Holt was sold for around £2 million, apparently. If a similar bid should be lodged for Rickie, I can't see it being accepted. We're not desperate for that amount of cash and he is unlikely to depreciate within six months.

Finally, would his departure actually have much impact upon the team itself? Well, as stated above, his goal tally is far from stellar. Though I'd argue that his overall contribution to the club away from the pitch justifies his continued presence. Lambert is an important character who reinforces mental stability - a consequence of his steadfast loyalty since League One. On a sort of side note, something might be said about his recent on-pitch behaviour though he looked fine to me at Cardiff.

So, what incentive do the club have for selling him? Not really much of one. They're unlikely to bring in anyone to replace him in January, and although his contribution in terms of goals is clearly waning, he would remain a helpful presence for the team. His 'value' is pretty much negligible at this stage, so unless West Ham bid something ridiculous for him (not entirely unlikely - think about their desperate need for a proven striker - supply and demand etc. - and also their past history in making outrageous bids) then the board wont let him go.

Overall, it's unlikely that he'd leave in January - the story might be completely different in the summer, however.

Where the blazes have you come from? You need to post more often.

Could you point us to the post where you did that?

Your credibility disappeared when you compare Lambert with Holt.

And by the way, Lambert is playing deeper as MP wants him to there to create.. a la Rodriguez goal against Cardiff.

Could you point us to the post where you did that?

This wasn't a prediction I'd made public, though I'm happy to PM you a copy of what I'd written at the time if necessary.

Your credibility disappeared when you compare Lambert with Holt.

And by the way, Lambert is playing deeper as MP wants him to there to create.. a la Rodriguez goal against Cardiff.

Yes, I realised that the comparison wasn't the most accurate after posting that. Accordingly, I corrected myself later on by qualifying the statement. I'd recommend reading that subsequent post as you might find it more fitting with your own analysis.

It's important to remember that when comparing players, you're never going to get a perfect fit. Nevertheless, I'd be hard pressed to find another player who followed Lambert's development from the lower leagues to the Premier league, and who also possesses strikingly similar playing and physical characters, as Grant Holt.

This wasn't a prediction I'd made public, though I'm happy to PM you a copy of what I'd written at the time if necessary.

Yes, I realised that the comparison wasn't the most accurate after posting that. Accordingly, I corrected myself later on by qualifying the statement. I'd recommend reading that subsequent post as you might find it more fitting with your own analysis.

It's important to remember that when comparing players, you're never going to get a perfect fit. Nevertheless, I'd be hard pressed to find another player who followed Lambert's development from the lower leagues to the Premier league, and who also possesses strikingly similar playing and physical characters, as Grant Holt.

they both played in all the lower divisions and are of large build, that is where the comparison ends. You are doing RL a massive disservice comparing the 2. RL has made more assists than many midfield players. His touch is sublime and his reading of the game superb. In my opinion he is poor in the air compared to the normal centre forward and wins few headers against the typical british centre half in a 50/50 situation.His quick brain and ball sense makes him get into the position to get goals.

In summary Rickie Lambert is head ad shoulders above Hoult as a forward and should not be compared just because they came through the leagues.