Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Need to hear something soon - not sure my nerves can handle much more of this! Would make my decade if we get a "Pochettino, Shaw, Lallana and Morgan sign new 5 year deals...Osvaldo shipped off to QPR". In all seriousness, his training brawls with Joey Barton would be worth televising.

Interesting and depressing lines in the Indy:

'Mauricio Pochettino, now represented by Gareth Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett, will be a contender. Levy is thought to be going cold on De Boer after his willingness to divulge Spurs’ interest in him.'

Every bit as trustworthy and reputable as Daniel Levy.

Well worth steering clear of if MP has an ounce of sense, but as we probably know it comes down to ££££

Ridiculous that Tottenham's search for a manager is defined by whether they pipe up or not about an approach - especially when Spurs have been quite content to make those approaches while Sherwood was still in the job.

Forget all the other qualities that a manager might bring to a club, but focus on how good they are at keeping schtum. Levy has absolutely no idea what he wants to implement at WHL and just seems to like to swing his d1ck around in the transfer window a lot. If Poch is seduced by that then good riddance really, sadly he won't last much longer than a season.

Spurs is a poisoned chalice, big club yes but just look at their record with managers. He'd get very little bedding in time and if it didn't click he could be out the door within 1 season. He should have a chat with Hoddle about jumping to join Spurs.

It's all on a knife edge, lose Poch and we could see a real exodus, keep him and we should be able to keep most of our stars and add a few extra quality signings to push us on to a crack at Europe.

Ridiculous that Tottenham's search for a manager is defined by whether they pipe up or not about an approach - especially when Spurs have been quite content to make those approaches while Sherwood was still in the job.

Forget all the other qualities that a manager might bring to a club, but focus on how good they are at keeping schtum. Levy has absolutely no idea what he wants to implement at WHL and just seems to like to swing his d1ck around in the transfer window a lot. If Poch is seduced by that then good riddance really, sadly he won't last much longer than a season.

Agree with all of that.

On a Spurs website, 'Phantom of the Lane' states that MoPo was interviewed yesterday for the job, this site is very accurate and predicted all their signings pre-season.

I unfortunately heard something similar that he was at Spurs on Monday but back talking with Saints yesterday. Was third hand information so who knows how true it is. And would contradict with someone on here saying MP was having meetings at Saints on Monday.

What came first, chicken or egg ?

chicken. It's in the bible. "And lo on the 5th day baby jesus created all winged birds according to their kind, and lo they was chickens, and chickens begat eggs, and eggs begat chickens, and chickens begat KFC colonel."

Quick update from a club source, No MP has not gone for an interview with Spurs, and both bids were rejected. That's all I can reveal at the moment, but I will say things are looking up.

That's good then. I will disregard my source in future!

Gone for other candidates first, still no official approach, year after year of changing his mind, not committing to anything.

Tough one for MP really unless he really wants the money and London life. Few good signings at Saints and we probably have a 1% chance of pushing the top 4. Few good signings at Spurs and they probably have...a 5% chance?! Difference is, which club is more likely to sack him for not achieving it?

If you want London life there's not a lot to choose between us. Spurs's new training ground is just inside the M25 north of Enfield.

If you want London life there's not a lot to choose between us. Spurs's new training ground is just inside the M25 north of Enfield.

I don't think clubs insist these days that their players/managers live within a low-digit mile radius of ground/training ground.

It's not like Ballie insisting years ago that the p****y players live on the Septic Isle among the bestest.

When your earnings are in the seven-figure a year range, you don't have to sell your house.

Strachan still has a house in Hampshire, Pardew still has his house in Surrey, Redknapp has always lived on Sandbanks.

Poch could still live in Chilworth and be at Spurs training ground in less than two hours.

It's amazing what you can do with a fast powerful car and a motorway (even if it is the M25).

Quick update from a club source, No MP has not gone for an interview with Spurs, and both bids were rejected. That's all I can reveal at the moment, but I will say things are looking up.

I'm going to believe this man for no other reason than its what I want to hear

Gone for other candidates first, still no official approach, year after year of changing his mind, not committing to anything.

Tough one for MP really unless he really wants the money and London life. Few good signings at Saints and we probably have a 1% chance of pushing the top 4. Few good signings at Spurs and they probably have...a 5% chance?! Difference is, which club is more likely to sack him for not achieving it?

Why would MP actually be interested in Spurs? He is still a young manager and is building a cracking reputation.

The point is that he has the chance and the ability to become a REALLY good manager. Why Spurs? A year maybe two of big bucks.

Why? Give it another year here and he will be wanted by the next level of clubs. Maybe not Real Barca or Bayern but other competitive CL level clubs in Spain or Italy

A failure at Spurs with their track record may earn him some big bucks but could kill his career.... Plus they will not be in the CL any time soon.

Why would MP actually be interested in Spurs? He is still a young manager and is building a cracking reputation.

The point is that he has the chance and the ability to become a REALLY good manager. Why Spurs? A year maybe two of big bucks.

Why? Give it another year here and he will be wanted by the next level of clubs. Maybe not Real Barca or Bayern but other competitive CL level clubs in Spain or Italy

A failure at Spurs with their track record may earn him some big bucks but could kill his career.... Plus they will not be in the CL any time soon.

All of which assumes he can continue to be a success by staying with us - what happens if this season is as good as it gets? How will prospective employers view his record if the club tails off - a one season wonder? Note I don't think we've peaked and there's alot more than can be achieved within our constraints -just that the board might not see it that way.

With Spurs, there's massive upside (and downside); with us, in the absence of financial commitments, there's certainly job security -but few ways to enhance a reputation.

Edited by shurlock

All of which assumes he can continue to be a success by staying with us - what happens if this season is as good as it gets? How will prospective employers view his record if the club tails off - a one season wonder? Note I don't think we've peaked and there's alot more than can be achieved within our constraints -just that the board might not see it that way.

With Spurs, there's massive upside (and downside); with us, in the absence of financial commitments, there's certainly job security -but few ways to enhance a reputation.

Moyes made a reputation on keeping Everton solid.

All of which assumes he can continue to be a success by staying with us - what happens if this season is as good as it gets? How will prospective employers view his record if the club tails off - a one season wonder? Note I don't think we've peaked and there's alot more than can be achieved within our constraints but the board might not see it that way.

This season being as good as it gets....IF (and that might be a big if or not) we keep the squad and strengthen a bit, then I see no reason why we shouldn't improve. I know that there are a hell of a lot of "should haves" or "could haves" in this, but given the amount of possession we have we should have won a lot more games than we did. Maybe things even themselves out over the season, but I do think that the non-signing of a decent striker was a problem this season, and to that end, Osvaldo ****ed us up with his petulance. So the "should have" won games....

Sunderland at home and away +4

Norwich away +3

WHU home +3

Villa home +3

Spurs away +3

Cardiff home +3

etc etc. Maybe even both ManC and Arsenal at home.

As I say, things do even themselves out over the season. I also realise that all supporters see things through rose tinted glasses and see most games that they haven't won as "should have" won games. I am not really thinking that we should have got another 20+ points, more that we could have and the margin for not getting them was pretty small. If we had won those games, would it have been a surprise? Experience and depth of squad (to cover injuries) played their part.

My thoughts exactly. It would be a huge gamble going to Spurs. A sacking wouldn't look great no matter how well he did with us this season and lets be honest, if he isn't in a CL spot by December then they'll get rid.

Alternatively, he stays with us for another year, we push on a get say a 6th place finish, and then who knows who could be after him for the 2015/2016 season.

Moyes made a reputation on keeping Everton solid.

True, though that 10+ year record included a string of 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th finishes - I don't quite see that happening under MP without -and perhaps even with- financial commitment from the board.

Thought I would take a peep

And I see the usual stuff continues to be spouted, and as Dubai has stated why would he go to spurs,

exactly why would he go there He would be sacked in next to know time and certainly well before his year contract he has with us had expired,

One rumour I heard from a spud mate and I say a rumour but its been suggested that the spuds are considering one Mr Saggy Chops for their vacany

Thought I would take a peep

And I see the usual stuff continues to be spouted, and as Dubai has stated why would he go to spurs,

exactly why would he go there He would be sacked in next to know time and certainly well before his year contract he has with us had expired,

One rumour I heard from a spud mate and I say a rumour but its been suggested that the spuds are considering one Mr Saggy Chops for their vacany

Oh bless we all know what happens when he goes back to his Spiritual home(s)

This season being as good as it gets....IF (and that might be a big if or not) we keep the squad and strengthen a bit, then I see no reason why we shouldn't improve. I know that there are a hell of a lot of "should haves" or "could haves" in this, but given the amount of possession we have we should have won a lot more games than we did. Maybe things even themselves out over the season, but I do think that the non-signing of a decent striker was a problem this season, and to that end, Osvaldo ****ed us up with his petulance. So the "should have" won games....

Sunderland at home and away +4

Norwich away +3

WHU home +3

Villa home +3

Spurs away +3

Cardiff home +3

etc etc. Maybe even both ManC and Arsenal at home.

As I say, things do even themselves out over the season. I also realise that all supporters see things through rose tinted glasses and see most games that they haven't won as "should have" won games. I am not really thinking that we should have got another 20+ points, more that we could have and the margin for not getting them was pretty small. If we had won those games, would it have been a surprise? Experience and depth of squad (to cover injuries) played their part.

Totally agree - I think we're on the cusp of something and 56 points arguably understates how we performed over the season. And with the side's youth, we're only going to get better.

But as you say, keeping the squad together and if that's not possible (i) minimising departures (ii) securing a decent transfer budget and (iii) spending wisely -to cover not only the loss of key players but also gaping holes that were evident in the second half of the season are big, big IFs. Unless all three conditions are met, things could get difficult very quickly.

I don't think clubs insist these days that their players/managers live within a low-digit mile radius of ground/training ground.

It's not like Ballie insisting years ago that the p****y players live on the Septic Isle among the bestest.

When your earnings are in the seven-figure a year range, you don't have to sell your house.

Strachan still has a house in Hampshire, Pardew still has his house in Surrey, Redknapp has always lived on Sandbanks.

Poch could still live in Chilworth and be at Spurs training ground in less than two hours.

It's amazing what you can do with a fast powerful car and a motorway (even if it is the M25).

Quite so. The bulk of a player's time is spent at the training ground and not the stadium and the manager spends almost as much time there. To take it the other way round, if he wanted to live in London he could be down at Staplewood 3 or 4 days a week without any trouble and St. Mary's is not much over an hour away.

Does anyone think Spurs will achieve a top 4 place next season? I don't, regardless of who their manager is. Therefore I think, as others above have said, any manager is doomed.

Teams I think will be better than Spurs next season: Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and quite possibly Everton. I see Spurs coming bottom of the Prem 'A' League as some have described it, finihsing 7th.

They need a lot of work. Defence is pretty poor, need some more width, another striker. Given their record at buying players I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Man Utd need top 4 next season, it's vital but will be tough for them. Man City and Chelsea will contest the title. Arsenal will have to be careful, they will get caught out one of these years. Liverpool could drop out with all the extra fixtures, and I think their title implosion could have a very long hangover indeed. Honestly can see them back to 5th or 6th next year. Everton will struggle to recreate this season losing loan players, not such a surprise package etc.

It's always hard to predict. You think you could never finish above a team, then a side just keeps grinding out results and it happens.

One thing's for sure - it'll be an exciting season like it was this year! Everton have really impressed me this year - Lukaku will be a big loss to them but other than that I think they'll cope fine without the other loanees - Martinez will surely strengthen over summer and build on what is a pretty good core of players. Barkley could be a real monster for them next season.

When it is reported that Pochettino has already spoken/been to see Spurs, we are not talking of Pochettino himself. The only person at this stage who could be involved will be his agent, whom we now know as being Jonathan Barnett. Barnett has had a long history with Saints and was the man who set up Wayne Bridge leaving Saints. Barnett was not one of Rupert Lowe's favorite persons but he was often to be seen at St Mary's back 10-12 years ago.

Unless Pochettino's future is quickly decided, I don't hold out much for the World Cup success of all the Saints players who've been selected, unless these players have already sewn up leaving the club. Pochettino's decisions will have a big role to play in whether these players are at ease or on tenderhooks concerning their own futures.

When it is reported that Pochettino has already spoken/been to see Spurs, we are not talking of Pochettino himself. The only person at this stage who could be involved will be his agent, whom we now know as being Jonathan Barnett. Barnett has had a long history with Saints and was the man who set up Wayne Bridge leaving Saints. Barnett was not one of Rupert Lowe's favorite persons but he was often to be seen at St Mary's back 10-12 years ago.

Unless Pochettino's future is quickly decided, I don't hold out much for the World Cup success of all the Saints players who've been selected, unless these players have already sewn up leaving the club. Pochettino's decisions will have a big role to play in whether these players are at ease or on tenderhooks concerning their own futures.

An interesting point, but one not to be overplayed methinks.

Does anyone think Spurs will achieve a top 4 place next season? I don't, regardless of who their manager is. Therefore I think, as others above have said, any manager is doomed.

Teams I think will be better than Spurs next season: Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and quite possibly Everton. I see Spurs coming bottom of the Prem 'A' League as some have described it, finihsing 7th.

I really can't say, if the new manager can get something out of Lamela,Soldado etc they could be very well placed....if they can find some defenders..hopefully not ours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2628151/Southampton-players-think-Mauricio-Pochettino-leave-summer-Tottenham-likely-destination.html

Someone lock me in a dark room and wake me up when all this is over. How the hell am I supposed to get any work done FFS!

Regardless of whether this is true or not, it is a pretty terrible article. Nothing to back anything up here. Could be driven by anyone, agents, other clubs, etc... But then I don't think it makes much difference what is said in the media, it's what's going on behind the scenes at Southampton that counts. And so far everything I've seen and heard has been pretty good.

I think so much depends on the ambition of the board, lallana and schneiderlin have basically came out in interviews and said they would like to stay as long as we push on.

Basically if the board can say to pochettino we are not going to sell key players unless you say so and sell it to him that they want to improve last years finish and push for europe we could keep him adz and shaw.

If we dont and one goes i think we could see the domino effect and the other players will know we have no ambition and it could very well explode.

We knew cortese was a ambitious man, perhaps this is his reason for leaving that the club was not going to match his ambitions so he thought ive taken this club as far as it will go.

Question is now how ambitious are the board we have in place ?

We knew cortese was a ambitious man, perhaps this is his reason for leaving that the club was not going to match his ambitions so he thought ive taken this club as far as it will go.

Goodness me, that's some good revisionist theory.

Spurs fans really don't seem that keen on Mopo (then again not to many saints fans where that keen when he first came here either) quite an amusing thread below on a spurs forum.

http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/forum/players-lounge/36221-hands-off-pochettino.html

If Mopo does goes to spurs does that mean Frank De Boer is available? I reckon that would be awesome (though sadly unlikely).

Spurs fans really don't seem that keen on Mopo (then again not to many saints fans where that keen when he first came here either) quite an amusing thread below on a spurs forum.

http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/forum/players-lounge/36221-hands-off-pochettino.html

If Mopo does goes to spurs does that mean Frank De Boer is available? I reckon that would be awesome (though sadly unlikely).

Would be an absolute superb replacement but extremely unlikely due to lack of European football.

Don't blame them. Massive gamble for them - Poch has no Champions League pedigree at all. He's been a solid mid table manager in two countries, excluding the blip half season at the bottom of La Liga.

Not quite the golden ticket to the top four appointment yer average Spurs fan is looking for.

Spurs don't deserve him -awful support, just a few chavvy chromosomes removed from Chelsea fans and a bit more ethnically diverse than the joey essexes down the Boleyn. If it aint flashy or new, theyre not interested. Forget that's why they've been so s**t since Arry left. What has FdB achieved outside a very poor domestic league in European competitions? Arguably he's more of a gamble than MP.

Oh good, someone else pretending to be a poster on another forum :lol: Almost as fun as the 70 MLG threads they had going.

Don't blame them. Massive gamble for them - Poch has no Champions League pedigree at all. He's been a solid mid table manager in two countries, excluding the blip half season at the bottom of La Liga.

Not quite the golden ticket to the top four appointment yer average Spurs fan is looking for.

Whilst that analysis is true, I think MP has gained a reputation for playing attractive possession football which has stood out in the EPL this season. So I can see why Levy might go for him, even if it doesn't last long... lets face it, not many Managers can deal with him.