Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10832021/Southampton-manager-Mauricio-Pochettino-must-speak-English-if-he-is-to-move-to-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

"Players and staff at Southampton fear Pochettino will leave and have been looking for signs of his intentions. His decision to wear a tie given to him by former executive chairman Nicola Cortese for the final game of the season against Manchester United was seen in some quarters as a farewell signal."

Anyone been discussing the tie?!? Is this a new low in speculation?!

Utterly ridiculous. Couldn't you also argue it was a sign he was tying himself to the club?

.. or knot ?

I've got nothing earth shattering to add to this discussion really but just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I can't help thinking that if Pochettino doesn't want to be here, then there really is no point keeping him against his will. If he was forced to carry on working as the Saints manager and his heart was no longer in it then I think it would be even worse for the team than letting him go. If he does want out and the players use that as there excuse to leave then so be it. The same could be said for keeping Adam and Luke if they don't want to be here. Obviously I would love to see him and all the players stick around and hope the board can do they can to persuade them all to stay and buy into there new vision for the club. But if Pochettino wants out then he isn't worth keeping.

If the club does find itself looking for a new manager then I hope they can find someone who actually wants to stick around long term. I know its unlikely but it would be good if we could find a good manager who is not going to use us as a stepping stone to further their career. I know, I know, where do you find a person like that in todays game?? Its a shame Matthew Le Tissier doesn't want to be a manager. Former hero player turned coach very rarely works out. We all know it didn't go to well for Shearer with Newcastle and I know that its very unlikely it would work for Matt either.

It just would be refreshing to have someone who actually genuinely cared for the club manage it, but I guess that doesn't really happen anymore in the modern game and can't be expected or even hoped for anymore.

I think we had one of those he was called Nigel Adkins...........

The Tie concept

Im wearing a tie today , given to me by my ex girlfriend, based on this thread does that mean we are getting back together, or just coincidental

No your logic is erroneous, it would just show that you still remember your ex fondly but that if someone new comes along you wouldn't mind ditching the current for her whilst not reconciling with the ex either. On the other hand it might just mean that you've only got 2 ties and the other one was in the wash. I still wear my OT's tie on occasions, doesn't mean I shall be sitting at a desk in Highfield come next monday.

The Tie concept

Im wearing a tie today , given to me by my ex girlfriend, based on this thread does that mean we are getting back together, or just coincidental

I'm wearing a tie today that my sister bought me as a gift. It is a sign that I'm leaving my job in protest.

and he was as much use as a PL manager as a chocolate tea-pot.....

you'll get hate mail for that don'tcha know. Out of his depth totally in elevated spheres but some think he was a cracking bloke

and that made up for everything. Couldn't even make the CC play-offs with a relegated PL side. Even Arry managed that and so did Rosler..

He would have kept us up so that's a bit unfair... It's more of a job than Holloway, Mccarthy and other Champ level managers have done.

What kept us up last season was beating Chelsea,Liverpool and Citeh at home, no-one can say definitely whether Mauricio's pressing football was responsable for that but it's highly likely. Without those 3 wins we were down.

I think we had one of those he was called Nigel Adkins...........

I wouldn't actually say NA 'cared' for the club in the way that Saint J is implying more that he bought into NC's vision, project call it what you will with probably a bit more passion than MP. I believe that MP saw it as a sound stepping stone, and that is now being demonstrated by the Spuds stand off.

You know what.....I am so f**n bored of this whole speculation already. MP could kill it now by either saying he wants to stay or he wants to go.....simple. He appears to be stringing the club along so call his bluff: tell him to decide on the new contract by Monday or f**k off and have a replacement lined up.

This is ridiculous and you can see NC's hand all over the press with some of the absolutely insane stories that are coming out.

I do like Pochettino's style but wouldn't kid myself that he's superman. He's done OK for us but 8th place does mask the fact that we finished 8 points below the 7th team who sacked their manager for poor performance. Oh, and 13 goals worse off than them on Goal Difference, so it was a huge gulf and 23 points away from the top 4.

I like the passing football that Pochettino has brought to the team and the possession tactics but he has struggled to turn possession into goals, which does seem to be a coaching issue.

I would like Pochettino to stay, not because I think he's irreplaceable, because obviously he's not, but because he appears to be held in high regard by the squad and it would seem more likely that we will lose some of our best players if Pochettino leaves.

But ultimately, does it matter? We have some more exceptional talent waiting in the development squad and in the u-18s. Targett, Gape, Rowe and others won't get a chance unless gaps appear in the first team and they will all be a year older this August than they were at the beginning of last season, so if it is to be a new manager and a couple of players are lost, I will regret it and I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I do like Pochettino's style but wouldn't kid myself that he's superman. He's done OK for us but 8th place does mask the fact that we finished 8 points below the 7th team who sacked their manager for poor performance. Oh, and 13 goals worse off than them on Goal Difference, so it was a huge gulf and 23 points away from the top 4.

I like the passing football that Pochettino has brought to the team and the possession tactics but he has struggled to turn possession into goals, which does seem to be a coaching issue.

I would like Pochettino to stay, not because I think he's irreplaceable, because obviously he's not, but because he appears to be held in high regard by the squad and it would seem more likely that we will lose some of our best players if Pochettino leaves.

But ultimately, does it matter? We have some more exceptional talent waiting in the development squad and in the u-18s. Targett, Gape, Rowe and others won't get a chance unless gaps appear in the first team and they will all be a year older this August than they were at the beginning of last season, so if it is to be a new manager and a couple of players are lost, I will regret it and I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Do tend to agree with most of this Prof, however didn't the doomsayers say that there would be a mass exodus after the Don left due to how well he was liked etc?

He's done OK for us but 8th place does mask the fact that we finished 8 points below the 7th team who sacked their manager for poor performance. Oh, and 13 goals worse off than them on Goal Difference,

You mean Manchester Utd? We finished 8 points below Manchester United and 13 goals worse off. Manchester United, previous league champions, the team that spent £70m on transfers last season. 8 points off them? I would take 20 years of that if it was offered it to me. Not bad at all Poch.

This is the view that I am coming around to now... I think the club is set up in such a way that it can withstand something like this happening. It might set us back in the short term, but I think long term we'll be alright.

This is the view that I am coming around to now... I think the club is set up in such a way that it can withstand something like this happening. It might set us back in the short term, but I think long term we'll be alright.

I think it's more the realisation that 8th is probably about the best it is going to get for us. That's pretty depressing.

I think it's more the realisation that 8th is probably about the best it is going to get for us. That's pretty depressing.

I think we could do better, but it's very difficult. I think Everton stature is a good aim. Always in top 8, sometimes might get Europe, sometimes might be challenging champions league. But being in and around there each season would be my aim.

You mean Manchester Utd? We finished 8 points below Manchester United and 13 goals worse off. Manchester United, previous league champions, the team that spent £70m on transfers last season. 8 points off them? I would take 20 years of that if it was offered it to me. Not bad at all Poch.

This ^

I think we could do better, but it's very difficult. I think Everton stature is a good aim. Always in top 8, sometimes might get Europe, sometimes might be challenging champions league. But being in and around there each season would be my aim.

I feel that we could definitely do a wee bit better with a really potent striker to play in tandem with JRod, on occasions our men have been far too wasteful for a really top side. Still think if we had a Suarez or Aguero we'd have made top 6. The number of times Mauricio has remarked on it tends to back up my view. Trouble is we'd need to find one at base level because not being in Europe denies us the possibility of signing such a player at the summit of his art.

I feel that we could definitely do a wee bit better with a really potent striker to play in tandem with JRod, on occasions our men have been far too wasteful for a really top side. Still think if we had a Suarez or Aguero we'd have made top 6. The number of times Mauricio has remarked on it tends to back up my view. Trouble is we'd need to find one at base level because not being in Europe denies us the possibility of signing such a player at the summit of his art.
If we had Suarez or Aguero we'd be doing better? Thanks for that :lol:

You know what.....I am so f**n bored of this whole speculation already. MP could kill it now by either saying he wants to stay or he wants to go.....simple. He appears to be stringing the club along so call his bluff: tell him to decide on the new contract by Monday or f**k off and have a replacement lined up.

This is ridiculous and you can see NC's hand all over the press with some of the absolutely insane stories that are coming out.

+1 I'm afraid to say.

How much of this could of been avoided if Osvaldo turned out to be the player we thought or the board brought in another ST in Jan ?

J-Rods injury left us seriously short of a quality attacker and we didn't have anyone even close to that kind of player

I love Lambert as much as the next man but he looked tired at certain points of the season,plus it was said he was carrying a few knocks as well,all we had was Gallagher and he hardly set the prem alight.

I have to agree the new board are taking all the flak for this but Mopo has constantly refused to just say he is happy and saints and wants to stay that's all he had to do really.....that he hasn't speaks volumes.

I think the board are on to a bit of a hiding to nothing at the moment. Poccettino was fond of saying that he couldn't understand what all the fuss is about as he has one year left on his contract. Surely if he does not want to sign a new contract we should simply make it clear that we expect him to honour that contract, and then lets all just get on with it. Same as Lallana and Shaw. Certainly we should not let any of them go until we have replaced them.

There's a couple of questions surrounding all of this that I find rather interesting:

1) If the relationship between Cortese and Pochettino was as close as it was rumoured to be, and if Cortese had long been at loggerheads with Katharina (as he supposedly was), why didn't Cortese strike-out the (alleged) "two million pounds to leave" clause before he left or at least change it to one which only applied of he was still CEO? Granted, Katharina could have got him out of there too quickly for him to do it, but it would have been an understandable gesture for a (supposed) friend and a hell of a poison pill for Katharina. Sure, she could have sued him for "failing to act in the best interests of the corporation" but that would take a lot of proving in court.

2) Doesn't that period show that Pochettino is quite adept at posturing in his own best interests (as he may be over the potential Spurs move)? After all, when he threatened to quit if Cortese went, he must have known about the (alleged) "two million pounds to leave" clause, and he must also - therefore - have known that he wasn't going anywhere.

Thoughts?

I think the board are on to a bit of a hiding to nothing at the moment. Poccettino was fond of saying that he couldn't understand what all the fuss is about as he has one year left on his contract. Surely if he does not want to sign a new contract we should simply make it clear that we expect him to honour that contract, and then lets all just get on with it. Same as Lallana and Shaw. Certainly we should not let any of them go until we have replaced them.

As far as I've seen there's nothing to say he isn't intending to honour his present contract, just doesn't seem to be falling over himself to sign a new one. Makes sense, no point in tying himself to the club if he's really unsure where it's going in years to come. Wenger let his contract run down to it's very end, he's staying with Arsenal all the same, Moyes hyad a 6 year contract and was sacked after just less than a year. We need to get our ducks in a row,if it hasn't been done already, and convince the manager that what will be available to him next season and those after that will allow him to reach 6th place next season and so on. I've no real anxiety about Lallana and Shaw being sold either, if it stops there and the replacements for them are of a decent quality and there's still some money left from those transfers for a real striker, a CB and a keeper. If all that comes to pass I shall be pleased, I've no great attachment to either Lallana or Shaw, good players, loyal servants but there are equally good players available.

Edited by Window Cleaner

There's a couple of questions surrounding all of this that I find rather interesting:

1) If the relationship between Cortese and Pochettino was as close as it was rumoured to be, and if Cortese had long been at loggerheads with Katharina (as he supposedly was), why didn't Cortese strike-out the (alleged) "two million pounds to leave" clause before he left or at least change it to one which only applied of he was still CEO? Granted, Katharina could have got him out of there too quickly for him to do it, but it would have been an understandable gesture for a (supposed) friend and a hell of a poison pill for Katharina. Sure, she could have sued him for "failing to act in the best interests of the corporation" but that would take a lot of proving in court.

2) Doesn't that period show that Pochettino is quite adept at posturing in his own best interests (as he may be over the potential Spurs move)? After all, when he threatened to quit if Cortese went, he must have known about the (alleged) "two million pounds to leave" clause, and he must also - therefore - have known that he wasn't going anywhere.

Thoughts?

I agree. I also think its gonna cost Spurs a bloody fortune to get him, this 2 million clause, his salary and then compensation to us of the year left on his contract.....unless he resigns of course.

So they could be looking at 6 - 7 million to get an unproven at the level they want manager ?

Umm.......

I agree. I also think its gonna cost Spurs a bloody fortune to get him, this 2 million clause, his salary and then compensation to us of the year left on his contract.....unless he resigns of course.

So they could be looking at 6 - 7 million to get an unproven at the level they want manager ?

Umm.......

And his backroom staff as well, they all have 12 months left on their contracts

And his backroom staff as well, they all have 12 months left on their contracts

yep good point, forgot the three of them.

Is Levy willing to shell out so much for someone who has achieved mid table and no better in the Premiership and in Spain ?

Just because De Boer spilled the story to the press about the contact with Ajax ?

Umm.......

It will cost them 2 million £, it would end there. Any manager they hire will get a salary and bring his salaried staff. When you think that Jardim has just cost Monaco in excess of 4 million £ and he's not even a top name then 2 million for MP is a snip.

The great advantage to Spurs is that he just might be able to get something out of Lamela and Soldado with his style of play, losing any positive contribution from those 2 is going to cost them much more. I can see why he's attractive to them, his style might just make something of their 60 million £ investment plus whatever they've taken in salaries this year for a very limited contribution.

yep good point, forgot the three of them.

Is Levy willing to shell out so much for someone who has achieved mid table and no better in the Premiership and in Spain ?

Just because De Boer spilled the story to the press about the contact with Ajax ?

Levy said that they had no contact with De Boer, perhaps Tommac has been masquerading as D Levy.

I just phoned someone called Help me Rhonda, they have confirmed they have fabulous new designs for WHL

and wish Saints all the best for next season .

They mentioned the new WHL stadium will be awesome once it is built, Probably the best designed stadium in the world

Didnt he say that when Sherwood was still manager ? He could hardly say anything else at that point.

I have no idea, clubs can tap up a new manager without any reference to the incumbent so I doubt that would make any difference. Sherwood's brief was clear: CL or you're out so there would be no problem speaking with other managers. FdB said they did, DL said they didn't. Probably just confusion of who is acting for whom at the end of the day. Not even convinced that Mauricio is that keen on Spurs, he just doesn't want to find himself in crap street again with a bunch of academy rookies and the fans expecting him to maintain our status from this season. If he gets reasonable support from the board I think he'll still be here come August...Therein lies the question, how much is reasonable.

If Mauricio should leave you need to rush out and plonk your tenner on Uwe Rosler.

My guess is Levy's using Poch to bait out de Boer, for one reason or another.. get him to sign on quicker? lower his wage demands? I don't know. Just can't see MP or Levy paying the £2m fee in Mauricio's contract for us to release him. Also feel that Levy will want a manager with experience of winning titles not just finishing mid table.

That's how I hope it is anyway.

My guess is Levy's using Poch to bait out de Boer, for one reason or another.. get him to sign on quicker? lower his wage demands? I don't know. Just can't see MP or Levy paying the £2m fee in Mauricio's contract for us to release him. Also feel that Levy will want a manager with experience of winning titles not just finishing mid table.

That's how I hope it is anyway.

And Ajax are going to let De Boer leave for free....I really,really doubt that. If they want a decent manager they'll have to pay, 2million £ is chicken feed to them. Monaco have just paid 5 million, euros for Leonardo Jardim....2 million is cheap for a decent manager. Do not forget that even back in 2001 Spurs had to give us over a million for Hoddle and to think that the clown Burley brought us nigh on half a million from the Scottish FA ...................