Chelsea build up

Batman

Morenio knows how to play against us. He will play Torres up front,who will tire our centre backs by keep chasing. Then in the 2nd half he will bring on a fresh powerful midfielder and Ba. Our midfield and back line will be tired and that will leave the athleticism of Ba to take advantage

Lambert certainly needs a rest, ideal time as well with the cup game next Saturday. It's anybody's guess what's going on with Osvaldo. Think it'll be another defeat. Nothing to lose so I'd give Ramirez a start.Plenty of positives though as there winnable games to come over January and February, plus most of our first team players returning.Think we will stay around 9th/10th for the rest of the season

Unfortunately think they're finding their stride. We'll need to do very well to get anything, definitely need Morgan back, we're just not the same team without him.

Could be another close defeat I think, but just want to see Wanyama and Morgan back playing together as soon as possible.

Boruc, Wanyama and Osvaldo would make my day as well even if on the bench.

Form is bumpy right now. Still to refind our mojo.

Cant see us getting much from this one sadly :(

Just 2 wins in 11 is a worry, could be 2 from 12 which is gutting after the good start to the season

It's disappointing, but realistically we were never going to maintain the form we showed over the first 10 games. I'm not worried by it, I'm confident we will pick up another 7-8 wins

Can't see anything but a Chelsea win here, to cap a pretty disappointing xmas period. Need to get going against West Brom and February is really big month, need a large points haul from those games. If we don't spark soon a promising season is likely to peter off into 'mid to lower' league mediocrity again.

Overall - good team, weak squad,

Can't see anything but a Chelsea win here, to cap a pretty disappointing xmas period. Need to get going against West Brom and February is really big month, need a large points haul from those games. If we don't spark soon a promising season is likely to peter off into 'mid to lower' league mediocrity again.

Overall - good team, weak squad,

you say again. when were we last?

when was the last time the season was over a few weeks before it actually ends?

Down to the coach now..

Rotation/fitness/form etc..

MP to make the right decision re starting line up etc.

Gallagher in from the start...3 goals in a 4-1 win for the mighty Saints.

Who would have believed that Alan Shearer aged 17 all those years ago..at the Dell v Arsenal could get three in his debut.

I can dream.........Maybe not:rolleyes:

COYS....surprise us.:)

No way Gallagher from the start. He wouldnt start for most Championship teams were he on loan there. Not even some L1.

He is a young lad learning. Getting opportunities due to lack of squad depth. Terry and Cahill wouldn't break into a sweat.

We could win this game. Team will be stronger than of late and Chelsea defence a little slow. Hazard is the key. Keep him quiet and we will get something.

No way Gallagher from the start. He wouldnt start for most Championship teams were he on loan there. Not even some L1.

He is a young lad learning. Getting opportunities due to lack of squad depth. Terry and Cahill wouldn't break into a sweat.

We could win this game. Team will be stronger than of late and Chelsea defence a little slow. Hazard is the key. Keep him quiet and we will get something.

Charlie.........Tongue firmly in cheek:o

Not even a ...told you so after Sam scores his 3 goals.:D

Not having a clue re team selection.....always leave that to MP and some fellow posters.

I assume no one had heard of Shearer before he made his debut:)

COYS

Still believe/hope for a miracle;)

Edited by ottery st mary

Boruc

Clyne fonte lovren shaw

Cork Morgan

S Davis lallana j rod

Lambert/osvaldo.

I'd be tempted to play gaston instead of lambert or Davis as better player but think need lambert a height for set pieces and a Davis work rate vs Chelsea. Would play gaston vs burnley and west brom when the opponents will ask us to break them down

Interesting stat I've got from MOTD - Chelsea have conceded the highest proportion of set piece goals in the league. They've conceded 19 in total, which is third best, but that might suggest a weakness. When Lovren and Fonte are fit we're very strong from those situations but I think Ward-Prowse needs a rest. Worth keeping him in to exploit that?

Chelsea would have consumed a lot of energy against Liverpool yesterday but there bench/squad is super strong. Mata and Demba Ba always seem to hit the jackpot against us. The xmas period is really punishing for most teams apart from likes of city and chelsea.

I would bring morgan and clyne back in. Chambers has done nothing wrong but clyne is a class act. If osvaldo fit I would bring him in for lambert.

Plenty of winnable games in 2014 so we need to get wanyama and boruc back asap. first choice 11 is a match for anybody, but problem is it is a squad game these days. A decent CB and LB cover in Jan could prove the difference between mid table and 6/7th finish. Shaw is bound to miss another 3-4 games at least based on his illness/injury record to date. fox not good enough to cover for 1 game let alone 3-4.

For those not on Twitter

Pochettino says there's still no timescale set for Artur Boruc's return from injury, while @danistone25 has picked up an illness. #saintsfc

Pochettino: “I think we’ve started the season really well. We’ve been able to establish our style and philosophy.” #saintsfc

Pochettino: “We have a young side for one competing in the #BPL but overall our first half of the season has been a positive one.”

Pochettino: “Our project is based around young players. It’s important to nurture young talent.” #saintsfc

Pochettino: “We’re much stronger when all of our players are fit. We’ve been hindered by injuries over the last two months.” #saintsfc

Pochettino: “Our mentality never changes – we want to win our next game, whoever we’re playing against.” #saintsfc

Pochettino: “On Wednesday we will be facing one of the best teams in England and in Europe in #CFC, but we want to win.” #saintsfc

Pochettino: “When all of our players are fit, that'll make us a much stronger group – and then we'll know our potential for 2014.”

Pochettino reiterates that Artur Boruc and @VictorWanyama will not be involved against #CFC on Wednesday. #saintsfc

Pochettino will assess @danistone25’s fitness after he suffered an injury against #NUFC before falling ill over Christmas. #saintsfc

Davis

Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw

Cork Morgan

Davis Lallana Rodriguez

Lambert

MP must be tempted with starting Gaston but I think with Chelsea's midfield, he may have to wait another league game before he gets a start. Davis and Rodriguez's workrate will be vital to helping the full backs out with Hazard and whoever else he picks .Lambert wouldn't even get a look in if we had another fit, able striker, he needs a rest, but Terry and Cahill will need occupying... I genuinely would have liked Guly available for this one so Jay-R could play up top.

We need to win the midfield battle, so Gaston really shouldn't start IMO. We need players who tackle well and distribute the ball effectively, whereas Gaston tries to be too clever and can at times be reckless when tackling. I would look to bring him on later in the game though, should we need some creativity or a different dimension to our attacking play.

For me, that means Morgan, Cork and Davis just ahead of them.

JRod up front with Osvaldo if fit, Rickie if not.

I think the team picks itself at the moment. As a lot have already suggested...

Davis, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Cork, Morgan, Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert.

Subs: Gazza, Chambers, Yoshida, JWP, Reed, Ramirez, Gallagher

I think we may see Ramirez at half time if we go behind in the first half. I've been pretty disappointed with him generally since he's arrived at the club, but I can't deny he looked good on Sunday. His goal aside, he looked to get on the ball, and on the ball he looked a threat. I really hope it's a turning point, but sadly, he has shown flashes before and then gone unnoticed for a few games so I'm not holding my breath.