Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

if he leaves then there is a pretty fair chance that is the case. Balligue who is a friend of MP has basically said it as well
I missed the interview, but this does sound interesting, what was said about the board breaking their promises to MP?

Exactly, which to me suggests our current board are not tying things down at the speed they maybe should.

Perhaps because they don't really know what they're doing football wise. We have a gabber, an heiress (of incertain fortune) a Swiss (or German) lawyer, a bean counter and an old school football man. We should have appointed a real CEO with football experience

when we were supposed to be looking for one.

So if the manager leaves to go to a much bigger, more glamorous club than ours DESPITE being offered a contact we can afford then our board lacks ambition?

If players leave to play for some of the biggest clubs in the world then it's the boards fault?

Thank f**k none of you are in charge.

obviously not the case but if the board does not come up with the assurances and funds then they are at fault. How we can tell? either way its difficult but one way will be to see is how much they spend if the players are sold.

The fact that the club knowing NC's success was causing the likelihood of approaches they should have pinned NC down sooner. To leave it in the air was similar to when Bally was left in limbo all those years ago.

but Mash as its his second language the reporters can easily twist his words, this way he has time to think about his answer. Anyway do managers really tell the truth? they normally put a positive side to it
Most of the managers and players of the Premier League use English as the 2nd language, what great controversy are caused by words being twisted every week? You're more likely to have miscommunication through a mistranslation of something.

Most of the managers and players of the Premier League use English as the 2nd language, what great controversy are caused by words being twisted every week? You're more likely to have miscommunication through a mistranslation of something.
Fair point but Im sure in the back of my mind there have been times. nothing recently. I dont worry anyway as most of it is tripe, praising the players, the fans etc etc

I can only refer you to some of Ranieri's interviews in French for Monaco, they were excruciatingly bad and in the end journalists got the better of him. There's nothing more savage than a journalist twisting an error of phrase or grammar into

what he thinks (or wants) to be true.

So if the manager leaves to go to a much bigger, more glamorous club than ours DESPITE being offered a contact we can afford then our board lacks ambition?

If players leave to play for some of the biggest clubs in the world then it's the boards fault?

Thank f**k none of you are in charge.

If MP was expecting 100mil investment to 'push on' and buy big names on big contracts, I would agree with you. However, looks pretty clear that this is about assurances that we keep players - SOMETHING WE CAN AFFORD from our normal Turnover, but needs the board to ensure they dont just want to capitalise player assets.

You are over simplifying it - We DO NOT need to let these players or MP go from a financial perspective. I odnt believe those players would push for a move but are open to it... so it IS down to teh bboard whether they want to cash in - but if they do so they are a) likely to see others want to go including MP, b) see a squad which has not yet peaked and is fiull of potential, never realise it, and c) not see any progress, if anything may even see us struggle. One of teh biggest contributers to our progress and success has been the stabilty, not wholesale changes in playing staff... something w eswould see this summer if half the side is poached... and that always spells a struggle...

OldNick....................you can't have it both ways. In a previous post you said if he goes it will be because we lack ambition and players were sold he didn't want sold and now you talk about reinvestment of funds and that you'd be happy with 25m reinvested.

How on earth do you and others on here have the slightest clue about what KL's plans are for the club (other being in it for the long haul and wanting to continue to progress)? And please don't say NC would have had a plan.....so did Peter Storrie, Peter Risdale et al. Very easy when its someone elses money/on the never never.

anyone know what our odds for being relegated are now? To the see the odds this time next week could be interesting. I dont think that we will get relegated at this time but depending on the manager and squad it could get interesting and very sad.

Perhaps because they don't really know what they're doing football wise. We have a gabber, an heiress (of incertain fortune) a Swiss lawyer, a bean counter and an old school football man. We should have appointed a real CEO with football experience

when we were supposed to be looking for one.

100% agree.

It is one thing to have inherited a lot of money. It is something totally different to know how to run a company. Like I said I think we will find out pretty soon what our new objective is in regards to how the club is run.

If we sell Shaw, Lallana and MoPo leaves then it is not the end of the world, but it sends the message that we will always be the middle team who sells our best players rather then progress to the level where we can keep them.

FC - so how come Man U could not keep hold of Ronaldo? How come Spurs could not keep hold of Bale? How come Everton could not keep their star players? Surely it is as easy as you are describing to keep hold of players or perhaps those clubs lack ambition?

OldNick....................you can't have it both ways. In a previous post you said if he goes it will be because we lack ambition and players were sold he didn't want sold and now you talk about reinvestment of funds and that you'd be happy with 25m reinvested.

How on earth do you and others on here have the slightest clue about what KL's plans are for the club (other being in it for the long haul and wanting to continue to progress)? And please don't say NC would have had a plan.....so did Peter Storrie, Peter Risdale et al. Very easy when its someone elses money/on the never never.

Why do i want it both ways? i said if we sold players for 50m and then reinvested 25m I would be happy with that. i do not expect us to spend 25m without selling. Therefore i dont get your point sorry.

I suggest MP would be sensible enough not to get the whole amount to spend, but assurances he can spend quite well

FC - so how come Man U could not keep hold of Ronaldo? How come Spurs could not keep hold of Bale? How come Everton could not keep their star players? Surely it is as easy as you are describing to keep hold of players or perhaps those clubs lack ambition?

What star players have Everton sold then? Rodwell and Fellaini.....daylight robbery, whoever flogged them should be given the freedom of Sefton Park or whatever. Real Madrid is a magnet for top players, the nec plus ultra of football clubs.

Put thi into context - players wanting a new challenge AFTER they have achieved something and going for MEGA amounts that no club would turn down - in all cases with the exception of Bale, the clubs had BENEFITTED form their assets, none of these were 18. Clubs in other countries seem to hold their homegrown talent until around 22/23 so you get some benefit before teh big move - which then also means the club gets the full or better value due the players being that more or cliser to peak. They are under contract and we do not need the money. The biggest mistake some make is that they think we sell Luke for 30mil and we can buy 20-3 players to improve teh squad... 1)| asumes every penny is reinvested, 2) assume sthat we get 100% success with transfers (50% average iseems to be the norm) and whilst it might be possible to improve the squad - we will WEAKEN the first team unless we can get a player in equally or better than shaw... which we aint going to do. It is in the Boards hands. You know as well as I do that this would be accepted if NC were still in charge and he would be getting the flack for being 'weak' in the face of teh bigger clubs...

What star players have Everton sold then? Rodwell and Fellaini.....daylight robbery, whoever flogged them should be given the freedom of Sefton Park or whatever. Real Madrid is a magnet for top players, the nec plus ultra of football clubs.

Put thi into context - players wanting a new challenge AFTER they have achieved something and going for MEGA amounts that no club would turn down - in all cases with the exception of Bale' date=' the clubs had BENEFITTED form their assets, none of these were 18. Clubs in other countries seem to hold their homegrown talent until around 22/23 so you get some benefit before teh big move - which then also means the club gets the full or better value due the players being that more or cliser to peak. They are under contract and we do not need the money. The biggest mistake some make is that they think we sell Luke for 30mil and we can buy 20-3 players to improve teh squad... 1)| asumes every penny is reinvested, 2) assume sthat we get 100% success with transfers (50% average iseems to be the norm) and whilst it might be possible to improve the squad - we will WEAKEN the first team unless we can get a player in equally or better than shaw... which we aint going to do. It is in the Boards hands. You know as well as I do that this would be accepted if NC were still in charge and he would be getting the flack for being 'weak' in the face of teh bigger clubs...[/quote'] Everton sold a bloke called Rooney to Man Utd.

anyone know what our odds for being relegated are now? To the see the odds this time next week could be interesting. I dont think that we will get relegated at this time but depending on the manager and squad it could get interesting and very sad.
You're thinking of having a bet on us to go down :lol:

Everyone keeps on trotting out examples of players leaving other clubs. Of course it happens. Based on the speculation around us at the moment, who has lost 3, 4, 5 key players and manager in one summer and been better off for it? Certainly not Everton.

Why do i want it both ways? i said if we sold players for 50m and then reinvested 25m I would be happy with that. i do not expect us to spend 25m without selling. Therefore i dont get your point sorry.

I suggest MP would be sensible enough not to get the whole amount to spend, but assurances he can spend quite well

I reckon you're easily pleased. I would want all proceeds from sales to be reinvested, plus a bit on top.

Everyone keeps on trotting out examples of players leaving other clubs. Of course it happens. Based on the speculation around us at the moment, who has lost 3, 4, 5 key players and manager in one summer and been better off for it? Certainly not Everton.
No-one is suggesting that we'd be better off if 5 key players and the manager left. Just that it's not the end of the world and all the fault of a terrible board if one or maybe even two key players are sold for big money.

You're thinking of having a bet on us to go down :lol:
Not at all, but it would be interesting to see how the odds change with the betting pundits who look at things in a less biased way. I stated that if MP goes we could be looking bottom 6 but not relegated a couple of days ago. of course if we got a decent manger my hopes would increase on that

Not at all, but it would be interesting to see how the odds change with the betting pundits who look at things in a less biased way. I stated that if MP goes we could be looking bottom 6 but not relegated a couple of days ago. of course if we got a decent manger my hopes would increase on that

Anyway 14/1 was the figure yesterday, I compared it to the odds of 400/1 of winning the PL in another thread. We're 8th favourites to win the title and 8th favourites not to go down.

No-one is suggesting that we'd be better off if 5 key players and the manager left. Just that it's not the end of the world and all the fault of a terrible board if one or maybe even two key players are sold for big money.

No but it's doesn't look great for them if the worst does happen. Lowe took enourmous flack for failing to back Strachan after 2003 season. Things can deteriorate very quickly at this level and it's not been good having players and manager come out and basically say that they love it here but have no idea what the ambition and aims are now.

When you have a player like Cork coming out and saying that he loves it here but no one has discussed a contract with him, you have to ask why. Complacency or something else?

Would go down far worse than Rovers treble swoop of Shearer, Kenna and Flowers in 92 -and that in hindsight was pretty tinpot. Doubt it'll happen but if it did, it would be an absolute disaster. Just need the second coming of Branfoot to top it off.

Edited by shurlock

No but it's doesn't look great for them if the worst does happen. Lowe took enourmous flack for failing to back Strachan after 2003 season. Things can deteriorate very quickly at this level and it's not been good having players and manager come out and basically say that they love it here but have no idea what the ambition and aims are now.

When you have a player like Cork coming out and saying that he loves it here but no one has discussed a contract with him, you have to ask why. Complacency or something else?

Seen Cork's interview on SaintsPlayer? Spoke volumes. Says those whose contracts are up have been talking and speculating but they don't have a clue where they stand or what the boards plans are.

Edited by shurlock

I personally think Spurs will go for De Boer, and if this is the case, I think Pochettino will sign a new contract. Spurs are the step up, and I'm not sure bigger clubs than them would risk appointing a manager with no real success in terms of trophies and titles, in spite of the fact Pochettino plays beautiful football and has a nous for bringing through young players.

I may be wrong, but whatever happens I'd love this managerial situation to be concluded by next week, one way or the other. The sooner we get it sorted, the sooner the players can decide how stable the club is and whether we hold aspirations of doing better in the league. If we have to appoint a new boss, whoever it is, and we get the decision right, it may very well be the key to keeping the jewels.

Of course Pochettino staying, and signing a new contract, is the best chance we have of showing the "want away" players of our ambitions. Fingers crossed.

Seen Cork's interview on SaintsPlayer? Spoke volumes. Says those whose contracts are up have been talking and speculating but they have a clue where they stand or what the boards plans are.

That's the point which I think people are missing. Absolutely no reason at all for someone like Cork to be left in limbo and signs like that don't bode well. We are lucky that our big players are all on good contracts, at least that's one thing.

Anyway 14/1 was the figure yesterday, I compared it to the odds of 400/1 of winning the PL in another thread. We're 8th favourites to win the title and 8th favourites not to go down.
thanks WC, if there is a sudden rush of departures and we get a second rate manager like mackay or one of the usual subjects i suggest the odds will drop sharply

I personally think Spurs will go for De Boer, and if this is the case, I think Pochettino will sign a new contract. Spurs are the step up, and I'm not sure bigger clubs than them would risk appointing a manager with no real success in terms of trophies and titles, in spite of the fact Pochettino plays beautiful football and has a nous for bringing through young players.

I may be wrong, but whatever happens I'd love this managerial situation to be concluded by next week, one way or the other. The sooner we get it sorted, the sooner the players can decide how stable the club is and whether we hold aspirations of doing better in the league. If we have to appoint a new boss, whoever it is, and we get the decision right, it may very well be the key to keeping the jewels.

Of course Pochettino staying, and signing a new contract, is the best chance we have of showing the "want away" players of our ambitions. Fingers crossed.

Could be but Tottenham really need a proven entity for their next PL campaign and not a manager with L plates. FdB's problem is that he's never managed outside Holland with their rough and tumble football and a 2 horse league. Levy just cannot afford another failure. That's probably why Mauricio is now odds on with some bookies whereas FdB was in that position only 2 or 3 days back. Tottenham need a major rebuild, preferably with a few of the players they already have and MP must be favourite tro do that over the relatively insular De Boer.

They have a clue or haven't a clue, makes all the difference really.

Haven't :)

Check out the interview - Cork referred to speaking to Les and Katrina (no mention of Ralph iirc); but that had nothing to do with new contracts. Sounded committed but explicit that the ball was in their court. Given everyone else is being linked with a move, we should be taking those small mercies and not risking them.

What the FCK are some people on?

We have to run the club within the boundaries of what is affordable. If MP wants us to spend what we haven't got, then he can **** off as far as I'm concerned. I'll drive him up the seven sisters road myself.

Managers can't start hold a gun to the finance people's heads, he won't be able to do it at spurs and he shouldn't be able to do it to us.Have the past 10 years not taught us anything?

For all we know Nicola was a Swiss Peter Risdale who was driving us over the edge of a cliff. If clubs like Aston Villa and Everton cut their cloth accordingly, why is it such a bad thing for us to be doing so? There will always be clubs come knocking for our players just as we pinched clyne and José from palace and jrod from Burnley. That unfortunately is a fact of footballing life and if people can't deal with it, they'll always be disappointed

What the FCK are some people on?

We have to run the club within the boundaries of what is affordable. If MP wants us to spend what we haven't got, then he can **** off as far as I'm concerned. I'll drive him up the seven sisters road myself.

Managers can't start hold a gun to the finance people's heads, he won't be able to do it at spurs and he shouldn't be able to do it to us.Have the past 10 years not taught us anything?

For all we know Nicola was a Swiss Peter Risdale who was driving us over the edge of a cliff. If clubs like Aston Villa and Everton cut their cloth accordingly, why is it such a bad thing for us to be doing so? There will always be clubs come knocking for our players just as we pinched clyne and José from palace and jrod from Burnley. That unfortunately is a fact of footballing life and if people can't deal with it, they'll always be disappointed

We could be due to get near 60M on player sales plus the 82M from PL.

It would only be fair and normal for Pochettino to know how much of that he has to work with before players are sold around him. I'm sure he'd sooner just work with what we got.

Good irrelevant rant though.

Guillem Ballague on SSN saying that it's a crucial week for Saints regarding Poch, need to assure him players can be replaced and are able to match his ambitions.

Replaced? No-one has been sold yet, although Balague is usually clued up on matters.

I firmly believe if Pochettino stays, it'll be because he's promised money to spend, and will be our best chance of keeping the existing playing personnel.

Still, might be a moot point soon. Come on Katherina, show us what your balls are made of! (...or whatever the female equivalent of that expression is...)

If MP was expecting 100mil investment to 'push on' and buy big names on big contracts, I would agree with you. However, looks pretty clear that this is about assurances that we keep players - SOMETHING WE CAN AFFORD from our normal Turnover, but needs the board to ensure they dont just want to capitalise player assets.

You are over simplifying it - We DO NOT need to let these players or MP go from a financial perspective. I odnt believe those players would push for a move but are open to it... so it IS down to teh bboard whether they want to cash in - but if they do so they are a) likely to see others want to go including MP, b) see a squad which has not yet peaked and is fiull of potential, never realise it, and c) not see any progress, if anything may even see us struggle. One of teh biggest contributers to our progress and success has been the stabilty, not wholesale changes in playing staff... something w eswould see this summer if half the side is poached... and that always spells a struggle...

No, I'm not over simplifying it as it's very simple to begin with. If the manager or players choose to leave for some of the biggest clubs in world football it in no way at all shows a lack of ambition from the board. We simply cannot compete with the glamour, kudos, money and potential of them and only a fool thinks we can or tries to compete.

The rest of your post is simply your opinion on how players feel which you know no better than I.

That's the point which I think people are missing. Absolutely no reason at all for someone like Cork to be left in limbo and signs like that don't bode well. We are lucky that our big players are all on good contracts, at least that's one thing.

I rate Jack Cork very highly, but it is possible that the manager does not see him as part of his long term plans. Just a thought. More likely than a board who do not know what they are doing.

I rate Jack Cork very highly, but it is possible that the manager does not see him as part of his long term plans. Just a thought. More likely than a board who do not know what they are doing.

It seems to me that Mauricio doesn't want our CMs to run with the ball, he wants players who can tackle (or intercept) the ball and then have the ability to drop in on a tanner 50 yards away in a nanosecond. We have front men to run with the ball,wingbacks as well. Can Cork do that, I don't remember him being an ace at accurate instantaneous passing but that could be because I've not paid enough attention to him in the 40 odd matches I've seen this season. The other thing is that although they're all right footers only Morgan looks in any way comfortable on the left side, he's also a hell of a lot faster than the other 2.

How can we compete? Over 10, 20 years or more? Rather than everyone explaining how stupid we all are, does anyone have any views on how clubs, saints or otherwise, can improve and compete eventually?

I know logic and football supporting don't go hand in hand, but surely some hope is required that clubs can grow, otherwise what's the point? Do all football fans that don't support the top 5 or 6 just accept that the most successful clubs in the first century of football will always be in charge?

I don't think any other club can really break into the upper ranks bar, perhaps, Newcastle & Villa. Our only real hope of glory is the cups.

Money has, alas, destroyed competition at the top of the league.

How can we compete? Over 10, 20 years or more? Rather than everyone explaining how stupid we all are, does anyone have any views on how clubs, saints or otherwise, can improve and compete eventually?

I know logic and football supporting don't go hand in hand, but surely some hope is required that clubs can grow, otherwise what's the point? Do all football fans that don't support the top 5 or 6 just accept that the most successful clubs in the first century of football will always be in charge?

How about trust and investment in own grown players supported by a transfer policy which targets young and hungry players with the right attitude and have them play an attractive and effective brand of football under a young workhorse manager and let them grow together.......oh wait....

How about trust and investment in own grown players supported by a transfer policy which targets young and hungry players with the right attitude and have them play an attractive and effective brand of football under a young workhorse manager and let them grow together.......oh wait....

Even then you can't compete unless you can get the best raw material in the first place. We produce wing backs, we've still to produce a viable top flight CB or keeper, or striker or CM. In fact of our best XI (I rate Clyne over Chambers) only Lallana and Shaw are academy products, all the rest are bought in. Our academy system works on occasions but we produce more players for Swindon,Brentford and Yeovil than we do for our first team. I'm really sorry but from what I've seen of Gallagher he won't make a PL striker in a thousand years, now the kiddy from Utd the other day, 2 chances 2 goals, that's a top flight youngster.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I don't think any other club can really break into the upper ranks bar, perhaps, Newcastle & Villa. Our only real hope of glory is the cups.

Money has, alas, destroyed competition at the top of the league.

Which is quite interesting because MP let us down big time at Sunderland in the cup. Has everyone forgotten that?

And that stops players and mangers leaving for the glamour clubs does it?