The Road to Damascus

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

You remember a few weeks ago when our manager said that the Europa League was rubbish and not a competition this club should be involved with? Well it seems MP was being "misquoted" (sic) by those duplicitous press types and we really are massively keen on it afterall:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11026731.Saints_target_Europa_Cup/

Oh and rumours that our season is effectively over in February are without foundation in fact ...

The managers stated opinion of the Europa League from just two weeks ago:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10993958.Poch_is_a_Eurosceptic/

unless we also have footage from the press conference showing him saying that, then it is more of an opinion attributed to him by the Echo.

Perhaps MP has realised he needs to regain a focus on the end of season and talking up there being something to play for.

Perhaps MP has realised he needs to regain a focus on the end of season and talking up there being something to play for.

I agree.

The manager well knows he's now in trouble with much of the fan base because of the manner in which we exited the FA Cup. He must also be aware of the danger of his team losing its sense of motivation now that we have little left to play for this season. Therefore he preforms this sudden 'volte face', blatantly contradicts what he said only a few weeks ago, and the Europe League is now an important objective we are supposed to believe.

I can easily see why he attempting to peddle this transparent lie, but as we spend our lives constantly swimming in a sea of bullsh1t anyway MP deciding to add his two pennthworth seems a drop in the ocean we could do without if you ask me.

I have no idea why he wouldn't be interested in the Europa League. Let's me honest, we have more chance of winning that and qualifying for the Champions League that way than realistically finishing in the top 4 next season. Given that in recent years we've had clubs like Fulham and Middlesbrough each the final, certainly not squads I would consider to be any better as our current squad, we could give it a good shot. Wouldn't matter then if we finish 7th or 15th in the league. Although I do realise that more clubs will be taking the EL more seriously from next season.

I've seen some rubbish that 7th may be enough for Europa League qualification depending on other results (i.e. Man City winning the League Cup, Arsenal the FA cup etc etc etc).

Reading this; http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/ - it appears that 6th would realistically be the lowest place on offer, unless the FA Cup Final is Arsenal vs Man City and they both finish in the top 4. Assuming Man City win the League Cup ...

"Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

I've seen some rubbish that 7th may be enough for Europa League qualification depending on other results (i.e. Man City winning the League Cup, Arsenal the FA cup etc etc etc).

Reading this; http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/ - it appears that 6th would realistically be the lowest place on offer, unless the FA Cup Final is Arsenal vs Man City and they both finish in the top 4. Assuming Man City win the League Cup ...

"Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

So we go for 6th, not easy but could happen, especially if Everton should beat Arsenal in the Cup. All the scenarios are really in our favour however you look at them, won't mean a thing though unless we can beat teams like West Ham.

The winner of the UEFA Europa League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup and from the 2015-2016 season onwards the winners of the previous season's UEFA Europa League will qualify for the UEFA Champions League, the winner entering at least at the play-off round (assuming they do not already qualify through domestic performance), and will enter the group stage if the berth reserved for the Champions League title holders is not used.

So if we come 6th this year. in 2014/15 we're in the Europa cup. win that and in 2015/16 we're the current champions and enter the qualifying stage of the Champs league? Actually it looks like we might miss out by one year. Must go for Europa next year.

I would have been really happy to progress / win the FA Cup but the Europa League is a bit of a poisoned chalice. Theres no way this current squad could cope with an extra 14 or 15 games a season and not impact on the PL performances. The old UEFA Cup knockout system was better imo.

Edited by buctootim

The winner of the UEFA Europa League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup and from the 2015-2016 season onwards the winners of the previous season's UEFA Europa League will qualify for the UEFA Champions League, the winner entering at least at the play-off round (assuming they do not already qualify through domestic performance), and will enter the group stage if the berth reserved for the Champions League title holders is not used.

So if we come 6th this year. in 2014/15 we're in the Europa cup. win that and in 2015/16 we're the current champions and enter the qualifying stage of the Champs league? Actually it looks like we might miss out by one year. Must go for Europa next year.

It says, from the 15/16 season onwards, the previous season winner (i.e from 14/15) will qualify. So if we were to win next season we would qualify for the CL. Too easy, CL qualification here we come, as simple as catching a disease from a bear.

Come on chaps, a European tour would be a massive massive laugh - and even if we slid a couple of places as a result I doubt it would get us relegated. Southern Moldova on a wet Thursday night in November? What's not to like.
Exactly. Would love a Europa League run, would be very enjoyable. Can't quite see us making it at the moment though.

Well, he's not wrong. He did only ever say that he prefers the Champions League to the Europa League and that on a personal level playing in the Europa League would feel like he'd failed to get into the Champions League, but that for Southampton it would be a good thing.

the road to dumb arse-kiss was only second post in

Edit: soz i don't really think that, i just wanted to share that v.amusing joke!

But many of the early round games are against lamentably bad opposition where you could in theory put out and extremely weak side and still hope to win.

You must be having a laugh here....MP would be run out of town if he dared do that...Nope!...He has to play the best 11 deemed by saints fans for every game....sprains, torn ligaments and broken legs included!

But many of the early round games are against lamentably bad opposition where you could in theory put out and extremely weak side and still hope to win.

So its a bit like the FA Cup or Carling Cup then. Place will go into melt down if we were to qualify, put out a strong team, but with one or two first choice players missing and then we lost. It would probably mean the rest of our season would be pointless. As things stand we do not have anything like the resource to compete effectively in the Europa League, it would probably mean recruiting between 8-11 decent players this summer (assuming no-one leaves), that might have a disastrous effect on our team morale, especially if we were to recruit pirate look-alikes. Can't wait for away games in Ukraine, would be a fun trip.

He is simply backtracking in the wave of protest , would have given him a bit more respect if he stuck to his guns, I wonder what team he will put out this weekend. Guly perhaps?

Not true I'm afraid I thought people had been twisting what he said. Posted this earlier in the week. Agendas people.

Has MP been misquoted on Europa League? I recall him saying not a competition that interest him when talking about CL which is not the same as saying does not want to qualify. Moot point after Saturday anyway,

:facepalm: My God, there are some dullard MP apologists around, aren't there? There's a time and place to put out a weakened team: relegation or CL places to worry about/fight for, or lower division opposition in early rounds. We don't complain then. But a late round match, with nothing significant left to play for in the league, is not one of them.

:facepalm: My God, there are some dullard MP apologists around, aren't there? There's a time and place to put out a weakened team: relegation or CL places to worry about/fight for, or lower division opposition in early rounds. We don't complain then. But a late round match, with nothing significant left to play for in the league, is not one of them.

Tbh mate you are getting tiresome saying same thing each time. Fwiw I totally agree with you but saying same thing constantly is boring

unless we also have footage from the press conference showing him saying that, then it is more of an opinion attributed to him by the Echo.

Perhaps it's because he has a new boss now. New ideas within our station.

Are Damascus Town looking like qualifying too?

Damascus Saint will be pleased, he'll arrange B&B for all of us & the Shuttle Bus across from Beirut Airport. Table for 30 at Old Town Restaurant then.