Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

If this was a Cortese signing plenty on here would be in breathless palpitations about how we have successfully fought off a target Liverpool were chasing and look he has Champions League experience and everything...

A very solid signing in a spot where we need strengthening. Shame it is a loan, but good work Saints anyway.

The Times journo got it spot on IMO...."unspectacular but astute signing".

Happy with this one. Means we can allocate more of our purchase budget to players a bit higher up the 'spectacular' scale in other arguably more important positions.

Welcome Ryan

Dead right, he has a blinder and signs for a top 6 side next summer - Saints! Welcome Ryan, I'm looking forward to seeing you play and hope this is the beginning of an exciting fresh start for you.

I towered the days when we worries about top 4 taking our players

Now, Everton :-(

Nope. On the face of it I think it's a poor signing. Certainly underwhelming and not the standard I was expecting. Having said that we don't actually know how he will do here and of course I hope he does well. No contradiction.

He's played in the Champions League, for a team where Ashley Cole was on the bench last season, and Mourinho thinks he's too good to sell.

What kind of "standard" were you expecting at Saints?? (who finished 8th and were considered to have played a blinder in the process).

The level of Championship Manager fantasising and kneejerk slagging on this thread is beyond belief.

I haven't seen a lot of him but he had a good reputation, at least he is deemed quality. Are loans going to give it all if things get tough, as they can run back to their mother club? I suppose he will help bring a youngster through in his position that we can sell in a couple of years

I think we're going to have a big problem selling the club to potential players. So I think we need to develop a Dirty Dozen (or is it Wild Geese) mentality and build a team spirit with a group of youngsters, misfits and mercenaries. Actutally, I think this could work out well!

If this was a Cortese signing plenty on here would be in breathless palpitations about how we have successfully fought off a target Liverpool were chasing and look he has Champions League experience and everything...

A very solid signing in a spot where we need strengthening. Shame it is a loan, but good work Saints anyway.

Why bring Cortese into everything, it's irrelevant.

Spoke with a Villa season-ticket friend last night who said he's a good signing. Quick but does day dream and switch off occasionally.

Spoke with a Villa season-ticket friend last night who said he's a good signing. Quick but does day dream and switch off occasionally.

You think if I stopped talking about him his name would never come up on here again?

Just putting the po-faced spoilt brat "I'm so underwhelmed" routine in a bit of context.

Makes me feel a bit better as my limited experience of seeing him play left a less favourable impression. If he can be a solid citizen at left back and we spend money improving central defensive options markedly maybe it'll work out.

Bertrand is going to be this years Paul telfer. He will do a solid job, but because half our fans are morons, they will get on his back from the off.

Some people need to realise that just cos we got £80m in the bank doesn't mean we can spend £25m on a player. The player has to want to come as well, and at that price point chances are they want European football.

wow, just wow at some of the reactions on here. Talk about ridiculous!

This is not a signing to make you jump for joy (e.g. marquee signing) but seems solid enough. Like some of the rational posters have said, the club obviously rate Targett VERY highly but recognize he is not quite ready yet. So we have a solid LB (not many of those around) and Targett can continue to progress. If Bertrand is successful means we have had a good season and we have the option of signing him. So plenty of incentive for him to do well and for us to benefit.

Lets face it, foreign signings can be very hit and miss - Osvaldo anyone? And a name doe not guarantee success.

Thats the way I see it too - Decent loan signing and lets not get hung up by way of it "only being a loan" - If it works we buy, if it does'nt work we have lost nothing...

It's a sound acquisition at the right time for us in the right position.

Welcome Ryan.

Bertrand is going to be this years Paul telfer. He will do a solid job, but because half our fans are morons, they will get on his back from the off.

Some people need to realise that just cos we got £80m in the bank doesn't mean we can spend £25m on a player. The player has to want to come as well, and at that price point chances are they want European football.

i think you have misread that. The majority will welcome him and if he gives us some good performances he will be accepted. Just frustrating he is not a signing rather than loan p

i think you have misread that. The majority will welcome him and if he gives us some good performances he will be accepted. Just frustrating he is not a signing rather than loan p

Why is it frustrating? Makes good sense to try before you buy if at all possible. It also gives you time to get your main target (if there is one).

He's played in the Champions League, for a team where Ashley Cole was on the bench last season, and Mourinho thinks he's too good to sell.

What kind of "standard" were you expecting at Saints?? (who finished 8th and were considered to have played a blinder in the process).

The level of Championship Manager fantasising and kneejerk slagging on this thread is beyond belief.

Reports (Guardian, DT) are that there is a buy out clause (£10m - which seems expensive).

I think it's good signing especially with Mat coming through and getting a few PL games and cup games to gain experience. If he does well then make permanent at the end of the season.

The position that does need a good quality signing is CB, so happy to save the money for that position now the club are a sustainability no debt route.

Exactly this.

Everyone has been harping on about how we are going to be left playing the kids ala the last Dutch 'revolution'. We sign a solid player the manager actually wants in addition to the promising youngster, and everyone ****s the bed.

Oh, and they also all told us left back wasn't that important a position when they were trying to take the sting out of Shaw leaving...

Bunch of miserable entitled ****s on here.

Quite so. The usual miserable half-wits making their minds up on the basis of not having seen the player kick a ball for us yet, with no idea of what the manager's plans for him are, and no knowledge at all of who else will be brought in to play alongside him. I especially mean Hypo and Saint Richmond whose posts are like a stuck record. Somebody has to be particularly lacking any balance in their rational thinking to be so sure of the outcome of something that hasn't even started yet.

I towered the days when we worries about top 4 taking our players

Now, Everton :-(

You towered the days? Translation please. When Hectors house said that if he was really good he would be snapped up by a top 6 team, he did actually say that we could be that top 6 team. Why would Bertrand want to go to Everton to warm the bench whilst Baines plays?

Oh God something else awful is going to haopen.

Saints have made an Astute signing. Heck even a Sensible solution to the fact that Targett COULD be better than Shaw.

Don't like this one bit. How dare they try and show wisdom.

What is particularly annoying is the loan business.

With all that cash in the bank, we really should have been queuing up to get our metaphorical pants pulled down. I'm gutted the club isn't down at least 7m.

No ambition.

decent signing,

if it was some european Champions League winner we had signed, then a lot on here would have been delighted with that, despite the circumstances of it

According to the trueblue site he is a CL winner

"Bertrand recently deleted all Chelsea related pictures from his Instagram page. Despite having made just 56 appearances in all competitions for Chelsea, the left back has three trophies – FA Cup, Champions League, and Europa League – to his name." - See more at: http://www.chelseatrueblue.com/2014/07/bertrand-chelsea-career-over-southampton-loan.html#sthash.YE9Uw50D.dpuf

Great deal IMO.

If it all works out this season and we take up the option to buy, that's a quality replacement for Luke for a third of the price. And if it doesn't then we won't have to pay anything.

I think he'll do alright this season. Needs to establish himself somewhere, don't see why he can't with us.

Every day I laugh my socks off at some of the 'opinions' on this forum. Welcome Ryan but please don't shed any tears when you read some of the remarks about you on here. Very few of them are like a stopped clock. Right twice a day.
Why would he shed any tears? Just a mix of opinion on his ability as a left-back, pretty fair and reasonable for any new signing and the majority of comments have been fairly positive.

Signings at the standard of lovren and wanyama.

Putting aside feelings for the board, if fans like and respect our new manager, which I believe the vast majority if not all do, then I think we should respect his judgement. If he likes Bertrand then that's all that matters and it's good enough for me.

Quite so. The usual miserable half-wits making their minds up on the basis of not having seen the player kick a ball for us yet, with no idea of what the manager's plans for him are, and no knowledge at all of who else will be brought in to play alongside him. I especially mean Hypo and Saint Richmond whose posts are like a stuck record. Somebody has to be particularly lacking any balance in their rational thinking to be so sure of the outcome of something that hasn't even started yet.

What part of "we have no idea how he will do for us and of course I hope he does well" is being so sure of the outcome? Learn to read Les.

He's got an interesting clip with Bob Marley on his instagram account - essentially saying money doesnt make you rich. I wonder if hes realised a big contract at Chelsea but being sidelined when it came to playing doesnt lead to being happy and fulfilled. Couldf be good news for us if he feels hes got something to prove.

http://instagram.com/p/q_5pguBxYZ/?modal=true

Edited by buctootim

Two players of completely different standard, there. No evidence that VW is any better than RB. Half of a Prem season where he was very effective.

I disagree. I think he was very decent for us last year and certainly the type of player we needed last season. Reports for Bertrand are very mixed and he isn't the type of exciting signing I was expecting. I think at the moment we appear to have lowered our expectations significantly from last season a d it will be interesting to see if we manage to capture any of these big name signings such as Rojo where you feel it would be a real coup. As someone said yesterday, had we signed Bertrand up after getting in the likes of Forster and others then it would be less disappointing for some. Signing Bertrand on loan makes you wonder if this is now the level we are aiming at (lower half of the prem) and that's disappointing after the last couple of years.

Edited by hypochondriac

Happy with this one. Means we can allocate more of our purchase budget to players a bit higher up the 'spectacular' scale in other arguably more important positions.

Welcome Ryan

If we spunked 10m now on a left back and then Targett has a good season then it's a huge waste of money. Yet if he does well, then great we can buy him at the end of the season!

What sort of loan fee will we be paying for him out of interest?

Does anyone know if he's played much pre-season? Likely to start tonight?

Partly answered my own question, doesn't look like he's played any pre-season games so far this summer, can't see him being involved tonight on that basis.

I disagree. I think he was very decent for us last year and certainly the type of player we needed last season. Reports for Bertrand are very mixed and he isn't the type of exciting signing I was expecting. I think at the moment we appear to have lowered our expectations significantly from last season a d it will be interesting to see if we manage to capture any of these big name signings such as Rojo where you feel it would be a real coup. As someone said yesterday, had we signed Bertrand up after getting in the likes of Forster and others then it would be less disappointing for some. Signing Bertrand on loan makes you wonder if this is now the level we are aiming at (lower half of the prem) and that's disappointing after the last couple of years.

moan,moan,moan

hes not the exciting signing you expect.

what makes you think rojo will be any better than ryan? ryan has premier league experience,chelsea signed him(must mean something),he wants to come here.

rojo,good wc,no premier league experience,doesnt want to come here,wants to see what other deals are available.

Welcome Ryan

This!

What is particularly annoying is the loan business.

With all that cash in the bank, we really should have been queuing up to get our metaphorical pants pulled down. I'm gutted the club isn't down at least 7m.

No ambition.

Big club like us should be paying 15m+. Really ******ed off we didnt

Obligatory quote from Chelsea supporting friend. This guy bleeds football and I thoroughly trust his opinion on a player (but then again, so do some of us and look at the cr*p and ill formed opinions we have sometimes):

"He is quite good. Quick and good in the tackle. Not really good enough for us yet though. Still do think, considering it was his champs league debut, he was motm in the final."

Given that Saints have something of a track record with LB it could be a great deal around; we know pace is important to Koeman and maybe the Saints LB finishing school can do its job.

Part of Chelsea's business model is making money from loans out which is how they can afford to keep so many players on their staff - it actually contributes to their FFP needs. If the buy-out is £10m then I wouldn't be surprised if the loan fee is around £2m (in addition to wages) which would be discounted off any purchase. So not free by any means but a sensible short-term fix to a problem.