Koeman Appointed

Saint Garrett

We will see won't we.

Don't worry - the pure solid gold that is Alpine-the-England-fan still has weeks to run.

To recap: spends weeks ranting how he's "always been anti-England" and how he "so hopes we go out in the first round". Add in a shed load of hate filled bile at all the players and the manager. All in all, the full on "I hope we lose" act.

And then, despite all this, goes utterly apes hit when we do lose.

What an utter effing plank.

Edited by CB Fry

Will be a decent appointment for us but there are a few concerns I have. Mainly his record outside Holland is a bit iffy. Secondly at Feyenoord his transfer activity was mostly to bring in frees. 14 of his 18 transfers were on frees. That isn't to say we should expect that here it is simply saying he is used to building teams without spending much. That could be a good thing of course but in the PL you will not get far with a team of frees imo.

I think he will do a good job here if he is given the funds and freedom to do as he sees fit. Build his own team. Maybe go back for Pelle and Kongolo as they would be good additions to the team.

Thank fook is was not Bruce though!

That's because Feyenoord was broke

"As well as an excellent man-manager, he is very wise tactically, having piloted the 5-3-2 system this season with Feyenoord, the formation the Netherlands used to dismantle Spain 5-1 in the World Cup this month. Furthermore, he takes young talented players and makes them better, more technical and intelligent. In fact, five of the 23-man Netherlands squad for the World Cup came from Koeman’s Feyenoord."

At last, something in The Mirror that didn't make me :mcinnes:!

The future looks bright, the future looks red and white and... orange!

Don't worry - the pure solid gold that is Alpine-the-England-fan still has weeks to run.

To recap: spends weeks ranting how he's "always been anti-England" and how he "so hopes we go out in the first round". Add in a shed load of hate filled bile at all the players and the manager. All in all, the full on "I hope we lose" act.

And then, despite all this, goes utterly apes hit when we do lose.

What an utter effing plank.

I feel sorry for you and the sad little obsessions you develop...........

I remember last time we finished 8th in the prem. and we missed the chance to "move up to the next level" partly due to finance & partly a lack of ambition.

This time the ambition is in place, the finance is in place.

The future is bright the future is Orange (sorry couldn't resist it!)

Nope, don't think any did when Poch was appointed at the time, either.

IIRC, Shaw and a couple of others tweeted when they met Poch for the first time.

Seem to remember people saying the players weren't tweeting because they were all in tears over Nigel's dismissal. Clearly wasn't the case, though.

Ronald Koeman' date=' on 13th October 1993, you brought down David Platt as he was clean through on goal, in the penalty box. Only a free kick was given and you were not sent off. You then scored a free kick on the way to a 2-0 win for the Dutch. It cost us a place at the 1994 World Cup finals. At the time I was cross, particularly with you. I now realise I was wrong. It was only David Platt; he'd have missed anyway. We wouldn't have won the tournament, even if we'd got to the finals, probably exiting on penalties to the Germans. You did us a favour really. And now over 20 years on, you have arrived in Southampton. Hail Ronald, a true Saint. Until you leave for Spurs in 18 months...[/quote']

Thankyou. I laughed a lot

What a great response from the club to all the tales of woe in the media about how we were on the brink of a meltdown after Cortese left and then the same reaction from them when Pochettino left. All of our best players had apparently all decided which clubs they were going to go to and even their salaries were all agreed, their signatures a mere formality. Katharina was preparing to sell the club off piecemeal as she had no further interest in us and Les Reed was hated by all and sundry and just not up to the job.

Now here we are having appointed the highest profile manager in our history, a man known throughout World football as a player and one who had also made a name for himself in management at some of Europe's big clubs, having won some silverware along the way. His reputation for attacking football, his high scoring teams and development of promising youngsters is a perfect fit with the infrastructure we have here. If those players who had allegedly wished to leave still want to, then there is reason for confidence that a man of his calibre and connections, will be able to replace them with players at least as good. But it might be that those players of ours will be pursuaded that their own ambitions might yet be fulfilled here under Koeman, or at least they ought to give him a chance before they act too hastily.

Like Pochettino, Koeman is an unknown quantity in English football, but whatever happens, the next season is going to be an exciting prospect, with the possibility that losing Pochettino to gain Koeman might turn out to be a blessing in surprise. If Koeman uses us as a stepping stone to even greater things like the management of one of the European super teams or the Dutch national team, that is the likely result of him having a very successful time here.

So well done Les Reed and heartfelt thanks to Katharina.

Don't cry for me Pochettino

The truth is I never loved you

All through my wild days

My mad existence

I kept my promise

Now keep your distance

Great, but it should be all of us, so;

Don't cry for us Pochettino

The truth is we never loved you

All through our wild days

Our mad existence

WE kept OUR promise

Now keep your distance

And as for fortune and as for fame

White Hart Lane invited you in

Though it seemed to the world

They were all you desired

They are illusionists

They're not the solutions

Levy promised them to be

The answer was here all the time

Spurs aren't what they first seemed to be

No talk in the interview about the new TG?

Surely he must have been guided around those facilities....

A couple of different thoughts..

The best choice at the moment to be able to keep players on board imo.

The football hipster in me would´ve loved Tuchel or Yakin but Koeman is probably the best choice in this situation.

But they need to quickly draw up a new project to interest players in staying and also for new players coming in. Fans might not like the word project but all clubs have their projects tbf. Some have them 1 year at the time as in staying in the league or targets like that but the best clubs are those that can make projects for 3-5 yrs at a time and stand by that during those years.

We should look to consolidate top 8 spot in the league, that should from now on be minimum target but next step is being a top 6 team.

What could really interest players that are unsure of staying is a new marquee signing, are the board prepare to fund that without selling any star player?

Players that has flourished under Koeman is for example Farfán, Afellay so we´ll probably see a couple more pacey players coming in...

Decent article that sums up his background from last year. http://www.totalbarca.com/2013/opinion-pieces/filling-the-boots-a-case-for-koeman/

According to the interview, Ronald will meet the players in 2 weeks time (obviously likes of Shaw,Lallana will be given longer because of the WC). Be interesting to see what approach the club takes with Osvaldo who will be due back in two weeks. Will Ronald be allowed to integrate him? Or are his hands tied and the club have already decided to keep Osvaldo away from the club until a move is agreed for him? Should make for an interesting first training session with Fonte and Osvaldo both expected back.

Nope, my proverbial cupboard is bare.

Glad the crap is over, feels like we've turned a corner. Hopefully having a committed experienced manager will now keep the wolves at bay.

Hopefully normal service resumed at SMS.

Alpine thinks our new manager should be committed and he's not been in the post 4 hr's FFS

What a great response from the club to all the tales of woe in the media about how we were on the brink of a meltdown after Cortese left and then the same reaction from them when Pochettino left. All of our best players had apparently all decided which clubs they were going to go to and even their salaries were all agreed, their signatures a mere formality. Katharina was preparing to sell the club off piecemeal as she had no further interest in us and Les Reed was hated by all and sundry and just not up to the job.

Now here we are having appointed the highest profile manager in our history, a man known throughout World football as a player and one who had also made a name for himself in management at some of Europe's big clubs, having won some silverware along the way. His reputation for attacking football, his high scoring teams and development of promising youngsters is a perfect fit with the infrastructure we have here. If those players who had allegedly wished to leave still want to, then there is reason for confidence that a man of his calibre and connections, will be able to replace them with players at least as good. But it might be that those players of ours will be pursuaded that their own ambitions might yet be fulfilled here under Koeman, or at least they ought to give him a chance before they act too hastily.

Like Pochettino, Koeman is an unknown quantity in English football, but whatever happens, the next season is going to be an exciting prospect, with the possibility that losing Pochettino to gain Koeman might turn out to be a blessing in surprise. If Koeman uses us as a stepping stone to even greater things like the management of one of the European super teams or the Dutch national team, that is the likely result of him having a very successful time here.

So well done Les Reed and heartfelt thanks to Katharina.

Well said Wes

I totally agree I think Koeman will be better than Judas Pochettino

As our fat friend says, the level of literacy on this site never ceases to etc etc.

Can you provide a little chart detailing acceptable types of personal attack?

So far, I have:-

Fatist/weightist = ok

Homophobia = bad

e usual wisdom from a skate in the skysports comments " Haha typical saints going after pompey's scraps. We were offered him years ago and we didnt want him. No wonder you lot have never come out of our shadow. No trophies in years and relegation this year for sure." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep, that seems an accurate assessment of pompey's chances for next season.

Great, but it should be all of us, so;

Don't cry for us Pochettino

The truth is we never loved you

All through our wild days

Our mad existence

WE kept OUR promise

Now keep your distance

And as for fortune and as for fame

White Hart Lane invited you in

Though it seemed to the world

They were all you desired

They are illusionists

They're not the solutions

Levy promised them to be

The answer was here all the time

Spurs aren't what they first seemed to be

Well done guys, a really great rendition that will await the Judas's return to St Mary's

I believe it should be " The truth is YOU never loved US"

We did love him but all the time he was scheming his next move. He'd have gone even if Cortese had been here. One only needs to speak with Ossie Ardilles to know he was working towards a move to Spuds months ago