Southampton Football Club to announce permanent tribute to Markus Liebherr

JxgrSaint

Couldn't see it posted already....What do we think?

Good idea IMO, if it wern't for him we'd have gone under. He may have only been with us a year but he's a Saints legend IMO

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11331442.Campaign_launched_to_rename_St_Mary_s_stand_as_tribute_to_Markus_Liebherr/?ref=fbpg

Rubbish idea. Should be scrapped.

No thanks. I don't support this idea at all. If this was to be done we would have to name another stand the Nicola Cortese stand, and I don't think that would get the same support.

Why would we also have to do that? NC took no personal risk, ML did and should be applauded for it.

ML took no risk - 14m to a billionaire is pocket change.

We were his hobby - not a risky investment.

Completely disagree, very hard to find someone in the world to pay that much for a struggling League 1 football club all be it with higher standard facilities. Also he technically wasn't a 'billionaire'. His assets (business's) were worth 4 billion but that doesn't mean he has that lying around in his bank account. Anyone who doesn't want a stand named after him really hasn't thought of the severity of someone else buying us could of entailed or no one at all, look at Coventry :mcinnes:

Why does Markus deserve a stand any more than ted Bates does?

He saved our club, Bates has a statue. Be happy with a statue or stand named after Markus, anything to show respect for what he did. If it wasn't for him 3 out of 4 stands could have been basically empty week in week out yet we are getting 27,000+ every week instead

He saved our club, Bates has a statue. Be happy with a statue or stand named after Markus, anything to show respect for what he did. If it wasn't for him 3 out of 4 stands could have been basically empty week in week out yet we are getting 27,000+ every week instead

So did ted on more than one occasion. Markus has a trophy and a suite named after him, why the feck do we need a stand as well? What would it achieve? Heck why stop there? Let's just rebrand ourselves as the Markus Liebherr saints and be done with it. I'm sure the family are perfectly happy the way things are.

ML took no risk - 14m to a billionaire is pocket change.

We were his hobby - not a risky investment.

This, I am very grateful he came along when he did but he was getting a bargain and I am sure that was his first priority. I am also pretty sure he would be embarrassed by this suggestion. Where does it stop? how about Leon Crouch who saved us from SISU, gave considerable funds to keep us afloat and sorted the Ted Bates statue out to save us from being a laughing stock.

Markus did'nt just save us, he rebuilt us and from where we were there is no way on earth we would be where we are today without his intervention.

The magnitude of what he did for us might be lost on some, but not the majority I would suggest - I still cannot beleive our good fortune when he chose us, bargain or not.

In saying all of that though, Markus was a man of great humility and would probably have baulked at the idea of having a stand named after him, and I sense Katarina is cut from the same cloth and perhaps would prefer this not to happen.

Does he have a gravestone ? perhaps he left instructions in his will no memorial ? we'll never know and if family havn't done it yet which no one wouldve objected to I'd say leave as it is,

the living memorial is that we sing his name every game

Edited by ringwood

Markus did'nt just save us, he rebuilt us and from where we were there is no way on earth we would be where we are today without his intervention.

The magnitude of what he did for us might be lost on some, but not the majority I would suggest - I still cannot beleive our good fortune when he chose us, bargain or not.

In saying all of that though, Markus was a man of great humility and would probably have baulked at the idea of having a stand named after him, and I sense Katarina is cut from the same cloth and perhaps would prefer this not to happen.

without being rude

but how the hell do you know this. After all, the devil himself (cortese) was his most trusted right hand man when it came to saints.

Rumours had it that he wanted pardew gone long before he was actually sacked. Remember that really weird post match interview from pardew? it was heavily rumoured at the time that markus wanted him sacked

either way, they were just rumours but how the hell would you know he was some great softy?

he saved us and forever a legend and will be remembered forever but lets not make him out to be something we have no idea of either way

If the family didn't want to be reminded of him via a flag is a stand any different?

That story was just some spin to cover the truth. The reason the flag wasn't allowed to be used was related to Cortese and his pettiness. (ps I have nothing against Cortese, in fact I liked him & wish he was still at the club. He had his faults, but he had a lot more strengths).

That story was just some spin to cover the truth. The reason the flag wasn't allowed to be used was related to Cortese and his pettiness. (ps I have nothing against Cortese, in fact I liked him & wish he was still at the club. He had his faults, but he had a lot more strengths).

you were doing well until your ps

Always worth making the distinction - he didn't save us but his money did turn us into a Premier League club quicker than would otherwise have happened. He saved us from many years of Championship level drudgery, like Derby or Forest.

Absolutely no way should we change the names of the stands, they're good now.

Always worth making the distinction - he didn't save us but his money did turn us into a Premier League club quicker than would otherwise have happened. He saved us from many years of Championship level drudgery, like Derby or Forest.

Absolutely no way should we change the names of the stands, they're good now.

So L1 would have been a walk in the park whatever?

So L1 would have been a walk in the park whatever?

Yeah, good point. Getting promoted from League one is the preserve of the uber rich mega clubs like Yeovil, Brentford and Rotherham. We'd probably still be there now.

I'm sure this is a well intentioned idea to recognise the key role Markus has in Saints recent history, but I think it is poorly conceived.

A. Markus' daughter owns the ground and if she wanted to name a stand or even the whole ground after her father should could have done it already.

B. if the concern is that she may be too modest to do it, then surely a survey of fans would be sufficient to persuade her of the support she would receive

C. A petition is usually used to try and force someone to do something/change something that don't want to do, through force of public opinion. It is inappropriate in this case.

Having said all that if KL 'chose' to change a stand name, I would support it.

without being rude

but how the hell do you know this. After all, the devil himself (cortese) was his most trusted right hand man when it came to saints.

Rumours had it that he wanted pardew gone long before he was actually sacked. Remember that really weird post match interview from pardew? it was heavily rumoured at the time that markus wanted him sacked

either way, they were just rumours but how the hell would you know he was some great softy?

he saved us and forever a legend and will be remembered forever but lets not make him out to be something we have no idea of either way

Markus was certainly no softy - You don't get to being the successful businessman he was being soft as ****e, but there is a difference to being soft and having some humility about him - And I think he was that type of man.

There is no doubt in my mind that he was the instigator of Pardew's dismissal, but that was not a bad call as it turned out either - Perhaps like many in the football world he just did'nt like the head butting, grey haired creep, and wanted somebody more to his liking - Step forward Nigel, another man of good manners and humility.

As for Cortese, well you obviously think he was the devil incarnate but I beg to differ - Ruthless yes, but capable and driven, yes, yes, yes!!!

I find this idea somewhat misguided although I appreciate it's done with every good intention.

He was an investor who bought us when we were cheap with a view to earning a good return. He may or may not have been loyal to the club, undoubtedly he built up an affinity with us but for him to be lorded as some kind of Good Samaritan is just rubbish. I suspect, although I may be wrong that these ideas carry more weight with younger saints fans.

Be grateful sure, but this kind of tribute should be reserved for those who have made huge sacrifices for the club and for club heroes. It is far too easy to forget those who pumped money into saints when we really were in the ****, without any expectation of personal gain.

I don't think he should have a statue. I don't think we should name a stand after him. But I do like the idea of replacing the seats on the Chapel or Northam so that he is there, behind us and supporting us.... Yet reminding KL that tributes, made of seats can be replaced.

But....One day I'd like to see them both graduate to a statue, father and daughter together, the family that saved and invested in Southampton to make us into a top four team.... The Barcelona of the English football. Achieve that and you get a statue as owners.