Koeman Appointed

Saint Garrett

Undoubtedly a quality manager (which means nothing as good managers fail at certain clubs) and excitement will be back at the club, would have prefered someone with a record of staying somewhere for more than a couple of years but is that even possible nowadays? Other than Wenger and the hairdryer, overall very happy

is he not credited with the invention of the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation?

Likes to involve the youth set up where possible

Typical Dutch style of play, but he can be a hard b'stard when he needs to be

Thinking out loud...... Maybe they will be directly involved in running the development squad, which might explain why there has seemingly been no rush to replace Dodd and Williams?

Thinking out loud...... Maybe they will be directly involved in running the development squad, which might explain why there has seemingly been no rush to replace Dodd and Williams?

Dodd and Williams were managing the under 18's, not the development squad. Martin Hunter is still the development squad (under 21's) manager.

Is it the wrong time to admit that for a while he was in my Adrian Heath drawer for hated players after hauling David Platt back, then Conning the ref to only give a free kick and then going up the other end and scoring???

Wonder what Lawrie will have to say when they meet LOL.

but being serious, think it's an appointment that makes a statement. Hope it all works out well.

Dodd and Williams were managing the under 18's, not the development squad. Martin Hunter is still the development squad (under 21's) manager.

Yep, sorry, that's what I meant...."the youngsters" (regardless of which age group they're in). Just wondering if the Koeman brothers will have a more direct role in coaching/managing the younger players

Even being reported on Reuters who used his TINTIN nickname to announce him joining Saints.

All he disgust and shame brought about the betrayal of Lallana has been washed away by this amazing appointment. Like us all I am bursting with pride and filled with gratitude to Katrina Liebherr. Les Reed and everyone at the club.

PS to Leslie. 'Loved your "Don't cry for us Pochettino"

Tintin hopes to become a hero to Southampton fans

By Michael Hann

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:08pm BST

0 Comments

http://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140616&t=2&i=909005963&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=LYNXMPEA5F0TR

Barcelona's former player Ronald Koeman waves to supporters during the presentation of the team and commemoration of the 20th anniversary of their first European Cup, at Nou Camp stadium in Barcelona August 20, 2012. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - With a reputation for playing attacking football and a penchant for developing youngsters, Southampton's appointment of Dutchman Ronald Koeman as manager on Monday will help calm the uneasy tides on England's south coast.

After finishing the Premier League campaign with a club record 56 points, Southampton have endured a turbulent close season since the departure of manager Mauricio Pochettino to Tottenham Hotspur.

England striker Rickie Lambert quickly followed the Argentine out of the door to join boyhood club Liverpool while media speculation surrounding the futures of England World Cup duo Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw continues to bubble away.

Southampton say they do not need to sell their best players but if their hands become tied, then the appointment of Koeman will go some way to steadying the ship at St Mary's.

The 51-year-old, who goes by the nickname of Tintin because of his likeness to the fictional character, has plenty of managerial experience and won the domestic double in his first season at Ajax Amsterdam in 2001-02.

He has also spent time in charge of Feyenoord, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven and Valencia.

However, it is former Netherlands defender Koeman's attacking style of play coupled with his ability to nurture young players that is likely to strike a chord at Southampton.

The Saints are always willing to give the less experienced players a chance, with the likes of Real Madrid's world-record signing Gareth Bale and Arsenal pair Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain having come through their ranks.

"In appointing Ronald we have concluded our search for a manager who shares our values and vision for the future of Southampton," executive director Les Reed said on their website.

"From the moment we met Ronald it was clear he had the vision and ambition to take our club forward, that he shared our football philosophy and could see the opportunity to move our club to the next level."

IBRAHIMOVIC PRAISE

Blond maestro Koeman once played an instrumental role in the development of enigmatic Sweden and Paris St Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"He is terrific," Ibrahimovic said after the Dutchman was appointed at Ajax in 2001. "Talk about respect, he has only been here for two days and you can see he gets on really well with the lads."

Koeman also took a youthful Rafael van der Vaart under his wing in the Dutch capital, installing him as captain. But their relationship turned sour when the midfielder refused to play on the left wing against Bayern Munich.

Over the last three seasons at Feyenoord, Koeman twice helped his talented youngsters to qualify for the Champions League before leaving last month.

Jordy Clasie, Bruno Martins Indi, Stefan de Vrij, Terece Kongolo, Tonny Vilhena and Jean Paul Boetius all received call-ups by Netherlands and Koeman is hoping to make a similar impact at his new club.

"From my very first meeting with Les Reed I could see clearly this was the right club for me," he said. "We share the same philosophy of football and the same belief in how to develop the club.

"The opportunity to continue the development of this famous football club was simply too good to turn down."

Koeman's appointment has certainly won the approval of Southampton great Matthew Le Tissier.

"Seems like an excellent one to me," the former England striker said on his Twitter account. "Big name to attract players."

Yep, sorry, that's what I meant...."the youngsters" (regardless of which age group they're in). Just wondering if the Koeman brothers will have a more direct role in coaching/managing the younger players

I can't even begin to think how that would possibly work without diluting the impact on the first team.

Will be a decent appointment for us but there are a few concerns I have. Mainly his record outside Holland is a bit iffy. Secondly at Feyenoord his transfer activity was mostly to bring in frees. 14 of his 18 transfers were on frees. That isn't to say we should expect that here it is simply saying he is used to building teams without spending much. That could be a good thing of course but in the PL you will not get far with a team of frees imo.

I think he will do a good job here if he is given the funds and freedom to do as he sees fit. Build his own team. Maybe go back for Pelle and Kongolo as they would be good additions to the team.

Thank fook is was not Bruce though!

He was a world class player in his day and his name is known all around the world - he will have respect from the start!

If he turns out to be as good as manager as he was a player, then we will be in for a fine old time!

Welcome "Big Ron" !!

How great it is to have another Big Ron to cheer!

I am well pleased. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I have my season ticket on it's way, so let the season begin!