Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

in the last 4 seasons, he has made 29 appearance away from chelsea

19 of those were in the championship

he played 38 games for chelsea within the last 4 seasons around those loans

he did alright at villa 2nd half of last season mind

hope he does well, This is an important season for him everything is here for him to flourish and make an impact

Unfortunately he's suffering from being the first one in the door after the ****e summer we've had so far. It would have had to be someone pretty bloody tasty to have prevented this kind of reaction.

This. If he'd been announced after the signings of Forster and Ings he would have got a warm welcome. Right now, in this situation, its not enough.

in the last 4 seasons, he has made 29 appearance away from chelsea

19 of those were in the championship

he played 38 games for chelsea within the last 4 seasons around those loans

he did alright at villa 2nd half of last season mind

hope he does well, This is an important season for him everything is here for him to flourish and make an impact

Thought he was poor for Villa, though admittedly it was also a poor Villa side.

We'll see - needs to kick on now rather than keep playing the Chelsea card.

Edited by shurlock

Didn't see much of Bertrand last season but I recall being quite impressed with his performance against us in the draw at Villa Park last season. Clyne didn't get forward much at all as I remember. He's no Shaw but I'm happy to give him a chance. Only right and proper if he's on our side.

Unfortunately he's suffering from being the first one in the door after the ****e summer we've had so far. It would have had to be someone pretty bloody tasty to have prevented this kind of reaction.

The same people moan that we don't make signings, then moan more when we do. Bertrand's a cracking signing, started 19 games for Chelsea in 12/13, played in the Champions football league. Yeah he's not as good as Shaw, but let's see where the 27 mil goes before comparing like with like

What's wrong with people. The lad is obviously a decent player not Shaw but he can play and was available and wanted to play. We get to try him out for the season rather than paying another £10m out. At the moment only a centre back to put us back where we were numbers wise if not yet quality wise yet. However with more signings I can see a big increase in the overall quality of the squad which we didn't have last year.

Anyone would think we'd re-animated Goebbels to play LB this season reading this thread. Ryan's a solid player, not spectacular but good enough to get us by while Targett develops - he's clearly seen as the future LB for the club so it makes sense to bring someone in now to rotate with him, and they seem quite similar in style as well so maybe he can learn a bit from watching Ryan play as he's had the benefit of receiving some top-level coaching in his career with Chelsea & also in the England set-up.

Welcome Ryan!

Let's face it, most on here are going to knock any and every signing unless it's a £25m one. Price ain't everything, look at Osvaldo, this could be a good signing and worth a punt and should at least be ready for first team action. May even be fitter than LS.

He's alright, nothing special. Shows the strategy doesn't it, him and the Inter guy on loan, 2 signings made and no permanent fees! Think we understand now. Such a shame for the club to have funds sucked out like that.

Guess this means no chance of Rojo then.

And no offence to Bertrand, welcome. Would think it was an ok signing if permanent, good competition for Targett etc.

But Ralph says we are going to re-invest all of our sales in the team - surely he wouldn't say something like that if it wasn't true, would he? ;)

Tadic, Pelle.

Stop being a ****, I think most of us have had the wind taken out of our sails since those two were signed. At that point with Koeman appointed I'd say most fans were hopeful for the new season. It's all the crap that's been going on since that has got many of us down again.

This is a good signing in my book, and as has been referenced the loan route gives Targett time to develop and challenge Bertrand for the left back position.

Bizarre that so many people are negative. One point that has been missed......this came right out of the blue and shows that the club may well have other deals brewing that are not in the rumour mill.....

What's wrong with people. The lad is obviously a decent player not Shaw but he can play and was available and wanted to play. We get to try him out for the season rather than paying another £10m out. At the moment only a centre back to put us back where we were numbers wise if not yet quality wise yet. However with more signings I can see a big increase in the overall quality of the squad which we didn't have last year.

I think it was just people including me were expecting Taider signing and hoping for Rojo - was initially underwhelmed but can see sense and if Ron wanted him then fair enough and have read he can improve players as well.

Bertrand is a massive upgrade on Fox - nowhere near as bad as Olivier Bernard - Shaw created what 2 assists no goals - doesnt have much to beat :-)

This is a good signing in my book, and as has been referenced the loan route gives Targett time to develop and challenge Bertrand for the left back position.

Bizarre that so many people are negative. One point that has been missed......this came right out of the blue and shows that the club may well have other deals brewing that are not in the rumour mill.....

It was discussed on here earlier today.

So, if he has a blinder with us, he will sign next summer yes.... No he will clear off to a 'top 6' club.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't!

If by dammed you mean we get an excellent LB free for a season, then yes we are dammed. We would all rather spend £15m on the next Luke Shaw but that's just not going to happen is it.

If we get to the end of the window and this is our only signing, then I will start to panic.

I'm not sure why people are annoyed because it's a loan signing. Just because we have money, doesn't mean we NEED to spend it.

By all accounts, Ryan is unproven at this level so it would seem pretty silly to go chucking a £5m transfer fee and 4 year contract at him if he turns out to be crap. This way we can get the best of both worlds with an option to buy.

I doubt he is on loan because we can't afford the transfer fee.

Exactly he's filled a gap that needed filling. Why spend over the odds on a player if it's not the right player for us. Save the cash and use it when the heat has died down and we can the right player for the right price. I'm sure half the people on here would prefer we got Danny Fox back. ;)

We sell a newly established England international for £30m and bring in a champions league winner with more than 50 premier league games under his belt and two England caps to his name, yet people are moaning because he's not some foreign export that cost £10m.

This is a very very very good piece of business, if he's bad then we don't have to buy, SHOULD he do well then we can sign him for a cut-price fee.

Now, I know it's hard for many to take in, but our ambition is not the same, perhaps signing him on a season long loan means more money is free'd up elsewhere to sign that 'marquee' player or two.

Stop being a ****, I think most of us have had the wind taken out of our sails since those two were signed. At that point with Koeman appointed I'd say most fans were hopeful for the new season. It's all the crap that's been going on since that has got many of us down again.

You said he is not getting a great reception because he was the first player in. He isn't so what is the reason? You don't have to use expletives to explain I'm sure. If you look after my post several other posters made exactly the same comment.

I think most of the underwhelming comments are partly due to him being a loan and maybe reflective of the clubs way forwards as opposed to being directed at the new player himself.

I for one wish him the best and hope we have a few more to follow. Ralph said three by the end of the week so we should know shortly.

All this talk about loans, surely we must be going to spend some of this money on a big money signing. Do they really think fans will be happy with loan deals when we have raked in as much money as we have.

Dont get me wrong, Bertrand is a name I felt would do a good job for us and I am sure he will, so not moaning about him as a player, but why are we getting on loan. Loans are no good unless the player deep down would want to sign permanently as otherwise the heart and soul truly isn't in it. Surely there is a huge deal around the corner

He's alright, nothing special though. Villa fans didn't want him anywhere near their team again, which rings a few alarm bells!!

I imagine this is the sort of signing which doesn't block Targett, and gives him a bit of competition. But with £90m in the bank, I'd have hoped for a little reinvestment into the LB area from the shaw sale.....but let's see how it works.

All this talk about loans, surely we must be going to spend some of this money on a big money signing. Do they really think fans will be happy with loan deals when we have raked in as much money as we have.

Dont get me wrong, Bertrand is a name I felt would do a good job for us and I am sure he will, so not moaning about him as a player, but why are we getting on loan. Loans are no good unless the player deep down would want to sign permanently as otherwise the heart and soul truly isn't in it. Surely there is a huge deal around the corner

It's a loan with a view to a permanent move. Nothing wrong with biding our time whilst he wears the shirt.

A couple of Villa supporting colleagues who see quite a bit of them reckon he did very for them on loan and are disappointed he isn't returning. One in particular will be venting his spleen at Paul Lambert who he does not rate as a manager! So it's not just Saints.

Solid signing to start with, need 6-7 more now.