Les Reed's Video

sydneysaint17

Some very reassuring comments in the video. It is nice to have it said directly that the people in charge are fully aware of the effect a new manager may have on the player's desire to stay or leave. That doesn't sound like Malky Mackay, Sean Dyche or Felix Magath (though in honesty none of them seem to have been close to the job at any point).

I'm happy to see that the public opinion of Les Reed is changing to the more positive, but sad to see that it is at the expense of Ralph Krueger. But it seems that for some reason we need a scapegoat / lightning rod...

The interview made me feel more positive about the way the club is being run and more optimistic that they intend the squad to be stronger next year. The omission was an explanation of why Rickie Lambert was sold before the new manager was in place, contrary to the stated policy. Leaving it out was probably better than saying they did it for the player's sake, which would have been contradictory to the assurance that decisions are always in the best interests of the club. I was left wanting to trust LR but that one decision on Lambert just left an element of doubt. Ultimately it will be actions that will be used to judge them, but in the meantime the club can only use words and I thought it was a very good decision to communicate with the fans in the way they did.

The interview made me feel more positive about the way the club is being run and more optimistic that they intend the squad to be stronger next year. The omission was an explanation of why Rickie Lambert was sold before the new manager was in place, contrary to the stated policy. Leaving it out was probably better than saying they did it for the player's sake, which would have been contradictory to the assurance that decisions are always in the best interests of the club. I was left wanting to trust LR but that one decision on Lambert just left an element of doubt. Ultimately it will be actions that will be used to judge them, but in the meantime the club can only use words and I thought it was a very good decision to communicate with the fans in the way they did.

The club have already explained this though haven't they?

I'm normally something of a clapper, but feel like I've watched 20 minutes of nothing.

The Lambert transfer is conspicuous by its absence, probably because it's such a departure from the "no players will be sold until a manager arrives" line.

Of course, this'll all come good if the things Les is saying are true.

Blah, MoPo, Blah, Lambert, Blah....Lallana, Blah....Shaw.

Lord Haw Haw speaks.......If only his talent matched his ego.

...and don't forget to renew your season tickets folks......as the future is bright.

A very well thought-out, intelligent and constructive post. Well done you.....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

...and don't forget to renew your season tickets folks......as the future is bright.

The very, very short message from Les Reed is as follows:

- We have the managerial situation covered and we won't hire some clown. We'll get a decent one!

- No players are leaving right now so just lean back and enjoy that d*mn World Cup!

You're welcome ;)

LR couldn't have done much more, in the real world, IMO.

He's got an old-skool football gaffer speaking style, but without the bluster (Roy Kinnear, I'm talking about you) or pig-headedness (Allardyce!) that can be embarrassing to listen to. Something about his manner gave me the impression he can be pretty persistent, and not easily rattled.

Given that he's been here since our lowest recent ebb (league 1, minus10, 2008, lest we forget) and it's been onwards-and-upwards since, my sense was that Shaw and Lallana have probably been handed copies of their contracts, and very politely been told to calm the f*** down til a new manager arrives.

Some will be riled by all the talk of data sets, video panels, audits etc. I wouldn't worry- he's basically saying: We are very well informed and don't rely on hearsay, chitchat, or what 'Arry said through his car window.

Good job, all told.

An extremely good and articulate interview that should completely put all fans at ease, I feel 100% confident that the club is in safe hands With Les Reed as director of footballing matters, he has had a MAJOR MAJOR role in getting this club where it is today, he has given absolutely no reason what so ever to doubt his involvement since he joined in April 2010.

The summer activity can only be judged come next May.

I have every confidence that all decisions made by the club will be in the clubs best interested. Excited about next season 

LR couldn't have done much more, in the real world, IMO.

He's got an old-skool football gaffer speaking style, but without the bluster (Roy Kinnear, I'm talking about you) or pig-headedness (Allardyce!) that can be embarrassing to listen to. Something about his manner gave me the impression he can be pretty persistent, and not easily rattled.

Given that he's been here since our lowest recent ebb (league 1, minus10, 2008, lest we forget) and it's been onwards-and-upwards since, my sense was that Shaw and Lallana have probably been handed copies of their contracts, and very politely been told to calm the f*** down til a new manager arrives.

Some will be riled by all the talk of data sets, video panels, audits etc. I wouldn't worry- he's basically saying: We are very well informed and don't rely on hearsay, chitchat, or what 'Arry said through his car window.

Good job, all told.

Which team was Roy Kinnear involved with?

His son played the pig-fúcking PM in Black Mirror, y'know.

A very good interview, IMHO. Looks like we will find out who the new manager is soon; hopefully it will be Koeman or Yakin. Yes, we will probably sell one or both of Lallana or Shaw, but at least we are reassured that those funds will be put towards their replacements. Looking forward to finding out who our home friendly will be against on 9th August, and I firmly intend to be there!!

In fairness: Forren was a panic buy; Mayuka and Gaston are both young and could well come good if given a run in the team and Osvaldo was at Poch's insistence rather than being someone specifically scouted, a la Dejan and Vic who've been far more successful...

That's how I see those transfers as well. I didn't notice anyone on here complaining about us signing any of them at the time we did. Mayuka and Gaston, at the time they were signed, were both highly rated and sought after by many clubs. Osvaldo was a regular Italian international. Not every signing works out for us, unfortunately.

Laughable, if it was not so serious IMHO. Well orchestrated questions list. Nothing awkward, nothing direct. What were the reasons that MoPo left then ?, wasn't asked. And was he serious when he inferred that SFC was on the ball re getting a replacement when MoPo left [Why should we NOT believe him? We appointed MP the day NA left]. Good job we were Les, otherwise the next Manager will still be being introduced to the players come August 2nd

Of course he intends to keep all the core players, but only if the core players want to stay. Will Shaw go to ManU if he wants ? Will Lallana go to Liverpool if he wants ? Wasn't asked. Yet we all know that if players want to go, they go. [Whats the point in asking, if we already know the answer then?]

All Sir Les was faffing on about was how great Staplewood is and how the players will be so excited about using the facilities. Only if they want to Les [Would you prefer we were still working out of portacabins? And Staplewood was only a small part of the 25 min interview.]

comments above.

God you're negative

He said in the interview that, at the time of his last interview/press release there had been no offers accepted for any players... but obviously Liverpool came in for Rickie, and after weighing up the bid, it was accepted.

not difficult to comprehend, is it?

Laughable, if it was not so serious IMHO. Well orchestrated questions list. Nothing awkward, nothing direct. What were the reasons that MoPo left then ?, wasn't asked. And was he serious when he inferred that SFC was on the ball re getting a replacement when MoPo left. Good job we were Les, otherwise the next Manager will still be being introduced to the players come August 2nd

Of course he intends to keep all the core players, but only if the core players want to stay. Will Shaw go to ManU if he wants ? Will Lallana go to Liverpool if he wants ? Wasn't asked. Yet we all know that if players want to go, they go.

All Sir Les was faffing on about was how great Staplewood is and how the players will be so excited about using the facilities. Only if they want to Les ,

Do you walk around under your own personal cloud? :?

An extremely good and articulate interview that should completely put all fans at ease, I feel 100% confident that the club is in safe hands With Les Reed as director of footballing matters, he has had a MAJOR MAJOR role in getting this club where it is today, he has given absolutely no reason what so ever to doubt his involvement since he joined in April 2010.

The summer activity can only be judged come next May.

I have every confidence that all decisions made by the club will be in the clubs best interested. Excited about next season 

Playing devil's advocate, the thing that annoyed me about the interview was the complete lack of anything concrete, save the foundations on the new training facilities.

We're told that a deal for a new manager is close, and that we've had very high quality applicants - but there's a difference between words and actions, a criticism that many have leveled at the new board since its formation.

We were also told that we weren't going to ship any players we didn't want to, or without the direction of the new manager.

The problem for Les is that of all the things he's said, very little has actually come to fruition. If all those things he's saying finish up with decent end product, I might start clapping a bit more happily. So far, either nowt has happened or worse, the complete opposite has, such as with Rickie's transfer.

I know there are mitigating factors behind the move, but even so, it's deeds I'll be judging this interview on, not words.

So you've got a short attention span then? Or just incapable of responding with anything else coherent by way of constructive criticism?

He said in the interview that, at the time of his last interview/press release there had been no offers accepted for any players... but obviously Liverpool came in for Rickie, and after weighing up the bid, it was accepted.

not difficult to comprehend, is it?

Not difficult to comprehend, but definitely contrary to the policy line that Reed is stating in his interview - no players to be sold without consulting the new manager. I thought it was a good interview, but the Rickie sale is the one thing that was not explained. I still think it would have been better to have taken the line that Reed has given now on transfers with the Lambert one as well, even if that had not gone down well with Rickie himself. If Liverpool really wanted him, they would have come back after the new manager was in place.

It appears that Saints allowed themselves to be bullied by Liverpool into making a decision "not in the best interests of the club", but in the best interests of Lambert and Liverpool. It would have been nice to hear Reed's side of why that decision was made and how it fits with the stated policy.

It appears that Saints allowed themselves to be bullied by Liverpool into making a decision "not in the best interests of the club", but in the best interests of Lambert and Liverpool. It would have been nice to hear Reed's side of why that decision was made and how it fits with the stated policy.

It was in the interests of the club to get a significant fee for a 32 year old high earner who wanted to leave. Rickie was turning into another Mark Hughes at the end of his career - had been a top forward but was dropping into midfield. Liverpool will use him sparingly. We wanted to flog him every week because we lacked anyone else, thats why we lacked edge upfront.

I don't think the club really needs to explain the Lambert transfer further. We'll probably never know the details of the timing or who said what, but the basic reasoning still stands:

"There may be circumstances under which the club will feel it is right for a player to move on. Those circumstances have to be right for the club and the player. This is the case with Rickie’s move to Liverpool.

When Rickie Lambert requested to leave for Liverpool, the club felt it could not stand in the way of having him fulfil his boyhood dream of playing at home. It will be a big challenge to replace him and our intention is to source a quality replacement who will fill his shoes now but also for many years to come." (Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/02062014-statement-player-interest-rickie-lambert-1592309.aspx#8XteYUJ6ObYIv7mT.99)

I don't see why this needs to be dragged into the excellent and forwards looking interview, when all he would do is to reiterate the above.

Not difficult to comprehend, but definitely contrary to the policy line that Reed is stating in his interview - no players to be sold without consulting the new manager. I thought it was a good interview, but the Rickie sale is the one thing that was not explained. I still think it would have been better to have taken the line that Reed has given now on transfers with the Lambert one as well, even if that had not gone down well with Rickie himself. If Liverpool really wanted him, they would have come back after the new manager was in place.

I disagree. It's pretty clear that SRL wasn't in the long term plans of the club and despite the fans love of the man, myself included, there is no sentiment in football hence trying to sell him in Jan'. It's a decent bit of business by the club, despite the pain it caused/causes us fans.

Unfortunately, Mr Kreuger's interview of late May, which came so disastrously undone within hours with the quick sale of Rickie, has made a number of posters understandably wary of comments from the SFC Board.

Were a Senior Government Minister to say, for example, "we won't raise taxes" and then the next day taxes are increased - would you vote for that Government again?

Having said that, Mr Reed came across very well; calm and composed, thoughtful and positive. However, an interview is only as good as the questions asked and clearly this interview had its shortcomings; but it was a master-class in damage control.

I disagree. It's pretty clear that SRL wasn't in the long term plans of the club and despite the fans love of the man, myself included, there is no sentiment in football hence trying to sell him in Jan'. It's a decent bit of business by the club, despite the pain it caused/causes us fans.

Plus this way round, i.e. it being the first bit of business, we have the new manager and new player appointments and the friendlies (the marquee ones :D) to cheer us all up after so we gradually accept it overt the summer.

If we sold him right at the end of the summer that would leave us in a downer right before the start of the season.

This looks like the best way to do it and if we're all honest and take our red and white tinted glasses off, this was going to happen very soon anyway (saying goodbye to Rickie). I'm happier he gets this prem retirement package to his boyhood club rather than becomes a bench warmer we barely see for the club and then ends up disappearing one summer on a free. Plus it frees up the high salary.

Maybe so, but this suggests that it's "the club" making decisions on which players to keep/sell rather than the manager? I would understand the decision to sell more if it weren't for all the uncertainty over the future of other key players. If we knew everyone else was staying, I would be more happy to see Rickie move on, but we may well lose several more, so my view is it would have been better to make an informed choice when the new manager is in place, so he could review the whole squad, not just treat Lambert as an individual case.

Let's be clear that this was an interview that was under the club's control. Nevertheless, there is a suggestion that the team which starts the season will not be a weakened one. That contributes towards me feeling somewhat less despondent, but I will retain the right to be cautious.

The one thing he said that I found interesting was that we hadn't received as many bids as he had expected, there had been lots of enquiries but not many bids.

Otherwise, as others have said, this was a reassuring interview. For me we need to announce the next manager as soon as we can and then re-assess things.

Fascinating interview. Really enjoyed watching that, its good to get a perspective on the processes of player recruitment and the way its done. I feel a lot more reassured by that interview than by the Kreuger one, tbh.

All feeling so reassured this morning still ?

Have you watched it? I'm sure you would have called for an update like this.

It all still looks a professional set up.

You can't ask for more than huge bids turned down and a guarantee if new decides players leave all funds reinvested.

All feeling so reassured this morning still ?

More to the point, why should anyone who did feel reassured by it, NOT now feel reassured, just because one more piece of alleged information has come out?

People (not just you) need to stop reacting to every tiny rumour. Turn the computer off, go do stuff, come back every few weeks to judge the situation on EVERYTHING that happens, rather than knee-jerking your way to a breakdown because you hang on every word that comes from, literally, anywhere.

And I do mean that seriously... it's not healthy for some of you.

Depends on whether you believe him or not. The longer we go without appointing a manager, the less inclined I am to believe him.

Yes, Les Reed was sent out to deliver to fans a message that was a pack of lies - because that's how the club has acted ever since the Liebherrs took over.

Jesus Christ. What would the body count be on here were a scooter to have a minor backfire?

Depends on whether you believe him or not. The longer we go without appointing a manager, the less inclined I am to believe him.

Why? Genuine question - what factors do you think are at play here, and how is the time taken to appoint somehow linked to whether Les was being honest or not?

Personally, I think that a robust recruitment process *should* take time. I would be worried if it were too quick.

Why? Genuine question - what factors do you think are at play here, and how is the time taken to appoint somehow linked to whether Les was being honest or not?

Personally, I think that a robust recruitment process *should* take time. I would be worried if it were too quick.

I don't blame him personally if he is wheeled out to give a real positive message, which he has done, but also did before we lost our manager and striker.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the time being taken is either the club dithering, or the club not being able to finalise a deal for who they do want. I'm not sure that it is a robust process.

Only my opinion. Fair play to you Minty for asking a genuine question rather than make a sarcastic comment.

Story so far, MoPo has gone-you may want to check Les Reed's view of the liklihood of that happening in April/May- remember all that talk about making plans together and being on top of the whole MoPo new contract situation....just relax people-all quite smug and condescending, a nice pat on the head for the great unwashed masses . Then whack-brick wall-MoPo gone with no successor in waiting.

After that we were told that no-one would be leaving-Rickie Lambert, the club's totem then left.

Fonte and Cork have still not been offered new contracts which makes no commercial sense ( value now say £8 million, value in summer 2015 zero...) let alone footballing sense. I doubt very much that they would take up the opportunity any time so if now offered.

Lovren transfer request, with Shaw and Lallana to follow.

Frankly if anybody fancies a brewery trip anytime soon I wouldn't recommend you put Ralph and Les in charge of logistics.

Story so far, MoPo has gone-you may want to check Les Reed's view of the liklihood of that happening in April/May- remember all that talk about making plans together and being on top of the whole MoPo new contract situation....just relax people-all quite smug and condescending, a nice pat on the head for the great unwashed masses . Then whack-brick wall-MoPo gone with no successor in waiting.

After that we were told that no-one would be leaving-Rickie Lambert, the club's totem then left.

Fonte and Cork have still not been offered new contracts which makes no commercial sense ( value now say £8 million, value in summer 2015 zero...) let alone footballing sense. I doubt very much that they would take up the opportunity any time so if now offered.

Frankly if anybody fancies a brewery trip anytime soon I wouldn't recommend you put Ralph and Les in charge of logistics.

You're obviously concerned at what's happening in the club, but I'm not sure it's really as bad as you make out.

- What makes you think the board weren't as surprised by Maurcio's departure as the fans were - there is no evidence that they're actively trying to deceive the fans.

- Rickie Lambert leaving can probably be regarded as an exception and not the rule for various reasons (namely Lambert's personal service and attitude along with business potential).

- On that note, it makes fine business sense to wait on Cork and Fonte until the manager arrives - what if RoKo didn't want Fonte but we had tied him down to a longer, more expensive contract?

- Yes, there's been a transfer request from Lovren, but this isn't irreparable. Any unrest from Lallana has yet to be fully attributed to the player himself, and Shaw is most likely going to leave no matter what happens.

There's really no need to be quite so cynical. I suggest waiting until a manager is appointed so as to avoid making any uninformed and misguided judgements.

How I feel, and much better expressed than my effort.

I raelly do not understand what the problem is. We have been told that the paperwork is being done and that the manager will be announced when the time is right. Just because they are working to their own timescale and not to those on here who want everything yesterday why does that mean the Board cannot organise a p*ss up in a brewery? It suits some to believe that the club cannot function without Cortese. They clearly can and I dont see that they can do anymore than what they have done so far given the circumstances. Give them a break.

I raelly do not understand what the problem is. We have been told that the paperwork is being done and that the manager will be announced when the time is right. Just because they are working to their own timescale and not to those on here who want everything yesterday why does that mean the Board cannot organise a p*ss up in a brewery? It suits some to believe that the club cannot function without Cortese. They clearly can and I dont see that they can do anymore than what they have done so far given the circumstances. Give them a break.

The problem, I think we can ALL accept, is that everyone has a different level of expectation and anxiety. So as much as I completely agree with you, nothing you or I or others with similar views say will change the view of the likes of saintbob40, Wade Garrett etc, because this is all about our own personalities and how we deal with news and react to things.

Which is why all of this discussion is ultimately pretty pointless.

The problem, I think we can ALL accept, is that everyone has a different level of expectation and anxiety. So as much as I completely agree with you, nothing you or I or others with similar views say will change the view of the likes of saintbob40, Wade Garrett etc, because this is all about our own personalities and how we deal with news and react to things.

Which is why all of this discussion is ultimately pretty pointless.

Agreed and to quote my wife... It's just a game, it's really not that important in the wide scheme of things!