Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

Has anyone stopped to think that perhaps his move to us might improve him as a player? If he does improve within the year I very much doubt he will play again for Chelsea in any case.

That's been my general expectation all along. There are so many examples of players thriving in one environment but failing in the next, and I don't see it as a coincidence that Southampton produces so many talented full backs. Bertrand has every opportunity to impress and improve.

Villa didn't have a good season last year, as was twitchily evident whenever I asked my Villa supporting mates how their season was going. Cole has ruled the roost at Chelsea until last year. It could turn out as successful a move as Cork coming here.

He's a Saints player for the next 12 months; let him kick a competitive ball for the club before writing him off.

Given that Chelsea signed him he can't be that bad. We have had an England international left back that united have just paid £27 million for. Whoever we get wont be as good. Give him a chance and see what the next 12 months bring. At least he is not coming to the end of his career

Look on the bright side, he can't be any worse than Danny Fox

Why is there an assumption that it's with an option to buy. That's not publicised anywhere apart from the likes of Simon Peach 'understanding'.

How hard have you been looking?

Southampton have announced the signing of Chelsea’s Ryan Bertrand on a season-long loan, with an option to buy the left-back outright next summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/30/southampton-ryan-bertrand-chelsea-season-loan

It is understood that Southampton have also included a clause in the loan deal allowing them to buy the former Gillingham trainee at the end of the season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9400969/transfer-news-southampton-sign-chelsea-defender-ryan-bertrand-on-loan

The 24 year-old has joined on a season-long loan but, according to the Press Association, there is an option to make the deal permanent for up to £10m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28576393

d2ceb16562ae0c783637d2bd8fdc9739_normal.jpegBBC Solent Sport @solentsport · 21h

Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand joins Southampton on a season-long loan #saintsfc #cfc. We understand deal could be permanent next summer

MLG - what's your response to this hyptheticals:

Bertrand completes successful loan, Southampton want to exercise buy-back clause, Chelsea accept, but Bertrand refuses to move permanently?

Does the player have much say in this circumstance?

Then the deal wouldn't happen, they can't hold a gun to his head (well... Abramovich might hire someone perhaps). In any case I'd imagine Bertrand would have been informed during negotiations such a clause was included and he's happy with it as things stand today.

Then the deal wouldn't happen, they can't hold a gun to his head (well... Abramovich might hire someone perhaps). In any case I'd imagine Bertrand would have been informed during negotiations such a clause was included and he's happy with it as things stand today.

To the rescue! Thanks for clearing that one up!

As much as you or I wish it, we are not going to get top calibre players. The Southampton way is to turn them into top calibre players then sell them.

Was that the case last season?

Well, yeah. You make it sound like we signed Zidane and Maldini last summer.

The signing of Waynyama or Lovren was no greater accomplishment than the signing of Tadic or Pelle this summer. All roundabout £10m, decent players from European clubs of reasonable but not giant standing.

The only signing that broke our usual mould was Osvaldo, who turned out to be f uck ing sh it.

MLG - what's your response to this hyptheticals:

Bertrand completes successful loan, Southampton want to exercise buy-back clause, Chelsea accept, but Bertrand refuses to move permanently?

Does the player have much say in this circumstance?

Depends how these are structured. Skacel completed his loan with Hearts, wanted to sign for us, but Hearts activated their right to buy and Skacel had as part of the loan already agreed terms.

The signing of Waynyama or Lovren was no greater accomplishment than the signing of Tadic or Pelle this summer. All roundabout £10m, decent players from European clubs of reasonable but not giant standing.

The only signing that broke our usual mould was Osvaldo, who turned out to be f uck ing sh it.

Very true and relevant.

Should put a few of our more grandiose posters opinions into some perspective perhaps!

Agree 100%.

The shambles that was/is Osvaldo, particularly the fact that we're resigned to losing a bundle on the idiot, highlights two things:

1. Expensive and/or big name signings do not guarantee success, and

2. There's much benefit in a loan as you can try before you buy.

CL finalist 2 years ago. Prepared to give him a chance. A one year loan with option to buy is an affair not a marriage.

good analogy.

I never understand why some people get so upset at the thought of having a loan player - for a whole season.

Pretty sure we may see some action from Matt Targett, but Bertrand has over 200 League games already, but obviously has a tough task to take a regular place from some of Chelsea's international talent.

Bit like Jack Cork, a good playing record, but to say he's not upto " the Chelsea standard " is no disgrace. As for the "loan deal ".....it's a win-win situation.

If Targett doen't make it this season. RB will be a good back-up. If he's a success .....we can buy him in a year for £10 million.....to replace a player who we sold for £27 million.

If he's not what we need .....we can send him back to Chelsea........so where's the problem?

Thought he was ok. I wouldn't call him quick, in fact I thought he seemed a bit sluggish but maybe a few Prem starts will liven him up. Nowhere near the ability of Clyne who was creative getting forward and linked up well with Tadic/Davis.

With a bit more game time I think the Bertrand Isgrove partnership could develop into something good

Hoping Isgrove doesn't start too many games, to be honest. We noticed at the game yesterday that although he often looks like he's doing something, he very rarely actually makes anything happen. Ramirez came on for him and within minutes had won a free-kick and had a shot, more than Isgrove did all game.

If Ramirez and Bertrand can strike up the same sort of connection that Tadic and Clyne have on the other side then our flanks will be looking very strong. Thought Bertrand looked great yesterday, did everything you can ask a LB to do. I'm really positive about our additions, this year!

Hoping Isgrove doesn't start too many games, to be honest. We noticed at the game yesterday that although he often looks like he's doing something, he very rarely actually makes anything happen. Ramirez came on for him and within minutes had won a free-kick and had a shot, more than Isgrove did all game.

If Ramirez and Bertrand can strike up the same sort of connection that Tadic and Clyne have on the other side then our flanks will be looking very strong. Thought Bertrand looked great yesterday, did everything you can ask a LB to do. I'm really positive about our additions, this year!

Agree with that. Although I'm still on the fence about Pelle.

I'd be inclined to have Gaston as a starter maybe bringing on Isgrove as a sub last 15 miniutes think he could do some damage against a tired defence. What I did like about Isgrove is he gets back to help defend well needs more going forward though.

Completely agree with this. Despite having pace, Isgrove seemed to get muscled off the ball too easily too many times. Maybe it's a case of him not being physically ready for this level yet, but I would be concerned if we started with him most games.

It's probably down to my own personal opinion, but I'm still not convinced by Ramirez on the wing (though with that said, he looked miles better yesterday evening). Isn't Gaston's natural position more central? It might be worth the club investing in someone like Redmond who is dedicated to that position.

Did Isgrove play much at Peterborough last season?

He made 7 appearances, scoring one goal. Came off the bench for them in the JPT Final and apparently looked good.

I'd be inclined to have Gaston as a starter maybe bringing on Isgrove as a sub last 15 miniutes think he could do some damage against a tired defence. What I did like about Isgrove is he gets back to help defend well needs more going forward though.

Agree with that, think Isgrove could make a good impact sub - he showed a few nice turns of pace in the last 10 or so minutes against Brighton, but I'd be a little worried if he's on the pitch from the start on sunday!

Completely agree with this. Despite having pace, Isgrove seemed to get muscled off the ball too easily too many times. Maybe it's a case of him not being physically ready for this level yet, but I would be concerned if we started with him most games.

It's probably down to my own personal opinion, but I'm still not convinced by Ramirez on the wing (though with that said, he looked miles better yesterday evening). Isn't Gaston's natural position more central? It might be worth the club investing in someone like Redmond who is dedicated to that position.

I think you're RE him being more of a central attacking midfielder, although he seems to be pretty comfortable drifting anywhere across. While I think it would be good to have someone like Redmond, I don't think he's got that same ability to pop up anywhere across the attacking midfield, which gives the players like Tadic and Ramirez more of an edge (to me, Koeman might want an out-and-out winger) - Adam Blackmore said something about Koeman still looking for a Lallana replacement. Could be Belhanda?

Given that Chelsea signed him he can't be that bad. We have had an England international left back that united have just paid £27 million for. Whoever we get wont be as good. Give him a chance and see what the next 12 months bring. At least he is not coming to the end of his career

Look on the bright side, he can't be any worse than Danny Fox

I'm not so sure about that...

I think you're RE him being more of a central attacking midfielder, although he seems to be pretty comfortable drifting anywhere across. While I think it would be good to have someone like Redmond, I don't think he's got that same ability to pop up anywhere across the attacking midfield, which gives the players like Tadic and Ramirez more of an edge (to me, Koeman might want an out-and-out winger) - Adam Blackmore said something about Koeman still looking for a Lallana replacement. Could be Belhanda?

Belhanda would be an immense signing. It seems likely that he'd want out of Ukraine too.

Good point Becks

He made 7 appearances, scoring one goal. Came off the bench for them in the JPT Final and apparently looked good.

Agree with that, think Isgrove could make a good impact sub - he showed a few nice turns of pace in the last 10 or so minutes against Brighton, but I'd be a little worried if he's on the pitch from the start on sunday!

tomorrow could be the decido factur, great post Becks

Luke who? Was my MOTM today. Always looked a threat bombing down the left. I must admit I wasn't sure about him after he did little for Villa last season but he's settled so quickly. If he can be consistent, £10 million or whatever the fee is next summer would be well spent.

Luke who? Was my MOTM today. Always looked a threat bombing down the left. I must admit I wasn't sure about him after he did little for Villa last season but he's settled so quickly. If he can be consistent, £10 million or whatever the fee is next summer would be well spent.

Agree, he was my MOTM as well.

Agree, he was my MOTM as well.