Season Predictions - Where Will We Finish

Gemmel

Robbie Savage has predicted bottom three for us so that makes me feel a little bit better.

As have some fans of other clubs on the BBC live feed today. Lazy predictions really, based on the very public knowledge we've lost our key players this summer. But we still have Clyne, Fonte, Wanyama, Davis, all good solid pros, and we've strengthened too.

We shouldn't be concerned with relegation, certainly not at the end of the season. If we do end up down there, we've been mismanaged, but in Koeman I can't see that happening.

What an awful coupl eof months, manager left, 6 players, loan replacements and now paying over the top for players like Long. I do like him but feel he isn't as good as Rickie and costing three times as much. Remy was £8.5 million so how is Long worth £12 million??

I do hope the new players gel and we have something to shout about but players like Rojo and Caulker seem to have ignored us and it's a pity we couldn't secure somenody of that calibre.

It's all about perspective.

Replacing manager who has had one good season with us with a manager who has a better track record and history than any other manager we've ever appointed. Losing 5 players but wrangling over the top prices from the biggest clubs in the country to allow us to replace well. Signing Europe's 3rd highest goalscorer in the last two years, the best player from the Eredevise, England's 3rd choice goalkeeper who has Champions League experience and taking players on loan from Chelsea (a champions league winner) and a quality player Inter Milan (Whilst shipping out the headcase Osvaldo), both with the option to buy at the end of the season with fee's already agreed? I'd take that any day.

We are paying over the odds for Long, but realistically, we wouldn't get him for any less than Hull paid for him at least and they will want to see some profit so they can get a quality replacement. I'm not a Shane Long fan at all but understand why Hull are making us pay over the odds, just like we did to Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Also, Remy's buyout clause of £8.5m is only an option to teams currently in the Champions League. If we wanted to sign him then the fee would have been around £18m and then add ons.

Rojo and Caulker are actually not in the same calibre. Rojo is much better. Of course he would ignore us when Manchester United came calling. Caulker apparently had a medical with us but he had the chance to work with an ex-manager and in an area he knows better. Can see why he went with them, and they would have offered him more money as they don't seem to care how much they pay if they land their targets.

Apologies if already posted (although it's only just appeared on the BBC's live stream) :

Dan Roan

BBC Sport

#PLPredictions

Posted at 11:11

"1. Liverpool, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, Bottom three: Southampton, Burnley, Leicester.

"Most people will understandably write Liverpool off having lost their best player & with the added burden of Europe again. But last season was no fluke. The runners-up have reinvested the Suarez cash wisely, and for the first time in years have proper strength in depth and a solid defence.

"In Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge they also possess the kind of young, attacking talent that will only improve, and which can compensate for the departure of their former talisman. Liverpool can go one better than last year, and be the surprise champions the premier league so desperately needs. There will be life after Luis, just you watch."

Apologies if already posted (although it's only just appeared on the BBC's live stream) :

Dan Roan

BBC Sport

#PLPredictions

Posted at 11:11

"1. Liverpool, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, Bottom three: Southampton, Burnley, Leicester.

"Most people will understandably write Liverpool off having lost their best player & with the added burden of Europe again. But last season was no fluke. The runners-up have reinvested the Suarez cash wisely, and for the first time in years have proper strength in depth and a solid defence.

"In Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge they also possess the kind of young, attacking talent that will only improve, and which can compensate for the departure of their former talisman. Liverpool can go one better than last year, and be the surprise champions the premier league so desperately needs. There will be life after Luis, just you watch."

The fact he is predicting Liverpool will win the league instantly takes away any credibility in his opinions.

However, I do fear a little for us this season. Our whole team spirit has been ripped out and those things aren't replaced overnight with £10m.

The fact he is predicting Liverpool will win the league instantly takes away any credibility in his opinions.[\B]

However, I do fear a little for us this season. Our whole team spirit has been ripped out and those things aren't replaced overnight with £10m.

My thoughts exactly.

Furthermore, if their second place finish was no fluke, how could they possibly be surprise champions, let alone the champions we're all apparently craving for.

Edited by Donatello

As have some fans of other clubs on the BBC live feed today. Lazy predictions really, based on the very public knowledge we've lost our key players this summer. But we still have Clyne, Fonte, Wanyama, Davis, all good solid pros, and we've strengthened too.

We shouldn't be concerned with relegation, certainly not at the end of the season. If we do end up down there, we've been mismanaged, but in Koeman I can't see that happening.

If we get relegated we can storm the directors box at the last match of the season

Capture Uncle Les put a dunces cap on his head and lead him round the ground

He would have a placard saying " i was a donkey to sell all the best players without signing replacements "

That would be entertainment

Robbie Savage has predicted bottom three for us so that makes me feel a little bit better.

even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. Sadly I'm with the **** on this occasion. I think we will go down.

At this moment in time I think how we'll do depends on,

1) Pelle and/or Long hitting the ground running and grabbing goals early; it's crucial having lost our three top scorers either to injury or Brendan's Bottler Brigade that our new strike-force are among the goals ASAP so as to boost confidence and build momentum, otherwise too much pressure will be placed on J-Rod to instantly return to the heights of last season. (If he ever plays for us again that is)

2) Forster, Fonte/Gardos and Wanyama/Morgan (If he plays, if not then Taider assuming Cork's off) forming a solid defensive spine and staying fit; if this happens there could be similar good times ahead this season as last, but we can't afford to have the injuries at the back and a subsequent December/January slump like last year as I highly doubt we'll be in such lethal early season form, consistency is key.

3) Schneiderlin either being talked round by Koeman, or sent on his not so merry way; having him causing trouble and potentially unsettling others until January will be extremely harmful to morale and cause unwanted negative media attention. I still have hope he'll step out in Saints colours again, but if there's no chance that'll happen then I'd honestly rather we cut our losses, provided of course that a bid comes in at the right price and it's not from Spurs. A lot of ifs and buts regarding this though, so unfortunately I can see it rumbling on until the window shuts and beyond.

4) Somebody stepping up creatively and getting that final ball right! Having gone to see the Bayer 04 game, and watching the Bompey game on YT, it is clear that whilst we still play some really great stuff in the midfield areas and pushing into the opposition half, we are still too tentative in finding that killer pass/cross to unlock the defense. I am hoping that Ramirez and Tadic can form an understanding and our full backs can develop they're crossing ability so we have multiple avenues of service for our strikers, or else we'll be struggling as I think with perfect service Pelle will bang in the goals but if not he doesn't seem to have the technical prowess to make things happen for himself like Rickie did. I'd love for him to prove me wrong of course, but that is what I've gathered. Haven't mentioned Long as I'm unsure as to whether he'll be playing off Pelle like a poacher or out wide.

If everything comes together positively, I predict top 10, but if not then comfortably lower mid-table (14th sort of area). I don't see us struggling awfully to get to 40 points as I still maintain we are a better side than all we finished above last season except for Newcastle and possibly (eugh) Stoke. People forget how low the quality of the bottom 10 teams in this league was last year, albeit some have strengthened, but not to the level we were at last year I don't think.

At the risk of sounding confrontational, how exactly have you come to that prediction?

Games are won and lost by the tightest of margins and I think those margins have been lost. Fans are underestimating the impact of losing Lallana, Shaŵ and Lovren. I also think Morgan will go too. Too much quality going out.

• 3 weeks later...
Still too early for this, 2nd September after the dust has settled is when it should be done...

...That said, we can speculate. As it stands with the squad as it is, we will struggle, finishing possibly 14th to 17th, possibly surprising people with luck behind us as high as, say, 12th. But we all know signings will still be made, and some of the links have been very positive. With the right signings, we could we finish as high as we did last season.

This season is transitional for us though, I'll be happy with 14th or higher, meaning we've done no worse than in the season after promotion.

I said September 2nd and I stand by it!

So the transfers in have been good, if they can gel quickly (and the relatively unknown qualities of Gardos and Mané prove to be good) then we should be in for a top half finish. We look strong defensively. My slight concern is creativity but overall I don't think we're much weaker than last season.

I'm going to predict 10th.

I am rubbish at predicting but I would go for 10th too. Still early days but I think we will be better at putting weaker teams to the sword under RK whereas we might not pick up so many points against the stronger sides. I get the feeling that RK is looking for more goals from midfield which is no bad thing. Pelle I am sure will score goals - how many who knows. Long I am not so sure about but hey, if Morgan gets on the score sheet more often who cares! It will be an interesting season f'sure!

Just checked back on the other predictions thread as I wasn't entirely sure what I said.

I plumped for 9-14th, saying I didn't think much would separate those places. As it stands I'd probably still say about there. Having Forster & boruc should help. Another CB and I think the first XI is looking in reasonably good shape. Still a little worried on depth, though that was an issue last year and it still didn't end too bad then. The keeper situation was the biggest killer imo.

So yeah, slightly worse off than last year, but I don't see us getting relegated.

Yeah probably about this.

Batman/TDD :mcinnes:

I don't think I was too far wrong saying 12th - 14th.

I'd say 10th - 12th if pushed for an answer now, maybe with a good cup run.

I think we're looking very good for creativity. Very interested to see how Tadic, Pelle, Mane and JRod (when he's back) work together. Could create a lot of problems for a number of defenses.

7th, above Spurs.

We could have been 7th or even 6th last season had we not had the injuries to Boruc and Wanyama and latterly Rodriguez. We now have some quite decent cover in more depth than last season, particularly in defence and more options in attack, especially when Rodriguez returns. I think that tactically Koeman is better than Pochettino too, and will set up a team better to counter the opposition than he did. It would be nice to think that we will receive praise from the pundits for the exciting attacking and passing football that we will play, hopefully as displayed against Liverpool and West Ham, rather than that against West Brom. I don't see any team overwhelming us particularly, because we have a solid midfield in front of a decent defence and goalkeeper.

It has been strange the transition from when we last in the PL to the past couple of seasons. Before, there was trepidation when we played the top teams, but last season we could potentially beat any team on the day and I feel the same way now, despite losing those players. We are now an unknown quantity to many teams and we could surprise a lot of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Blues

Gunners

Citeh

Spuds

Reds

Manure

Toffees

Barcodes

Potters

Saints

Mackems

Foxes

Irons

Palarse

Tigers

Hoops

Villains

Clarets

Baggies

Jacks

Yep - mid table max. Unless we start buying quality soon. But it's still early.

I hope we start to make some significant signings soon.