St. Mary Wifi

orenp

Hi Folks,

My name is Oren, and I am conducting a research study for a postgraduate sport management program.

The focus of my project is to look into the introduction of new WIFI technology into Premier League stadiums- namely on-phone services (ticketless entry, ordering merchandise and concessions, voting for MoM etc...), customized replays, etc.

We are looking to find out how would Southampton supporters feel about smartphone usage and WIFI services at St. Mary's Stadium.

This technology already exists in MLS with Sporting Kansas City and are slowly being introduced into Premier League stadiums.

The survey will only a few minutes to complete and we'd love it if you could share it among friends.

The results of which will be distributed to the club and be presented to senior officials in the football industry in July.

The more quality answers we have, the better we'll be able to explain our findings to the clubs.

The best part of the survey, once you've completed the survey, you'll get a chance to win a jersey of your choice (Saints of course).

We hope to get as many of your insights as possible.

Here's the link to the survey and to our twitter handle:

http://www.unipark.de/uc/2ndScreenEPL

@fifamastadium

Many thanks,

Oren

I can get wi-fi that the press use where I am at SMS except I don't have the password!! Apart from that, I don't get any data signal what so ever, and given how much one pays, the least the club could do is provide wi-fi.

Done your survey.

I can get wi-fi that the press use where I am at SMS except I don't have the password!! Apart from that, I don't get any data signal what so ever, and given how much one pays, the least the club could do is provide wi-fi.

Done your survey.

I just want it to check other scores.

I'm in the same boat tbh.

There's almost no service in St Mary's as it is on a match day. So, not sure how you'd get it to work with 32000 logging on.

But, in principle would be great to use my iPhone to get in and out and make life easier. Bandwidth permitting.

There are technologies available for bursty environments like sports stadium where scalability is needed. Cisco use their connect the crowd at man city. Liverpool spend a fortune of xirrus and it didn't work properly. Ruckus do a few stadiums in the states and are getting a foothold in the UK. The technology is there now, it wasn't 2 years ago. Clubs get ROI by advertising, downloadable programmes rather than paper copies, in game betting etc.

Working as a 'printer cartridge telesalesist' I am involved in this regularly.

Edited by Turkish

I can get it now. Its free WiFi when you go into the Dell bar. they change the password for each game. Only problem is that it drops out if you don't use it for a few minutes and have to log in again. Can also get it when I'm in my seat in the Kingsland.

There are many potential services with wifi technology at the whole stadium.

We are looking to find out what do you find useful and what not in order to provide a better understanding to clubs investing money in technology.

All answers are good, as long as you leave them on the survey. Thanks for all the input!

You'll be able to post on the match thread whilst at the match, yes ?

No, but I would love to get the usual insight into the game on the points I may have missed, from those warriors watching on a stream someplace. During injury breaks and half time of course

As mentioned above, wifi in Dell bar but not great. Most 3G is useless on match days, EE 4G had some success, but no doubt as more users get 4G the connections will get worse. O2 for instance bring extra masts to events such as Royal Ascot.

There was a lot of publicity about the wifi at Man City when it was installed but I have not heard much about how usable it is.

Most people expect connectivity these days.

As mentioned above, wifi in Dell bar but not great. Most 3G is useless on match days, EE 4G had some success, but no doubt as more users get 4G the connections will get worse. O2 for instance bring extra masts to events such as Royal Ascot.

There was a lot of publicity about the wifi at Man City when it was installed but I have not heard much about how usable it is.

Most people expect connectivity these days.

http://m.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2266642/manchester-city-signs-cisco-and-o2-for-stadium-wifi-rollout

Big fanfare from Cisco when this was announced.

Liverpool spent nearly £250k on theirs and it didn't work properly. :lol:

Got it at the KC stadium and it's free.

Was excellent for sharing stuff with my FB friends who weren't there. Useless 3G at the moment and 4G is only better because very few people are currently using it in the area.

There are technologies available for bursty environments like sports stadium where scalability is needed. Cisco use their connect the crowd at man city. Liverpool spend a fortune of xirrus and it didn't work properly. Ruckus do a few stadiums in the states and are getting a foothold in the UK. The technology is there now, it wasn't 2 years ago. Clubs get ROI by advertising, downloadable programmes rather than paper copies, in game betting etc.

Working as a 'printer cartridge telesalesist' I am involved in this regularly.

The technology has been available for many years. 5 years ago I able to sit in a US baseball stadium with 30,000 fans and log on to the stadium wi-fi during the game to check-in for my return flight.

I can get it now. Its free WiFi when you go into the Dell bar. they change the password for each game. Only problem is that it drops out if you don't use it for a few minutes and have to log in again. Can also get it when I'm in my seat in the Kingsland.

And me!

The technology has been available for many years. 5 years ago I able to sit in a US baseball stadium with 30,000 fans and log on to the stadium wi-fi during the game to check-in for my return flight.

Okay, I'll rephrase my point. The technology, ie WIFI, was available, what wasn't there and was too expensive for it to show an ROI for clubs in England was people not using it all week, then 30-50,000 all wanting to be connected for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. Even now only a few vendors have got it right. As i said above Liverpool spent a fortune of xirrus wifi kit and it didn't work properly. Cisco and Ruckus have got it about right now but the rest are still lagging behind. So yes you probably could have connected to a baseball stadiums WIFI 5 years ago, but if 10000 others had tried to do it during a break in play it would have fallen on it's arse. That's what I'm referring too. A scalable solution for bursty environments so clubs aren't paying top whack for access points, licences etc that are only being used for for three hours once a fortnight.

Edited by Turkish

It seems some of you are there to sit comfortably and f*ck about on your phones rather than actually support the team. No wonder the atmosphere at St Mary's is crap.

It's symptomatic of a wider societal plague; same sort of mentality as the people that would rather live a match or a gig through a viewfinder. Filming a set piece on an iPad, what the hell? Each to their own I guess but I'd rather form memories by actually experiencing an event.

Admittedly day-to-day I'm pretty keen on Twitter, but on matchday my phone's used for a quick comment on the way back to the car, not for anything other than watching the bloody game.

TL;DR - I'm sure there's demand for Wi-Fi, but not need.

Edited by ant

It seems some of you are there to sit comfortably and f*ck about on your phones rather than actually support the team. No wonder the atmosphere at St Mary's is crap.

You're so stuck in the 80s. The atmosphere at football isn't crap, it's simply evolved from childish,lager swilling thugs leaping about to a more measured approach where we can show our delight of despair with a quick tweet or Facebook update. The atmosphere at matches theses days is not measured by how many decibels but by how many internet connections. Football has changed it's a shame some of our thuggish fans can't.

Having actually filled the survey in now, I can only hope most of their suggestions don't come to pass. Visions of 32,000 people sat in silence, staring at their smartdevice for 90% of the match, watching replays and highlights rather than the live action and discussing the match with strangers online rather than the people next to them.

Impossible to check scores or put a bet on in st marys so yes.

Maybe it will impact the on-site betting too much so they don't want to lose that source of revenue.

what's the betting every time you go to order a pint/watch a highlight you have to watch 2 or 3 adverts first. no thanks.

I don't think it is mandatory to watch a highlight.

Hi Folks,

My name is Oren, and I am conducting a research study for a postgraduate sport management program.

The focus of my project is to look into the introduction of new WIFI technology into Premier League stadiums

The plural is stadia. I know people are not fussy about that these days, but it would look better on your report if you used it? ;)

I don't accept their authority since they chose to change the definition of "Literally" to accommodate the idiots who don't know what it means.

Dictionaries are Literally dog poo. And that is an accurate usage of the word, because I feel it strongly.

I started filling in the survey, but then got scared that it was trying to give me a virus and turn me into an Iphone.

So I panicked and filled in every box with 'Oren the Saints go marching in'.

Hope that helps.

what a waste of an ITKer post... ;)

P.s. don't reply to this one....!