Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Have also heard that Poch is likely to stay. If he does, Shaw is more than happy to stay. Lallana at 26 is more likely to go.

Nothing new from the others really, but there you go.

When you say "heard" do you mean Chris Ran on your Twitter feed?

Pochettino did preside over some poor results through November and December so although the team played very attractive possession football it didn't prevent the slip from being in the top 3 to dropping down to 8th or 9th. Even towards the end of the season there were games where possession didn't translate into goals. So, much as I want MP to stay, let's not see him as being superhuman. But what makes him irreplaceable at the moment is that he has the respect of the players and his commitment to the club is likely to be a major factor in helping keep our star players here.

Forgotten what ? It was a non event really, arguably yes he could've fielded a stronger team. But then Sunderland beat us twice, once with our full squads and one when both of us rang the changes.

No they didn't. They beat an even weaker side in the League Cup. We drew twice in the league. They just felt like defeats.

...meaning? ;)

Nothing. I just know he didn't copy and paste from his twitter feed. I don't know if his source is reliable or not, but from what he has said and what many others have reported on here, it seems more likely than not that MP will be staying but the playing squad may be reshuffled this summer.

I am as much ITK on this as the majority on here.

Edited by itchen_dan

What about your 'vision' you set out a few months ago when discussing our realistic targets for the summer window. Keeping as much of the squad together, selling Osvaldo and possibly Ramirez and pooling those proceeds with a kitty of £20m or so. At the time, you didn't think it was unrealistic.

Have no doubt that some players will want to leave -though none are begging to leave- but I think it could be managed in a way that avoids any snowball effect.

With a more explicit plan, I also think we could keep hold the likes of Shaw for another couple of seasons. Despite their desire to see Shaw play for them, the united mongboards are pretty clear why the lad might want to stay for a little longer. The same goes for the other players under 25. Lallana's the exception as he's reaching an age where it's increasingly now or never. However time is on the side of the rest of the squad. Who knows with incremental improvement each season, perhaps by the time the others reach the crossroads Lallana has, we might be a more attractive proposition -maybe not for the world beaters like Shaw but players of the calibre of Lovren/Morgan etc.

What about it? It is still possible. I still expect us to have a good season next year, I'm not stressed or worried like so many on here. I don't think things would have been so different if NC was still here.

What does that mean? What is the definition of ambition and guarantees in this context?

We will lose one of our players atleast, big players, I dont suppose the board can guarantee anything on that front and I wouldnt believe them if they did. But we are in a very unique position, we have a team on the cusp of something special with a manager getting them to play atteactive and effective football. With a couple of additions we could start to threaten the top 6, along with this you have squad supplementation from a good academy.

For me the board need to build on it, Im not talking about vast sums of money either, just an ambition to try to keep the squad together and atleast allow for replacements to be made and new signings brought into the squad. Perhaps a kitty of around 30m + anything made on transfers.

That would be motivation for me, and Id argue Poch. He seems happy with his lot here IMO, but he talked about 'asking the board' when questioned on his future, thst speaks volumes to me. Spurs is one of those moves, he could easily be out of a job in 6 months with a tarnished rep going there. Plus are they really going to spend masses again after last year ?

We will lose one of our players atleast, big players, I dont suppose the board can guarantee anything on that front and I wouldnt believe them if they did. But we are in a very unique position, we have a team on the cusp of something special with a manager getting them to play atteactive and effective football. With a couple of additions we could start to threaten the top 6, along with this you have squad supplementation from a good academy.

For me the board need to build on it, Im not talking about vast sums of money either, just an ambition to try to keep the squad together and atleast allow for replacements to be made and new signings brought into the squad. Perhaps a kitty of around 30m + anything made on transfers.

That would be motivation for me, and Id argue Poch. He seems happy with his lot here IMO, but he talked about 'asking the board' when questioned on his future, thst speaks volumes to me. Spurs is one of those moves, he could easily be out of a job in 6 months with a tarnished rep going there. Plus are they really going to spend masses again after last year ?

Pretty much my assessment - above all, don't think its unrealistic or financially irresponsible. Question how many players can we afford to lose before it starts going pear-shaped, mindful the risks of plugging gaps in the transfer market and the loss of team chemistry. 1,2,3?

Pretty much my assessment - above all, don't think its unrealistic or financially irresponsible. Question how many players can we afford to lose before it starts going pear-shaped, mindful the risks of plugging gaps in the transfer market and the loss of team chemistry. 1,2,3?

Pretty much need a keeper, CB, Striker IMO to be effective, nothing major, if players move on then replace.

Striker would be my top priority

I'm sure the board do want to build on it. I doubt Kruger came here to just faff around in lower mid-table for a couple of years. It's just a case of what guarantees MP wants. Is he happy to stay if we sell Lallana? Does he want £30m net spend this summer and we're only offering £18m? Who knows, but there is clearly a game of poker going on here and I think MP is playing us along a bit at the moment, which is fair enough for him, he only has one career and wants to get the most out of it.

Pretty much need a keeper, CB, Striker IMO to be effective, nothing major, if players move on then replace.

Tbf, if Lallana also leaves, we need a top drawer player to replace him. So much has gone through him this season.

And how many players can we afford to lose? One of or both Lallana and Shaw? Any others?

I'd think we could lose one of them, though it would be v.hard to lose/replace both. I think we could cope with the loss of Morgan as Victor and Cork are ready to step up.

And how many players can we afford to lose? One of or both Lallana and Shaw? Any others?

I'd think we could lose one of them, though it would be v.hard to lose/replace both. I think we could cope with the loss of Morgan as Victor and Cork are ready to step up.

Obviously lost players require being replaced, Ramirez could step up to the Lallana plate should he consistantly play at a solid level we have seen he can. As per Shaw, there will be replacements, Im not hot on the LB market TBH but Im sure 30m will pay for a decent quality player.

Any lose however will be big, Id rather not lose Morgan, was pretty much the best DM in prem according to Opta halfway through the season

No...what you do is create an environment where the players fancy their chances of success at the club they're already comfortable with and don't see moving as a necessity....Kinda like what Nasty Nick did during his time at Saints. A self fulfilling prophesy if you like.

But having spent most your life blinded by bitter hatred for one thing or another, I wouldn't expect you to see that.

Bless your little Tea Party socks. You try so hard to be insulting and you're so poor at it. Still cracking one off about gay sex in prisons as you're bound to mention it again?

Got a hunch they may go for Moyes. Tenner placed at 10-1.

Well they took a punt on Chelsea's managerial cast off, no reason they wouldn't try with Utds.

Normally there's a lack of managerial candidates but it seems like there's quite a few at the moment. A plus if we do lose Pochettino.

Moyes is known as a manager that doesn't really bring through youth players

Southampton is known as a team that brings through youth players

Yes,Moyes seems like a good shout

Apart from

Rooney

Stones

Coleman

Anichibe

Vaughan

The only reason I think they will go for Poch, is because Saints play the kind of football that Spurs fans want and believe they will play and should play.

I just do not know why he would go to Spurs? Ok they are a bigger club, but we were not that far behind them and 0-2 up at their gaff before we threw it away. It is a huge risk for Poch, as Hoddle found to his cost. No top 4, then he will be out on his ear.

I really do think he would be better off staying a Saint, keeping the players here and doing well with us. Then in time he could land himself the Arsenal, or Chelsea job. I think he would suit Arsenal really well.

The only reason I think they will go for Poch, is because Saints play the kind of football that Spurs fans want and believe they will play and should play.

I just do not know why he would go to Spurs? Ok they are a bigger club, but we were not that far behind them and 0-2 up at their gaff before we threw it away. It is a huge risk for Poch, as Hoddle found to his cost. No top 4, then he will be out on his ear.

I really do think he would be better off staying a Saint, keeping the players here and doing well with us. Then in time he could land himself the Arsenal, or Chelsea job. I think he would suit Arsenal really well.

AVB is known for a high pressing game and a lot of signings were brought in to execute that strategy, though AVB deployed it inconsistently. Perhaps Levy feels that MP who's had much more success with the pressing game, can get the best out of those signings. Would certainly save him having to tear things up and start over.

If the rumours about Pochettino staying are true, why has it not be announced? Probably because there not true?

I agree, likely because no decision has been made on his future.

However, playing Devils advocate, they could be delaying the news to announce at the same time a player departs to soften the blow.

AVB is known for a high pressing game and a lot of signings were brought in to execute that strategy, though AVB deployed it inconsistently. Perhaps Levy feels that MP who's had much more success with the pressing game, can therefore get the best out of those signings. Would certainly save Levy having to tear things up and start again.

Or perhaps he is going to look at a different approach as this attacking football has not quite paid off, for the expectations of a Spurs and their fans. I just think that there are such high expectations that it will be another manager who is sacked in a years time. Ha*rry, AVB, sherwood, all played attacking football and all got the boot. At one stage I had to admit I liked watching Spurs play under saggy chops! I just feel, they may need a different approach, but they have the very attractive football of arsenal on their doorstep!

I agree, likely because no decision has been made on his future.

However, playing Devils advocate, they could be delaying the news to announce at the same time a player departs to soften the blow.

Knowing Saints, they will probably announce the sacking sometime this week...... Catch us all on the back foot!

Moyes = Free

Poch = £2m

Despite his underwhelming season at United, he's not the f*cktard everyone makes out.

Quite. I think Everton finished top half in 9 out of 11 seasons he was there with a net spend of around £1m a season. An incredible achievement really. The fashionable view seems to be saying that Martinez has shown him up but the fact remains Everton have finished 5th-8th every season since for the last 8 years.

I think there is more chance of Pochettino ending up at Arsenal than Spurs. Think Wenger may go in the summer.

No Arsenal will want a manager with real experience of the Champions League. Spurs just want someone, to dream about it with them.

I think there is more chance of Pochettino ending up at Arsenal than Spurs. Think Wenger may go in the summer.

Wenger has said he is staying. But as mentioned a little earlier, I think Poch would be wise to stick around.... Why Spurs? Don't get it!

Wenger has said he is staying. But as mentioned a little earlier, I think Poch would be wise to stick around.... Why Spurs? Don't get it!

Money

Closer to the CL

London

Money

Better than saints

Money

Bigger transfer budget

Money

Money

Money

Money

Closer to the CL

London

Money

Better than saints

Money

Bigger transfer budget

Money

Money

Money

Sacked after 12 months, go and coach some kids far away! They will not get in the champions league and that is the target.

Sacked after 12 months, go and coach some kids far away! They will not get in the champions league and that is the target.

Why won't they get into the CL

In other threads, Suarez is going and Liverpool won't get in

Arsenal are one other team away getting their act together before missing out

Man U Are finished for a few years in another thread. We certainly are no where near CL even if we keep everyone

Spurs got 4th twice in the last few years with redknapp. Not beyond the realms of possibility that the manager we rate so greatly could sneak 4th