England call up FOUR Saints players

Saint-Armstrong

Well Cleverly is still in the squad so the bar can't be that high. In fact Cleverly must be wondering just how bad he has to play to get dropped.

If he wasn't in the extended group there wouldn't be enough Utd players...simples.

I though Defoe was injured, must have made a miracle recovery I suppose.

Amazing. Only Man U have more players in it than us.

Liverpool have atleast 5.....Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge?

It is a huge squad for 1 friendly!! 4 keepers...whats the point?

Big question marks over Smalling, Cleverley, Defoe and Townsend for me....not sure how they've made the cut.

Are people surprised? Seriously. I mean congrats but this was obvious.

What is surprising is that the only 2 right backs that are named are walker and Johnson. Liverpool fan in our office (yes he has never seen them live) can't believe Johnson has been picked. Hodgson has opted not to get anyone else blended into the squad before the world cup. Could be risky if Johnson's fitness fails.

Are people surprised? Seriously. I mean congrats but this was obvious.

What is surprising is that the only 2 right backs that are named are walker and Johnson. Liverpool fan in our office (yes he has never seen them live) can't believe Johnson has been picked. Hodgson has opted not to get anyone else blended into the squad before the world cup. Could be risky if Johnson's fitness fails.

Not really, Smalling covers the position fairly well actually and you need to stop dreaming about Clyne.

We seem to really lack a mobile ball winning defensive-midfielder. Guess maybe Henderson can provide this but he seems more box-to-box. Can't think of too many options apart from Cork and Noble though either would be more deserving of a place than Cleverly - not sure what he contributes.

From one extreme to the other - a thoroughly deserved call up for Luke Shaw. A thoroughly undeserved call up for Tom Cleverley.

Glad to see Rodriguez has been given another go. I thought he looked quite nervous before he took to the field for his first appearance, hopefully he can do better, we certainly know he's capable of it.

News to put a smile on your face, 4 Saints players, FOUR SAINTS PLAYERS!! Called up to play for England.

If someone had told you 12 months ago that 4 of our English players were in the running for a seat on the plane to Brazil 2014 you would have been demanding a pint of whatever they had obviously drunk too much of!!

Well done lads, and well done all Mauricio and all your team for making these boys shine brightly enough to be seen.

Have Saints ever had 4 players int he England squad before ?

Back in McMenemy's days we had numerous players in england Squad, but I can't recall four in th e one squad

As far as 30 man squad is concerned, I would imagine that this squad + Jagielka will basically be teh initial squad for the World Cup which is being reduced down to 23 for the tournamount and gives early notice to those concerned that they need to be avaiable for England at end of May

We seem to really lack a mobile ball winning defensive-midfielder. Guess maybe Henderson can provide this but he seems more box-to-box. Can't think of too many options apart from Cork and Noble though either would be more deserving of a place than Cleverly - not sure what he contributes.

Don't worry, we'll just go with Super F**** and Stevie G. Works every time.

Back in McMenemy's days we had numerous players in england Squad, but I can't recall four in th e one squad

As far as 30 man squad is concerned, I would imagine that this squad + Jagielka will basically be teh initial squad for the World Cup which is being reduced down to 23 for the tournamount and gives early notice to those concerned that they need to be avaiable for England at end of May

And the Ox! Can we claim him too?

And Defoe is silly. He chose to retire and go to Toronto, he's no use now.

I'm not sure about JRod to be honest. He can be great, but he lacked confidence for England last time, not sure he'll take the pressure. His finishing and touch are erratic at the best of times. See him on the right day and he's brilliant, so I see how he got in. Hard to decide between him and Welbeck to be honest, both have faults. Least JRod plays every week though.

I don't think it was a case of lacking confidence as such. He seemed up for it. From my perspective the reason he didn't perform at his best was because he was chucked out in an unfamiliar role as a winger in a 4-man midfield, and didn't appear to have much licence to run directly at the defence as he does so well for us.

Were four of Shilton, Wright, Armstong, Williams,or Danny Wallace ever in the same squad at any stage ?

Seem to recall Shilton, Wallace and Williams playing a friendly against Egypt once. Can't recall if Wright was involved. c 1984.

Were four of Shilton, Wright, Armstong, Williams,or Danny Wallace ever in the same squad at any stage ?

Seem to recall Shilton, Wallace and Williams playing a friendly against Egypt once. Can't recall if Wright was involved. c 1984.

I actually did the stats. on this some time ago. There was confusion over " McMenemy's English players" where (during one season), we fielded 5 players who had actually captained England at sometime,

and they weren't all current internationals at the time, and not all (of the 14 who did play for England ) were capped whilst with us, and clearly ....weren't at the club at the same time, either.

Shilton rarely missed an England game, which explains why he is Saints' most capped player. (49 times). I think we did have 3 players on the pitch at the same time on at least two occasions, in that period and that would (most likely) have been ; Shilton ......PLUS a combination of (either)... Armstrong ... AND/OR Steve Williams... AND /OR Mark Wright.

If I get time...... I'll check it out just to stop me from staying awake trying to figure it out.

Edited by david in sweden