England call up FOUR Saints players

Saint-Armstrong

Were four of Shilton, Wright, Armstong, Williams,or Danny Wallace ever in the same squad at any stage ?

Seem to recall Shilton, Wallace and Williams playing a friendly against Egypt once. Can't recall if Wright was involved. c 1984.

Shilton rarely missed an England game, which explains why he is Saints' most capped player. (49 times). I think we did have 3 players on the pitch at the same time on at least two occasions, in that period and that would (most likely) have been ; Shilton ......PLUS a combination of (either)... Armstrong ... AND/OR Steve Williams... AND /OR Mark Wright.

If I get time...... I'll check it out just to stop me from staying awake trying to figure it out.

One of the matches was v Turkey (not Egypt as I suggested earlier - knew it was somewhere down that region !) but it was 1984 , and involved Shilton, Wright and Williams (not Wallace) so some things still register !

http://www.11v11.com/matches/turkey-v-england-14-november-1984-238823/

[video=youtube;Xn9I28-_g_4]

Another match with three Saints might have been Armstongs debut v France in Paris.

..well, not for them it isn't

For all of them and us fans. I doubt there is a player in the squad who isn't determines to get these four on the plane to Brazil (not to mention Gaston, Yoshi, Dejan and if Portugal get a couple of injuries, Fonte).

We are a team. I doubt people like Osvlado or Kenwyne would give a flying f**k if their team mates go to a World Cup but our team is better than that.

Surely must be some who think this might be bad for us? After all league position is everything and they wont get a break this summer if go to WC.

Remember plenty of 'don't give f*** about the Poland game' posts back before we qualified so assume this an annoying distraction for them? and it may mean additional games like that pesky Europa League.

Surely must be some who think this might be bad for us? After all league position is everything and they wont get a break this summer if go to WC.

Remember plenty of 'don't give f*** about the Poland game' posts back before we qualified so assume this an annoying distraction for them? and it may mean additional games like that pesky Europa League.

If I had to bet I'd say England finish runner up in the group and lose the 2nd round, which would be 4 games.

Baines will play pretty much every minute if fit. Shaw wont play.

Lallana will probably be an impact sub or if not the first one subbed off if it's not going well.

Lambert will probably be throw on with 20 minutes to go if we're losing.

JRod probably wont go at all.

All in all, I doubt the WC will be too exhausting for Saints English players.

As pleased as I am its worrying for English football, Shaw will be an amazing footballer for England in years to come, Lallana is a good squad player as probably Rodriguez but Lambert? I am struggling to see a worse squad and I am going back to the **** days of Palmer, Thomas etc etc.

We need to sort out the Premiership so our National side can thrive, we can not do it all alone.

As pleased as I am its worrying for English football, Shaw will be an amazing footballer for England in years to come, Lallana is a good squad player as probably Rodriguez but Lambert? I am struggling to see a worse squad and I am going back to the **** days of Palmer, Thomas etc etc.

We need to sort out the Premiership so our National side can thrive, we can not do it all alone.

Shut up and sit back down barry you skate bellend.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A classic post from a non England fan, I am happy for the Southampton players but sad at the fact they have to know look beyond the top top teams for English players, sit down, relax and think before you post, think before you do anything may I suggest.

WA2558376.jpg

Its not that bad is it?

Have to agree with Baz on this one - Ricky is barely playing well enough to justify his spot with us, let alone represent England. As a reward for his amazing rise to the top league, well done; but as a selection on form, no chance. For all that, well done to our fab four - Luke Shaw, you little beauty.

These selections, plus recognition for Chambers, Clyne, JWP show how well we are going and how well we are coached.

Also show how ridiculous posters are slating our players - all four have had unfair criticism.

Perhaps they will learn?

Proud day

Have to agree with Baz on this one - Ricky is barely playing well enough to justify his spot with us, let alone represent England. As a reward for his amazing rise to the top league, well done; but as a selection on form, no chance. For all that, well done to our fab four - Luke Shaw, you little beauty.

Lambert is questionable based on recent form but that only highlights the lack of options in one position for England.

Shaw, lallana and Rodriguez have been consistently very good all season and deserve to be there. There are no other Englishmen in their positions who deserve to be there ahead of them.

A lot of people I've chatted with who are non-Saints fans agree that Shaw should go. I'd be perfectly happy with Baines starting, he deserves his chance. Cole is world class, but he's had plenty of tournaments, and with our chances of winning theres no point in him going. Definitely last chance for J Rod, but the selection of Defoe is baffling, his career is winding down, he's gone for a last payday in Canada and for me won't be capable of playing at the highest level in June. So strikers wise I'd like to think it'll be Rooney, Sturridge, then Welbeck/J Rod and Lambert/Carroll. We can forget any far fetched chances for Clyne and Cork. The next few games are massive for a few of our players, especially Rickie, who needs goals now that Fat Sam has suggested Carroll shouldn't have too many problems getting on the plane. He's not as bad as people on here make out, as much as I'd love Rickie to go I just hope it's based on form

Baz is right. When no saints players were making the England sqauds people on here used to bellyache about it being disgusting that players from big clubs who weren't playing well were being selected ahead of our favourites. It should be based on players who are in form. Now one of ours who is out of form has been picked then that's fine. Also makes the endless bleating from a year ago about everyone hating Southampton and Hodgson only picks players from big clubs a little embarrassing as well doesn't it.

IMHO Smalling is a poor right back. He gives you nothing at all going forward and isn't anything special defensively.

the same could be said for most full backs that England like to use. Walker, Baines, Johnson, are all also nothing special defensively but okay going forward. I suspect this is more to do with the way the moern full back is used, many team use them as much for their attacking ability as defensive responsibility these days. Hence the reason why a player like the much maligned James Milner are used by England on the right to cover the full back attacking. You cant have 11 players all galloping forward at the same time.

Baz is right. When no saints players were making the England sqauds people on here used to bellyache about it being disgusting that players from big clubs who weren't playing well were being selected ahead of our favourites. It should be based on players who are in form. Now one of ours who is out of form has been picked then that's fine. Also makes the endless bleating from a year ago about everyone hating Southampton and Hodgson only picks players from big clubs a little embarrassing as well doesn't it.

Barry Sanchez even in the 3rd person is normally correct, most people are too proud to admit that however.

Not that bit really no, our players only really came to the fore when we as a club started doing well. If anything it proves that there is a club bias rather than a focus on individual players' performance.

How many in form English strikers are there at the moment? Lambert's case is very different from the out of form big club players you mention. There aren't really any English strikers who are challenging on merit or setting themselves apart in the way Lambert did when he wasn't being picked. If there were, the comparison might make sense. But there aren't.

Appears you're the only one with bellyache, pal.

Edited by shurlock

Not that bit really no, our players only really came to the fore when we as a club started doing well. If anything it proves that there is a club bias rather than a focus on individual players' performance.

Do you think the two are linked? The club started doing well because these players started performing better? Or are you suggesting that Shaw, Lallana and Rodriguez were playnig just as well last season?

When the alternative to Rickie is a player who has started three games, got no goals and one red card, I would think Rickie would have been devastated to be left out of this squad. Anyway, Roy might be planning to take the knock out matches to penalties :)

Allardyce seemed quite upbeat about Carroll's chances of making the squad. 5-6 goals and a few headed knock ons for his mate Nolan to score and he might just do it. Saturday is the perfect opportunity for Rickie to get back on track. Let's be honest, neither are good enough for the world stage, but nor is Welbeck. Quite sad really that the only position we have an abundance of quality in is left back.

How many in form English strikers are there at the moment? Lambert's case is very different from the out of form big club players you mention. There aren't really any English strikers who are challenging on merit or setting themselves apart in the way Lambert did when he wasn't being picked. If they were, the comparison might make sense. But there aren't.

Appears you're the only one with bellyache, pal.

You're a proper wierdo stalker aren't you pal.

Not really pal - just flushing out s**t when I see it and you happen to produce a lot of it.

Am flattered though xxx

Good to see you're positioning yourself as the mongboard vigilante. :lol::lol:

Doing so by constantly followning me around, making up arguments that dont exist and saying things people said that they didn't. Even posting things said in jest on other forums which you've totally misquoted in pathetic attempts to make a point that doesn't even exist. Excellent work pal, it's me that should be flattered you devote so much time to what i post. :lol::lol::lol:

Good to see you're positioning yourself as the mongboard vigilante. :lol::lol:

Doing so by constantly followning me around, making up arguments that dont exist and saying things people said that they didn't. Even posting things said in jest on other forums which you've totally misquoted in pathetic attempts to make a point that doesn't even exist. Excellent work pal, it's me that should be flattered you devote so much time to what i post. :lol::lol::lol:

Misquoted - keep telling yourself that sunshine. Called out might be another description.

As you like to check my posting history and tell me how many of my posts are about you :lol: -currently four posts in my last 50+- I wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression.

Misquoted - keep telling yourself that sunshine. Called out might be another description.

As you like to check my posting history and tell me how many of my posts are about you :lol: -currently four posts in my last 50+- I wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression.

Oh no sunshine, thats definitely how it is!! Called out don't make me laugh. Following me around, copying things I say, quoting me from other forums in compeltely unrelated threads to prove your invente point, now cecking your post history now to see what you've said about me. :lol::scared:

Still you keep "playing the post not the poster" :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Turkish

Probably one of the most positively themed threads ever in the Saints history, with four Saints players being recognised internationally by England at the same time, and the thread is still ruined and hijacked by the usual suspects with a load of pathetic point scoring rubbish and repetitive nonsense. Like a large number of other threads always are too.

Congrats to the four involved - really hope that all four of them can make that final flight to Brazil. Will certainly make watching England (more) exciting!

Would it be embarrassing to be wrong about a comment on football? It's not wrong regardless, but the fact that I'm yet to see you admit being wrong on anything, and proclaim being right every thread when stating the obvious suggests you're more preoccupied with embarrassment and massaging your ego than most. Which is fine, but I'm not convinced someone as right as you should need to point it out quite so much? Maybe every other post you could sit back and enjoy your rightness and let the forum breathe in its own incorrect futile existence once in a while?

You're adamantly anti-Saints fans most the time on here it seems, so when it comes to England any sensible discussion needs to take Saints out the equation to be worth anything. I think there's still a big club bias with England, always has been. Look at good players now like Sterling and Henderson. Both deserve their call-ups now, look at what they've done this season, improvement, first team football, consistent performance. That's everything that should earn you a call-up. So why did they receive previous call-ups based on next to nothing? It didn't help them, they got fairly unfair criticism. Those call-ups simply wouldn't have happened if they'd been at small clubs.

Same with Welbeck. I don't dislike him and he's done well for England overall, but there's just no way he'd have made the squad with those league performances if he'd been at a smaller club. Cleverley? He's bad, not as bad as made out, but again, no chance he'd be in there if at a lesser club. If Cleverley played for Hull, would he even be displacing Huddlestone and Livermore? I'm not convinced. Would Huddlestone be in the squad if he still played for Spurs? He's a very tidy, composed player and CMs like him aren't exactly in abundance. Caulker has come back in now, but wasn't in consideration before injuries. Would this be different if he was still at Spurs? Would Shawcross have had a chance by now if he didn't play for Stoke?

I don't mind sticking with players who are out of form at club level, you can't change things every other month, but players need to earn their call-ups and then prove themselves. Someone like Cleverley IMO hasn't proven it at club level or international so it seems unfair on other players. Hodgson said himself it's pleasing to see more players starting every week for their clubs, so hopefully things will soon change. Man Utd will clearly sign players and Cleverley will have to improve 10 fold or leave. We'll see if he still gets call-ups then. Townsend is another one, someone I really don't rate at all. But that could be more media hype than club, as he's getting in ahead of Lennon who has previous caps and has contributed a hell of a lot more to Spurs than Townsend.

Of course, it's apples and pears. If there were strikers out there on a hot run of form, it might be double standards to claim that an out of form Lambert gets or should get picked. This was the very situation Lambert faced last season, albeit the shoe was on the other foot.

But it's not double standards as the mongboard great and the good suggest. Whereas I can name lots of decent midfielders who deserve a look in ahead of Cleverly, I struggle to think of the same for Lambert. Lambert may be **** at the moment but the alternatives are even ****er. It's all relative -and for what it's worth Lambert remains the 4th highest English scorer in the league. A half-retired Defoe typifies how shallow the talent pool is.

Ultimately, it doesn't change my opinion that Carroll will go instead of Lambert to the WC.

Edited by shurlock

to a degree, form needs to be overlooked as by the time Brazil comes round players may have either found it or lost it. If players have been shot for quite a long time then I don't see why they should be selected. I agree with W G that Ricky does what Hodgson is looking for. Leads the line and collects it to feet linking the play. That's what he is really good at. That and pentalties of course.