Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

We sell a newly established England international for £30m and bring in a champions league winner with more than 50 premier league games under his belt and two England caps to his name, yet people are moaning because he's not some foreign export that cost £10m.

This is a very very very good piece of business, if he's bad then we don't have to buy, SHOULD he do well then we can sign him for a cut-price fee.

Now, I know it's hard for many to take in, but our ambition is not the same, perhaps signing him on a season long loan means more money is free'd up elsewhere to sign that 'marquee' player or two.

dont make out he is champions league class

he is going to get loads of support at saints. you dont need to over egg it for him

Write the poor bastard off before he's kicked a ball. FFS, there are some utter c***s on this forum.

Welcome Ryan. Hope you don't read this forum and if you do, ignore the w a n k e r s.

I think most are underwhelmed, its not Ryans fault, I think he'll be solid enough.

However, its pretty underwhelming after the losses and 90m in the bank

Don't know what everyone was expecting, there's not too many quality left backs around. Welcome Ryan. It's a good opportunity for him to get regular football. Whoever we got in was going to be a downgrade. We need a bit of perspective, I think it could be a decent signing, and it means we still have some funds in the bank

This is a good signing in my book, and as has been referenced the loan route gives Targett time to develop and challenge Bertrand for the left back position.

Bizarre that so many people are negative. One point that has been missed......this came right out of the blue and shows that the club may well have other deals brewing that are not in the rumour mill.....

Quote from Koeman in the the club statement

“I’ve been very impressed with how Matt Targett is doing in pre-season, but he is still young and developing, which I am sure he will continue to do over the coming seasons.

Would imagine it's because we wouldn't pay what Sporting wanted for Rojo, so opted for a quick loan fix.

Rojo is primarily a CB, who can play LB. I doubt it matters either way as it is unlikely we'll pay what Sporting want for him (16m, was it?) IMO

Christ. You guys are fickle. I remember we got Jack Cork on loan once from Chelsea. That turned out OK didn't it ?
And it was Jack who said we should sign Bertrand a year or so ago. They are mates and Jack follows Ryan on twitter as does Franny Benali who is an admirer.

He's alright, nothing special though. Villa fans didn't want him anywhere near their team again, which rings a few alarm bells

Where did you hear/read that?

I know a fair few villa fans and watched them a de times last year and he was one of the better players!!

They're all disappointed he didn't come back

You said he is not getting a great reception because he was the first player in. He isn't so what is the reason? You don't have to use expletives to explain I'm sure. If you look after my post several other posters made exactly the same comment.

I think most of the underwhelming comments are partly due to him being a loan and maybe reflective of the clubs way forwards as opposed to being directed at the new player himself.

I for one wish him the best and hope we have a few more to follow. Ralph said three by the end of the week so we should know shortly.

What I was attempting to say was that after the ****e start to the summer things looked up with the appointment of Koeman and the two signings you mention, but with the bad taste of Lovren throwing his toys out of the pram, the sale of Chambers and then yesterday's events, coupled with the fact that even if we hadn't sold anyone this season we'd have needed a few reinforcements, it's unsurprising that this has had a mixed reaction. If he'd have been signed at the same time as Tadic and Pelle he'd probably be getting a better reception.

We'll need a few more in the door before I and many others on here are happy, not to mention reassured that what the board are saying is anything but waffle to appease the fans.

Oh and one other thing, does anyone else think that if Bertrand had been our first choice replacement for Shaw we'd have just bought him outright? It's not like we're taking a punt on someone with no Premier League experience where's there's a reasonable element of risk involved is it?

Good signing with a big "upside" - still only 24 and the chance to get back to the level he was at not so very long ago. Defends pretty well and pacy pushing forward (and getting back).

This takes a little pressure off the Board and buys them some time to pursue the quality we're supposedly seeking in some other positions.

But, of course, there's no pleasing some of the folks who overreacted like spoilt kids yesterday.

Excellent business. A good solid full back to keep the seat warm whilst we blood targett. Option to buy if he's not ready by then or send him back with targett established as number one. Great foresight, can only be the work of one man. Les 'bates' Reed.

Where did you hear/read that?

I know a fair few villa fans and watched them a de times last year and he was one of the better players!!

They're all disappointed he didn't come back

There's a big thread on him on their forums, some thought he was ok but the majority thought he was average and didn't really want him back.

And it was Jack who said we should sign Bertrand a year or so ago. They are mates and Jack follows Ryan on twitter as does Franny Benali who is an admirer.

Now I will be watching closely for Benali-style scythings.

Solid enough. Presumably can't play against Chelsea though, so that's Targett pencilled in for two of the hardest games of the season :p
Good point. Those game will be fun :)

I'm still happy to wait a few weeks to see what the board and Koeman can provide in terms of incoming players, but this is pretty underwhelming, both from a playing and PR point of view - sell your left back for £27m and replace him with a freebie on loan for a year that has hardly played any PL football.

Write the poor bastard off before he's kicked a ball. FFS, there are some utter c***s on this forum.

Welcome Ryan. Hope you don't read this forum and if you do, ignore the w a n k e r s.

Probably the same ones that said last season the Lovren was ****e before he kicked a ball

Check out Bertrands best mate iamescobar on Instagram and you will understand why he has his career is upside down. It's all about the champagne, hos and partying for Mr B judging by the faux gangsta company he is keeping. Should be an excellent role model for the academy boys and excellent due diligence by Les Greed.

There's a big thread on him on their forums, some thought he was ok but the majority thought he was average and didn't really want him back.

In other words, a mixed opinion - a common theme on here it seems. Personally I haven't followed him very closely but I am willing to wait and see for myself.

Rojo is primarily a CB, who can play LB. I doubt it matters either way as it is unlikely we'll pay what Sporting want for him (16m, was it?) IMO

If this board still has ambitions they will have to spend money and with all that is going on i think they need to cough up that type of money...he's a bloody good player so its worth it

He's certainly no worse than Ben Davies.

I think it's a good signing - he's still relatively young, he's English, has played 50 games in the Premier League and won the champions league - plus he sounds like he wants to be here - which makes him a Saint in my books. And if he shows half the commitment of Benali he will be great for us.

He can play at left fullback and left wingback so we still might bring in Rojo to play left fullback and or left centreback. I am sure Koeman wants the option of being able to play 3 at the back with wing backs.

And maybe we've realised our youth players aren't all ready to be thrown in at the deep end