Koeman Appointed

Saint Garrett

I don't know why so many people on here got so worked up when Poch went and thought this was the beginning of the end.....I stated at the time and stand by what i said then.....there was no way KL was going to let either Cortese or Mopo get one over her and undo everything her father dreamed off. I wasn't sure about her when her father died and had my reservations, but by the end of last season i was convinced she was here long term and she has proved this right today. Thankyou to the Liebber family for your continuing support of our club.

anyone remember the last pre-season we had there circa 2000? Much fun had by all!

YES! Decided to go on the evening/early morning of the game. Drove from Southampton, on the tunnel, arrived with about 30 mins to go, and returned back immediately after the game.

was absolutely knackered and cant remember driving home from past Winchester!

happy days

I'm much more confident about having a decent squad by the end of the transfer window now, irrespective of what happens with the jewels.

Even if this appoint fails to achieve what we want, you can't blame the board for trying. This is one of the best appointments we could've made, especially with some of the names the threads have produced in the last few weeks.

Yup this.

It's a risk, like every appointment or signing. Of course there is a chance it won't work out.

This certainly doesn't suggest a dialling down of what we have seen in recent years.

Indeed. How many failed attempts is this now...? :)

So many that some might consider it depressing ;)

Seriously though, I'm so chuffed at this news that I'm half expecting some kind of catch. Such a decent signing on paper and a real marker for both our present condition and future level of aspiration.

Seriously though, I'm so chuffed at this news that I'm half expecting some kind of catch. Such a decent signing on paper and a real marker for both our present condition and future level of aspiration.

i reckon the catch will be that Lallana and Shaw will still be on their way, but Koeman will get the majority of the transfer fee to reinvest. I could live with that to be quite honest, I imagine he's got some very good connections.

Really pleased with that, hopefully it will put rumours of our immanent demise to bed there's no way he came her to oversee an asset strip.

Finally some positive news in this summer or discontented rumblings!

He won't have final say on who stays and who goes and you can't keep players that want to move on. Don't believe for a moment that clubs aren't capable of promising the new manager everything and then going back on it all once they are in....they aren't going to attract a decent manager by telling him they plan to flog our best players and give him peanuts to replace them...

He was a world class player in his day and his name is known all around the world - he will have respect from the start!

If he turns out to be as good as manager as he was a player, then we will be in for a fine old time!

Welcome "Big Ron" !!

Have to say, I am very happy

He was an absolute outstanding player

been there and won the lot. Scored the winner in a European cup final and has been around as a manager doing good things

great deal by the club.

well done les reed

anyone remember the last pre-season we had there circa 2000? Much fun had by all!

Yep! Was a fine trip. And I hate to admit it, but the last preseason away match I went to. Unless you count Winchester!

This has been in the pipeline for weeks, he's always been the outstanding candidate of those legitimately linked. You don't often get the opportunity to appoint someone of such calibre and ilk as your manager - was way too good an opportunity for the club to pass up, so I'm glad they made it happen.

It's also pretty impressive that we have another manager as assistant - Erwin's record isn't too shabby either as a manager, he's even been an international manager in the past.

All being all, it looks and feels like an international and high class managerial team - in terms of stature within the game, it's a step up. It's the level of appointment we needed to make to help turn the heads of Adam, Lovren and co - this may make them just think for a second. There will be question marks over his ability to adapt abroad, as he's only been a big success as a manager in his home country - but this club provides him with the perfect set of tools to make a name for himself I feel.

He has managed some of the biggest clubs in the world, and played for them. His winning % has only dropped bellow 50% at Valencia - I'd say that's pretty epic.

Now let's get cracking on preparing for the season - he's got a good 6-8 weeks now.

A managerial appointment that is received favourably by the fans? This doesn't bode well.

Easily the first appointment that's been received well by all that I can remember in a long time. Last one was possibly Pardew? (But even at the time, not everyone was happy with that). Adkins was a total let down for a lot of people at the time he was appointed, and MP was just hated from the word go because of how he came in!

This guy was wanted from the start...and we got him.

So what do you think of our meltdown Crab Lungs? You told us it was all going to hell in a handcart. While it still might, thank god the decision makers are made of sterner stuff than many of our "want it all now" fan base. Welcome Koeman and please be a huge success!