Matty Targett...

Unbelievable Jeff

Clyne is a RB who can cover at LB in emergencies and is never as good playing at LB because his left foot is not great.

HTH.

The first time I saw him play left back was against Villa at home in our first season back in the premiership, he did very well and scored from a lovely pass from Gaston.

To have a different opinion is clearly somehow absurd and a rewrite of history ...Okay then.

Shaw was not perfect. He had a good season (fantastic when you consider his age) but he, like all players has room to grow as a player. No question he has all the makings of a top class full back.

Targett looks to be a different player with different strengths and weaknesses. He has not made his breakthrough as early and may not reach the same heights as Shaw but, then again, he might even be better. I hope he sees plenty of game time this year and, when he does make mistakes, we back him.

If someone said to you that Danny Fox was a better left back than Luke Shaw would you think it is a ridiculous view?

The first time I saw him play left back was against Villa at home in our first season back in the premiership, he did very well and scored from a lovely pass from Gaston.

Which is fine covering for a short term solution for injuries, suspensions etc but not a long term answer.

Name the full backs who are equally as comfortable on both sides.

Heres one for you, Lahm. Over to you, there must be plenty more.

Insanity.

Luke Shaw is the complete fullback. How on earth would you know that Targett is better defensively when Shaw has performed at top level in the Prem for two seasons, got into the team of the year and the England squad for a world cup, before Targett has made his full league debut?

People seem keen to play down Shaws ability now he's left - probably to try and soften the blow - but the reality is he will most likely go on to be Englands greatest ever left back.

Complete full back?

60 games - 0 goals, 0 assists.

Very good full back, but complete, no.

There were moments in games I watched that he had not tracked back quick enough when the opposition counter attacked down the right and on few occassions he seemed to be out if position on some if the sky/ BT live matches .

He's not the finished article but still present he is prone to defensive lapses or

I mentioned this briefly at the time in a post about a particular game

They are only my observations and thoughts . They are not ridiculous as some say .

He is a very good defender and with experience he should become a very good all round player if he continues to progress

My comments have not come out because he has left but because of some observations on his positional play at times.

Saint Clarke the same sort of comments were said about Wayne bridge . But he never bacame England's greatest full back

It's not about re writing history but just my own thought as a coach .

Each coach has different mind sets .

And yes I would want him in any side I coached . I wonder if he plays hockey as well :lol:

I think Targett will step up, different type of full back to shaw, not as rapid but more intellegent. More like Wayne Bridge than .well I can't think of a comparison to Shaw he's just a fre*k and for me will be the best LB in the world in 3 years

Because now he has left, for some reason, some like Viking are re writing history

It's the same with Lallana

The suggestion that LS still has some weaknesses in his game is re-writing history? VW is correct - he was caught out of position on a number of occasions. He is outstanding but not yet complete. He is only 19 FFS.

The suggestion that LS still has some weaknesses in his game is re-writing history? VW is correct - he was caught out of position on a number of occasions. He is outstanding but not yet complete. He is only 19 FFS.

Yes, promising but not fully operational at this stage of his development. Many of us have been consistent in saying this.

like ashley cole needs to?

What did you think, for example during the last game of the season, about the number of times that he was caught far up the left wing with no where to go and trying to cross (and failing) with the outside of his left foot rather than his right foot? I mention the last game of the season as it seemed to happen more noticeably in that game than others.

What did you think, for example during the last game of the season, about the number of times that he was caught far up the left wing with no where to go and trying to cross (and failing) with the outside of his left foot rather than his right foot? I mention the last game of the season as it seemed to happen more noticeably in that game than others.

I think every single player on earth can improve or add something

Shaw was immense last season and was easily one of the best 3 left backs in the country, in his only 2nd season as a first team Pro at 18 years old in a league that is pretty relentless

I think every single player on earth can improve or add something

Shaw was immense last season and was easily one of the best 3 left backs in the country, in his only 2nd season as a first team Pro at 18 years old in a league that is pretty relentless

And voted as the best left back in the league by his fellow professionals.

He's already very good and he is going to be one of the best in the world for the next decade and more. We may find an adequate replacement, but he won't be as good as Shaw, I'm 99% sure of that.

Seeing as none of us are coaches at the club & we don't get to see him preform on a daily basis, we don't know how good he is or indeed how ready he is then I think we should leave it up to these people to decide when he is ready.

After all it's not like the club doesn't know a good'un when they see one! Bridge, Bale, Shaw

As his confidence grows and playing under a more attacking manager he will start taking on his man more on the outside, getting to the byline and being able to put dangerous balls in with his left as he should. Like you said too many times he got into good positions and then stopped and went backwards, mainly because it seemed to me he was under instructions from MP not to get too far forward in case we lost possession and he was suddenly caught out of position. He will iron out his faults over the next few years and go on to be a world class player, probably outgrowing Man Utd and ending up at one of the big 3 (Barcelona, Real, Bayern).

Targett's biggest problem will be inevitable comparisons to Luke, which isn't really fair or realistic. I hope he is given his chance though. It sends out a great message to replace a 30 million pound left back with another from the academy if the coaches think he's good enough. It's what separates this club from the others around us in the league. Really excited about Reed this year as well

Some utter silliness on here.

Yes, there may have been some areas Luke could improve on, that's probably applicable to 99% of players. He was immense last season. Can't recall a game where anyone had him beat over the course of a game. Christ i remember him out muscling Lukaku at SMS. Which lead to (as has been said) him being voted the best player in his position in the league by his fellow players. I trust their judgement over anyone on here.

I've not seen enough of Targett to make any comment on his readiness. The club will have a better idea, they seem to know when to kids are ready - their track record of late has been pretty impressive. If not, I'm sure they are in the process of recruiting a replacement. Chances are the replacement will be a downgrade on Shaw, but I can't see Saints getting in a player better than the best in the league last season - that is the equivalent of Liverpool getting in a striker better than Suarez, again unlikely and they can offer more money and CL football (if only for a season). That doesn't suddenly mean we are going to be in free fall, a player not as good as Shaw can still be a very good player.

Targett's biggest problem will be inevitable comparisons to Luke, which isn't really fair or realistic. I hope he is given his chance though. It sends out a great message to replace a 30 million pound left back with another from the academy if the coaches think he's good enough. It's what separates this club from the others around us in the league. Really excited about Reed this year as well

This /\

The precedents established over the past few years for academy players being introduced into the first team and proving themselves to be perfectly capable of not looking out of place, are there for everyone to see. Eyebrows were raised when we introduced Ward-Prowse into the cauldron of that opening match against Man City and he acquitted himself well. When Bale was first introduced into the first team, most people around me asked "who?". Both Shaw and Chambers elicited a similar response and of course we were privileged to witness Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain's blooding into the first team too comparatively recently.

The old adage that if a player is good enough, he is old enough certainly applies to our players more than those from most other teams, because we have had the balls to have the courage of our convictions. I have the utmost confidence in the judgement of our coaching staff to decide when the moment has arrived that an academy product is ready to step up to the first team. By that time, they will have already have spent a lot of time playing together with them, so it isn't as if it will a new experience, although of course playing against the players of rival Premiership teams might be.

Good couple of posts above. My gut says that Reed and Targett will be the closest to the first team this season, of those yet to really break through, with perhaps McQueen a bit behind them.

Shaw has gone, forget about him, lets celebrate the next Academy products

I remember a few years ago when there was a lot of criticsim for blooding our young talent too early and alerting other clubs to their potential. I think the arguement against that was that other clubs have good scouting systems too and would be aware of any emrging young talent anyway. For me, if they are good enough, bring them on. Shaw and Chambers were revelations last year - long may the conveyor belt continue!!!

I was at the Hasselt game last night and watched Matt Targett with interest. Unfortunately he wasn't challenged much so it was difficult to gauge what he can do. What I did see, though, is that he has a very assured touch. Every ball that came to him he killed dead and he has that imperceptible way of addressing the ball that indicates a proper footballer. Bridge had it, Bale had it, Luke Shaw had it. Positionally he looked absolutely fine. Did everything right but and didn't take any risks. He looks to be a full back that is more pre-disposed to the defensive side of being a full back. But then both Luke and Calum were hesitant to get forward when they first came in as well. He is a big unit; taller than Luke I think, and doesn't looks like he would be that easy to muscle off the ball.

My overall impression was that he is probably just about ready to be given a go. It will take him 10 games or so to get into it but I wouldn't have any problem if the club decide that he is our first choice left back this season.

Good couple of posts above. My gut says that Reed and Targett will be the closest to the first team this season, of those yet to really break through, with perhaps McQueen a bit behind them.

Shaw has gone, forget about him, lets celebrate the next Academy products

Reed certainly looked composed in the cameos we saw last season. Has anyone seen McQueen play? Club must rate him by giving him a 4 year deal but seems to have gone under the radar a bit compared to say JWP, Shaw, Reed, Gallagher and possibly even Turnbull and Jack Stephens. I have in my mind that he's an AMC/wide player. Didn't he have a fairly serious injury that held him back for a while?

Will be interesting to see Targett play against stronger opposition. Does anyone think Jake Sinclair might get a chance? Rowe and Isgrove keep on getting one year extensions so you'd have to think it's make or break for them. McCarthy is another young player like McQueen that seems to be under the radar and have emerged.

I was at the Hasselt game last night and watched Matt Targett with interest. Unfortunately he wasn't challenged much so it was difficult to gauge what he can do. What I did see, though, is that he has a very assured touch. Every ball that came to him he killed dead and he has that imperceptible way of addressing the ball that indicates a proper footballer. Bridge had it, Bale had it, Luke Shaw had it. Positionally he looked absolutely fine. Did everything right but and didn't take any risks. He looks to be a full back that is more pre-disposed to the defensive side of being a full back. But then both Luke and Calum were hesitant to get forward when they first came in as well. He is a big unit; taller than Luke I think, and doesn't looks like he would be that easy to muscle off the ball.

My overall impression was that he is probably just about ready to be given a go. It will take him 10 games or so to get into it but I wouldn't have any problem if the club decide that he is our first choice left back this season.

Interesting post, ta. Difficult decsion for the club - whether to go for a top LB and be safe, but potentially stifle Targett's development and waste money, or take the risk and hope he performs.

If luke shaw 'only' performs as well as he did last season for the rest of his career he will go down as one of the greats. 'Caught out of position on a number of occasions'? Utter rubbish. Simply didn't happen.

Come on now, calm down. He did well but he wasn't world class last season.

Interesting post, ta. Difficult decsion for the club - whether to go for a top LB and be safe, but potentially stifle Targett's development and waste money, or take the risk and hope he performs.

I would like to see us hedge our bets by signing another young left back, but someone who already has league football experience, so is less of a gamble than Targett. Signing an established international left back will undoubtedly hamper Targett's progress if indeed he is ready, so a good alternative would be to let two youngsters fight it out for the spot. The best man will then win, and if Targett isn't ready then at least we have another good left back to fall back on. I wonder of this was the thinking when we were thought to be after Kolo.

...a good alternative would be to let two youngsters fight it out for the spot. The best man will then win, and if Targett isn't ready then at least we have another good left back to fall back on. I wonder of this was the thinking when we were thought to be after Kolo.

That would be a good solution, espceially if the incomer could play more than one position.

Thank you Angelman . That was one of the games I was referring to . Re About him going missing comment I made earlier

I have said it before and will say it again Shaw was at fault for a lot of goals down his side because he doesn't get back quick enough at times after running off down the wing! He nearly got shown up by it in the Denmark game but for a good save by Hart ! He needs to improve on that , as for Targett if the coaches think he's ready he's ready after all they identified Shaw jwp chambers etc.......

Think what differentiated Bale and Shaw who could be pretty one footed at times were their power and acceleration, the ability to go past a man. For instance, Chambers is very cultured and assured in possession but doesn't have that change of pace. How about Targett?

I have said it before and will say it again Shaw was at fault for a lot of goals down his side because he doesn't get back quick enough at times after running off down the wing! He nearly got shown up by it in the Denmark game but for a good save by Hart ! He needs to improve on that , as for Targett if the coaches think he's ready he's ready after all they identified Shaw jwp chambers etc.......

You say "lots of goals", can you name a few from last season that match your criteria?

Shaw was given license by Pochettino to play like that, if any goals resulted from him being advanced it is more likely to be the fault of the midfielder who should be covering the space Shaw left behind.

Edited by Matthew Le God

You say "lots of goals", can you name a few from last season that match your criteria?

Shaw was given license by Pochettino to play like that, if any goals resulted from him being advanced it is more likely to be the fault of the midfielder who should be covering the space Shaw left behind.

Lovren exposed and caught out v Spurs out left, two goals, Johnson against Sunderland stand out.

Yeh because I take notes at every game , are you trying to tell me he wasn't? The Denmark game at Wembley is the prime example , Coleman vs Everton?

Edited by simo

Yeh because I take notes at every game , are you trying to tell me he wasn't? The Denmark game at Wembley is the prime example , Coleman vs Everton?

the two holding midfielders were/are supposed to drop in for an advancing full back in our system last year

the two holding midfielders were/are supposed to drop in for an advancing full back in our system last year

I still expect him to make an effort to get back , at least as quickly as he gets forward he is a defender after all! While I'm at it I had this argument many times last season if he is supposed to renowned for his attacking play why didn't he score or assist more ? 1 assist for an attacking fullback is poor imo!

Edited by simo

No-one can go up and down the left wing as a wing back and expect to recover.. its impossible, that's why you have midfield cover.

The only lapses defensively are when he switches off when the back line is playing offside and he lets the winger get inside him... that happened a couple of times but he will learn quickly.

No-one can go up and down the left wing as a wing back and expect to recover.. its impossible, that's why you have midfield cover.

The only lapses defensively are when he switches off when the back line is playing offside and he lets the winger get inside him... that happened a couple of times but he will learn quickly.

But he just walks back , run ffs boy! Aren't decent wing backs supposed to chip in with a few goals/assists

Simo

Just give up with the Luke shaw love in brigade .

There's a number of us on here that have noticed one or two frailties with Luke shaw in various matches .

Hopefully he can be coached out of those frailities . I hope so . If not he will nit reach his full potential and he does have the potential to be a first class defender . But he will never be a nobby styles

Poor old Matty Targett. Even his SaintsWeb thread is under pressure from Luke Shaw's legacy...

I think that is a good reason to get another starting level Left Back

Targett will be under quite of bit of pressure to the the left backs we have produced before him

not to mention fans saying he is better than shaw at a younger age group